GTX 1080 in 2012 Mac Pro
  1 / 7    
Will the GTX 1080 be compatible with the 2012 Mac Pro with the proper drivers?
Will the GTX 1080 be compatible with the 2012 Mac Pro with the proper drivers?

Posted 05/30/2016 06:39 PM   
I have the same question. Any answers anyone?
I have the same question. Any answers anyone?

Posted 06/01/2016 05:03 AM   
I'm also curious to see if this works. Will be awesome if it does!
I'm also curious to see if this works. Will be awesome if it does!

Posted 06/01/2016 09:06 AM   
I found this, not sure if it would work, but it looks promising... http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/102822/en-us
I found this, not sure if it would work, but it looks promising...

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/102822/en-us

Posted 06/02/2016 05:02 AM   
[quote="Nick_Brunner"]I found this, not sure if it would work, but it looks promising... http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/102822/en-us [/quote] That driver doesn't support the 1000 series, which is what you want in this case. Its listed as v346.x, whereas the Windows driver that supports the 1000 series is v368. v346.x only supports up to the GTX 680! I have a 2010 Mac Pro that I've temporarily swapped the GTX 680 for a GTX 1080, and not surprising it began software rendering. The Win10 install on bootcamp worked correctly though. As far as I can tell from reading TonyMacx86.com, spoofing the 1080 as a 680 will make the system crash :-/ Nvidia don't release their source, so it seems we're at a dead end until Apple decide to build a real desktop machine again. Sorry to be the bearer or bad news.
Nick_Brunner said:I found this, not sure if it would work, but it looks promising...

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/102822/en-us

That driver doesn't support the 1000 series, which is what you want in this case. Its listed as v346.x, whereas the Windows driver that supports the 1000 series is v368. v346.x only supports up to the GTX 680!

I have a 2010 Mac Pro that I've temporarily swapped the GTX 680 for a GTX 1080, and not surprising it began software rendering. The Win10 install on bootcamp worked correctly though.

As far as I can tell from reading TonyMacx86.com, spoofing the 1080 as a 680 will make the system crash :-/

Nvidia don't release their source, so it seems we're at a dead end until Apple decide to build a real desktop machine again.

Sorry to be the bearer or bad news.

Posted 06/05/2016 07:15 AM   
Hi all. I think we have to express our GREAT interest to NVIDIA for at least drivers for the Pascal GPU family for the "old" Mac Pro series. In fact the market exists. One is "legal" as the Mac Pro 4,1 and 5,1 are rock solid and we can improve them significantly and GPU is a big part. The second is maybe "illegal" but really significant with the Hackintosh scene… We can discuss for a long time why Hackintoshes exist but primarily because Apple is unable to provide what some users (and mainly high end users) want… On my side, I have 2 Mac Pro 4,1 transformed in 5,1 with X5690 processors and GB of RAM and these machines are essential for my job. And yes, to be able to put in GTX 1080 on the OS X side would be great! I can tell you that I have at least 3 colleagues who are very interested too… Lastly, EFI enabled GTX 1080 in addition of drivers would be the Nirvana :-)
Hi all.

I think we have to express our GREAT interest to NVIDIA for at least drivers for the Pascal GPU family for the "old" Mac Pro series.

In fact the market exists. One is "legal" as the Mac Pro 4,1 and 5,1 are rock solid and we can improve them significantly and GPU is a big part. The second is maybe "illegal" but really significant with the Hackintosh scene… We can discuss for a long time why Hackintoshes exist but primarily because Apple is unable to provide what some users (and mainly high end users) want…

On my side, I have 2 Mac Pro 4,1 transformed in 5,1 with X5690 processors and GB of RAM and these machines are essential for my job. And yes, to be able to put in GTX 1080 on the OS X side would be great! I can tell you that I have at least 3 colleagues who are very interested too…

Lastly, EFI enabled GTX 1080 in addition of drivers would be the Nirvana :-)

Posted 06/05/2016 02:52 PM   
Hi, I run pretty much the same system as MacVador (4.1 converted to 5.1 max RAM and a GForce 3GB 660) for professional work. This is a standard setup for many video and web professionals. This is the market where a CUDA card would really help improve systems, as Premier Pro is hardware accelerated. I have already purchased a 1080 completely forgetting about having to wait for driver support. Probably need to return it but I'm adding my voice to say there is a great market for these - especially as the 1080 only takes 1x 8 pin 150w molex. Easily achieved with an internal Y cable joining taking power from the two internal 6 pin 75w ATXs. Its a neat solution which isn't possible with a Titan.
Hi, I run pretty much the same system as MacVador (4.1 converted to 5.1 max RAM and a GForce 3GB 660) for professional work. This is a standard setup for many video and web professionals. This is the market where a CUDA card would really help improve systems, as Premier Pro is hardware accelerated.

I have already purchased a 1080 completely forgetting about having to wait for driver support. Probably need to return it but I'm adding my voice to say there is a great market for these - especially as the 1080 only takes 1x 8 pin 150w molex. Easily achieved with an internal Y cable joining taking power from the two internal 6 pin 75w ATXs. Its a neat solution which isn't possible with a Titan.

Posted 06/06/2016 05:08 PM   
I hear what you're both (MacVador and digitalvisual) saying and agree. Those dustbin Mac Pros are everywhere at my wife's place of work, and she says they hate them. :-/ Apple seem to have fallen behind on VR, which is weird. Palmer Lucky says if Apple make a decent machine for VR they'll support it, but right now there's no point trying until they ship something with enough GPU horsepower. As I understand it you can actually take a Mac Pro 5,1 from 2010 and fit it with a GTX 980ti. Using Nvidia's web installer, you'd get a Steam VR-ready system on paper!
I hear what you're both (MacVador and digitalvisual) saying and agree. Those dustbin Mac Pros are everywhere at my wife's place of work, and she says they hate them. :-/

Apple seem to have fallen behind on VR, which is weird. Palmer Lucky says if Apple make a decent machine for VR they'll support it, but right now there's no point trying until they ship something with enough GPU horsepower.

As I understand it you can actually take a Mac Pro 5,1 from 2010 and fit it with a GTX 980ti. Using Nvidia's web installer, you'd get a Steam VR-ready system on paper!

Posted 06/06/2016 09:17 PM   
[quote="cubusaddendum"]I hear what you're both (MacVador and digitalvisual) saying and agree. Those dustbin Mac Pros are everywhere at my wife's place of work, and she says they hate them. :-/ Apple seem to have fallen behind on VR, which is weird. Palmer Lucky says if Apple make a decent machine for VR they'll support it, but right now there's no point trying until they ship something with enough GPU horsepower. As I understand it you can actually take a Mac Pro 5,1 from 2010 and fit it with a GTX 980ti. Using Nvidia's web installer, you'd get a Steam VR-ready system on paper! [/quote] Just checking the Apple website, the current top end MacPro's GPU does 2.2 Tflops. The GTX 1080 does 9 Tflops.
cubusaddendum said:I hear what you're both (MacVador and digitalvisual) saying and agree. Those dustbin Mac Pros are everywhere at my wife's place of work, and she says they hate them. :-/

Apple seem to have fallen behind on VR, which is weird. Palmer Lucky says if Apple make a decent machine for VR they'll support it, but right now there's no point trying until they ship something with enough GPU horsepower.

As I understand it you can actually take a Mac Pro 5,1 from 2010 and fit it with a GTX 980ti. Using Nvidia's web installer, you'd get a Steam VR-ready system on paper!

Just checking the Apple website, the current top end MacPro's GPU does 2.2 Tflops. The GTX 1080 does 9 Tflops.

Posted 06/06/2016 09:57 PM   
The 980ti is supported in older versions of the Mac Pro's. So if you don't want to wait and need a cheaper, fast solution it's still a great card
The 980ti is supported in older versions of the Mac Pro's. So if you don't want to wait and need a cheaper, fast solution it's still a great card

Posted 06/06/2016 11:43 PM   
I confirm that 980Ti runs pretty well in the 4,1/5,1 Mac Pro series :-)
I confirm that 980Ti runs pretty well in the 4,1/5,1 Mac Pro series :-)

Posted 06/07/2016 06:05 AM   
I am still on Mac Pro 5.1 and everything runs fine upto a point in my Davinci Resolve Studio. I am using Titan as my GPU and Quadro 4000 as my GUI. Was planning to upgrade to Titan X when this 1080 thing happened. I am holding back my decision to upgrade for a few months, hoping against hope that 1080 will be made compatible to Mac OSX. That would be a real boon. Mac Pro towers (4.1,5.1) are still wonderful machines and I have to hold on to them for a few more years just because of the Prores codec. Otherwise I would have shifted to Windows long ago!
I am still on Mac Pro 5.1 and everything runs fine upto a point in my Davinci Resolve Studio. I am using Titan as my GPU and Quadro 4000 as my GUI. Was planning to upgrade to Titan X when this 1080 thing happened. I am holding back my decision to upgrade for a few months, hoping against hope that 1080 will be made compatible to Mac OSX. That would be a real boon.

Mac Pro towers (4.1,5.1) are still wonderful machines and I have to hold on to them for a few more years just because of the Prores codec. Otherwise I would have shifted to Windows long ago!

Posted 06/08/2016 03:59 AM   
There are some good news on the blog of MacVidCards where they have detected some traces for Pascal support in the driver for 10.12 beta!!! This sounds very promising :-) Thank you and maintain your efforts Nvidia team!
There are some good news on the blog of MacVidCards where they have detected some traces for Pascal support in the driver for 10.12 beta!!! This sounds very promising :-)

Thank you and maintain your efforts Nvidia team!

Posted 06/17/2016 03:00 PM   
I too am anxiously waiting for the drivers for Mac OS. I have installed a GTX 1080 in a 2010 cMP 5.1 but it is not being picked up correctly by the OS using the most recent drivers (346.03.10f02), it only shows it as Display ([url=https://s32.postimg.org/a8qtndbxh/Screen_Shot_2016_06_30_at_04_10_48.png]see screenshot[/url]) and couldn't get it to work at all.
I too am anxiously waiting for the drivers for Mac OS.
I have installed a GTX 1080 in a 2010 cMP 5.1 but it is not being picked up correctly by the OS using the most recent drivers (346.03.10f02), it only shows it as Display (see screenshot) and couldn't get it to work at all.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
CPU: 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
RAM: 128 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
Video: EVGA GTX 1080
Monitor: Dell UP2715K
macOS Sierra 10.13.2

Posted 06/30/2016 03:24 AM   
Im on the MacPro 5,1 and using the GTX1080. this only works for me in Bootcamp though. I would love a driver for OsX so I did't have to swap cables from my 1080 to my Quadro 4000 every time I want to boot into Osx. Any response from Nvidia would be great! will we cMacPro users get a driver soon?.
Im on the MacPro 5,1 and using the GTX1080. this only works for me in Bootcamp though. I would love a driver for OsX so I did't have to swap cables from my 1080 to my Quadro 4000 every time I want to boot into Osx. Any response from Nvidia would be great! will we cMacPro users get a driver soon?.

Posted 06/30/2016 07:51 AM   
  1 / 7    
Scroll To Top