GTX 1080 in 2012 Mac Pro
  7 / 7    
This afternoon (4/28) I installed an EVGA GTX 1080 SC on my mac pro 5.1 (mid 2012) I'm using the latest CUDA driver (v. 8.0.81) and the latest BETA GTX pascal driver (WebDriver-378.05.05.05f02) My card isn't flashed, so I get a black screen while booting, but after about 30 seconds, I can log in and get my desktop. There is some sort of bug that is making the screen sparkle, like some sort of signal noise. It's not super strong, but it's definitely noticeable. Random individual pixels lighting up across the screen. Noticeable mostly over dark colors on the display (like the Adobe Premiere interface and this forum). I'm upgrading from a Quadro 4000, and noticed much less of a difference than I was hoping when exporting a 4 minute video file. However, I am pleased to report that I can playback three layers of 4k video with lumetri color effects smoothly at full res on the timeline now, so that is a big plus. [b]Has anyone encountered the sparkle issue before?[/b] UPDATE 5/1/17: I rebooted several times Friday and the sparkles never went away. Then I turned the machine off and left for the weekend. When I came back today (Monday) and booted up, the sparkles were gone! [b]UPDATE 5/2/17 - 1 : GAHHH! Sparkles are back!!! (didn't disappear with a reboot or completely shutting down and starting back up)[/b] [b]UPDATE 5/2/17 - 2 : I think I found the problem thanks to this thread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/939358/geforce-1000-series/gtx-1080-flickering-issue/56/ It's not a driver issue, it's a display port cable issue. I was able to get the flashing pixels to disappear by unplugging the thunderbolt cable from the thunderbolt to display port adapter, a few times, waited, then plugged back in (even used the same display port on the graphics card). The flickering pixels disappeared.[/b]
This afternoon (4/28) I installed an EVGA GTX 1080 SC on my mac pro 5.1 (mid 2012)

I'm using the latest CUDA driver (v. 8.0.81) and the latest BETA GTX pascal driver (WebDriver-378.05.05.05f02)

My card isn't flashed, so I get a black screen while booting, but after about 30 seconds, I can log in and get my desktop.

There is some sort of bug that is making the screen sparkle, like some sort of signal noise. It's not super strong, but it's definitely noticeable. Random individual pixels lighting up across the screen. Noticeable mostly over dark colors on the display (like the Adobe Premiere interface and this forum).

I'm upgrading from a Quadro 4000, and noticed much less of a difference than I was hoping when exporting a 4 minute video file. However, I am pleased to report that I can playback three layers of 4k video with lumetri color effects smoothly at full res on the timeline now, so that is a big plus.

Has anyone encountered the sparkle issue before?

UPDATE 5/1/17: I rebooted several times Friday and the sparkles never went away. Then I turned the machine off and left for the weekend. When I came back today (Monday) and booted up, the sparkles were gone!

UPDATE 5/2/17 - 1 : GAHHH! Sparkles are back!!! (didn't disappear with a reboot or completely shutting down and starting back up)

UPDATE 5/2/17 - 2 : I think I found the problem thanks to this thread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/939358/geforce-1000-series/gtx-1080-flickering-issue/56/
It's not a driver issue, it's a display port cable issue. I was able to get the flashing pixels to disappear by unplugging the thunderbolt cable from the thunderbolt to display port adapter, a few times, waited, then plugged back in (even used the same display port on the graphics card). The flickering pixels disappeared.

Posted 04/28/2017 09:58 PM   
I sometimes get a sparkle on my GTX 680 when waking the display from sleep. I just put it back to sleep and wake it again and it usually goes away. The sparkle is around some edges so it has something to do with certain pixel colors I guess.
I sometimes get a sparkle on my GTX 680 when waking the display from sleep. I just put it back to sleep and wake it again and it usually goes away. The sparkle is around some edges so it has something to do with certain pixel colors I guess.

Posted 05/01/2017 12:45 AM   
[quote="joevt"]I sometimes get a sparkle on my GTX 680 when waking the display from sleep. I just put it back to sleep and wake it again and it usually goes away. The sparkle is around some edges so it has something to do with certain pixel colors I guess.[/quote] I just updated my post above to report that the sparkles are gone after shutting down and letting the computer sit over the weekend. For me it wasn't a sleep/wake issue because the computer hadn't gone to sleep when I saw them, it was from the beginning when I booted up after installing the card, and they were there after several restarts as well. Not sure what the fix was, but I'm happy I don't have to wait until the official drivers release for the fix.
joevt said:I sometimes get a sparkle on my GTX 680 when waking the display from sleep. I just put it back to sleep and wake it again and it usually goes away. The sparkle is around some edges so it has something to do with certain pixel colors I guess.

I just updated my post above to report that the sparkles are gone after shutting down and letting the computer sit over the weekend. For me it wasn't a sleep/wake issue because the computer hadn't gone to sleep when I saw them, it was from the beginning when I booted up after installing the card, and they were there after several restarts as well. Not sure what the fix was, but I'm happy I don't have to wait until the official drivers release for the fix.

Posted 05/01/2017 02:45 PM   
UPDATE 5/2/17 - 1 : GAHHH! Sparkles are back!!! (didn't disappear with a reboot or completely shutting down and starting back up) [b]UPDATE 5/2/17 - 2 : I think I found the problem thanks to this thread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/939358/geforce-1000-series/gtx-1080-flickering-issue/56/ It's not a driver issue, it's a display port cable issue. I was able to get the flashing pixels to disappear by unplugging the thunderbolt cable from the thunderbolt to display port adapter, a few times, waited, then plugged back in (even used the same display port on the graphics card). The flickering pixels disappeared.[/b]
UPDATE 5/2/17 - 1 : GAHHH! Sparkles are back!!! (didn't disappear with a reboot or completely shutting down and starting back up)

UPDATE 5/2/17 - 2 : I think I found the problem thanks to this thread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/939358/geforce-1000-series/gtx-1080-flickering-issue/56/
It's not a driver issue, it's a display port cable issue. I was able to get the flashing pixels to disappear by unplugging the thunderbolt cable from the thunderbolt to display port adapter, a few times, waited, then plugged back in (even used the same display port on the graphics card). The flickering pixels disappeared.

Posted 05/02/2017 05:56 PM   
My 2010 Mac Pro 3.333 GHz 6-core has been running a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti founders edition since May 20th. -very fast -draws less power than the GTX 780 Ti it replaced (the card's fan rarely spins up to audible levels) -runs flawlessly
My 2010 Mac Pro 3.333 GHz 6-core has been running a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti founders edition since May 20th.
-very fast
-draws less power than the GTX 780 Ti it replaced (the card's fan rarely spins up to audible levels)
-runs flawlessly

Posted 06/06/2017 05:22 AM   
A couple of bugs with NVIDIA GraphicsDriver 10.18.5 (378.05.05.25f01), MacOS 10.12.6, GTX 1080 Ti FE: -Little Snitch 4.01 Network Monitor window doesn't draw content (appears as transparent window; cursor changes when moving over the window; sorting functionality displays contextual menus when right clicking) -iTunes Visuallizer doesn't draw the animations (black screen when visualizer activated cmd-T and music playing) Not sure if nvidia's Mac Software group reads this forum.
A couple of bugs with NVIDIA GraphicsDriver 10.18.5 (378.05.05.25f01), MacOS 10.12.6, GTX 1080 Ti FE:
-Little Snitch 4.01 Network Monitor window doesn't draw content (appears as transparent window; cursor changes when moving over the window; sorting functionality displays contextual menus when right clicking)
-iTunes Visuallizer doesn't draw the animations (black screen when visualizer activated cmd-T and music playing)

Not sure if nvidia's Mac Software group reads this forum.

Posted 08/14/2017 11:58 PM   
Hi, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am desperate for help. I am a film editor with a Mac Pro (Early 2009) with 2 x 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon currently running a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3071 MB. A few month ago while running the GTX 780 video card on a beta Sierra 10.12.6 I decided to buy a flashed GTX 1080. (This one is not a Ti but a simple GForce GTX 1080) I decided then to wait until the official Sierra 10.12.6 came out and waited anxiously for the new 10.12.6 Nvidia drivers so I could install the new card into my computer. After doing all the drivers/Cuda updates and installing the card, I was hoping to experience the power of my brand spanking new card. Unfortunately when I opened the Nvidia updater I got a Non GPU detected Red sign. What I don’t understand is that I had previously downloaded the driver at: 10.12.6 (16G29) 378.05.05.25f01 (macVideoCards) Has anybody been able to run a GTX 1080 on Sierra 10.12.6? What do I need to do? Any help is appreciated
Hi, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am desperate for help. I am a film editor with a Mac Pro (Early 2009) with 2 x 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon currently running a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3071 MB.
A few month ago while running the GTX 780 video card on a beta Sierra 10.12.6 I decided to buy a flashed GTX 1080. (This one is not a Ti but a simple GForce GTX 1080) I decided then to wait until the official Sierra 10.12.6 came out and waited anxiously for the new 10.12.6 Nvidia drivers so I could install the new card into my computer.

After doing all the drivers/Cuda updates and installing the card, I was hoping to experience the power of my brand spanking new card. Unfortunately when I opened the Nvidia updater I got a Non GPU detected Red sign.

What I don’t understand is that I had previously downloaded the driver at:
10.12.6 (16G29) 378.05.05.25f01 (macVideoCards)

Has anybody been able to run a GTX 1080 on Sierra 10.12.6? What do I need to do?

Any help is appreciated

Posted 09/25/2017 12:40 AM   
Been using EVGA 1080 sc and works great and fast but has issues encoding video in Davinci and Red Cine X- may have a bad card?
Been using EVGA 1080 sc and works great and fast but has issues encoding video in Davinci and Red Cine X- may have a bad card?

Posted 09/25/2017 09:44 PM   
After changing daughter mother board and installing again Sierra is Working like a Charm!
After changing daughter mother board and installing again Sierra is Working like a Charm!

Posted 10/08/2017 05:30 PM   
  7 / 7    
Scroll To Top