Ridiculous new Geforce Now pricing
  1 / 4    
Nvidia, I love your Geforce Now service. I do really do. You have mentioned a tweet of mine in two of your blogs, so you know I'm telling the truth. But this new pricing of 25$ (probably will be 25 euros) for 20 hours worth of game time you announced on CES. It is crazy! I strongly believe there won't be many people buying in to this. Your service is revolutionary and could change the landscape of gaming, at least that's what I think, but only if people are willing to go along with your vision. And with this price, not a lot of people will. I calculated that for the price of a Playstation Pro I can play 320 hours on Geforce Now, and thats only the starting price. I play around 10 hours a week on average. I know some people that play way more hours on average per week. That means that I can buy a Playstation Pro every 32 weeks I use Geforce Now. And than I don't even have to own a NVDIA SHIELD (which I have, and love btw) or a PC/MAC. Or I can buy a new graphics card of 400 euros every 32 weeks. Can you see how ridiculous this sounds? If you agree with me community, please rase your voice. I know it is a small effort, and maybe no one from Nvidia wil notice, but at least you did your part. I know building and maintaining a service like Geforce Now costs a lot of money, but I believe with this pricing there won't be anyone (or at least not many) using it. Kind regards,
Nvidia,

I love your Geforce Now service. I do really do. You have mentioned a tweet of mine in two of your blogs, so you know I'm telling the truth. But this new pricing of 25$ (probably will be 25 euros) for 20 hours worth of game time you announced on CES. It is crazy! I strongly believe there won't be many people buying in to this. Your service is revolutionary and could change the landscape of gaming, at least that's what I think, but only if people are willing to go along with your vision. And with this price, not a lot of people will. I calculated that for the price of a Playstation Pro I can play 320 hours on Geforce Now, and thats only the starting price. I play around 10 hours a week on average. I know some people that play way more hours on average per week. That means that I can buy a Playstation Pro every 32 weeks I use Geforce Now. And than I don't even have to own a NVDIA SHIELD (which I have, and love btw) or a PC/MAC. Or I can buy a new graphics card of 400 euros every 32 weeks. Can you see how ridiculous this sounds? If you agree with me community, please rase your voice. I know it is a small effort, and maybe no one from Nvidia wil notice, but at least you did your part. I know building and maintaining a service like Geforce Now costs a lot of money, but I believe with this pricing there won't be anyone (or at least not many) using it.

Kind regards,

Posted 01/05/2017 09:44 AM   
Does this apply to just the PC & Mac GFN experience, the GFN experience in general? Say, like on the Nvidia shield TV; will it still be $8 a month?
Does this apply to just the PC & Mac GFN experience, the GFN experience in general? Say, like on the Nvidia shield TV; will it still be $8 a month?

Posted 01/05/2017 09:58 AM   
Ya if they keep it 25$ for 20 hours I'm going to have to unsubscribe. Was just considering purchasing a ps4 but then decided its not necessary and to expensive compared to geforce now. Now with 25$ for 20 hours ps4 seems like the better choice for me in the long run. Going to complete all paid games I have yet to before this new price BS comes.then I'm out.
Ya if they keep it 25$ for 20 hours I'm going to have to unsubscribe. Was just considering purchasing a ps4 but then decided its not necessary and to expensive compared to geforce now. Now with 25$ for 20 hours ps4 seems like the better choice for me in the long run. Going to complete all paid games I have yet to before this new price BS comes.then I'm out.

Posted 01/05/2017 10:24 AM   
It's also not clear to me if the new pricing model only applies to the new PC & Mac GFN experience or also to the SHIELD ATV. Just in case, I will stop buying games and finish all the purchased ones to be able to cancel my subscription. I really hope that it doesn't come to that. Considering costs for Witcher 3, it takes 47 hours on average to finish it (according to howlongtobeat.com), but it can take up to 165 hours: - 47 hours ~ 58.75$ - 165 hours ~ 206.25$ That alone is already way too expensive, but in addition to that you would most probably still have to buy the game itself for 50$. The only way I would see this work is if all the games would be "free" (as in the Witcher 3 case 58.75$ for 47 hours play time are roughly the same as the game price of 50$). Still, hourly billing leaves a bad taste in the mouth as you would always have in the back of your mind that you are playing against the clock (instead of fully immersing yourself in the game).
It's also not clear to me if the new pricing model only applies to the new PC & Mac GFN experience or also to the SHIELD ATV.

Just in case, I will stop buying games and finish all the purchased ones to be able to cancel my subscription. I really hope that it doesn't come to that.

Considering costs for Witcher 3, it takes 47 hours on average to finish it (according to howlongtobeat.com), but it can take up to 165 hours:
- 47 hours ~ 58.75$
- 165 hours ~ 206.25$
That alone is already way too expensive, but in addition to that you would most probably still have to buy the game itself for 50$.

The only way I would see this work is if all the games would be "free" (as in the Witcher 3 case 58.75$ for 47 hours play time are roughly the same as the game price of 50$).

Still, hourly billing leaves a bad taste in the mouth as you would always have in the back of your mind that you are playing against the clock (instead of fully immersing yourself in the game).

Posted 01/05/2017 10:59 AM   
where's the news about the GFN pricing?
where's the news about the GFN pricing?

Posted 01/05/2017 11:41 AM   
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/01/04/live-nvidia-ces-2017-keynote/ "GeForce Now will be available in March for early users, and for $25 for 20 hours of plays.. It’s basically a GeForce gaming PC on demand."
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/01/04/live-nvidia-ces-2017-keynote/

"GeForce Now will be available in March for early users, and for $25 for 20 hours of plays.. It’s basically a GeForce gaming PC on demand."

Posted 01/05/2017 11:48 AM   
*sigh* i knew it would be too good to be true. This is way too expensive for me. That and they wont let anyone outsie of US to use it? Wtf is with that?
*sigh* i knew it would be too good to be true. This is way too expensive for me. That and they wont let anyone outsie of US to use it? Wtf is with that?

Posted 01/05/2017 12:16 PM   
the pricing is very confusing. GFN via shield is still priced at the normal price, but now advertised as pascal gpu's with upcoming multiplayer games. However, GFN for PC/Mac pricing above has it at $25 for 20 hours. I'm guessing for what I've seen with the CES reveal is that GFN for PC/Mac is your PC/Mac accessing cloud hardware. i.e, instead of paying $1000 graphics card for your pc, you can use the virtual hardware. I wonder this is where the difference lies.
the pricing is very confusing.
GFN via shield is still priced at the normal price, but now advertised as pascal gpu's with upcoming multiplayer games.
However, GFN for PC/Mac pricing above has it at $25 for 20 hours.

I'm guessing for what I've seen with the CES reveal is that GFN for PC/Mac is your PC/Mac accessing cloud hardware. i.e, instead of paying $1000 graphics card for your pc, you can use the virtual hardware. I wonder this is where the difference lies.

Posted 01/05/2017 12:41 PM   
It is all very confusing, it would be nice if they posted news about GFN on the GNF forum.
It is all very confusing, it would be nice if they posted news about GFN on the GNF forum.

Posted 01/05/2017 01:08 PM   
I hope it will only apply to the PC/MAC client (still ridiculous), because it would be crazy to change the price for existing GFN subscribers from 8 dollars for a month to 25 dollars for 20 hours. @exaccuss Where did you read it will only launch in the US? I hope Nvidia can give us some clarification as regards to GFN on SHIELD soon, otherwise I will have to finish The Witcher Blood & Wine as soon as possible and quit GFN. @riaz1982. They said a Geforce 1080 experience. You can find those for 600 dollars at the lowest. Do the math, 480 hours of gaming in Geforce Now. If you spend 600 dollars every 3 year on a new graphics card (which only gaming enthusiasts do) you can spend roughly 2,7 hours on gaming every week on average with Geforce Now for the same amount of money! Nvidia said they want to reach people that don't have a gaming ready PC. They don't have one for a reason. They either don't care about gaming, in which case Nvidia will never reach them, or they don't want to spend that much money on a expensive gaming machine. Nvidia won't reach them either, because GFN is way to expensive for them.
I hope it will only apply to the PC/MAC client (still ridiculous), because it would be crazy to change the price for existing GFN subscribers from 8 dollars for a month to 25 dollars for 20 hours. @exaccuss Where did you read it will only launch in the US? I hope Nvidia can give us some clarification as regards to GFN on SHIELD soon, otherwise I will have to finish The Witcher Blood & Wine as soon as possible and quit GFN.

@riaz1982. They said a Geforce 1080 experience. You can find those for 600 dollars at the lowest. Do the math, 480 hours of gaming in Geforce Now. If you spend 600 dollars every 3 year on a new graphics card (which only gaming enthusiasts do) you can spend roughly 2,7 hours on gaming every week on average with Geforce Now for the same amount of money! Nvidia said they want to reach people that don't have a gaming ready PC. They don't have one for a reason. They either don't care about gaming, in which case Nvidia will never reach them, or they don't want to spend that much money on a expensive gaming machine. Nvidia won't reach them either, because GFN is way to expensive for them.

Posted 01/05/2017 01:18 PM   
[quote="shielded"]It's also not clear to me if the new pricing model only applies to the new PC & Mac GFN experience or also to the SHIELD ATV. Just in case, I will stop buying games and finish all the purchased ones to be able to cancel my subscription. I really hope that it doesn't come to that. Considering costs for Witcher 3, it takes 47 hours on average to finish it (according to howlongtobeat.com), but it can take up to 165 hours: - 47 hours ~ 58.75$ - 165 hours ~ 206.25$ That alone is already way too expensive, but in addition to that you would most probably still have to buy the game itself for 50$. The only way I would see this work is if all the games would be "free" (as in the Witcher 3 case 58.75$ for 47 hours play time are roughly the same as the game price of 50$). Still, hourly billing leaves a bad taste in the mouth as you would always have in the back of your mind that you are playing against the clock (instead of fully immersing yourself in the game).[/quote] And then you have to buy the game at retail price when it is released.. And what about games that take 21 hours to play. Do you have to pay a full 50 dollars, or will it be 26,25 dollars? And what about Indi games that takes only a couple of hours to compleet and costs 10-20 dollars on Steam? Do you still have to 25 dollars. Naaahh.. It would be less crazy, but it would still be crazy.
shielded said:It's also not clear to me if the new pricing model only applies to the new PC & Mac GFN experience or also to the SHIELD ATV.

Just in case, I will stop buying games and finish all the purchased ones to be able to cancel my subscription. I really hope that it doesn't come to that.

Considering costs for Witcher 3, it takes 47 hours on average to finish it (according to howlongtobeat.com), but it can take up to 165 hours:
- 47 hours ~ 58.75$
- 165 hours ~ 206.25$
That alone is already way too expensive, but in addition to that you would most probably still have to buy the game itself for 50$.

The only way I would see this work is if all the games would be "free" (as in the Witcher 3 case 58.75$ for 47 hours play time are roughly the same as the game price of 50$).

Still, hourly billing leaves a bad taste in the mouth as you would always have in the back of your mind that you are playing against the clock (instead of fully immersing yourself in the game).

And then you have to buy the game at retail price when it is released.. And what about games that take 21 hours to play. Do you have to pay a full 50 dollars, or will it be 26,25 dollars? And what about Indi games that takes only a couple of hours to compleet and costs 10-20 dollars on Steam? Do you still have to 25 dollars. Naaahh.. It would be less crazy, but it would still be crazy.

Posted 01/05/2017 01:31 PM   
I think GeForce Now on the ShieldTV has the same pricing as before. Notice that you only get one free month now instead of three. But some official clarification would be helpful...If existing Shield owners/ GFN fans like us can't figure it out, how is the general public (new customers) supposed to understand?
I think GeForce Now on the ShieldTV has the same pricing as before. Notice that you only get one free month now instead of three. But some official clarification would be helpful...If existing Shield owners/ GFN fans like us can't figure it out, how is the general public (new customers) supposed to understand?

Posted 01/05/2017 02:33 PM   
I believe these values are for service on PC`s / Macs. From what I understand, in PCs and Macs, Geforce Now will be more like Liquid Sky, with access to games from the Steam and Origin library. I really hope that this and for us who are of the shield remain the same. In case this change is also for the service in the shield, I undo my signature immediately.
I believe these values are for service on PC`s / Macs. From what I understand, in PCs and Macs, Geforce Now will be more like Liquid Sky, with access to games from the Steam and Origin library.

I really hope that this and for us who are of the shield remain the same.

In case this change is also for the service in the shield, I undo my signature immediately.

Posted 01/05/2017 03:47 PM   
[quote="jezwinni"]It is all very confusing, it would be nice if they posted news about GFN on the GNF forum.[/quote] +1
jezwinni said:It is all very confusing, it would be nice if they posted news about GFN on the GNF forum.

+1

Posted 01/05/2017 04:16 PM   
Hi The pricing you saw at CES was GFN for PC and Mac. Shield pricing remains unchanged. Hope this helps.
Hi

The pricing you saw at CES was GFN for PC and Mac. Shield pricing remains unchanged.

Hope this helps.

Posted 01/05/2017 04:36 PM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top