Neverwinter nights
  1 / 2    
i upgraded to a GTX 1080 and decided to play neverwinter nights 1 but now i have invisible outfits for some with floating heads, I also get what look to be textures stretching across the screen whenever i move the camera and the only thing i can think of is the switch to the 1080. Anyone else getting this kind of issue. Pictures of issue on top post https://www.gog.com/upload/forum/2016/06/39765b5a388371faf78e8000e26daa13961ad33d.jpg https://www.gog.com/upload/forum/2016/06/f32bdc44df2433fb569306af57ee67c4e6afbf54.jpg
i upgraded to a GTX 1080 and decided to play neverwinter nights 1 but now i have invisible outfits for some with floating heads, I also get what look to be textures stretching across the screen whenever i move the camera and the only thing i can think of is the switch to the 1080. Anyone else getting this kind of issue.

Pictures of issue on top post

https://www.gog.com/upload/forum/2016/06/39765b5a388371faf78e8000e26daa13961ad33d.jpg

https://www.gog.com/upload/forum/2016/06/f32bdc44df2433fb569306af57ee67c4e6afbf54.jpg

Posted 06/28/2016 04:34 AM   
I'm also having this issue. I've tried adjusting the graphic settings every way I can. I'm running Windows 10 with a FE GTX 1080. I've tried using every compatibility settings available. I.E ~ Win8/7/Vista and XP both service packs. I cannot get past this issue. I've searched online for several days with no luck in fixing this. I'm not sure if it's a Windows 10 issue or with the GTX 1080.
I'm also having this issue. I've tried adjusting the graphic settings every way I can. I'm running Windows 10 with a FE GTX 1080. I've tried using every compatibility settings available. I.E ~ Win8/7/Vista and XP both service packs. I cannot get past this issue. I've searched online for several days with no luck in fixing this. I'm not sure if it's a Windows 10 issue or with the GTX 1080.

Posted 07/01/2016 02:13 PM   
I am using Windows 7 so my bet is its a driver issue with the 1080 series for OpenGL.
I am using Windows 7 so my bet is its a driver issue with the 1080 series for OpenGL.

Posted 07/01/2016 10:20 PM   
Hmm, I'm also having this same problem with a GTX 1070 and Windows 10. Never had this problem with a 770 though. So it might have something to do with Pascal architecture that is messing it up. Really wish someone had a fix for this, because I just got it and would like to finish it.
Hmm, I'm also having this same problem with a GTX 1070 and Windows 10.

Never had this problem with a 770 though. So it might have something to do with Pascal architecture that is messing it up. Really wish someone had a fix for this, because I just got it and would like to finish it.

Graphics: EVGA GTX 1070 SC (Factory OC)
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
Mainboard: Asus Z97-A
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
PSU: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Modular
Display: Samsung S27D360

Posted 07/14/2016 08:59 PM   
I have this exact same problem with GTX 1070 and Windows 10. Armors and cloaks turn invisible, then turn into stretched texture glitches that run across the screen horizontally. I really wish for a fix here as NWN is the one old game I still play all the time. Have to get rid of the 1070 and use my old 970 if this isn't fixed.
I have this exact same problem with GTX 1070 and Windows 10. Armors and cloaks turn invisible, then turn into stretched texture glitches that run across the screen horizontally.

I really wish for a fix here as NWN is the one old game I still play all the time. Have to get rid of the 1070 and use my old 970 if this isn't fixed.

Posted 07/15/2016 05:10 PM   
Yea, it worked pretty much flawlessly with pre Pascal technology. Do you happen to have a double cursor problem as well? Or the cursor freezes when loading? That seems to be happening to me on Single Player mode and Online mode.
Yea, it worked pretty much flawlessly with pre Pascal technology.

Do you happen to have a double cursor problem as well? Or the cursor freezes when loading? That seems to be happening to me on Single Player mode and Online mode.

Graphics: EVGA GTX 1070 SC (Factory OC)
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
Mainboard: Asus Z97-A
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
PSU: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Modular
Display: Samsung S27D360

Posted 07/15/2016 10:39 PM   
Hmm, this is a darned shame. A friend of mine is making a new NWN player world, and I wanted to upgrade to a 1070 in the next little while. If there's no driver support for old games like NWN, however, I may just have to wait until they get this fixed. I can confirm that it's definitely working perfectly - mostly - on my GTX 760 using the 368.81 drivers. Very rarely, I have a texture-stretching visual bug pop up here and there, but that's usually solved by just rotating my camera around or transitioning to another area.
Hmm, this is a darned shame. A friend of mine is making a new NWN player world, and I wanted to upgrade to a 1070 in the next little while. If there's no driver support for old games like NWN, however, I may just have to wait until they get this fixed.

I can confirm that it's definitely working perfectly - mostly - on my GTX 760 using the 368.81 drivers. Very rarely, I have a texture-stretching visual bug pop up here and there, but that's usually solved by just rotating my camera around or transitioning to another area.

Posted 07/31/2016 11:15 PM   
I'm having the exact same issue and have been trying to find a fix for a few weeks now. NWN 1 worked fine on my GTX 760, but once I upgraded to GTX 1080 I started getting exactly what the OP has described.
I'm having the exact same issue and have been trying to find a fix for a few weeks now. NWN 1 worked fine on my GTX 760, but once I upgraded to GTX 1080 I started getting exactly what the OP has described.

Posted 08/08/2016 11:53 AM   
This is happening to me, too. What are the chances the driver-guys will fix a bug in a 10-year-old game? Please Please Please
This is happening to me, too.

What are the chances the driver-guys will fix a bug in a 10-year-old game?

Please
Please
Please

Posted 08/09/2016 02:04 AM   
[quote="mizzer"]This is happening to me, too. What are the chances the driver-guys will fix a bug in a 10-year-old game? Please Please Please[/quote] Chances may increase if more noise is made? Polite noise, I mean.
mizzer said:This is happening to me, too.

Please
Please
Please

Chances may increase if more noise is made? Polite noise, I mean.

Posted 08/10/2016 04:42 PM   
[quote="chickenboo"][quote="mizzer"]This is happening to me, too. What are the chances the driver-guys will fix a bug in a 10-year-old game? Please Please Please[/quote] Chances may increase if more noise is made? Polite noise, I mean.[/quote] I've posted the issue here, on Good Ol' Games forums, and in the Neverwinter Vault forums. I even contacted the guy who created the Community Patch (v1.71). He confirmed it is a driver issue, btw. Thankfully, I was in the 30-day window and able to request a refund from GOG. I'm hoping that will prompt THEM to find a fix as well.
chickenboo said:

Please
Please
Please

I've posted the issue here, on Good Ol' Games forums, and in the Neverwinter Vault forums. I even contacted the guy who created the Community Patch (v1.71). He confirmed it is a driver issue, btw.

Thankfully, I was in the 30-day window and able to request a refund from GOG. I'm hoping that will prompt THEM to find a fix as well.

Posted 08/10/2016 08:12 PM   
[quote="mizzer"][quote="chickenboo"][quote="mizzer"]This is happening to me, too. What are the chances the driver-guys will fix a bug in a 10-year-old game? Please Please Please[/quote] Chances may increase if more noise is made? Polite noise, I mean.[/quote] I've posted the issue here, on Good Ol' Games forums, and in the Neverwinter Vault forums. I even contacted the guy who created the Community Patch (v1.71). He confirmed it is a driver issue, btw. Thankfully, I was in the 30-day window and able to request a refund from GOG. I'm hoping that will prompt THEM to find a fix as well.[/quote] Woo!
mizzer said:
chickenboo said:

Please
Please
Please

I've posted the issue here, on Good Ol' Games forums, and in the Neverwinter Vault forums. I even contacted the guy who created the Community Patch (v1.71). He confirmed it is a driver issue, btw.

Thankfully, I was in the 30-day window and able to request a refund from GOG. I'm hoping that will prompt THEM to find a fix as well.

Woo!

Posted 08/11/2016 02:54 AM   
Received this from GOG (Good Ol' Games) Tech support: Hello, Before I can offer a refund we need to try relevant troubleshooting steps, if you don't want to troubleshoot I can make an exception and convert this purchase to store credit which is valid for a year and that you can use towards buying a different game. Please try these troubleshooting steps: 1) Please make sure that you use "Run as Administrator" to install and to start the game (right-click on the shortcut or setup file and select "Run as Administrator"). If you are using Galaxy, then make sure to run Galaxy as Administrator. 2) Please reinstall the game AND add it to your anti-virus/firewall software's exception/trusted list. Simply disabling the firewall or AV software could not be enough, since some of theses software are still running in the background or in the services list. If you are using Galaxy, then please add Galaxy as well. 3) Reinstall the June 2010 DirectX runtime package. You can find the archive file containing the 2010 package installation files here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109 After that please download and install the DirectX Web Installer: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=35&e6b34bbe-475b-1abd-2c51-b5034bcdd6d2 You will have to extract the files into some folder, then open that folder and launch the DXSETUP.exe file in order to proceed with the installation. 4) Please update your graphics device drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx 5) Maybe you have some settings forced on your graphics device in NVidia Control Panel. If so then try to reset them: I) Right-click on your desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel. II) Click Manage 3D Settings. III) In the upper-right corner, click Restore Defaults. 6) Try disabling DSR: http://www.gog.com/support/support_view/potential_issues_with_supersampling_dsr_factors_feature_on_highend_geforce_cards 7) Please open the Control Panel (you can do it by using WinKey+X key combination) go to Programs > Programs and Features, click the Turn Windows features on or off link, find the Legacy components on the list, enable DirectPlay and click OK to install it. 8) Please make sure to unplug and/or disable all other unnecessary devices before starting the game. Please let me know if this solved the issue. Regards, Lisa Customer Support Representative GOG.com To Which I responded: [color="orange"]The result was the same: graphical errors. I even tried to update the game via the Community Patch (v1.71). No change. I really want this game to work. I am willing to wait for the next nVidia driver release in hopes that it fixes the problem. However, I know my refund window is only 30 days. I'll wait a bit longer as long as waiting will not jeopardize my right to a refund. Please let me know how to proceed. [/color] She responded: Hello, please try the following: 1) Please go to the game's directory (default: C:\GOG Games\Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition). Once in there find nwmain.exe, right-click on it and select "Copy". After that right-click in empty space in the Neverwinter Nights folder and select "Paste". Try to launch the game using that newly created file (copy of nwmain.exe). 2) Try to run the game in windowed mode. To do this please follow this guide: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights#Windowed 3) Please make sure that no third-party applications are interfering with the game. Please try to install and run the game in “clean boot mode”. Instructions on how to do that can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 Make sure the account you create for clean boot mode is granted Administrator privileges. If the above doesn't help maybe you have access to a different PC that meets the system requirements and that you could use to play the game? If not, I can convert this order to store credit which is valid for a year and that you can use towards buying a different game or issue a refund. Regards, Lisa Customer Support Representative GOG.com And here is my final response: [color="orange"]Hi Lisa, My guess is your directions are simply copied from a troubleshooting manual and pasted into the email you sent me. No harm or foul, I'm saying "I get it, it's your job." However, I've built and worked on computers for two decades, using various configurations and operating systems. I know how faulty hardware and certainly how drivers can mean the difference between a program that runs and one that does not. That being said, I never had an issue running the game. Even without the final, official patch, the game would launch and run just fine. However, before I patched it and after I patched it, the graphical issue was evident. From my research, it is clearly an issue with the nVidia Pascal cards. No one I've seen with a GTX 10xx Pascal card (this includes the 1060, 1070, and 1080) can run the game without the problem: no matter which patch, no matter which card, after or before patching, at every resolution allowable, etc.. I even tried it through HDMI (vs Display port) thinking it may be a timing issue. No go. Let me reiterate something: I want this game to work. I would prefer NOT to get a refund as long as it works properly with my video card and system. I will certainly try some of the things you suggested. However, out front, running the game in windowed mode and running it from a clean boot are not solutions and I do not have another system on which I can play it. As of now, I will try the "copy-paste" suggestion you offered (which seems irrelevant to me as it has no bearing on the graphic drivers) and report back. As I said earlier in our correspondence I am willing to wait for a driver fix from nVidia as long as I do not forfeit my right for a refund in the event no fix is found. Can you do ME a favor? Have one of the tech-people at GOG run the game on a Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit system with a Pascal card from nVidia (a GTX 1060, 1070, or 1080) and see what they get. I believe they will see the same problem. And, if the problem is as ubiquitous as I reckon, and until there is a solution, you will have many more unhappy customers as Pascal becomes the gamer's card of choice. Please check this out.[/color]
Received this from GOG (Good Ol' Games) Tech support:

Hello,
Before I can offer a refund we need to try relevant troubleshooting steps, if you don't want to troubleshoot I can make an exception and convert this purchase to store credit which is valid for a year and that you can use towards buying a different game.

Please try these troubleshooting steps:
1) Please make sure that you use "Run as Administrator" to install and to start the game (right-click on the shortcut or setup file and select "Run as Administrator"). If you are using Galaxy, then make sure to run Galaxy as Administrator.

2) Please reinstall the game AND add it to your anti-virus/firewall software's exception/trusted list. Simply disabling the firewall or AV software could not be enough, since some of theses software are still running in the background or in the services list. If you are using Galaxy, then please add Galaxy as well.

3) Reinstall the June 2010 DirectX runtime package. You can find the archive file containing the 2010 package installation files here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

After that please download and install the DirectX Web Installer:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=35&e6b34bbe-475b-1abd-2c51-b5034bcdd6d2

You will have to extract the files into some folder, then open that folder and launch the DXSETUP.exe file in order to proceed with the installation.

4) Please update your graphics device drivers:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

5) Maybe you have some settings forced on your graphics device in NVidia Control Panel. If so then try to reset them:
I) Right-click on your desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel.
II) Click Manage 3D Settings.
III) In the upper-right corner, click Restore Defaults.

6) Try disabling DSR:

http://www.gog.com/support/support_view/potential_issues_with_supersampling_dsr_factors_feature_on_highend_geforce_cards

7) Please open the Control Panel (you can do it by using WinKey+X key combination) go to Programs > Programs and Features, click the Turn Windows features on or off link, find the Legacy components on the list, enable DirectPlay and click OK to install it.

8) Please make sure to unplug and/or disable all other unnecessary devices before starting the game.

Please let me know if this solved the issue.
Regards,
Lisa
Customer Support Representative
GOG.com

To Which I responded:

The result was the same: graphical errors.
I even tried to update the game via the Community Patch (v1.71). No change.
I really want this game to work. I am willing to wait for the next nVidia driver release in hopes that it fixes the problem. However, I know my refund window is only 30 days. I'll wait a bit longer as long as waiting will not jeopardize my right to a refund.

Please let me know how to proceed.

She responded:
Hello,
please try the following:
1) Please go to the game's directory (default: C:\GOG Games\Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition). Once in there find nwmain.exe, right-click on it and select "Copy". After that right-click in empty space in the Neverwinter Nights folder and select "Paste". Try to launch the game using that newly created file (copy of nwmain.exe).

2) Try to run the game in windowed mode. To do this please follow this guide:
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights#Windowed

3) Please make sure that no third-party applications are interfering with the game. Please try to install and run the game in “clean boot mode”. Instructions on how to do that can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Make sure the account you create for clean boot mode is granted Administrator privileges.

If the above doesn't help maybe you have access to a different PC that meets the system requirements and that you could use to play the game?

If not, I can convert this order to store credit which is valid for a year and that you can use towards buying a different game or issue a refund.
Regards,
Lisa
Customer Support Representative
GOG.com

And here is my final response:
Hi Lisa,

My guess is your directions are simply copied from a troubleshooting manual and pasted into the email you sent me. No harm or foul, I'm saying "I get it, it's your job."

However, I've built and worked on computers for two decades, using various configurations and operating systems. I know how faulty hardware and certainly how drivers can mean the difference between a program that runs and one that does not.

That being said, I never had an issue running the game. Even without the final, official patch, the game would launch and run just fine. However, before I patched it and after I patched it, the graphical issue was evident. From my research, it is clearly an issue with the nVidia Pascal cards. No one I've seen with a GTX 10xx Pascal card (this includes the 1060, 1070, and 1080) can run the game without the problem: no matter which patch, no matter which card, after or before patching, at every resolution allowable, etc.. I even tried it through HDMI (vs Display port) thinking it may be a timing issue. No go.

Let me reiterate something: I want this game to work. I would prefer NOT to get a refund as long as it works properly with my video card and system. I will certainly try some of the things you suggested. However, out front, running the game in windowed mode and running it from a clean boot are not solutions and I do not have another system on which I can play it.

As of now, I will try the "copy-paste" suggestion you offered (which seems irrelevant to me as it has no bearing on the graphic drivers) and report back. As I said earlier in our correspondence I am willing to wait for a driver fix from nVidia as long as I do not forfeit my right for a refund in the event no fix is found.

Can you do ME a favor? Have one of the tech-people at GOG run the game on a Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit system with a Pascal card from nVidia (a GTX 1060, 1070, or 1080) and see what they get. I believe they will see the same problem. And, if the problem is as ubiquitous as I reckon, and until there is a solution, you will have many more unhappy customers as Pascal becomes the gamer's card of choice. Please check this out.

Posted 08/11/2016 06:36 PM   
...not so woo?
...not so woo?

Posted 08/12/2016 10:03 PM   
I wanted to let you know: it appears that the newest nVidia drivers (v372.54) fix the issue.
I wanted to let you know: it appears that the newest nVidia drivers (v372.54) fix the issue.

Posted 08/16/2016 11:18 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top