How to downgrade Geforce Experience back to v2.11.4.0 and block the update
  1 / 3    
I finally found the best way to block the crappy GeForce Experience 3.x.x update. Follow the steps below to block the NVIDIA GeForce Experience update feature. [b]Downgrade Geforce Experience to 2.11.40:[/b] If you're still using an older version then you can skip this step [b]1.[/b] If you've already updated GFE to 3.x.x, access "Uninstall or change a program" dialog from Control Panel or from My Computer (Win10: This PC) and uninstall it. [b]2.[/b] Download and install last stable version (2.11.4.0): http://www.filehorse.com/download-nvidia-geforce-experience/26526/ [b]Block the Geforce Experience 3.x.x update:[/b] [b]1.[/b] Navigate to the folder C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\GeForce Experience\ and delete the "Update" folder [b]2.[/b] Download the hosts file https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_6TXpxCnMc7NkU1NVNYakxmN1k [b]3.[/b] Navigate to the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and replace the hosts file. If your computer does not have hosts file, you can safety place the downloaded hosts file. [color="orange"](Administrator password may be required)[/color] [b]4.[/b] Reboot your computer The hosts file contains "0.0.0.0 gfwsl.geforce.com" which blocks the update [b]How to manually add a host in hosts file:[/b] [b]1.[/b] Download Notepad++ [b]2.[/b] Navigate to the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc [b]3.[/b] Right click on hosts file and select "Edit with Notepad++" [img]http://i.imgur.com/HMynfjB.png[/img] [b]4.[/b] Create a new line and add this host [code]0.0.0.0 gfwsl.geforce.com[/code] [img]http://i.imgur.com/wAmzGX9.png[/img] [b]5.[/b] Save it, but It will ask you to launch Notepad++ in Administrator mode since modifying something in system32 folder require admin access for security reason. Click "Yes". UAC will popup and click "Yes" again. [color="orange"](Administrator password may be required)[/color] [img]http://i.imgur.com/0Rsut99.png[/img] [b]6.[/b] Save it one more time and the file is saved To confirm that the update is permanently blocked, make sure that the "Update" folder is deleted. Open Geforce Experience -> Prefences and click on "Check for update". It will ask you to install. Click "Install now". If it restarts and do nothing, it means the update is blocked successfully! [img]http://i.imgur.com/7FWMT4E.png[/img] Enjoy gaming! [b][color="orange"]Note: Nvidia Driver update will be blocked. You can update driver manually from[/color] http://www.geforce.com/drivers[/b]
I finally found the best way to block the crappy GeForce Experience 3.x.x update.

Follow the steps below to block the NVIDIA GeForce Experience update feature.

Downgrade Geforce Experience to 2.11.40:
If you're still using an older version then you can skip this step

1. If you've already updated GFE to 3.x.x, access "Uninstall or change a program" dialog from Control Panel or from My Computer (Win10: This PC) and uninstall it.
2. Download and install last stable version (2.11.4.0): http://www.filehorse.com/download-nvidia-geforce-experience/26526/

Block the Geforce Experience 3.x.x update:
1. Navigate to the folder C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\GeForce Experience\ and delete the "Update" folder
2. Download the hosts file https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_6TXpxCnMc7NkU1NVNYakxmN1k

3. Navigate to the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and replace the hosts file. If your computer does not have hosts file, you can safety place the downloaded hosts file. (Administrator password may be required)

4. Reboot your computer

The hosts file contains "0.0.0.0 gfwsl.geforce.com" which blocks the update

How to manually add a host in hosts file:
1. Download Notepad++
2. Navigate to the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
3. Right click on hosts file and select "Edit with Notepad++"

4. Create a new line and add this host

0.0.0.0 gfwsl.geforce.com

5. Save it, but It will ask you to launch Notepad++ in Administrator mode since modifying something in system32 folder require admin access for security reason. Click "Yes". UAC will popup and click "Yes" again. (Administrator password may be required)

6. Save it one more time and the file is saved

To confirm that the update is permanently blocked, make sure that the "Update" folder is deleted. Open Geforce Experience -> Prefences and click on "Check for update". It will ask you to install. Click "Install now". If it restarts and do nothing, it means the update is blocked successfully!

Enjoy gaming!

Note: Nvidia Driver update will be blocked. You can update driver manually from
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Posted 10/25/2016 04:00 PM   
Nice one. Was thinking of doing this myself, but glad you posted it for everyone to see. Fuck GE3 - it is beyond useless.
Nice one. Was thinking of doing this myself, but glad you posted it for everyone to see.
Fuck GE3 - it is beyond useless.

Posted 10/25/2016 04:45 PM   
That's too bad. I love the new 3.0+ of Geforce-experience. Guess I'm one of the lucky few that have only few problems
That's too bad.
I love the new 3.0+ of Geforce-experience.
Guess I'm one of the lucky few that have only few problems

If you have Driver, GeForce Experience or Shadowplay "Share(BETA)" problems click here> DDU Click here> MY GeForce Experience "SHARE" GUIDE to find your recording and streaming settings. -MY PC 'HARDWARE' (software) INFORMATION-> || EVGA PRECISION XOC x64 v6.1.16 || Eset Nod32 Antivirus 10.1.219.0 || HWiNFO64 v5.58-3255 || running nvidia driver 387.92 || geforce experience version 3.10.0.95 beta ||NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Wireless Glasses Kit Model 942-11431-0007-001 || OS: WINDOWS 10 Home 64 bit version 1703 (OS build-15063.674)|| Logitech Gaming Software v8.96.81 (mouse, keyboard and headset) || MainBoard: MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt Intel ATX UEFI AND LEGACY BIOS {BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V10.6, 9/29/2013} (Memory Fast Boot off) (Limited Windows 8 Feature enabled Bios) w/ Realtec HD Audio onboard v6.0.1.8036 || CPU: INTEL(R) CORE(TM) i7 3770k Ivy Bridge @ 3.5 ghz - oc genie @ 4.2ghz COOLERMASTER V6 GT Heatsink cooling solution || Ram: 32 GB Patriot Intel memory @ 1600 Ghz x.m.p. profile || 2x EVGA© backplates 100-BP-0972-B9 on my 2x GPU-video cards: EVGA© GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2978-KR 4GB FTW GAMING ACX 2.0 Silent Cooling Graphics Card (sli enabled)EVGA Pro SLI Bridge V2 (2-Way Long) Model 100-2W-0023-LR || FIRESRIKE score=16249/Time Spy=6734 || PSU: PC Power&Cooling 950w silencer mkII 80+silver || Drive 1: ADATA SX900 223 Gb SSD BOOT RECORD (SATA3) || Drive 2: CORSAIR FORCE GS 238 Gb SSD BACKUP SYS IMG || Drive 3: SAMSUNG 840 PRO 238 Gb SSD GAME EXE. FILES || Drive 4: SEAGATE ST2000M001-1CH164 2 Tb HDD SHADOWPLAY SAVE FILES || Drive 5: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 1 Tb SSD for Shadowplay Temp files, future games and software || blue yeti mic || logitech g502 mouse, Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, G933 headset and C615 HD Webcam || Case: COOLERMASTER HAF 932(FULL TOWER)3.0usb || Dual Monitors: Main (gaming only) ASUS VG248QE 24" 1ms 144Hz 1920x1080p on a DVI-I port DUAL LINK + Second monitor (w/all media web and apps) ASUS VH232H 23" 5ms Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor 1920x1080 resolution @ 60Hz connected via DVI-D single port || Sage's Twitch and YouTube Channel (still working 2x: EVGA® gtx 660 SC 2Gb with sli bridge ready for a new home :D)Free Firestrike/Time Spy Demo and Benchmark Download ImageImage

Posted 10/26/2016 02:05 AM   
[quote="unknown_sage"]That's too bad. I love the new 3.0+ of Geforce-experience. Guess I'm one of the lucky few that have only few problems [/quote]I'm one of those that don't have any problems with it besides being unable to choose custom installation on driver updates (this is a new bug though) and the fact YouTube broadcast support (which is far better than Twitch) is only possible on 3.0 and up so their loss I guess. [quote="Worldscaper"]Fuck GE3 - it is beyond useless.[/quote]It's not useless at all.
unknown_sage said:That's too bad.
I love the new 3.0+ of Geforce-experience.
Guess I'm one of the lucky few that have only few problems
I'm one of those that don't have any problems with it besides being unable to choose custom installation on driver updates (this is a new bug though) and the fact YouTube broadcast support (which is far better than Twitch) is only possible on 3.0 and up so their loss I guess.
Worldscaper said:Fuck GE3 - it is beyond useless.
It's not useless at all.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.6GHz
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1600MHz
GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
Monitor: Emerson 40" HDTV 1920x1080
Mobo: ASUS P9X79 LE LGA 2011 Intel X79

Posted 10/26/2016 02:07 AM   
Share is working great but it have some bugs. GameStream have a lot of problems so i decided to downgrade to older version
Share is working great but it have some bugs. GameStream have a lot of problems so i decided to downgrade to older version

Posted 10/26/2016 10:02 AM   
You took my instructions from [url=https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/970413/geforce-experience/can-not-reset-password-no-email-recieved/post/4992479/#4992479]here[/url] and wrote a long complex post about it lol. Unless you're silly enough to navigate to and click the "Check For Updates" button, the Hosts file change isn't at all necessary. Also Nvidia still hosts the Installation File for the old version of Geforce Experience on their server so there is no reason to link to an unofficial host of the product that may/may not contain a virus infection.
You took my instructions from here and wrote a long complex post about it lol. Unless you're silly enough to navigate to and click the "Check For Updates" button, the Hosts file change isn't at all necessary.

Also Nvidia still hosts the Installation File for the old version of Geforce Experience on their server so there is no reason to link to an unofficial host of the product that may/may not contain a virus infection.

Custom built PC | Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1066MHZ RAM | Gigabyte 760 4GB OC1 Windforce x3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Corsair 760AX Platinum PSU | Fractal Design Define R5 computer case | Samsung P2350 monitor

Posted 10/26/2016 10:20 AM   
[quote="Franpa"]You took my instructions from [url=https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/970413/geforce-experience/can-not-reset-password-no-email-recieved/post/4992479/#4992479]here[/url] and wrote a long complex post about it lol. Unless you're dumb enough to navigate to and click the "Check For Updates" button, the Hosts file change isn't at all necessary. Also Nvidia still hosts the Installation File for the old version of Geforce Experience on their server so there is no reason to link to an unofficial host of the product that may/may not contain a virus infection.[/quote] Took your instruction? no, i took it from youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykU9wfsNtdg There is no need to click on "Check For Updates" button but it is to confirm that the update is blocked Deleting "Update" doesn't help. GFE may update itself without notice. There is no need to call me a dumb
Franpa said:You took my instructions from here and wrote a long complex post about it lol. Unless you're dumb enough to navigate to and click the "Check For Updates" button, the Hosts file change isn't at all necessary.

Also Nvidia still hosts the Installation File for the old version of Geforce Experience on their server so there is no reason to link to an unofficial host of the product that may/may not contain a virus infection.

Took your instruction? no, i took it from youtube
There is no need to click on "Check For Updates" button but it is to confirm that the update is blocked
Deleting "Update" doesn't help. GFE may update itself without notice.
There is no need to call me a dumb

Posted 10/26/2016 04:41 PM   
[quote="ShaunV2"]It's not useless at all.[/quote] If all you want are the latest drivers, don't want bloat to get it, don't want to login to get it, don't give a crap about the other features, constantly get blank screens and a non responsive app, and the app sits and spins instead of logging you in, and there's zero solutions from nVidia or even from users other than reinstall.... Then yes, it's completely useless.
ShaunV2 said:It's not useless at all.

If all you want are the latest drivers, don't want bloat to get it, don't want to login to get it, don't give a crap about the other features, constantly get blank screens and a non responsive app, and the app sits and spins instead of logging you in, and there's zero solutions from nVidia or even from users other than reinstall....

Then yes, it's completely useless.

Posted 10/26/2016 07:09 PM   
[quote="teslamodel"][quote="Franpa"]You took my instructions from [url=https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/970413/geforce-experience/can-not-reset-password-no-email-recieved/post/4992479/#4992479]here[/url] and wrote a long complex post about it lol. Unless you're dumb enough to navigate to and click the "Check For Updates" button, the Hosts file change isn't at all necessary. Also Nvidia still hosts the Installation File for the old version of Geforce Experience on their server so there is no reason to link to an unofficial host of the product that may/may not contain a virus infection.[/quote] Took your instruction? no, i took it from youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykU9wfsNtdg There is no need to click on "Check For Updates" button but it is to confirm that the update is blocked Deleting "Update" doesn't help. GFE may update itself without notice.[/quote] Interesting, I came up with my solution myself and didn't check if someone else came up with the solution before I did. Sorry. Because it is so easy to downgrade the program I decided to take the risk and see what happens when I click the "Check for updates" button. In Task Manager (configured to refresh frequently) there is zero indication of any Nvidia component ever using the Ethernet connection (I use Ethernet to connect to the modem). The program also does not show any indication of an update being detected or begin downloading of any update. It is possible that new Nvidia Drivers will upgrade it though, I'm actually expecting this to happen and for me to have to downgrade Geforce Experience after every driver update. I also won't be surprised if Nvidia tries to block the old version of Geforce Experience by hardcoding a incompatibility in to newer drivers/make new drivers ONLY work with new versions of Geforce Experience.
teslamodel said:
Franpa said:You took my instructions from here and wrote a long complex post about it lol. Unless you're dumb enough to navigate to and click the "Check For Updates" button, the Hosts file change isn't at all necessary.

Took your instruction? no, i took it from youtube
There is no need to click on "Check For Updates" button but it is to confirm that the update is blocked
Deleting "Update" doesn't help. GFE may update itself without notice.

Interesting, I came up with my solution myself and didn't check if someone else came up with the solution before I did. Sorry.

Because it is so easy to downgrade the program I decided to take the risk and see what happens when I click the "Check for updates" button. In Task Manager (configured to refresh frequently) there is zero indication of any Nvidia component ever using the Ethernet connection (I use Ethernet to connect to the modem). The program also does not show any indication of an update being detected or begin downloading of any update.

It is possible that new Nvidia Drivers will upgrade it though, I'm actually expecting this to happen and for me to have to downgrade Geforce Experience after every driver update. I also won't be surprised if Nvidia tries to block the old version of Geforce Experience by hardcoding a incompatibility in to newer drivers/make new drivers ONLY work with new versions of Geforce Experience.

Custom built PC | Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1066MHZ RAM | Gigabyte 760 4GB OC1 Windforce x3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Corsair 760AX Platinum PSU | Fractal Design Define R5 computer case | Samsung P2350 monitor

Posted 10/27/2016 04:30 AM   
[quote="Voqar"][quote="ShaunV2"]It's not useless at all.[/quote] If all you want are the latest drivers, don't want bloat to get it, don't want to login to get it, don't give a crap about the other features, constantly get blank screens and a non responsive app, and the app sits and spins instead of logging you in, and there's zero solutions from nVidia or even from users other than reinstall.... Then yes, it's completely useless. [/quote]Except I don't have ANY problems with GFE at all and have no problems with the login unlike many of you who complain about some so called forced login which is just childish behavior. Login works fine, all functions work as intended.
Voqar said:

If all you want are the latest drivers, don't want bloat to get it, don't want to login to get it, don't give a crap about the other features, constantly get blank screens and a non responsive app, and the app sits and spins instead of logging you in, and there's zero solutions from nVidia or even from users other than reinstall....

Except I don't have ANY problems with GFE at all and have no problems with the login unlike many of you who complain about some so called forced login which is just childish behavior.

Login works fine, all functions work as intended.

Posted 10/27/2016 09:25 PM   
[quote="ShaunV2"][quote="Voqar"][quote="ShaunV2"]It's not useless at all.[/quote] If all you want are the latest drivers, don't want bloat to get it, don't want to login to get it, don't give a crap about the other features, constantly get blank screens and a non responsive app, and the app sits and spins instead of logging you in, and there's zero solutions from nVidia or even from users other than reinstall.... Then yes, it's completely useless. [/quote]Except I don't have ANY problems with GFE at all and have no problems with the login unlike many of you who complain about some so called forced login which is just childish behavior. Login works fine, all functions work as intended.[/quote]Check the topic I linked to in my last post, although i detest the need to login in order to use functions that don't even involve any online activity or social media crap... I gave Geforce Experience v3.0 a go and it refuses to let me login so not a great introduction lol. That reinforced the idea that the login is dumb, it only makes sense for those partaking in the social competitions and streaming functions. The rest of the functions shouldn't be barred from free use!
ShaunV2 said:
Voqar said:

Except I don't have ANY problems with GFE at all and have no problems with the login unlike many of you who complain about some so called forced login which is just childish behavior.

Check the topic I linked to in my last post, although i detest the need to login in order to use functions that don't even involve any online activity or social media crap... I gave Geforce Experience v3.0 a go and it refuses to let me login so not a great introduction lol. That reinforced the idea that the login is dumb, it only makes sense for those partaking in the social competitions and streaming functions. The rest of the functions shouldn't be barred from free use!

Posted 10/28/2016 11:35 AM   
[quote="Franpa"]Check the topic I linked to in my last post, although i detest the need to login in order to use functions that don't even involve any online activity or social media crap... I gave Geforce Experience v3.0 a go and it refuses to let me login so not a great introduction lol. That reinforced the idea that the login is dumb, it only makes sense for those partaking in the social competitions and streaming functions. The rest of the functions shouldn't be barred from free use![/quote] i login with my Google account, and i never got any login issues
Franpa said:Check the topic I linked to in my last post, although i detest the need to login in order to use functions that don't even involve any online activity or social media crap... I gave Geforce Experience v3.0 a go and it refuses to let me login so not a great introduction lol. That reinforced the idea that the login is dumb, it only makes sense for those partaking in the social competitions and streaming functions. The rest of the functions shouldn't be barred from free use!

i login with my Google account, and i never got any login issues

Posted 10/28/2016 02:49 PM   
[quote="Franpa"][quote="ShaunV2"][quote="Voqar"][quote="ShaunV2"]It's not useless at all.[/quote] If all you want are the latest drivers, don't want bloat to get it, don't want to login to get it, don't give a crap about the other features, constantly get blank screens and a non responsive app, and the app sits and spins instead of logging you in, and there's zero solutions from nVidia or even from users other than reinstall.... Then yes, it's completely useless. [/quote]Except I don't have ANY problems with GFE at all and have no problems with the login unlike many of you who complain about some so called forced login which is just childish behavior. Login works fine, all functions work as intended.[/quote]Check the topic I linked to in my last post, although i detest the need to login in order to use functions that don't even involve any online activity or social media crap... I gave Geforce Experience v3.0 a go and it refuses to let me login so not a great introduction lol. That reinforced the idea that the login is dumb, it only makes sense for those partaking in the social competitions and streaming functions. The rest of the functions shouldn't be barred from free use![/quote]GFE 3.x.x brings new features including YouTube Broadcast Support which GFE 2.x.x lacks and a much better looking GUI and it has much greater performance over GFE 2.x.x. Everything about GFE 3.x.x is several times better over GFE 2.x.x plus I made an account and can login just fine. At the moment I am forced to manually download the newest driver only because the custom installation on GFE is broken and only allows you to use express installation which I don't want because I have no use for the 3D Vision drivers which are useless to me and seriously they should be bundled separately.
Franpa said:
ShaunV2 said:
Voqar said:

Check the topic I linked to in my last post, although i detest the need to login in order to use functions that don't even involve any online activity or social media crap... I gave Geforce Experience v3.0 a go and it refuses to let me login so not a great introduction lol. That reinforced the idea that the login is dumb, it only makes sense for those partaking in the social competitions and streaming functions. The rest of the functions shouldn't be barred from free use!
GFE 3.x.x brings new features including YouTube Broadcast Support which GFE 2.x.x lacks and a much better looking GUI and it has much greater performance over GFE 2.x.x.

Everything about GFE 3.x.x is several times better over GFE 2.x.x plus I made an account and can login just fine.

At the moment I am forced to manually download the newest driver only because the custom installation on GFE is broken and only allows you to use express installation which I don't want because I have no use for the 3D Vision drivers which are useless to me and seriously they should be bundled separately.

Posted 10/29/2016 07:28 PM   
Bumping this back to the front page as I have been receiving messages asking how to downgrade to version 2. Just ignore the fanboys trying to deny the blatantly obvious about how bad GFE3 is.
Bumping this back to the front page as I have been receiving messages asking how to downgrade to version 2.

Just ignore the fanboys trying to deny the blatantly obvious about how bad GFE3 is.

Posted 11/01/2016 12:32 PM   
ok all is fine (install, play game and update driver, connect my compte) but i can't stream or make a video, it's says "can"t connect, try to connect to internet" and "impossible to connect to nvidia"
ok all is fine (install, play game and update driver, connect my compte) but i can't stream or make a video, it's says "can"t connect, try to connect to internet" and "impossible to connect to nvidia"
Posted 11/04/2016 10:32 AM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top