Amazon Prime on the Shield (Updated Nov 1 2016)
  1 / 16    
Just an FYI for those waiting for Amazon Prime to come to the Shield. Some one just posted on G+ that they extracted the Prime app from a Sony Bravia and it's works on the Shield. I don't have a Prime account anymore, but I did install the app and it does appear to be working, puts icon on screen, launches and I was able to browse videos. [u]UPDATE: AMAZON JUST DMCAed ALL THEIR APKS SO THEY ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE ON APK MIRROR[/u] All links are now broken. US version: [REMOVED, SEE NOTE ABOVE] EU version: [REMOVED, SEE NOTE ABOVE] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ [color=green]UPDATE:[/color] US Version (reported to work for EU also) 4.1.20 (Nov 1 2016) [REMOVED, SEE NOTE ABOVE] EU Version [REMOVED, SEE NOTE ABOVE] NOTE: This may only work correctly with equipment that supports DD+ (EAC3). If your equipment (TV, AVR, etc.) does not support DD+ then you may experience crashes when playing videos with DD+.
Just an FYI for those waiting for Amazon Prime to come to the Shield. Some one just posted on G+ that they extracted the Prime app from a Sony Bravia and it's works on the Shield.

I don't have a Prime account anymore, but I did install the app and it does appear to be working, puts icon on screen, launches and I was able to browse videos.

UPDATE: AMAZON JUST DMCAed ALL THEIR APKS SO THEY ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE ON APK MIRROR All links are now broken.

US version: [REMOVED, SEE NOTE ABOVE]

EU version: [REMOVED, SEE NOTE ABOVE]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:

US Version (reported to work for EU also) 4.1.20 (Nov 1 2016) [REMOVED, SEE NOTE ABOVE]

EU Version [REMOVED, SEE NOTE ABOVE]

NOTE: This may only work correctly with equipment that supports DD+ (EAC3). If your equipment (TV, AVR, etc.) does not support DD+ then you may experience crashes when playing videos with DD+.

Posted 07/15/2016 02:25 AM   
Link is broke.
Link is broke.

Posted 07/15/2016 02:34 AM   
I would like to give this a test. The link you provided doesn't seem to be working though.
I would like to give this a test. The link you provided doesn't seem to be working though.

Posted 07/15/2016 02:44 AM   
Try it now, link should be fixed.
Try it now, link should be fixed.

Posted 07/15/2016 02:49 AM   
Sweet! Thanks. I will load it up later on and post back my results.
Sweet! Thanks.

I will load it up later on and post back my results.

Posted 07/15/2016 03:08 AM   
I just verified that this does indeed work for the 1080p content. If you try to watch any of the UHD/HDR content the system will glitch out and you will get stuck on an infinitely spinning circle. It doesn't freeze the system though, you can still exit the app via the home button. I suspect Amazon will shut this down relatively quickly, just as they did last time we tried to go this route with the extracted Sony APK.
I just verified that this does indeed work for the 1080p content. If you try to watch any of the UHD/HDR content the system will glitch out and you will get stuck on an infinitely spinning circle. It doesn't freeze the system though, you can still exit the app via the home button.

I suspect Amazon will shut this down relatively quickly, just as they did last time we tried to go this route with the extracted Sony APK.

Posted 07/15/2016 03:26 AM   
Ok, downloaded the apk and loaded it up. It's working perfect for me. Thanks for posting this Tinwarble!
Ok, downloaded the apk and loaded it up. It's working perfect for me. Thanks for posting this Tinwarble!

Posted 07/15/2016 03:29 AM   
Seems to work for me too. The interface seems a bit laggy and it doesn't like the Fire TV bluetooth remote that I typically use with the Shield. The select button on that remote does not "select". The official Shield Controller and Remote work though.
Seems to work for me too. The interface seems a bit laggy and it doesn't like the Fire TV bluetooth remote that I typically use with the Shield. The select button on that remote does not "select". The official Shield Controller and Remote work though.

Posted 07/15/2016 03:34 AM   
I have the same experience as [color="green"]Nilaz[/color]. It streams 1080p fine. I got UHD once, but video never loaded. LogCat showed lot of DxDRM errors. [s]Now, I don't even see UHD on any show.[/s]You will see UHD resolution if you click from the banner. Looks like it is not licensed to stream in UHD from external sources. http://pastebin.com/fvmYdJwq If this doesn't have Amazon's blessings, it is not going to last for long.
I have the same experience as Nilaz. It streams 1080p fine. I got UHD once, but video never loaded. LogCat showed lot of DxDRM errors. Now, I don't even see UHD on any show.You will see UHD resolution if you click from the banner.

Looks like it is not licensed to stream in UHD from external sources.
http://pastebin.com/fvmYdJwq

If this doesn't have Amazon's blessings, it is not going to last for long.

Posted 07/15/2016 03:58 AM   
Wow, works great! Hopefully this lasts until Nvidia is able to get the official version released.
Wow, works great! Hopefully this lasts until Nvidia is able to get the official version released.

Posted 07/15/2016 04:07 AM   
This just showed up on APK Mirror: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/amazon-mobile-llc/amazon-instant-video-for-android-tv/amazon-instant-video-for-android-tv-3-11-44-release/amazon-instant-video-android-tv-3-11-44-android-apk-download/ Give it a go, seems to work the same way.
[quote="Tinwarble"]Give it a go, seems to work the same way.[/quote] Yep! works the same way as the other one. Only 1080p streaming is allowed. I am not sure whether this apk is any more official than the one extracted from Sony TV. Shield is registered as a Sony device.
Tinwarble said:Give it a go, seems to work the same way.

Yep! works the same way as the other one. Only 1080p streaming is allowed. I am not sure whether this apk is any more official than the one extracted from Sony TV. Shield is registered as a Sony device.

Posted 07/15/2016 05:52 AM   
[quote="wesk05"] Yep! works the same way as the other one. Only 1080p streaming is allowed. I am not sure whether this apk is any more official than the one extracted from Sony TV. Shield is registered as a Sony device.[/quote] I meant official as in "it's Amazon's app" and it's on APK Mirror under Amazon Mobile LLC.
wesk05 said:
Yep! works the same way as the other one. Only 1080p streaming is allowed. I am not sure whether this apk is any more official than the one extracted from Sony TV. Shield is registered as a Sony device.

I meant official as in "it's Amazon's app" and it's on APK Mirror under Amazon Mobile LLC.

Posted 07/15/2016 06:07 AM   
[quote="Tinwarble"]I meant official as in "it's Amazon's app" and it's on APK Mirror under Amazon Mobile LLC.[/quote] I didn't know that the apks on APK mirror are officially uploaded by the developer. Are you saying that Google Play Music, YouTube etc. are officially uploaded by Google?
Tinwarble said:I meant official as in "it's Amazon's app" and it's on APK Mirror under Amazon Mobile LLC.

I didn't know that the apks on APK mirror are officially uploaded by the developer. Are you saying that Google Play Music, YouTube etc. are officially uploaded by Google?

Posted 07/15/2016 06:16 AM   
working splendidly here. thanks, tinwarble.
working splendidly here. thanks, tinwarble.
Posted 07/15/2016 06:22 AM   
  1 / 16    
Scroll To Top