Latest drivers have killed Fallout NV, 3 & Oblivion
Just wanted to bring this to the attention of the dev team, the latest drivers brake FONV, 3 and Oblivion, they just crash on loading and I've been searching other forums to find other people have the problem with the latest drivers and latest update for Win 10. For now I'll downgrade but please fix ASAP Nvidia! Thanks.
Just wanted to bring this to the attention of the dev team, the latest drivers brake FONV, 3 and Oblivion, they just crash on loading and I've been searching other forums to find other people have the problem with the latest drivers and latest update for Win 10. For now I'll downgrade but please fix ASAP Nvidia!

Thanks.

Posted 09/26/2016 09:35 PM   
Windows 10 and Gaming drivers seem to be a complete mess. I would have expected 3 companies to have their ducks in a row: Intel, Nvidia, and AMD, as their drivers are the most critical. So far, all 3 have struggled, though Intel has done the best. The fact that Nvidia and AMD both have major Windows 10 AU drivers issues says to me that Microsoft has done a poor job of partnering and communicating with Nvidia/AMD engineers. It also tells me that things have changed significantly architecturally in windows. If you're going to make a ton of changes to a stable system, you have to be extra proactive in making sure everyone knows how to deal with them, particularly when new hardware has been in development for some time. As an engineer, few things are as frustrating as when you find out that something has changed ONLY when it breaks. Secret changes are a path to disaster :)
Windows 10 and Gaming drivers seem to be a complete mess.

I would have expected 3 companies to have their ducks in a row: Intel, Nvidia, and AMD, as their drivers are the most critical.

So far, all 3 have struggled, though Intel has done the best.

The fact that Nvidia and AMD both have major Windows 10 AU drivers issues says to me that Microsoft has done a poor job of partnering and communicating with Nvidia/AMD engineers. It also tells me that things have changed significantly architecturally in windows.

If you're going to make a ton of changes to a stable system, you have to be extra proactive in making sure everyone knows how to deal with them, particularly when new hardware has been in development for some time.

As an engineer, few things are as frustrating as when you find out that something has changed ONLY when it breaks. Secret changes are a path to disaster :)

CPU: i7-6700k @ stock
RAM: 64GB of DDR4 3200
GPU: Titan Pascal
MB: Asus Z170-Premium BIOS 2202
SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVME M.2
Displays: 2 x Asus Swift PG279Q

Posted 09/26/2016 10:13 PM   
[quote="Jordanx98"]Just wanted to bring this to the attention of the dev team, the latest drivers brake FONV, 3 and Oblivion, they just crash on loading and I've been searching other forums to find other people have the problem with the latest drivers and latest update for Win 10. For now I'll downgrade but please fix ASAP Nvidia! Thanks.[/quote] [url]https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/966915/geforce-drivers/official-372-90-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-9-21-16-/post/4980875/#4980875[/url]
Jordanx98 said:Just wanted to bring this to the attention of the dev team, the latest drivers brake FONV, 3 and Oblivion, they just crash on loading and I've been searching other forums to find other people have the problem with the latest drivers and latest update for Win 10. For now I'll downgrade but please fix ASAP Nvidia!

Thanks.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/966915/geforce-drivers/official-372-90-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-9-21-16-/post/4980875/#4980875

Intel Core i7-6700K
Asus STRIX Nvidia GTX 1070 @ 378.49
Asus Z170-A
Auzentech X-FI Prelude 7.1
16 GB DDR 4-3000 Corsair Vengeance
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 PCIe 256 GB
Windows 10 x64 17033
formerly known as Roland01 ;)

Posted 09/26/2016 10:32 PM   
Oblivion too? Crap I was thinking of reinstalling that. No one knows when this is going to be fixed?
Oblivion too?
Crap
I was thinking of reinstalling that.

No one knows when this is going to be fixed?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3
RAM: Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Processor: i-5 6600k
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060
Cooler: Thermaltake NiC C5
Power Supply: Evga 500 B

Posted 09/27/2016 02:25 AM   
[quote="Naota Channel"]Oblivion too? Crap I was thinking of reinstalling that. No one knows when this is going to be fixed?[/quote] When Microsoft adds DirectX shims to the compatiblity toolkit and releases a hotfix for this games.
Naota Channel said:Oblivion too?
Crap
I was thinking of reinstalling that.

No one knows when this is going to be fixed?

When Microsoft adds DirectX shims to the compatiblity toolkit and releases a hotfix for this games.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 09/27/2016 05:04 AM   
[quote="Jordanx98"]Just wanted to bring this to the attention of the dev team, the latest drivers brake FONV, 3 and Oblivion, they just crash on loading and I've been searching other forums to find other people have the problem with the latest drivers and latest update for Win 10. For now I'll downgrade but please fix ASAP Nvidia! Thanks.[/quote] Just wanted to bring your attention to the fact 1. It's been posted over 50 times already 2. It isn't the driver, it's the operating system at fault.
Jordanx98 said:Just wanted to bring this to the attention of the dev team, the latest drivers brake FONV, 3 and Oblivion, they just crash on loading and I've been searching other forums to find other people have the problem with the latest drivers and latest update for Win 10. For now I'll downgrade but please fix ASAP Nvidia!

Thanks.

Just wanted to bring your attention to the fact

1. It's been posted over 50 times already
2. It isn't the driver, it's the operating system at fault.

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP

Posted 09/27/2016 05:04 AM   
I "think" you might be able to get the games to work if you go to a WDDM 2.0 compliant or older video driver (A good one is the 314.21 beta).
I "think" you might be able to get the games to work if you go to a WDDM 2.0 compliant or older video driver (A good one is the 314.21 beta).

Custom built PC | Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1066MHZ RAM | Gigabyte 760 4GB OC1 Windforce x3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Corsair 760AX Platinum PSU | Fractal Design Define R5 computer case | Samsung P2350 monitor

Posted 09/27/2016 11:35 AM   
[quote="Sora"][quote="Jordanx98"]Just wanted to bring this to the attention of the dev team, the latest drivers brake FONV, 3 and Oblivion, they just crash on loading and I've been searching other forums to find other people have the problem with the latest drivers and latest update for Win 10. For now I'll downgrade but please fix ASAP Nvidia! Thanks.[/quote] Just wanted to bring your attention to the fact 1. It's been posted over 50 times already 2. It isn't the driver, it's the operating system at fault.[/quote] Well then .. .. why do these games work on the previous driver? Obviously the driver has [i]something[/i] to do with it. No?
Sora said:

Thanks.

Well then .. .. why do these games work on the previous driver? Obviously the driver has something to do with it. No?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3
RAM: Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Processor: i-5 6600k
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060
Cooler: Thermaltake NiC C5
Power Supply: Evga 500 B

Posted 09/27/2016 01:02 PM   
[quote="Naota Channel"][quote="Sora"][quote="Jordanx98"]Just wanted to bring this to the attention of the dev team, the latest drivers brake FONV, 3 and Oblivion, they just crash on loading and I've been searching other forums to find other people have the problem with the latest drivers and latest update for Win 10. For now I'll downgrade but please fix ASAP Nvidia! Thanks.[/quote] Just wanted to bring your attention to the fact 1. It's been posted over 50 times already 2. It isn't the driver, it's the operating system at fault.[/quote] Well then .. .. why do these games work on the previous driver? Obviously the driver has [i]something[/i] to do with it. No?[/quote] WDDM capabilities are exposed to but only used if the OS and Driver support them. These last few drivers run in wddm 2.0 on 1511/10586 and these bethesda games have no issues running. Only in wddm 2.1 on 1607/14393 is there any problem. Microsoft has been notified and assumedly is working on a compatibility shim for these titles.
Naota Channel said:
Sora said:

Thanks.

Well then .. .. why do these games work on the previous driver? Obviously the driver has something to do with it. No?

WDDM capabilities are exposed to but only used if the OS and Driver support them.

These last few drivers run in wddm 2.0 on 1511/10586 and these bethesda games have no issues running.
Only in wddm 2.1 on 1607/14393 is there any problem.

Microsoft has been notified and assumedly is working on a compatibility shim for these titles.

Specs:

WIP:

Posted 09/27/2016 02:03 PM   
[quote="Naota Channel"][quote="Sora"][quote="Jordanx98"]Just wanted to bring this to the attention of the dev team, the latest drivers brake FONV, 3 and Oblivion, they just crash on loading and I've been searching other forums to find other people have the problem with the latest drivers and latest update for Win 10. For now I'll downgrade but please fix ASAP Nvidia! Thanks.[/quote] Just wanted to bring your attention to the fact 1. It's been posted over 50 times already 2. It isn't the driver, it's the operating system at fault.[/quote] Well then .. .. why do these games work on the previous driver? Obviously the driver has [i]something[/i] to do with it. No?[/quote]The driver and Windows must both support WDDM 2.1 for the new string to be present. Otherwise the computer operates in WDDM 2.0 or older mode and thus the old string format is utilized. Nvidia can't have WDDM 2.1 support without breaking these games until either Microsoft, Bethesda and/or Obsidian do something. Microsoft broke the compatibility so I'd blame them.
Naota Channel said:
Sora said:

Thanks.

The driver and Windows must both support WDDM 2.1 for the new string to be present. Otherwise the computer operates in WDDM 2.0 or older mode and thus the old string format is utilized. Nvidia can't have WDDM 2.1 support without breaking these games until either Microsoft, Bethesda and/or Obsidian do something.

Microsoft broke the compatibility so I'd blame them.

Custom built PC | Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1066MHZ RAM | Gigabyte 760 4GB OC1 Windforce x3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Corsair 760AX Platinum PSU | Fractal Design Define R5 computer case | Samsung P2350 monitor

Posted 09/27/2016 04:07 PM   
Scroll To Top