Dark Souls 1 crash blablabla (3D Vision fix update, fixed a shader)
  1 / 2    
Can anyone here boot the game with the fix installed? Since at least quite a few driver versions ago (with my old GTX 760), the game makes the Nvidia drivers crash at the second loading point (3D triggers twice at boot). With the GTX 760, my whole PC crashed, and now with my GTX 1080 only the drivers crash. I'm still on Windows 7. - DSFix + 3D Vision fix = crash. - DSFix + no 3D Vision fix = boots. - No DSFix + 3D Vision fix = crash. - No DSFix + no 3D Vision fix = boots. I've tried with both fixes (normal and small HUD), and I've also tried using the newest d3d9.dll. In my case, I can't simply roll back to old working drivers (in case that's the problem).
Can anyone here boot the game with the fix installed? Since at least quite a few driver versions ago (with my old GTX 760), the game makes the Nvidia drivers crash at the second loading point (3D triggers twice at boot).

With the GTX 760, my whole PC crashed, and now with my GTX 1080 only the drivers crash. I'm still on Windows 7.

- DSFix + 3D Vision fix = crash.
- DSFix + no 3D Vision fix = boots.
- No DSFix + 3D Vision fix = crash.
- No DSFix + no 3D Vision fix = boots.

I've tried with both fixes (normal and small HUD), and I've also tried using the newest d3d9.dll.

In my case, I can't simply roll back to old working drivers (in case that's the problem).

Email for PayPal donations: masterotakusuko@gmail.com
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 5GHz, 1.395V
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 5
RAM: GSKILL Ripjaws Z 16GB 3866MHz CL18
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
Monitor: Asus PG278QR
Speakers: Logitech Z506

Posted 07/22/2016 08:21 PM   
What version of DSFix are you using? If the latest one try to revert to 2.2 ?!?! or something. can't remember it from the top of my head. Works fine here in 3D Vision Surround and Windows 10. DSfix was crashing like hell though;)
What version of DSFix are you using? If the latest one try to revert to 2.2 ?!?! or something. can't remember it from the top of my head.
Works fine here in 3D Vision Surround and Windows 10. DSfix was crashing like hell though;)

Life is as empty without Terror, as is without Love...
But thou Chaos can be beautiful...
It can not last...

-
2x Asus GTX 980Ti Strix (OC edition), Custom Water-cooling to kick the Temperature & Noise arse ^_^
-3x Asus VG278HE 3D Vision 2 monitors (3D Surround)
i7 4790K @ 5.0Ghz ontop of Asus Maximus VII Ranger
DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2133
RAID0 256GB SSDs
RAID0 2TB Mechanical HDD (WD Black)
-
Alienware M17x R5
GT880M (8GB VRAM)
120hz 3D Samsung LCD Panel

16gb 1600Mhz DDR3
256GB SSD + 1TB mechanical HDD
-
Alienware M14x R1
GT555M (1.5GB VRAM) - Regular LG LCD
8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
256 SSD + 512GB mechanical HDD
-
Paypal for donations: tavyhome@gmail.com

Posted 07/22/2016 08:51 PM   
[quote="helifax"]What version of DSFix are you using?[/quote] The latest one, I think (the one that dynamically finds the memory address where it has to unlock the fps). Anyway, I've fixed it. I just redownloaded the small HUD fix version. I don't know what was wrong before. Maybe some corrupted shader file (strange because I had tried both versions of the fix that I downloaded a lot of time ago)? Edit: great, now I can play this at 4k, 60fps and 3D :). Just without ambient occlusion. It's too demanding, even at 1440p (I get lots more fps at 2160p without that effect).
helifax said:What version of DSFix are you using?

The latest one, I think (the one that dynamically finds the memory address where it has to unlock the fps).

Anyway, I've fixed it. I just redownloaded the small HUD fix version. I don't know what was wrong before. Maybe some corrupted shader file (strange because I had tried both versions of the fix that I downloaded a lot of time ago)?

Edit: great, now I can play this at 4k, 60fps and 3D :). Just without ambient occlusion. It's too demanding, even at 1440p (I get lots more fps at 2160p without that effect).

Posted 07/22/2016 09:25 PM   
I used to get this problem all the time, and yeah reapplying the dsfix was usually the solution. One of the best 3dvision games imo
I used to get this problem all the time, and yeah reapplying the dsfix was usually the solution.

One of the best 3dvision games imo

i7-4790K CPU
16 GB RAM Corsair domination series
EVGA 1080ti SLI
Samsung SSD 840 Pro
ASUS Z97-WS Motherboard
3D Surround ASUS Rog Swift PG278Q(R), 2x PG278Q (yes it works)
Obutto R3volution Cockpit
Windows 7 pro 64x (Windows 10 Dual boot)

Posted 07/22/2016 11:53 PM   
Just by coincidence (I moved the game from one drive to another and wanted to see if everything was OK) I decided to play a bit, and noticed that certain fire effects, like the explosives some hollows throw at you, weren't correctly fixed. I have fixed that effect accurately, so here is the small HUD version of the fix, packaged with the latest helixmod DLL and an updated "DX9Settings.ini": https://s3.amazonaws.com/masterotaku/Dark+Souls/DarkSoulsPTDE_3D_smallHUD_2016_08_14.zip With normal HUD: https://s3.amazonaws.com/masterotaku/Dark+Souls/DarkSoulsPTDE_3D_normalHUD_2016_08_14.zip If you just want the fixed shader (in case there is any problem with the updated DLL and settings), here it is: https://s3.amazonaws.com/masterotaku/Dark+Souls/C8DD67C4.txt Place it in "ShaderOverride/VertexShaders", overwriting the old file. Also, you can save separation and convergence in the F4 and F5 presets by using ctrl+F7. The helixmod blog post is from Helix, so I can't update the fix there. Does for example eqzitara have permission rights over Helix's posts? I don't know if just 1 shader (plus updated helixmod files) deserves a new blog post. Edit: screenshot of the fixed effect: http://u.cubeupload.com/masterotaku/DARKSOULS164.jpg
Just by coincidence (I moved the game from one drive to another and wanted to see if everything was OK) I decided to play a bit, and noticed that certain fire effects, like the explosives some hollows throw at you, weren't correctly fixed. I have fixed that effect accurately, so here is the small HUD version of the fix, packaged with the latest helixmod DLL and an updated "DX9Settings.ini":

https://s3.amazonaws.com/masterotaku/Dark+Souls/DarkSoulsPTDE_3D_smallHUD_2016_08_14.zip

With normal HUD:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/masterotaku/Dark+Souls/DarkSoulsPTDE_3D_normalHUD_2016_08_14.zip

If you just want the fixed shader (in case there is any problem with the updated DLL and settings), here it is:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/masterotaku/Dark+Souls/C8DD67C4.txt

Place it in "ShaderOverride/VertexShaders", overwriting the old file.

Also, you can save separation and convergence in the F4 and F5 presets by using ctrl+F7.

The helixmod blog post is from Helix, so I can't update the fix there. Does for example eqzitara have permission rights over Helix's posts? I don't know if just 1 shader (plus updated helixmod files) deserves a new blog post.

Edit: screenshot of the fixed effect: http://u.cubeupload.com/masterotaku/DARKSOULS164.jpg

Posted 08/14/2016 11:38 AM   
Great, thanks man. I was thinking about going back to this and playing through the expantion content since I am about done with ds3
Great, thanks man. I was thinking about going back to this and playing through the expantion content since I am about done with ds3

i7-4790K CPU
16 GB RAM Corsair domination series
EVGA 1080ti SLI
Samsung SSD 840 Pro
ASUS Z97-WS Motherboard
3D Surround ASUS Rog Swift PG278Q(R), 2x PG278Q (yes it works)
Obutto R3volution Cockpit
Windows 7 pro 64x (Windows 10 Dual boot)

Posted 08/15/2016 02:20 AM   
[quote="masterotaku"]Just by coincidence (I moved the game from one drive to another and wanted to see if everything was OK) I decided to play a bit, and noticed that certain fire effects, like the explosives some hollows throw at you, weren't correctly fixed. I have fixed that effect accurately, so here is the small HUD version of the fix, packaged with the latest helixmod DLL and an updated "DX9Settings.ini": https://s3.amazonaws.com/masterotaku/Dark+Souls/DarkSoulsPTDE_3D_smallHUD_2016_08_14.zip With normal HUD: https://s3.amazonaws.com/masterotaku/Dark+Souls/DarkSoulsPTDE_3D_normalHUD_2016_08_14.zip If you just want the fixed shader (in case there is any problem with the updated DLL and settings), here it is: https://s3.amazonaws.com/masterotaku/Dark+Souls/C8DD67C4.txt Place it in "ShaderOverride/VertexShaders", overwriting the old file. Also, you can save separation and convergence in the F4 and F5 presets by using ctrl+F7. The helixmod blog post is from Helix, so I can't update the fix there. Does for example eqzitara have permission rights over Helix's posts? I don't know if just 1 shader (plus updated helixmod files) deserves a new blog post. Edit: screenshot of the fixed effect: http://u.cubeupload.com/masterotaku/DARKSOULS164.jpg[/quote] Thanks for that update. I've added your links to the HelixModBlog page.
masterotaku said:Just by coincidence (I moved the game from one drive to another and wanted to see if everything was OK) I decided to play a bit, and noticed that certain fire effects, like the explosives some hollows throw at you, weren't correctly fixed. I have fixed that effect accurately, so here is the small HUD version of the fix, packaged with the latest helixmod DLL and an updated "DX9Settings.ini":

https://s3.amazonaws.com/masterotaku/Dark+Souls/DarkSoulsPTDE_3D_smallHUD_2016_08_14.zip

With normal HUD:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/masterotaku/Dark+Souls/DarkSoulsPTDE_3D_normalHUD_2016_08_14.zip

If you just want the fixed shader (in case there is any problem with the updated DLL and settings), here it is:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/masterotaku/Dark+Souls/C8DD67C4.txt

Place it in "ShaderOverride/VertexShaders", overwriting the old file.

Also, you can save separation and convergence in the F4 and F5 presets by using ctrl+F7.

The helixmod blog post is from Helix, so I can't update the fix there. Does for example eqzitara have permission rights over Helix's posts? I don't know if just 1 shader (plus updated helixmod files) deserves a new blog post.

Edit: screenshot of the fixed effect: http://u.cubeupload.com/masterotaku/DARKSOULS164.jpg

Thanks for that update. I've added your links to the HelixModBlog page.

Acer H5360 (1280x720@120Hz) - ASUS VG248QE with GSync mod - 3D Vision 1&2 - Driver 372.54
GTX 970 - GTX 760 Dedicated PhysX - i5-4670K@4.2GHz - 12GB RAM - Win7x64+evilKB2670838 - 4 Disk X25 RAID
Latest 3Dmigoto Release
Bo3b's School for ShaderHackers

Posted 08/15/2016 05:02 AM   
Thank you, bo3b. I'll post in this thread if I make a new update. For example, the fix doesn't support custom HUD textures for the small HUD and crosshair depth, including HD fonts and a colorblind life bars mod that I like/somewhat need. I will probably tackle that soon (today maybe), checking and adding texture CRCs. Edit: shit, the game crashes with the "bCalcTexCRCatStart = true" line after the second time 3D Vision enables itself (after the bottom left corner appears). Maybe an old debug dll will work. I mean, Helix did it, so it should be possible.
Thank you, bo3b. I'll post in this thread if I make a new update. For example, the fix doesn't support custom HUD textures for the small HUD and crosshair depth, including HD fonts and a colorblind life bars mod that I like/somewhat need. I will probably tackle that soon (today maybe), checking and adding texture CRCs.

Edit: shit, the game crashes with the "bCalcTexCRCatStart = true" line after the second time 3D Vision enables itself (after the bottom left corner appears). Maybe an old debug dll will work. I mean, Helix did it, so it should be possible.

Posted 08/15/2016 07:13 AM   
I've been playing Dark Souls off and on with a group of friends recently, but I ran into an issue. When I exit the game with 3DVision enabled, my PC gets stuck on a black screen with the emitter light on. This happens with/without DSFix 2.4 and with/without either the older fix or masterotaku's update. It exits normally with 3DVision disabled in control panel. I've run DDU and installed the latest drivers, 372.90. I've also installed the game from scratch. I'm thinking it might have been some windows (or steam?) update since I recall it working on the previously installed driver and then stopping working on the same driver. Has anyone run into this issue?
I've been playing Dark Souls off and on with a group of friends recently, but I ran into an issue.

When I exit the game with 3DVision enabled, my PC gets stuck on a black screen with the emitter light on. This happens with/without DSFix 2.4 and with/without either the older fix or masterotaku's update.
It exits normally with 3DVision disabled in control panel.

I've run DDU and installed the latest drivers, 372.90.
I've also installed the game from scratch.

I'm thinking it might have been some windows (or steam?) update since I recall it working on the previously installed driver and then stopping working on the same driver.

Has anyone run into this issue?

i7-4770k @ 4.3GHz
2x EVGA GTX970 SSC
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
1TB SanDisk SSD
2TB 7200RPM HDD
Windows 10 x64

Posted 09/26/2016 03:00 AM   
It crashes for me on exit with 368.89, but doesn't hang. The update you are referring to may be the Windows Anniversary update (I've not installed it).
It crashes for me on exit with 368.89, but doesn't hang. The update you are referring to may be the Windows Anniversary update (I've not installed it).

Posted 09/26/2016 03:54 AM   
[quote="masterotaku"] Edit: great, now I can play this at 4k, 60fps and 3D :). [/quote] What are you using for 4K? The monitor in your sig. is 1440p i believe?
masterotaku said:
Edit: great, now I can play this at 4k, 60fps and 3D :).

What are you using for 4K? The monitor in your sig. is 1440p i believe?

Computer: i7 2600K @4.8GHz / Asus Sabertooth P67 Rev3 / 32GB Corsair Vengeance / GTX 980ti / 34" Samsung S34E790C
Projectors: BenQ W700 / BenQ MH741

Posted 09/26/2016 07:11 AM   
[quote="vurt72"][quote="masterotaku"] Edit: great, now I can play this at 4k, 60fps and 3D :). [/quote] What are you using for 4K? The monitor in your sig. is 1440p i believe? [/quote] You can downsample from an arbitrary resolution with dsfix, which is probably what he meant by that.
vurt72 said:
masterotaku said:
Edit: great, now I can play this at 4k, 60fps and 3D :).

What are you using for 4K? The monitor in your sig. is 1440p i believe?

You can downsample from an arbitrary resolution with dsfix, which is probably what he meant by that.

Posted 09/26/2016 08:16 AM   
Yes, that's what I meant. DSFix with 3840x2160 internal resolution. 5K is too much. And ambient occlusion is also too demanding even for "only" 1440p, so I don't enable that. I'll check if it crashes for me tonight.
Yes, that's what I meant. DSFix with 3840x2160 internal resolution. 5K is too much. And ambient occlusion is also too demanding even for "only" 1440p, so I don't enable that.

I'll check if it crashes for me tonight.

Posted 09/26/2016 09:57 AM   
It doesn't crash at exit for me. This can be very random between games and drivers, in my experience.
It doesn't crash at exit for me. This can be very random between games and drivers, in my experience.

Posted 09/26/2016 05:50 PM   
[quote="oneup03"]I've been playing Dark Souls off and on with a group of friends recently, but I ran into an issue. When I exit the game with 3DVision enabled, my PC gets stuck on a black screen with the emitter light on. This happens with/without DSFix 2.4 and with/without either the older fix or masterotaku's update. It exits normally with 3DVision disabled in control panel. I've run DDU and installed the latest drivers, 372.90. I've also installed the game from scratch. I'm thinking it might have been some windows (or steam?) update since I recall it working on the previously installed driver and then stopping working on the same driver. Has anyone run into this issue?[/quote] Yupp, The easiest solution is to: - Unplug your emitter :) - You will see the Windows Desktop (and probably a crash dialog that you can close) - Re-plug the emitter and make sure 3D Vision is selected in Nvpanel not 3D Discover;) - As it loves to default to that one. - Start any other game you want. This is not specific to this game alone but to many others (seems to happen mostly if the game is DX9). I agree, a bit infuriating, but something that you can work around without hitting the "RESET" button ^_^
oneup03 said:I've been playing Dark Souls off and on with a group of friends recently, but I ran into an issue.

When I exit the game with 3DVision enabled, my PC gets stuck on a black screen with the emitter light on. This happens with/without DSFix 2.4 and with/without either the older fix or masterotaku's update.
It exits normally with 3DVision disabled in control panel.

I've run DDU and installed the latest drivers, 372.90.
I've also installed the game from scratch.

I'm thinking it might have been some windows (or steam?) update since I recall it working on the previously installed driver and then stopping working on the same driver.

Has anyone run into this issue?

Yupp,

The easiest solution is to:
- Unplug your emitter :)
- You will see the Windows Desktop (and probably a crash dialog that you can close)
- Re-plug the emitter and make sure 3D Vision is selected in Nvpanel not 3D Discover;) - As it loves to default to that one.
- Start any other game you want.

This is not specific to this game alone but to many others (seems to happen mostly if the game is DX9).

I agree, a bit infuriating, but something that you can work around without hitting the "RESET" button ^_^

Life is as empty without Terror, as is without Love...
But thou Chaos can be beautiful...
It can not last...

-
2x Asus GTX 980Ti Strix (OC edition), Custom Water-cooling to kick the Temperature & Noise arse ^_^
-3x Asus VG278HE 3D Vision 2 monitors (3D Surround)
i7 4790K @ 5.0Ghz ontop of Asus Maximus VII Ranger
DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2133
RAID0 256GB SSDs
RAID0 2TB Mechanical HDD (WD Black)
-
Alienware M17x R5
GT880M (8GB VRAM)
120hz 3D Samsung LCD Panel

16gb 1600Mhz DDR3
256GB SSD + 1TB mechanical HDD
-
Alienware M14x R1