Ridiculous new Geforce Now pricing
  3 / 4    
I agree with scafidmj. I thought I don't have to buy PC for gaming and keep my Macbook Air gaming throught GFN, but if it will be $25 for 20 hours I won't use it. First of all, I am from Kazakhstan/Russia and we have an alternative called Playkey, servers are near and ping is less. Secondly, I don't need an ultra graphic. I would rather play medium settings, but without lags and paying less. I have never thought about buying 1070 or even 1080 to just play games, it's not profitably. Thirdly, in my region we don't often buy games. I started buying games only for multiplayer or online streaming platforms(such as GFN or Playkey). A lot of people won't use GFN because of it's price. You are not only paying $25/20hours, but you also should get a good Wi-Fi router or USB-Ethernet adapter, a good Internet connection and paid games. Sorry for my English.
I agree with scafidmj. I thought I don't have to buy PC for gaming and keep my Macbook Air gaming throught GFN, but if it will be $25 for 20 hours I won't use it.

First of all, I am from Kazakhstan/Russia and we have an alternative called Playkey, servers are near and ping is less.
Secondly, I don't need an ultra graphic. I would rather play medium settings, but without lags and paying less. I have never thought about buying 1070 or even 1080 to just play games, it's not profitably.
Thirdly, in my region we don't often buy games. I started buying games only for multiplayer or online streaming platforms(such as GFN or Playkey). A lot of people won't use GFN because of it's price. You are not only paying $25/20hours, but you also should get a good Wi-Fi router or USB-Ethernet adapter, a good Internet connection and paid games.

Sorry for my English.

Posted 12/10/2017 12:20 AM   
I was going to buy a macbook pro, and then i saw geforce now and i got hyped, i was so damn happy about this feature. i thought " it'd be like 10-15$ a month" , and then i saw the pricing... srsly? 25$ for 10 hours? why? now i'm disappointed and i'm not going to even go near geforce now.
I was going to buy a macbook pro, and then i saw geforce now and i got hyped, i was so damn happy about this feature.
i thought " it'd be like 10-15$ a month" , and then i saw the pricing... srsly? 25$ for 10 hours? why?
now i'm disappointed and i'm not going to even go near geforce now.

Posted 12/14/2017 12:01 AM   
Well the service is still in beta and free, the prices were orientative and they can decide to change it in every moment. When beta finish and they publish the real prices will be the momment to talk about it, but raise so many critiques to something that is totally orientative and perhaps nothing to do with the final price has no sense. Wait until beta finish and then we will see.
Well the service is still in beta and free, the prices were orientative and they can decide to change it in every moment. When beta finish and they publish the real prices will be the momment to talk about it, but raise so many critiques to something that is totally orientative and perhaps nothing to do with the final price has no sense. Wait until beta finish and then we will see.

Posted 12/14/2017 01:04 PM   
I would expect the prices to be along the lines of [url=https://liquidsky.com/#pricing]Liquid Sky[/url]. They offer 25 hours for $9.99. But it is dependent on how much processing / GPU power you want. You can halve the number of hours if you want double the vCPU cores and vGPU RAM.
I would expect the prices to be along the lines of Liquid Sky.
They offer 25 hours for $9.99. But it is dependent on how much processing / GPU power you want. You can halve the number of hours if you want double the vCPU cores and vGPU RAM.

Posted 12/14/2017 07:19 PM   
I just bought a Mac instead of Razer because I knew I could play on my Mac with this OSOM service, Hats off for you guys. But the price is just ridiculous, I mean, That would be maybe a "fair price" for a month!, regardless if you played 1 hour or 200 hours. the thing is, as I read before, you won't be able to fully experience the game, you just advance trough cut scenes and other stuff in trade of more gameplay. I would definitely unsubscribe from this service if thats the final price.
I just bought a Mac instead of Razer because I knew I could play on my Mac with this OSOM service, Hats off for you guys. But the price is just ridiculous, I mean, That would be maybe a "fair price" for a month!, regardless if you played 1 hour or 200 hours. the thing is, as I read before, you won't be able to fully experience the game, you just advance trough cut scenes and other stuff in trade of more gameplay. I would definitely unsubscribe from this service if thats the final price.

Posted 12/15/2017 03:12 AM   
I was really excited about this service being a mac user, but the price is too high for me. Even 25 hours for 9.99 might be a questionable decision on my part. Might just buy a xbox. My understanding is that if it's too cheap to start, the servers would have too much load. The beta already has a waiting list. I guess it's about fitting the consumer to the server. No one buys prices have to go down. Everyone buys prices have to go up. Supply and demand. At the right price I'd consider it but I will be in no rush to pay 25 dollars for 20 hours lol
I was really excited about this service being a mac user, but the price is too high for me. Even 25 hours for 9.99 might be a questionable decision on my part. Might just buy a xbox.

My understanding is that if it's too cheap to start, the servers would have too much load. The beta already has a waiting list. I guess it's about fitting the consumer to the server. No one buys prices have to go down. Everyone buys prices have to go up. Supply and demand. At the right price I'd consider it but I will be in no rush to pay 25 dollars for 20 hours lol

Posted 01/01/2018 06:23 AM   
I can only chime in with the previous posters, GFN is a great service but to perfectly honest, I don't know who calculated the current price figure was a fair value, I just don't see how it's competitive to buying a new computer instead- it would been one thing if Blizzard offered the games for free as part of the subscription but seeing as you pay for them yourself now... at least to me there is no value in GFN once it's out of beta.
I can only chime in with the previous posters, GFN is a great service but to perfectly honest, I don't know who calculated the current price figure was a fair value, I just don't see how it's competitive to buying a new computer instead- it would been one thing if Blizzard offered the games for free as part of the subscription but seeing as you pay for them yourself now... at least to me there is no value in GFN once it's out of beta.

Posted 01/11/2018 02:21 AM   
$25 for 20 hours is too high for me too. As a Mac game GeForce Now is light in the tunnel's end but I don't think I am willing to pay that much for it. Better finish Witcher 3 before the beta ends.
$25 for 20 hours is too high for me too. As a Mac game GeForce Now is light in the tunnel's end but I don't think I am willing to pay that much for it. Better finish Witcher 3 before the beta ends.

Posted 01/18/2018 10:51 AM   
I've been testing with Parsec lately, on times that Nvidia Geforce NOW had the Steam login problem (it still has, now and then). Here are some pro's and cons of NVIDIA Geforce NOW at the proposed price of $25 for 20 hours of play on an NVIDIA 1060, compared to my test rig on Parsec (Paperspace P4000) which I pay $0.40/hour for + a separate monthly charge of $10 for 500gb of SSD storage: PRO NVIDIA: - much quicker and less latency - better GPU than the Nvidia Quadro P4000 I tested with - cleaner interface than the Remote Desktop experience of Parsec - way easier to setup - no need to do maintenance on the cloud machine - unlimited disk storage CON NVIDIA: - streaming bandwidth / framerate cap is not as configurable - monthly pricing where extra hours will probably be very expensive - only 20 hours instead of the 37.5 on Parsec ($25-$10 for storage = $15 / $0.40 = 37.5 hours) - limited to the games added by NVIDIA, which might delay the availability of newer titles, either AAA or indie Early Access stuff... - cloud computer can't be used for other things, while Parsec + Paperspace offers a complete Windows PC in the cloud that can be used with whatever kind of software you want As you can see NVIDIA compares pretty well with this pricing, especially knowing that the P4000 GPU on Paperspace is way less powerful than the 1060 on Geforce NOW... they do have more powerful GPU's, but not at a $0.40/hour rate. I think we all need to 'think different' and do the math here... perhaps buy a console to play 90% of your games on, and just play those PC-only titles on your cloud gaming system... this could be a really good and budget-friendly combination...
I've been testing with Parsec lately, on times that Nvidia Geforce NOW had the Steam login problem (it still has, now and then). Here are some pro's and cons of NVIDIA Geforce NOW at the proposed price of $25 for 20 hours of play on an NVIDIA 1060, compared to my test rig on Parsec (Paperspace P4000) which I pay $0.40/hour for + a separate monthly charge of $10 for 500gb of SSD storage:

PRO NVIDIA:
- much quicker and less latency
- better GPU than the Nvidia Quadro P4000 I tested with
- cleaner interface than the Remote Desktop experience of Parsec
- way easier to setup
- no need to do maintenance on the cloud machine
- unlimited disk storage

CON NVIDIA:
- streaming bandwidth / framerate cap is not as configurable
- monthly pricing where extra hours will probably be very expensive
- only 20 hours instead of the 37.5 on Parsec ($25-$10 for storage = $15 / $0.40 = 37.5 hours)
- limited to the games added by NVIDIA, which might delay the availability of newer titles, either AAA or indie Early Access stuff...
- cloud computer can't be used for other things, while Parsec + Paperspace offers a complete Windows PC in the cloud that can be used with whatever kind of software you want

As you can see NVIDIA compares pretty well with this pricing, especially knowing that the P4000 GPU on Paperspace is way less powerful than the 1060 on Geforce NOW... they do have more powerful GPU's, but not at a $0.40/hour rate.

I think we all need to 'think different' and do the math here... perhaps buy a console to play 90% of your games on, and just play those PC-only titles on your cloud gaming system... this could be a really good and budget-friendly combination...

Posted 01/25/2018 03:54 PM   
Gonna say just this. Save up those 20 USD or so. Time flies fast - VERY fast. Keep saving, be unrelenting, don't fall for buying dumb stuff or using your money on crap that's irrelevant, and follow your goal - save enough for a gaming PC. You don't need so much. You don't need a 1080. You don't need a 8700K. Even a Ryzen 1600 and a GTX 1060 will allow you to play everything at High/Ultra@1080p - and it will last you 3 years at least. During those 3 years, you keep saving, so you can buy new stuff. This service is an incredible ripoff. Do keep in mind that unlike your own, bought PC, there won't be any "tricks" on their GFNow VMs to play AAA title, you will have to buy each and any of those too. And yes, this is the future, and it's revolutionary, it was from the start, back when Nvidia was not a player in this streaming thing. But you know what? I am happy that they came up with such ridiculous prices! Why? Because it means it will fail. Why do I want GFNow to fail? Because I want PCs to last and not get obsolete, that's why. I want the freedom to OC my stuff and tweak voltages if I choose to, and I want to do things my way, on MY PC. If GFNow would be a cheap service, it would truly start chipping away at the already weak PC scene. GPUs are pricey, lots of stuff is buggy, things rarely work as advertised and need extensive troubleshooting, consoles are getting faster and so on. So it's a good thing Nvidia are so greedy. A good thing for the PC. Let this die peacefully. **************************************** PS: It's UNBELIEVABLE that Nvidia are so clueless in this pricing scheme. Who is this service for? Somebody with enough money will buy a PC or gaming laptop and disregard this crap.This service is good for people that are poor and need a gaming PC. And you want to charge these people 20 USD for not even a full day of gaming? Preposterous and irresponsible.
Gonna say just this.

Save up those 20 USD or so. Time flies fast - VERY fast. Keep saving, be unrelenting, don't fall for buying dumb stuff or using your money on crap that's irrelevant, and follow your goal - save enough for a gaming PC.

You don't need so much. You don't need a 1080. You don't need a 8700K. Even a Ryzen 1600 and a GTX 1060 will allow you to play everything at High/Ultra@1080p - and it will last you 3 years at least.

During those 3 years, you keep saving, so you can buy new stuff.

This service is an incredible ripoff. Do keep in mind that unlike your own, bought PC, there won't be any "tricks" on their GFNow VMs to play AAA title, you will have to buy each and any of those too.

And yes, this is the future, and it's revolutionary, it was from the start, back when Nvidia was not a player in this streaming thing.

But you know what? I am happy that they came up with such ridiculous prices! Why? Because it means it will fail.

Why do I want GFNow to fail? Because I want PCs to last and not get obsolete, that's why. I want the freedom to OC my stuff and tweak voltages if I choose to, and I want to do things my way, on MY PC.

If GFNow would be a cheap service, it would truly start chipping away at the already weak PC scene. GPUs are pricey, lots of stuff is buggy, things rarely work as advertised and need extensive troubleshooting, consoles are getting faster and so on.

So it's a good thing Nvidia are so greedy. A good thing for the PC. Let this die peacefully.

PS: It's UNBELIEVABLE that Nvidia are so clueless in this pricing scheme. Who is this service for? Somebody with enough money will buy a PC or gaming laptop and disregard this crap.This service is good for people that are poor and need a gaming PC. And you want to charge these people 20 USD for not even a full day of gaming?
Preposterous and irresponsible.

i7 8700K
MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
ADATA XPG Dazzle 16GB DDR4 3000MHz CL16
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING 8G
Fujitsu Siemens Amilo LSL3230T 1080p
Windows 10 x64 Professional SCU

Posted 01/28/2018 05:20 AM   
[quote="Undon3"]This service is an incredible ripoff. Do keep in mind that unlike your own, bought PC, there won't be any "tricks" on their GFNow VMs to play AAA title, you will have to buy each and any of those too.[/quote] I hope you don't mean PIRACY when talking about TRICKS??? [quote="Undon3"] Why do I want GFNow to fail? Because I want PCs to last and not get obsolete, that's why. I want the freedom to OC my stuff and tweak voltages if I choose to, and I want to do things my way, on MY PC. [/quote] Sure, but I think most clients will be those using macOS or slower/cheaper PC's, who want to play a game occasionally, without messing with hardware to be able to... [quote="Undon3"] If GFNow would be a cheap service, it would truly start chipping away at the already weak PC scene. GPUs are pricey, lots of stuff is buggy, things rarely work as advertised and need extensive troubleshooting, consoles are getting faster and so on. [/quote] I don't think the PC scene is weak. There's enough people who really want their own machine for gaming, like to tinker with software and hardware, and play enough on it to justify the higher price vs a console... Consoles are rapidly catching up though, the only thing where they are lacking (in my point of view) is the lack of crossplatdorm online multiplayer (really, why can't PC, Xbox and PS4 players just play online together, its 2018...), and the fact that most indie titles start out on PC, usually under an early-access license, and only get available for consoles when they are out of beta... if you are lucky... I live on my Macs, I have a MacBook that goes with me everywhere I go, and a Mac mini that sits in my bedroom office. Both machines are from 2012, and are still blazingly fast with everything I throw at them. While they are not game computers, I do enjoy gaming and do 90% on it on my Xbox One. The other 10% is on NVIDIA Geforce NOW / Parsec + Paperspace so I can play along with my friends and family who don't own a console, but who do own a PC... I know some people who wanted to switch to the Mac but were held back by the fact that it's a poor gaming machine. When I talked to them about cloud gaming and the estimate of what it would cost, most of them were very interested in making the switch... so there really IS a demand for cloud gaming... and I hope NVIDIA will do this right!
Undon3 said:This service is an incredible ripoff. Do keep in mind that unlike your own, bought PC, there won't be any "tricks" on their GFNow VMs to play AAA title, you will have to buy each and any of those too.

I hope you don't mean PIRACY when talking about TRICKS???

Undon3 said:
Why do I want GFNow to fail? Because I want PCs to last and not get obsolete, that's why. I want the freedom to OC my stuff and tweak voltages if I choose to, and I want to do things my way, on MY PC.

Sure, but I think most clients will be those using macOS or slower/cheaper PC's, who want to play a game occasionally, without messing with hardware to be able to...

Undon3 said:
If GFNow would be a cheap service, it would truly start chipping away at the already weak PC scene. GPUs are pricey, lots of stuff is buggy, things rarely work as advertised and need extensive troubleshooting, consoles are getting faster and so on.

I don't think the PC scene is weak. There's enough people who really want their own machine for gaming, like to tinker with software and hardware, and play enough on it to justify the higher price vs a console... Consoles are rapidly catching up though, the only thing where they are lacking (in my point of view) is the lack of crossplatdorm online multiplayer (really, why can't PC, Xbox and PS4 players just play online together, its 2018...), and the fact that most indie titles start out on PC, usually under an early-access license, and only get available for consoles when they are out of beta... if you are lucky...

I live on my Macs, I have a MacBook that goes with me everywhere I go, and a Mac mini that sits in my bedroom office. Both machines are from 2012, and are still blazingly fast with everything I throw at them. While they are not game computers, I do enjoy gaming and do 90% on it on my Xbox One. The other 10% is on NVIDIA Geforce NOW / Parsec + Paperspace so I can play along with my friends and family who don't own a console, but who do own a PC...

I know some people who wanted to switch to the Mac but were held back by the fact that it's a poor gaming machine. When I talked to them about cloud gaming and the estimate of what it would cost, most of them were very interested in making the switch... so there really IS a demand for cloud gaming... and I hope NVIDIA will do this right!

Posted 01/28/2018 01:31 PM   
I wouldn't mind a monthly subscription at a cheap price for the 1060 graphics or a higher price yet reasonable for 1080 but I cant pay 25 for only 20 hours for 1060 nor can I pay for 1080 for only 10 hours it just discourages me from paying considering I play games a lot just to cough up another 25 dollars every week or 2 and by the time I get three months in I could have probably bought an actual gtx 1060 for 280-300 dollars which equals 12 weeks or 240 hours or less of game time which is too much for too little for a game service that is amazing.
I wouldn't mind a monthly subscription at a cheap price for the 1060 graphics or a higher price yet reasonable for 1080 but I cant pay 25 for only 20 hours for 1060 nor can I pay for 1080 for only 10 hours it just discourages me from paying considering I play games a lot just to cough up another 25 dollars every week or 2 and by the time I get three months in I could have probably bought an actual gtx 1060 for 280-300 dollars which equals 12 weeks or 240 hours or less of game time which is too much for too little for a game service that is amazing.

Posted 02/05/2018 07:38 PM   
[quote="stormychel"][quote="Undon3"]This service is an incredible ripoff. Do keep in mind that unlike your own, bought PC, there won't be any "tricks" on their GFNow VMs to play AAA title, you will have to buy each and any of those too.[/quote] I hope you don't mean PIRACY when talking about TRICKS??? [quote="Undon3"] Why do I want GFNow to fail? Because I want PCs to last and not get obsolete, that's why. I want the freedom to OC my stuff and tweak voltages if I choose to, and I want to do things my way, on MY PC. [/quote] Sure, but I think most clients will be those using macOS or slower/cheaper PC's, who want to play a game occasionally, without messing with hardware to be able to... [quote="Undon3"] If GFNow would be a cheap service, it would truly start chipping away at the already weak PC scene. GPUs are pricey, lots of stuff is buggy, things rarely work as advertised and need extensive troubleshooting, consoles are getting faster and so on. [/quote] I don't think the PC scene is weak. There's enough people who really want their own machine for gaming, like to tinker with software and hardware, and play enough on it to justify the higher price vs a console... Consoles are rapidly catching up though, the only thing where they are lacking (in my point of view) is the lack of crossplatdorm online multiplayer (really, why can't PC, Xbox and PS4 players just play online together, its 2018...), and the fact that most indie titles start out on PC, usually under an early-access license, and only get available for consoles when they are out of beta... if you are lucky... I live on my Macs, I have a MacBook that goes with me everywhere I go, and a Mac mini that sits in my bedroom office. Both machines are from 2012, and are still blazingly fast with everything I throw at them. While they are not game computers, I do enjoy gaming and do 90% on it on my Xbox One. The other 10% is on NVIDIA Geforce NOW / Parsec + Paperspace so I can play along with my friends and family who don't own a console, but who do own a PC... I know some people who wanted to switch to the Mac but were held back by the fact that it's a poor gaming machine. When I talked to them about cloud gaming and the estimate of what it would cost, most of them were very interested in making the switch... so there really IS a demand for cloud gaming... and I hope NVIDIA will do this right! [/quote] The pc scene isnt even remotely weak. The PC hardware market is worth billions and is stronger now then its ever been in the past. Thanks to China (and pubg) its exploding ever faster in 2018! As for GFN, I could see some really neat use cases for it even at this price, but Im not sure their enough to keep the service afloat. Being able to spin up your own impromptu lan party could be really cool. You might only have 1 gaming PC but most people have a PC that could run GFN, or a spare laptop. Being able to setup a night of COOP gaming or MP gaming with an out of town friend or two could be a lot of fun. I dont see it replacing a gaming system though, not at those hourly rates. Even with the elevated GPU prices right now its just too cheap to setup a nice gaming system (a 8th gen i3, 7th gen i5, or ryzen + 1050ti/1060 class gpu is an excellent system that will play most anything at high @1080p). Another big negative IMO to GFN is lack of VR support. There is no way you will be able to play a VR game streamed, the latency would just be a vomit generator. And since a 1070 class GPU will handle the vast majority of VR content and the headsets are half the price they were a year ago thats giving up a lot if your a major gamer (I had a Oculus DK2 a few years ago and will be getting one of the 2nd gen sets later this year hopefully.. its worth it).
stormychel said:
Undon3 said:This service is an incredible ripoff. Do keep in mind that unlike your own, bought PC, there won't be any "tricks" on their GFNow VMs to play AAA title, you will have to buy each and any of those too.

I hope you don't mean PIRACY when talking about TRICKS???

Undon3 said:

Sure, but I think most clients will be those using macOS or slower/cheaper PC's, who want to play a game occasionally, without messing with hardware to be able to...

Undon3 said:

I don't think the PC scene is weak. There's enough people who really want their own machine for gaming, like to tinker with software and hardware, and play enough on it to justify the higher price vs a console... Consoles are rapidly catching up though, the only thing where they are lacking (in my point of view) is the lack of crossplatdorm online multiplayer (really, why can't PC, Xbox and PS4 players just play online together, its 2018...), and the fact that most indie titles start out on PC, usually under an early-access license, and only get available for consoles when they are out of beta... if you are lucky...

I live on my Macs, I have a MacBook that goes with me everywhere I go, and a Mac mini that sits in my bedroom office. Both machines are from 2012, and are still blazingly fast with everything I throw at them. While they are not game computers, I do enjoy gaming and do 90% on it on my Xbox One. The other 10% is on NVIDIA Geforce NOW / Parsec + Paperspace so I can play along with my friends and family who don't own a console, but who do own a PC...

I know some people who wanted to switch to the Mac but were held back by the fact that it's a poor gaming machine. When I talked to them about cloud gaming and the estimate of what it would cost, most of them were very interested in making the switch... so there really IS a demand for cloud gaming... and I hope NVIDIA will do this right!

The pc scene isnt even remotely weak. The PC hardware market is worth billions and is stronger now then its ever been in the past. Thanks to China (and pubg) its exploding ever faster in 2018!

As for GFN, I could see some really neat use cases for it even at this price, but Im not sure their enough to keep the service afloat. Being able to spin up your own impromptu lan party could be really cool. You might only have 1 gaming PC but most people have a PC that could run GFN, or a spare laptop. Being able to setup a night of COOP gaming or MP gaming with an out of town friend or two could be a lot of fun.

I dont see it replacing a gaming system though, not at those hourly rates. Even with the elevated GPU prices right now its just too cheap to setup a nice gaming system (a 8th gen i3, 7th gen i5, or ryzen + 1050ti/1060 class gpu is an excellent system that will play most anything at high @1080p). Another big negative IMO to GFN is lack of VR support. There is no way you will be able to play a VR game streamed, the latency would just be a vomit generator. And since a 1070 class GPU will handle the vast majority of VR content and the headsets are half the price they were a year ago thats giving up a lot if your a major gamer (I had a Oculus DK2 a few years ago and will be getting one of the 2nd gen sets later this year hopefully.. its worth it).

Posted 02/08/2018 12:47 AM   
I'm not paying this much for this service when there exists a cheaper alternative like Parsec for cloud gaming as cheap as 40 cents an hour. Nvidia you f**ked up.
I'm not paying this much for this service when there exists a cheaper alternative like Parsec for cloud gaming as cheap as 40 cents an hour. Nvidia you f**ked up.

Posted 02/12/2018 09:02 PM   
I would pay no more than $20 a month for any service. I would make an exception for Geforce Now, but 25 for 20 hours for someone heavy into gaming and wants a gaming PC but wasn't born into a wealthy family so I can't afford a 1000 dollar gpu let alone 750 a month for an equivalent service.
I would pay no more than $20 a month for any service. I would make an exception for Geforce Now, but 25 for 20 hours for someone heavy into gaming and wants a gaming PC but wasn't born into a wealthy family so I can't afford a 1000 dollar gpu let alone 750 a month for an equivalent service.

Posted 02/12/2018 09:14 PM   
  3 / 4    
Scroll To Top