Official SHIELD Tablet K1 OTA 1.2 Feedback Thread (Released 04/13/16)
  10 / 10    
It's not an Android thing it is specifically an Nvidia thing in my opinion. It is down to their revision of Andriod M for their hardware, or their hardware itself. I have other devices which are not suffering this issue, only the K1 tablet seems to be unfit for the purpose it was designed. If even plugged in, it drains the battery in a relatively short time, something is wrong. Point to be made here. This is a 'Gamers Tablet'. Emphasis on the Gamer. If it can't stay powered up when plugged in and play games when other tablets running Android M can, then how is it fit for purpose. I don't even think the battery was so great under v5 either. Nvidia have asked me specifically which games are using up the battery because, "not all games are optimised". That is another way of blaming the game creators in other companies and NOT the tablet. Seeing as I have many games created for the shield, such as portal etc. I do not see their point can be made. I am sending it back RMA once Nvidia pull their finger out. I would not advise anyone to buy this tablet. If you want a gaming tablet, spend the money. I guess yo get what you pay for and at 149.99 you get a rather expensive tablet to browse the web with, or a cheap one that claims it can play games but can't really. Depends how you want to look at it, neither is good.
It's not an Android thing it is specifically an Nvidia thing in my opinion. It is down to their revision of Andriod M for their hardware, or their hardware itself.
I have other devices which are not suffering this issue, only the K1 tablet seems to be unfit for the purpose it was designed.
If even plugged in, it drains the battery in a relatively short time, something is wrong.

Point to be made here. This is a 'Gamers Tablet'. Emphasis on the Gamer. If it can't stay powered up when plugged in and play games when other tablets running Android M can, then how is it fit for purpose.

I don't even think the battery was so great under v5 either. Nvidia have asked me specifically which games are using up the battery because, "not all games are optimised". That is another way of blaming the game creators in other companies and NOT the tablet.

Seeing as I have many games created for the shield, such as portal etc. I do not see their point can be made.

I am sending it back RMA once Nvidia pull their finger out. I would not advise anyone to buy this tablet. If you want a gaming tablet, spend the money. I guess yo get what you pay for and at 149.99 you get a rather expensive tablet to browse the web with, or a cheap one that claims it can play games but can't really. Depends how you want to look at it, neither is good.

Posted 05/17/2016 10:00 AM   
[quote="grahamalunrobson"]It's not an Android thing it is specifically an Nvidia thing in my opinion. It is down to their revision of Andriod M for their hardware, or their hardware itself.[/quote] You're be patently and utterly wrong in that assessment, and a cursory search on Google would tell you that the problems seen on the K1 have been endemic to Android M since its release. The same problems occurred on Nexus devices, Samsung devices, Lexus devices; in fact, if you did that search I just referred you to you'd note that pretty much every device manufacturer has been combating almost exactly the same problems since day zero. [quote]I have other devices which are not suffering this issue, only the K1 tablet seems to be unfit for the purpose it was designed.[/quote] And other customers have shield devices that aren't suffering the problems you are on the K1. What this should tell you is that the problems - which run across pretty much every device capable of moving to M - is a case of "pot luck". On your other devices, you were lucky. On your K1, you weren't. [quote]Point to be made here. This is a 'Gamers Tablet'. Emphasis on the Gamer. If it can't stay powered up when plugged in and play games when other tablets running Android M can, then how is it fit for purpose.[/quote] No, the point to be made here is that out of every Android release since its inception, M has been the worst and has had the most problems across multiple devices by pretty much every manufacturer. On my phone, which is a fairly obscure brand in the west, the devs pulled Android M straight away after two of their test devices displayed exactly the same problems that the K1 has been having. Nexus devices had exactly the same problems until Google managed to resolve them ( which is what you get for owning a devices directly next to Google in the distribution pipeline ). Samsung have had problems with both their Tabs and Notes when it comes to M. XDA has a sea of threads about Android M battery drain problems and broken wifi, spanning pretty much every device you can think of. Infact, the only devices that don't seem to be impacted by it all are the ones that came out post-M release. If the lesson you're taking away from problems endemic to an operating system is that the device the OS is running on is at fault, when it clearly isn't true, then you've abandoned the realm of reasonable commentary and entered into fanatical and desperate madness.
grahamalunrobson said:It's not an Android thing it is specifically an Nvidia thing in my opinion. It is down to their revision of Andriod M for their hardware, or their hardware itself.

You're be patently and utterly wrong in that assessment, and a cursory search on Google would tell you that the problems seen on the K1 have been endemic to Android M since its release. The same problems occurred on Nexus devices, Samsung devices, Lexus devices; in fact, if you did that search I just referred you to you'd note that pretty much every device manufacturer has been combating almost exactly the same problems since day zero.

I have other devices which are not suffering this issue, only the K1 tablet seems to be unfit for the purpose it was designed.

And other customers have shield devices that aren't suffering the problems you are on the K1. What this should tell you is that the problems - which run across pretty much every device capable of moving to M - is a case of "pot luck". On your other devices, you were lucky. On your K1, you weren't.

Point to be made here. This is a 'Gamers Tablet'. Emphasis on the Gamer. If it can't stay powered up when plugged in and play games when other tablets running Android M can, then how is it fit for purpose.

No, the point to be made here is that out of every Android release since its inception, M has been the worst and has had the most problems across multiple devices by pretty much every manufacturer. On my phone, which is a fairly obscure brand in the west, the devs pulled Android M straight away after two of their test devices displayed exactly the same problems that the K1 has been having. Nexus devices had exactly the same problems until Google managed to resolve them ( which is what you get for owning a devices directly next to Google in the distribution pipeline ). Samsung have had problems with both their Tabs and Notes when it comes to M. XDA has a sea of threads about Android M battery drain problems and broken wifi, spanning pretty much every device you can think of. Infact, the only devices that don't seem to be impacted by it all are the ones that came out post-M release.

If the lesson you're taking away from problems endemic to an operating system is that the device the OS is running on is at fault, when it clearly isn't true, then you've abandoned the realm of reasonable commentary and entered into fanatical and desperate madness.

Posted 05/18/2016 10:02 AM   
This stupid update has significantly impacted my tablets performance. Apps stall to the point that I need to force close them and reopen. Video on fb and YouTube stutters until it just feels like working again. Last update jacked my Wifi, this time performance. WTF nvidia...
This stupid update has significantly impacted my tablets performance. Apps stall to the point that I need to force close them and reopen. Video on fb and YouTube stutters until it just feels like working again. Last update jacked my Wifi, this time performance. WTF nvidia...

Posted 05/19/2016 06:43 PM   
Hey there, i'm still on 1.1 an it works so far. As I read it doesn't make sense to update to 1.2 right? Or did Nvidia fix anything? It is really weird to check the forum if i can update or if it will go with problems! Don't know this from my other devices. Why do they have problems with such a great device? What to do?
Hey there,

i'm still on 1.1 an it works so far. As I read it doesn't make sense to update to 1.2 right? Or did Nvidia fix anything? It is really weird to check the forum if i can update or if it will go with problems! Don't know this from my other devices. Why do they have problems with such a great device?

What to do?

Posted 05/24/2016 01:24 PM   
A couple of days ago I bought a new Shield K1. It keeps reminding me to perform an update to Android 6.0.1. But every time I try to install this Marshmallow update the download of the OTA it stops at 54%. There is no SD card inside. I did wipe the cache partition and performed a factory reset but to no avail. How can I get the OTA file? Or is this the hand of God?
A couple of days ago I bought a new Shield K1. It keeps reminding me to perform an update to Android 6.0.1. But every time I try to install this Marshmallow update the download of the OTA it stops at 54%. There is no SD card inside. I did wipe the cache partition and performed a factory reset but to no avail. How can I get the OTA file? Or is this the hand of God?

Posted 05/30/2016 08:43 AM   
Gosh, the RAM management is really bad. I can't keep apps frozen in the background for long. Even if I'm merely playing games like Disney Tsum Tsum, they can't even keep backgrounded properly when two applications are open. Apps take a long time to resume (or rather, reopen every time) and even after loading, they would be unresponsive for a few seconds. I seriously have no idea how it manages to freeze when opening up the Settings app. I've seen low memory warnings in Chrome, yet the Memory page in the Settings app tells me that Settings app tells me that everything is normal. I've even disabled a lot of Google applications, including the Google App itself, so I have no idea what's going on. Also, the Wi-Fi bug is killing me. Every time I wake up the tablet, it refuses to connect to my home network without me manually opening the Settings app and switching it off and on. Even if it's connected, speeds would be so slow that it might as well be disconnected from the network. This is nothing like the Nexus 7 replacement that I wanted. I am so close to flashing a custom ROM and custom kernel to fix these issues! Any help?
Gosh, the RAM management is really bad. I can't keep apps frozen in the background for long. Even if I'm merely playing games like Disney Tsum Tsum, they can't even keep backgrounded properly when two applications are open.

Apps take a long time to resume (or rather, reopen every time) and even after loading, they would be unresponsive for a few seconds. I seriously have no idea how it manages to freeze when opening up the Settings app. I've seen low memory warnings in Chrome, yet the Memory page in the Settings app tells me that Settings app tells me that everything is normal. I've even disabled a lot of Google applications, including the Google App itself, so I have no idea what's going on.

Also, the Wi-Fi bug is killing me. Every time I wake up the tablet, it refuses to connect to my home network without me manually opening the Settings app and switching it off and on. Even if it's connected, speeds would be so slow that it might as well be disconnected from the network.

This is nothing like the Nexus 7 replacement that I wanted.

I am so close to flashing a custom ROM and custom kernel to fix these issues! Any help?

Posted 06/10/2016 01:02 PM   
I just wanted to say that I was on the fence about updating to 1.2 because of the reports about touch responsiveness and other issues like lag in gameplay. However, I felt brave and did it anyway, hoping mine was a good unit like some of the guys on this forum. As mine is a new model I just received today and I have to say I'm really impressed that NVIDIA have released [i]another[/i] update for the Shield K1 called 1.3!!! Now 1.3 suggests it has addressed almost all the points listed here as grievances so I'm delighted that Nvidia are listening to the community and supporting their devices up till now. I'm a PC gamer and own a GTX 980ti since last year and a half and I expected nothing less from Nvidia. They didn't disappoint. I will be testing for the next few days and report any janky behaviour if I encounter any. Bear in mind I will have nothing to compare with as this is a brand new device for me. This doesn't mean I won't notice wifi issues or low fps in games. I will come here and say so. Kudos to Nvidia, anyway.
I just wanted to say that I was on the fence about updating to 1.2 because of the reports about touch responsiveness and other issues like lag in gameplay. However, I felt brave and did it anyway, hoping mine was a good unit like some of the guys on this forum. As mine is a new model I just received today and I have to say I'm really impressed that NVIDIA have released another update for the Shield K1 called 1.3!!! Now 1.3 suggests it has addressed almost all the points listed here as grievances so I'm delighted that Nvidia are listening to the community and supporting their devices up till now. I'm a PC gamer and own a GTX 980ti since last year and a half and I expected nothing less from Nvidia. They didn't disappoint. I will be testing for the next few days and report any janky behaviour if I encounter any. Bear in mind I will have nothing to compare with as this is a brand new device for me. This doesn't mean I won't notice wifi issues or low fps in games. I will come here and say so.

Kudos to Nvidia, anyway.

Posted 07/19/2016 04:45 PM   
  10 / 10    
Scroll To Top