No Man's Sky
  1 / 7    
I'm hoping we can at least get CM Mode to work when this comes out next week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M
I'm hoping we can at least get CM Mode to work when this comes out next week.

Posted 08/05/2016 09:22 PM   
This looks like an OpenGL game Here are the specs from steam OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions) Processor: Intel Core i3 Memory: 8 GB RAM Graphics: nVidia GTX 480 Storage: 10 GB available space No mention of directX
This looks like an OpenGL game
Here are the specs from steam

Processor: Intel Core i3
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GTX 480
Storage: 10 GB available space

No mention of directX

Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 7 32GB Ram i7-7700K BPX MDNMVME80 240 GB M.2 NGFF NVME Solid state drive SSD 240GB (OS) GigaByte Aorus Extreme Gaming 1080TI (single) Game Blaster Recon 3D Windows 8.1 X64 Pro with UPDATE 3 and Windows 10 X64 (separate SSD's)Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Case Corsair H100i GTX 1 Toshiba 5TB (Steam), 2 Seagate 4TB SSHD Drives 2 SanDisk 480 Ultra 2 SSD (games) Samsung UN46c7000 HD TV Samsung UN55HU9000 UHD TVCurrently using ACER PASSIVE EDID override on 3D TVs LG 55HU8500 backup

Posted 08/05/2016 09:33 PM   
Q: Guess what Windows and PlayStation 4 have in common ? A: OpenGL. Q: How does PlayStation 4 differ from Xbox One ? A: Xbox One uses DirectX 11 while PlayStation 4 uses OpenGL (or variant based on OpenGL). Q: What platforms is this game released on ? A: PC and PlayStation 4. Bottom line: I bet (90%) it uses OpenGL, as is the only graphics API that is common across both platforms and as Xbox One is missing from the list, it 99% show DirectX 11 is out of the list (I might be mistaken). (Regarding a possible fix from my part, if is OpenGL, it might happen, it might not. Don't have the game and I am unsure if I plan to buy it or not. I don't want to get any hopes up if is OpenGL. If is DirectX there are quite a few moders around who might look at the game;) ) Need to wait and see:) Edit: If is OpenGL, I hope it doesn't have a "stupid" artificial "frame-lock" at 60hz or something and it will actually follow your refresh rate as well. If not, a 3D Fix will still be possible, but even if it will succeed 100% the experience will not be optimal (unless you get 120Hz and 60FPS per eye).
Q: Guess what Windows and PlayStation 4 have in common ?
A: OpenGL.

Q: How does PlayStation 4 differ from Xbox One ?
A: Xbox One uses DirectX 11 while PlayStation 4 uses OpenGL (or variant based on OpenGL).

Q: What platforms is this game released on ?
A: PC and PlayStation 4.

Bottom line:
I bet (90%) it uses OpenGL, as is the only graphics API that is common across both platforms and as Xbox One is missing from the list, it 99% show DirectX 11 is out of the list (I might be mistaken).

(Regarding a possible fix from my part, if is OpenGL, it might happen, it might not. Don't have the game and I am unsure if I plan to buy it or not.
I don't want to get any hopes up if is OpenGL. If is DirectX there are quite a few moders around who might look at the game;) )

Need to wait and see:)

Edit:
If is OpenGL, I hope it doesn't have a "stupid" artificial "frame-lock" at 60hz or something and it will actually follow your refresh rate as well. If not, a 3D Fix will still be possible, but even if it will succeed 100% the experience will not be optimal (unless you get 120Hz and 60FPS per eye).

Life is as empty without Terror, as is without Love...
But thou Chaos can be beautiful...
It can not last...

-
2x Asus GTX 980Ti Strix (OC edition), Custom Water-cooling to kick the Temperature & Noise arse ^_^
-3x Asus VG278HE 3D Vision 2 monitors (3D Surround)
i7 4790K @ 5.0Ghz ontop of Asus Maximus VII Ranger
DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2133
RAID0 256GB SSDs
RAID0 2TB Mechanical HDD (WD Black)
-
Alienware M17x R5
GT880M (8GB VRAM)
120hz 3D Samsung LCD Panel

16gb 1600Mhz DDR3
256GB SSD + 1TB mechanical HDD
-
Alienware M14x R1
GT555M (1.5GB VRAM) - Regular LG LCD
8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
256 SSD + 512GB mechanical HDD
-
Paypal for donations: tavyhome@gmail.com

Posted 08/05/2016 10:58 PM   
I'm fairly positive it's OpenGL. as Helifax said the PS4 only supports OpenGL so at the very least they would have to have OpenGL support. They're a small studio that wrote their own engine and it would be a lot of work for them to port it to DirectX. It makes sense that it's not being released on the Xbone. Also there's this tweet from Shawn Murray himself saying it's OpenGL: "it's our own engine, but the driver is OpenGL" https://twitter.com/nomanssky/status/555483390083080193
I'm fairly positive it's OpenGL. as Helifax said the PS4 only supports OpenGL so at the very least they would have to have OpenGL support. They're a small studio that wrote their own engine and it would be a lot of work for them to port it to DirectX. It makes sense that it's not being released on the Xbone.

Also there's this tweet from Shawn Murray himself saying it's OpenGL:

"it's our own engine, but the driver is OpenGL"
https://twitter.com/nomanssky/status/555483390083080193

Like my work? You can send a donation via Paypal to sgs.rules@gmail.com

Windows 7 Pro 64x - Nvidia Driver 373.03 - EVGA 980Ti SC - Optoma HD26 with Edid override - 3D Vision 2 - i7-4790K CPU - ASUS Z97-A Motherboard - 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance - 512 GB Samsung SSD 850 Pro - Creative Sound Blaster Z

Posted 08/06/2016 12:39 AM   
The risk with this one is in it's procedural generation. If shaders are procedurally generated for each new planet, it may well be unfixable. I'd suggest any fixer that takes a look at this one do so slowly, over several planets - rather than trying to fix one planet first, then testing to see if the fix applies on planet #2.
The risk with this one is in it's procedural generation. If shaders are procedurally generated for each new planet, it may well be unfixable. I'd suggest any fixer that takes a look at this one do so slowly, over several planets - rather than trying to fix one planet first, then testing to see if the fix applies on planet #2.

Posted 08/06/2016 07:00 AM   
Oh no, OpenGL. This is actually a disappointment. So no 3D vision and no VR. Game would have potential for the plus in immersion. Overall it seems that the game is not holding up the promises anyways. It will be released soon, there are no tests, it is pretty calm around the quality of the game. Let's wait for the first reviews after release.
Oh no, OpenGL. This is actually a disappointment. So no 3D vision and no VR. Game would have potential for the plus in immersion. Overall it seems that the game is not holding up the promises anyways. It will be released soon, there are no tests, it is pretty calm around the quality of the game. Let's wait for the first reviews after release.

Intel Core i7-3820, 4 X 3,60 GHz overclocked to 4,50 GHz ; EVGA Titan X 12VRAM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-1600 (4x 4 GB) ; Asus VG278H 27-inch incl. 3D vision 2 glasses, integrated transmitter ; Xbox One Elite wireless controller ; Windows 10
HTC VIVE 2,5 m2 roomscale
3D VISION GAMERS - VISIT ME ON STEAM and feel free to add me:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198064106555/edit

Posted 08/06/2016 09:45 AM   
[quote="Pirateguybrush"]The risk with this one is in it's procedural generation. If shaders are procedurally generated for each new planet, it may well be unfixable. I'd suggest any fixer that takes a look at this one do so slowly, over several planets - rather than trying to fix one planet first, then testing to see if the fix applies on planet #2.[/quote] It depends how complex the shaders are;) Normally you don't need to generate shaders over and over again! Is a bit of a weird design to do this. The only reason, I can see, why they did this in some games, like ROTTR and Arkham Knight, is because the consoles don't support so many shaders loaded/running in the same time. On the PC, your GPU can load thousands of them but you are stil VRAM dependent. [quote] The absolute hard limit for number of shaders is typically 2,147,483,647. (Although potentially could be as high as 9,223,372,036,854,775,807, depending on the size of the GLuint type). In practice, you're going to run out of GPU memory before you hit those numeric limits, though. :) – Trevor Powell May 16 '14 at 2:17 [/quote] http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/75120/what-is-the-maximum-number-of-shaders-i-can-have-in-opengl-4 Normally you need less than 1000 shaders for any game. Look at Witcher 3 for example (it was around 2000 or so, if I remember right). DOOM uses around 450 shader pairs (900 shaders) WOLF games, around the same. SOMA I think it used around 1500 or so. It really depends how "generalistic" you create them to be or how precise for one tiny thing you want them. In ROTTR you could have gone away with around 2-3k generalistic shaders, I can bet on it. Yet, they decided per object approach for some reason. I think No Man's Sky will have a limited number of shaders that are being re-used. If not, my wrapper supports custom injection of code if a pattern is found;) So there is a chance to fix the shaders even if they are constantly generated (without needing to manually fix all of them).
Pirateguybrush said:The risk with this one is in it's procedural generation. If shaders are procedurally generated for each new planet, it may well be unfixable. I'd suggest any fixer that takes a look at this one do so slowly, over several planets - rather than trying to fix one planet first, then testing to see if the fix applies on planet #2.

It depends how complex the shaders are;) Normally you don't need to generate shaders over and over again! Is a bit of a weird design to do this.
The only reason, I can see, why they did this in some games, like ROTTR and Arkham Knight, is because the consoles don't support so many shaders loaded/running in the same time. On the PC, your GPU can load thousands of them but you are stil VRAM dependent.

The absolute hard limit for number of shaders is typically 2,147,483,647. (Although potentially could be as high as 9,223,372,036,854,775,807, depending on the size of the GLuint type). In practice, you're going to run out of GPU memory before you hit those numeric limits, though. :) – Trevor Powell May 16 '14 at 2:17

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/75120/what-is-the-maximum-number-of-shaders-i-can-have-in-opengl-4

Normally you need less than 1000 shaders for any game.
Look at Witcher 3 for example (it was around 2000 or so, if I remember right).
DOOM uses around 450 shader pairs (900 shaders)
WOLF games, around the same.
SOMA I think it used around 1500 or so.

It really depends how "generalistic" you create them to be or how precise for one tiny thing you want them.
In ROTTR you could have gone away with around 2-3k generalistic shaders, I can bet on it. Yet, they decided per object approach for some reason.

I think No Man's Sky will have a limited number of shaders that are being re-used. If not, my wrapper supports custom injection of code if a pattern is found;) So there is a chance to fix the shaders even if they are constantly generated (without needing to manually fix all of them).

It can not last...

-
2x Asus GTX 980Ti Strix (OC edition), Custom Water-cooling to kick the Temperature & Noise arse ^_^
RAID0 256GB SSDs
-
Alienware M17x R5
GT880M (8GB VRAM)

16gb 1600Mhz DDR3
-
Alienware M14x R1
8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
-

Posted 08/06/2016 12:12 PM   
I read somewhere that is an in-house engine, i was hopping in DX11....but that tweet is very clear: is OpenGL. I hope they don't lock the engine to 60fps. Game looks very nice!!!
I read somewhere that is an in-house engine, i was hopping in DX11....but that tweet is very clear: is OpenGL.
I hope they don't lock the engine to 60fps.

Game looks very nice!!!
Posted 08/06/2016 12:48 PM   
I just purchased it and played it for a few minutes. I can confirm that it's using OpenGL, OpenGL32.dll shows up as one of the dlls running, no surprise there. As far as pc option go it's pretty standard: Fullscreen mode, resolution, v-sync, AA ( fxaa, and ssaax4), fov, gamma, anisotropic filtering, texture detail, shadow detail, generation detail, reflection quality, show hud, and max fps. performance is decent, with everything set to high, SSAAx4 anti-aliasing and resolution at 3840x2160 i get around 40fps with vsync turned off. I think vsync is bugged right now becuase no matter what settings i use it caps the frame rate at 30 even if i can get the game running over 60 :/ Overall the game looks alot better than the ps4 videos i've seen. I just wished the view distance was adjustable. I haven't played enough of the game to form and opinion as to how good it actually is, I like exploring and I'm not expecting to much so i'll probably like it.
I just purchased it and played it for a few minutes. I can confirm that it's using OpenGL, OpenGL32.dll shows up as one of the dlls running, no surprise there.

As far as pc option go it's pretty standard: Fullscreen mode, resolution, v-sync, AA ( fxaa, and ssaax4), fov, gamma, anisotropic filtering, texture detail, shadow detail, generation detail, reflection quality, show hud, and max fps.

performance is decent, with everything set to high, SSAAx4 anti-aliasing and resolution at 3840x2160 i get around 40fps with vsync turned off. I think vsync is bugged right now becuase no matter what settings i use it caps the frame rate at 30 even if i can get the game running over 60 :/ Overall the game looks alot better than the ps4 videos i've seen. I just wished the view distance was adjustable. I haven't played enough of the game to form and opinion as to how good it actually is, I like exploring and I'm not expecting to much so i'll probably like it.

Like my work? You can send a donation via Paypal to sgs.rules@gmail.com

Windows 7 Pro 64x - Nvidia Driver 373.03 - EVGA 980Ti SC - Optoma HD26 with Edid override - 3D Vision 2 - i7-4790K CPU - ASUS Z97-A Motherboard - 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance - 512 GB Samsung SSD 850 Pro - Creative Sound Blaster Z

Posted 08/12/2016 05:48 PM   
Just download the game and it says can't open Error unable to install OPENGL Window. I updated my Nvida driver and it still doesn't work. HELP
Just download the game and it says can't open Error unable to install OPENGL Window. I updated my Nvida driver and it still doesn't work. HELP

Posted 08/12/2016 05:54 PM   
Mediocre game at best (my PERSONAL opinion - note the repetition and the emphasise on personal). No way this is worth 60$/ 60Euro/ 40£... 10£ at best! Awesome technical achievement but you can't see this lacking gameplay "game" at the price of a AAA game. I'll be following to see when it drops below the 50% current price. (and I will pay what is worth). I will skip it in the meantime. Edit: Looking at Steam reviews - Mostly Negative - because the game doesn't even start/run properly reminds me of another game at launch - Batman Arkham Knight ^_^. I wonder if they will pull it out of steam to fix it;))
Mediocre game at best (my PERSONAL opinion - note the repetition and the emphasise on personal).

No way this is worth 60$/ 60Euro/ 40£... 10£ at best!
Awesome technical achievement but you can't see this lacking gameplay "game" at the price of a AAA game.
I'll be following to see when it drops below the 50% current price. (and I will pay what is worth).

I will skip it in the meantime.

Edit: Looking at Steam reviews - Mostly Negative - because the game doesn't even start/run properly reminds me of another game at launch - Batman Arkham Knight ^_^.
I wonder if they will pull it out of steam to fix it;))

It can not last...

-
RAID0 256GB SSDs
-
Alienware M17x R5
GT880M (8GB VRAM)

16gb 1600Mhz DDR3
-
Alienware M14x R1
8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
-

Posted 08/12/2016 06:21 PM   
I don`t know if that suppose to make me laugh or rage. "This game is the worst game I ever played"....and then you read this: "Can`t even start it". Every negative review on Steam is like this. I understand that They have problems with game crashing on start-up but they have to comprehend the fact that they didn`t see a tiny shit of this game yet. This reminds me people crying that Mass Effect 3 was the shittiest game they ever played because Ending disappoint them. Hell of a reflex - took them some time to get to this negative conclusion. I am just asking you guys to not get hyped by this all trend and get actual gameplay opinion on your own if you already got this game.
I don`t know if that suppose to make me laugh or rage. "This game is the worst game I ever played"....and then you read this: "Can`t even start it".
Every negative review on Steam is like this. I understand that They have problems with game crashing on start-up but they have to comprehend the fact that they didn`t see a tiny shit of this game yet. This reminds me people crying that Mass Effect 3 was the shittiest game they ever played because Ending disappoint them. Hell of a reflex - took them some time to get to this negative conclusion.

I am just asking you guys to not get hyped by this all trend and get actual gameplay opinion on your own if you already got this game.
[quote="SKAUT"]I don`t know if that suppose to make me laugh or rage. "This game is the worst game I ever played"....and then you read this: "Can`t even start it". Every negative review on Steam is like this. I understand that They have problems with game crashing on start-up but they have to comprehend the fact that they didn`t see a tiny shit of this game yet. This reminds me people crying that Mass Effect 3 was the shittiest game they ever played because Ending disappoint them. Hell of a reflex - took them some time to get to this negative conclusion. I am just asking you guys to not get hyped by this all trend and get actual gameplay opinion on your own if you already got this game. [/quote] Oh I am not;) But I am reluctant to pay 40£ for this game currently as so many have issues starting it;) I don't know if it supports Surround and what FPS is to be expected (and Surround + awesome FPS is required for me - or at least awesome FPS for a 3D patch). It was from a "making a 3D patch" point of view;) not the actual gameplay (but I heard that is a bit low as well and repetitive, but so is Minecraft ^_^ which was/is free).
SKAUT said:I don`t know if that suppose to make me laugh or rage. "This game is the worst game I ever played"....and then you read this: "Can`t even start it".
Every negative review on Steam is like this. I understand that They have problems with game crashing on start-up but they have to comprehend the fact that they didn`t see a tiny shit of this game yet. This reminds me people crying that Mass Effect 3 was the shittiest game they ever played because Ending disappoint them. Hell of a reflex - took them some time to get to this negative conclusion.

I am just asking you guys to not get hyped by this all trend and get actual gameplay opinion on your own if you already got this game.

Oh I am not;) But I am reluctant to pay 40£ for this game currently as so many have issues starting it;)
I don't know if it supports Surround and what FPS is to be expected (and Surround + awesome FPS is required for me - or at least awesome FPS for a 3D patch).

It was from a "making a 3D patch" point of view;) not the actual gameplay (but I heard that is a bit low as well and repetitive, but so is Minecraft ^_^ which was/is free).

It can not last...

-
RAID0 256GB SSDs
-
Alienware M17x R5
GT880M (8GB VRAM)

16gb 1600Mhz DDR3
-
Alienware M14x R1
8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
-

Posted 08/12/2016 07:30 PM   
Game is slow but that is actually something good. You are dropped on weird planet and you have to gather resources to fix your ship and equipment (this is your first quest). In mean time you discover region, beautiful animals and some abandoned bases. Everything is really atmospheric and this music in background makes you feel calm and joyful. You don`t fell like you have to rush with anything - just explore and enjoy environment. All reminds me Outcast game. Even that weird design and colourful environment or creatures are like that epic game. It would be really good for this game to drop that price thou. It is as high as top rated and establish leading games. I hope that one day you pick that up and try to fix it. It begs for 3D with this fantastic open universe.
Game is slow but that is actually something good. You are dropped on weird planet and you have to gather resources to fix your ship and equipment (this is your first quest). In mean time you discover region, beautiful animals and some abandoned bases.
Everything is really atmospheric and this music in background makes you feel calm and joyful. You don`t fell like you have to rush with anything - just explore and enjoy environment. All reminds me Outcast game. Even that weird design and colourful environment or creatures are like that epic game.

It would be really good for this game to drop that price thou. It is as high as top rated and establish leading games.

I hope that one day you pick that up and try to fix it. It begs for 3D with this fantastic open universe.
[quote="SKAUT"]Game is slow but that is actually something good. You are dropped on weird planet and you have to gather resources to fix your ship and equipment (this is your first quest). In mean time you discover region, beautiful animals and some abandoned bases. Everything is really atmospheric and this music in background makes you feel calm and joyful. You don`t fell like you have to rush with anything - just explore and enjoy environment. All reminds me Outcast game. Even that weird design and colourful environment or creatures are like that epic game. It would be really good for this game to drop that price thou. It is as high as top rated and establish leading games. I hope that one day you pick that up and try to fix it. It begs for 3D with this fantastic open universe.[/quote] ;) Or I could wait for my "friends" to release a no-DRM version;) (which is also free) and I can make a fix based on that:)
SKAUT said:Game is slow but that is actually something good. You are dropped on weird planet and you have to gather resources to fix your ship and equipment (this is your first quest). In mean time you discover region, beautiful animals and some abandoned bases.
Everything is really atmospheric and this music in background makes you feel calm and joyful. You don`t fell like you have to rush with anything - just explore and enjoy environment. All reminds me Outcast game. Even that weird design and colourful environment or creatures are like that epic game.

It would be really good for this game to drop that price thou. It is as high as top rated and establish leading games.

I hope that one day you pick that up and try to fix it. It begs for 3D with this fantastic open universe.

;)
Or I could wait for my "friends" to release a no-DRM version;) (which is also free) and I can make a fix based on that:)

It can not last...

-
RAID0 256GB SSDs
-
Alienware M17x R5
GT880M (8GB VRAM)

16gb 1600Mhz DDR3
-
Alienware M14x R1