For all people with black screens/no signal issues
  1 / 3    
Hi! I made this thread to discuss about black screen and no signal issues. I also have a hunch that these issues are also causing the random reboots. These problems have been bothering me a for a long time and I haven't found a permanent fix yet but I did find couple pretty permanent workaround fix(es) but I'll talk about them later. For me the problems surface after getting past the Windows login. I would casually browse my folders and Chrome for a minute or two and then POP. I hear a popping noise and the screen goes black. Then my monitor says no signal and goes to standby mode. The popping sound doesn't always happen so I find that pretty interesting. Also to mention, my monitor refuses to come back from sleep. It just says no signal and goes to standby mode. This also happens when I manually shut down my monitor and then try to power it back on. [u]These no signal issues don't happen to me when I am:[/u] 1. Using any other cable than DP. For instance hdmi works fine without problems. But I have seen people with hdmi complaining about these black screen issues. I will talk about this later in my workaround fixes. 2. Using any other resolution than 4k. 2k and 1080p work just fine for me. 4. Using my monitor @4k 30Hz mode.(this works only sometimes) 5. Having no Nvidia drivers installed. T[u]hings I tried to fix this problem[/u](note: these "fixes" worked for some people but not for me so I am guessing they had a different issues): [i]- Updating drivers - Updating motherboard bios - Updating Vbios - Disabling sleepmode. Both monitor and pc - Disabling fastboot - Disabling DDC/CI from monitor settings - Undercloking my monitor to 59HZ - Overclocking my monitor to 61HZ - Switching between Windows versions - Trying older gpu drivers - Changing input detection from auto to DP only - Fiddling in Nvidia control panel trying various things like changing the display scaling settings, disabling monitor speakers etc - Some people said that changing PCI-E lane from Auto to GEN3 in bios fixed these issues. I don't have such an option in my bios so I can't confirm that. - Also changing the EDID settings for monitor has worked for some people. This fix is only for people with Quadro cards to my knowledge. - And many other questionable fixes[/i] [u]Things that partially worked:[/u] [i]- Unplugging the DP cable and then plugging it back in. This sometimes worked but it's very annoying and time consuming to unplug/plug the cable constantly. This is also very bad for the cable itself physically. - Pulling out the monitor power cord for like 5-15 minutes and then plugging it back. - Rebooting the computer[/i] NOTE: If you are getting TDRs then the problems are related to different things such as drivers, overclocks and etc. This is not a TDR problem! [u]THE WORKAROUND "FIX" 1[/u] After wasting many hours trying to solve these problems I noticed that refreshing your resolution or monitor's Hz seems to bring back the picture. So I downloaded a tool called HRC which is knows as HotKey Resolution changer. Then I made a shorcut of the program and placed it in the Window's auto startup folder so that every time Windows starts it load up automatically the program. Then I set F12 key for 4k @61Hz and F11 for 4k@ 60Hz.(I made custom resolutions in Nvidia control panel). But you can also set the F11 key for 4k @30Hz because it has the same effect which is refreshing/changing your Hz/resolution. I am still not sure if this is a working fix for people that are having these problems with 2k, 144hz 1080p setups. They might have a different problem which is not related to these problems. So as the black screen happens I just press F11 to change my Hz and wait for the picture to appear. If it doesn't come back I just press F12 to change my Hz back to 61Hz and voila. The picture comes back everytime I have done this. I am currently using this method to temporarily fix my problem. Now I don't have to reboot or unplug/plug cables constantly. [u]THE WORKAROUND "FIX" 2[/u] Isolating the 20th pin in dp cable or the 19th pin in hdmi cable (not sure if you need to isolate the 19th pin in dp but I believe it's 19th for the hdmi and 20th for the dp). I have not tested this yet but it seems pretty logical that if you isolate the pin that is causing the problems then the cable should work correctly. You need some electrical tape to do this but you're taking this risk by yourself so don't blame me if something breaks. You have been warned. Here is the website I got the information: http://superuser.com/questions/630555/turning-displayport-monitor-off-disables-monitor-completely Here is the dp version: http://sepczuk.com/techblog/2013/07/displayport-sleep-resume-problem-resolved/ I will most likely test this tomorrow and post back the results if this works! [u]SPECULATION AND THE MAIN PROBLEM I THINK IS CAUSING THESE ISSUES[/u]: - Windows problems. - Nvidia driver problem. - Edid handshake issue causing the monitor and gpu the get out of sync - Bad cable - Bad PSU - Old bios and vbios versions - Broken gpu or monitor - Bad ports in monitor or gpu - Firmware bug in monitor. Maybe related to internal power saving features - Wrong values in Window's power saving settings - Starting games, changing resolution in them or booting up Chrome seems to have something to do with these issues. They seem to some extend trigger the black screens. Not quite sure if the black screens happened just by luck but who knows [u]- Using Non VESA standard cable[/u] This might be it. According to VESA standards there shouldn't be 20th pin in use in Displayport cables(feeding 3,3volts between monitor and gpu which is unnecessary and maybe causing these issues). VESA said this: " 3.2.2 DP_PWR Wire A standard DisplayPort cable must have no wire for the DP_PWR pin. Only captive cables supplied with cable powered Branch Devices or cables permanently attached to Sink Devices are permitted to have the wire for DP_PWR. These captive/attached cables must have a standard DisplayPort plug connector (as specified in Section 4.2.1) on one end only. The other end must either be permanently attached or have a custom connector. " I am currently looking into VESA compliant cables. I am very sure that this might be the ultimate fix for these issues. I am now using a BizLink cable which is not working correctly because it has the 20th pin in use. I'll first try the workaround fix 2 before I buy a new cable. Original and more technical info is located here: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1337147463&postcount=82 Compliant VESA cables: http://www.displayport.org/products-database/?products_category%5b%5d=cables-connectors&products_manufacturer= Click the box next to cables to see the compliant ones And here is a video about the issue I am having. This is not my video. He is running 1080p but the same problem occurs at 4k too https://youtu.be/h_ty_cedM6s Feel free to discuss about these issues! The more people talk about these issues the more information we can gather to solve these problems! Ps. I am not sure if these are the same problems people are having with their 1080p, 2k, 144hz, G-Sync monitors. They might be related to something else or fall under the same category as these problems do.
Hi! I made this thread to discuss about black screen and no signal issues. I also have a hunch that these issues are also causing the random reboots. These problems have been bothering me a for a long time and I haven't found a permanent fix yet but I did find couple pretty permanent workaround fix(es) but I'll talk about them later.

For me the problems surface after getting past the Windows login. I would casually browse my folders and Chrome for a minute or two and then POP. I hear a popping noise and the screen goes black. Then my monitor says no signal and goes to standby mode. The popping sound doesn't always happen so I find that pretty interesting.

Also to mention, my monitor refuses to come back from sleep. It just says no signal and goes to standby mode. This also happens when I manually shut down my monitor and then try to power it back on.

These no signal issues don't happen to me when I am:

1. Using any other cable than DP. For instance hdmi works fine without problems. But I have seen people with hdmi complaining about these black screen issues. I will talk about this later in my workaround fixes.

2. Using any other resolution than 4k. 2k and 1080p work just fine for me.

4. Using my monitor @4k 30Hz mode.(this works only sometimes)

5. Having no Nvidia drivers installed.

Things I tried to fix this problem(note: these "fixes" worked for some people but not for me so I am guessing they had a different issues):

- Updating drivers
- Updating motherboard bios
- Updating Vbios
- Disabling sleepmode. Both monitor and pc
- Disabling fastboot
- Disabling DDC/CI from monitor settings
- Undercloking my monitor to 59HZ
- Overclocking my monitor to 61HZ
- Switching between Windows versions
- Trying older gpu drivers
- Changing input detection from auto to DP only
- Fiddling in Nvidia control panel trying various things like changing the display scaling settings, disabling monitor speakers etc
- Some people said that changing PCI-E lane from Auto to GEN3 in bios fixed these issues. I don't have such an option in my bios so I can't confirm that.
- Also changing the EDID settings for monitor has worked for some people. This fix is only for people with Quadro cards to my knowledge.
- And many other questionable fixes

Things that partially worked:

- Unplugging the DP cable and then plugging it back in. This sometimes worked but it's very annoying and time consuming to unplug/plug the cable constantly. This is also very bad for the cable itself physically.

- Pulling out the monitor power cord for like 5-15 minutes and then plugging it back.

- Rebooting the computer

NOTE: If you are getting TDRs then the problems are related to different things such as drivers, overclocks and etc. This is not a TDR problem!

THE WORKAROUND "FIX" 1

After wasting many hours trying to solve these problems I noticed that refreshing your resolution or monitor's Hz seems to bring back the picture. So I downloaded a tool called HRC which is knows as HotKey Resolution changer. Then I made a shorcut of the program and placed it in the Window's auto startup folder so that every time Windows starts it load up automatically the program. Then I set F12 key for 4k @61Hz and F11 for 4k@ 60Hz.(I made custom resolutions in Nvidia control panel). But you can also set the F11 key for 4k @30Hz because it has the same effect which is refreshing/changing your Hz/resolution. I am still not sure if this is a working fix for people that are having these problems with 2k, 144hz 1080p setups. They might have a different problem which is not related to these problems.
So as the black screen happens I just press F11 to change my Hz and wait for the picture to appear. If it doesn't come back I just press F12 to change my Hz back to 61Hz and voila. The picture comes back everytime I have done this. I am currently using this method to temporarily fix my problem. Now I don't have to reboot or unplug/plug cables constantly.

THE WORKAROUND "FIX" 2

Isolating the 20th pin in dp cable or the 19th pin in hdmi cable (not sure if you need to isolate the 19th pin in dp but I believe it's 19th for the hdmi and 20th for the dp).

I have not tested this yet but it seems pretty logical that if you isolate the pin that is causing the problems then the cable should work correctly. You need some electrical tape to do this but you're taking this risk by yourself so don't blame me if something breaks. You have been warned.
Here is the website I got the information:
http://superuser.com/questions/630555/turning-displayport-monitor-off-disables-monitor-completely

Here is the dp version:
http://sepczuk.com/techblog/2013/07/displayport-sleep-resume-problem-resolved/

I will most likely test this tomorrow and post back the results if this works!

SPECULATION AND THE MAIN PROBLEM I THINK IS CAUSING THESE ISSUES:

- Windows problems.
- Nvidia driver problem.
- Edid handshake issue causing the monitor and gpu the get out of sync
- Bad cable
- Bad PSU
- Old bios and vbios versions
- Broken gpu or monitor
- Bad ports in monitor or gpu
- Firmware bug in monitor. Maybe related to internal power saving features
- Wrong values in Window's power saving settings
- Starting games, changing resolution in them or booting up Chrome seems to have something to do with these issues. They seem to some extend trigger the black screens. Not quite sure if the black screens happened just by luck but who knows

- Using Non VESA standard cable
This might be it. According to VESA standards there shouldn't be 20th pin in use in Displayport cables(feeding 3,3volts between monitor and gpu which is unnecessary and maybe causing these issues). VESA said this: "

3.2.2 DP_PWR Wire
A standard DisplayPort cable must have no wire for the DP_PWR pin.
Only captive cables supplied with cable powered Branch Devices or cables permanently attached to Sink
Devices are permitted to have the wire for DP_PWR. These captive/attached cables must have a standard
DisplayPort plug connector (as specified in Section 4.2.1) on one end only. The other end must either be
permanently attached or have a custom connector. "

I am currently looking into VESA compliant cables. I am very sure that this might be the ultimate fix for these issues. I am now using a BizLink cable which is not working correctly because it has the 20th pin in use. I'll first try the workaround fix 2 before I buy a new cable.

Original and more technical info is located here:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1337147463&postcount=82

Compliant VESA cables:

http://www.displayport.org/products-database/?products_category%5b%5d=cables-connectors&products_manufacturer=

Click the box next to cables to see the compliant ones

And here is a video about the issue I am having. This is not my video. He is running 1080p but the same problem occurs at 4k too

https://youtu.be/h_ty_cedM6s

Feel free to discuss about these issues! The more people talk about these issues the more information we can gather to solve these problems!

Ps. I am not sure if these are the same problems people are having with their 1080p, 2k, 144hz, G-Sync monitors. They might be related to something else or fall under the same category as these problems do.

MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | AMD Ryzen 5 1600X | GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC 2050mhz/10400mhz | XFX 650W XXX Edition Semi Modular 80+ Bronze | G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2133Mhz| Noctua NH-D15 | Windows 10 64-bit 1607 | Samsung Evo 850 500GB | Kingston UV400 240Gb SSD | Asus 27" ROG PG279Q | Corsair Strafe RGB MX Red | Steelseries Rival 310 |

Posted 09/23/2015 11:54 PM   
Hey there, I found a way around those crashes but it sounds ridiculous so bear with me here. My glorious GTX970 does that only once per power cycle. It doesn't matter what resolution/refresh rate is on, nor what BIOS features were disabled. This is how I get around this issue: 1. Start the PC 2. Launch a VERY demanding game. I use Crysis 3 at Ultra preset (4k resolution) 3. Wait for the black screen (this is the time I go get some tea, happens within 2-3 minutes) 4. Once you get the black screen, shut the PC down by holding your power button for 5 seconds, don't touch any power cables and switches (this is the key, power must be on all this time) 5. Start the PC with the power button as if nothing happened 6. Profit, enjoy your stable system. Black screen will never happen again until you shut down your PC. Then the process repeats. I was doing this for last 3-4 months and I am so used to this I tend to forget my card is completely f**ked and will be the last product from both Nvidia and Gigabyte in my environment. Card is running at 1470mhz core and 8000mhz memory right now, power limit 112% and game load temperatures peak at 80 degrees with 5 120mm case fans. I had the card sent for RMA three times and always came back working like this. Freshly solded components made it a killer overclocker though. Back to the point, it has to be a power issue. I have no logical explanation why this kind of "power button" reset helps. It has something to do with card launching from pre-powered system but the electronic wizardry happening inside this thing is beyond my understanding.
Hey there,

I found a way around those crashes but it sounds ridiculous so bear with me here.

My glorious GTX970 does that only once per power cycle. It doesn't matter what resolution/refresh rate is on, nor what BIOS features were disabled. This is how I get around this issue:

1. Start the PC
2. Launch a VERY demanding game. I use Crysis 3 at Ultra preset (4k resolution)
3. Wait for the black screen (this is the time I go get some tea, happens within 2-3 minutes)
4. Once you get the black screen, shut the PC down by holding your power button for 5 seconds, don't touch any power cables and switches (this is the key, power must be on all this time)
5. Start the PC with the power button as if nothing happened
6. Profit, enjoy your stable system. Black screen will never happen again until you shut down your PC. Then the process repeats.

I was doing this for last 3-4 months and I am so used to this I tend to forget my card is completely f**ked and will be the last product from both Nvidia and Gigabyte in my environment.

Card is running at 1470mhz core and 8000mhz memory right now, power limit 112% and game load temperatures peak at 80 degrees with 5 120mm case fans. I had the card sent for RMA three times and always came back working like this. Freshly solded components made it a killer overclocker though.

Back to the point, it has to be a power issue. I have no logical explanation why this kind of "power button" reset helps. It has something to do with card launching from pre-powered system but the electronic wizardry happening inside this thing is beyond my understanding.

Posted 10/14/2015 08:38 AM   
When I connects my graphics card then to every thing go very low resolution because of absence of drivers and after installing drivers it's back to full resolution and after 10sec my monitor says no cable connection... I tried different versions of drivers but nothing helps me... I connected HDMI to motherboard and it's works fine My new Gtx 970 is connected to monitor by HDMI and after 30 second my monitor says no cable connection but all fans are running... Is my graphics card failed
When I connects my graphics card then to every thing go very low resolution because of absence of drivers and after installing drivers it's back to full resolution and after 10sec my monitor says no cable connection... I tried different versions of drivers but nothing helps me... I connected HDMI to motherboard and it's works fine
My new Gtx 970 is connected to monitor by HDMI and after 30 second my monitor says no cable connection but all fans are running... Is my graphics card failed

Posted 10/16/2015 04:04 PM   
i have single module ram with all setting matched , not any oc profile active , i dont have DVI cable to check out , i formatted windows 10 to newly 8.1 , ussing total delete disk option on windows installation ,i dont have any other pc to check graphic card , my card was worked for 1 month with many games until tomorrow , my card is works when no graphic driver is installed but whenever i installed any version of driver is shows no cable connection on monitor it will happened on every restart of windows .... please tell me the problem
i have single module ram with all setting matched , not any oc profile active , i dont have DVI cable to check out , i formatted windows 10 to newly 8.1 , ussing total delete disk option on windows installation ,i dont have any other pc to check graphic card , my card was worked for 1 month with many games until tomorrow , my card is works when no graphic driver is installed but whenever i installed any version of driver is shows no cable connection on monitor it will happened on every restart of windows .... please tell me the problem

Posted 10/16/2015 04:04 PM   
This seems to be the latest thread around black screen/no signal (is see 'resolution not supported' sometimes too) showing on monitor so I'd like to enquire as well. Although based on the number of different threads with this issue I'm quite concerned that I bought this video card now as my connection to the HDMI TV seems to be virtually useless. First though some information on my setup(s): NEW Computer: MOBO: MSI x99s gaming 7 CPU: Intel Core i7-5930k BIOS: H.AO (latest version) Video Adapter Card: Nividia GEFORICE GTX 960 (driver 59.06 latest) OS: Windows 10 64 bit RAM: 16 Gig HDD: SSD 256 Gig Display 1: old display - Acer AL2616W connected to video adapter via DVI port (set to main monitor) Display 2: fairly new - Vizio HD TV M422i-B1 connective via DVI port to HDMI (tried HDMI to HDMI too) Problem Observations: 1) Display 1 works in native (1920 x 1200) (i.e. Screen Only to this device) 2) Display 1 & 2 works (i.e. both for Extended and Duplicate Screen mode) - When both in 1920 X 1080 and when Display 1 is native (1920 x 1200) and Display 2 is native (1920 x 1080). - Did find Display 2 showing the ERROR no signal, or 'resolution not supported' as well. *** I was able to fix by going in to the display adapter properties and ensuring the MHZ was set to 60. sometimes it would go to 120MHZ. when set back to 60 then boom the error would go away and the display would work. 3) Display 2 DOES NOT Work (1920 x 1080) ( i.e. When it is set to SCREEN ONLY to this device) - message on monitor comes up with either 'no signal' or 'resolution not supported' - 'resolution not supported' seemed to come up when it tries to use the native resolution of display 1 and/or MHZ isn't set to 60. But when it's the only monitor I can't get in to change it (nor should I have to). 4) Display 2 DOES WORK when computer booted in SAFE MODE 5) Display 2 DOES WORK when I remove the NVidia Adapter from the Device Manager. - As soon as I re-installed the adapter display 2 would not work on its own again. I would like to be able to connect to my HDMI Vizio TV without having to Extend or Duplicate the other monitor. But this is the only way it seems to work. Tried: 1) BIOS Update (now latest version) 2) Video Adapter Driver Updates and later versions (now latest version) 3) Tried Display 2 connections of Hdmi to Hdmi and DVI to HDMI 4) Tried Display 2 connection without a second (ACER) monitor attached at all. 6) Tried various Mhz settings for Display 2 7) Have an older PC with an older video adapter and have no problems with the monitors including displaying the computer on monitor 2 by itself. so I know its not the monitors or the cables. Most frustrating and disappointing. Any resolution seen yet to this on other threads or .....?
This seems to be the latest thread around black screen/no signal (is see 'resolution not supported' sometimes too) showing on monitor so I'd like to enquire as well. Although based on the number of different threads with this issue I'm quite concerned that I bought this video card now as my connection to the HDMI TV seems to be virtually useless.

First though some information on my setup(s):

NEW Computer:
MOBO: MSI x99s gaming 7
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930k
BIOS: H.AO (latest version)
Video Adapter Card: Nividia GEFORICE GTX 960 (driver 59.06 latest)
RAM: 16 Gig
HDD: SSD 256 Gig
Display 1: old display - Acer AL2616W connected to video adapter via DVI port (set to main monitor)
Display 2: fairly new - Vizio HD TV M422i-B1 connective via DVI port to HDMI (tried HDMI to HDMI too)

Problem Observations:
1) Display 1 works in native (1920 x 1200) (i.e. Screen Only to this device)
2) Display 1 & 2 works (i.e. both for Extended and Duplicate Screen mode)
- When both in 1920 X 1080 and when Display 1 is native (1920 x 1200) and Display 2 is native (1920 x 1080).
- Did find Display 2 showing the ERROR no signal, or 'resolution not supported' as well.
*** I was able to fix by going in to the display adapter properties and ensuring the
MHZ was set to 60. sometimes it would go to 120MHZ. when set back to 60 then
boom the error would go away and the display would work.
3) Display 2 DOES NOT Work (1920 x 1080) ( i.e. When it is set to SCREEN ONLY to this device)
- message on monitor comes up with either 'no signal' or 'resolution not supported'
- 'resolution not supported' seemed to come up when it tries to use the native resolution
of display 1 and/or MHZ isn't set to 60. But when it's the only monitor I can't get in
to change it (nor should I have to).
4) Display 2 DOES WORK when computer booted in SAFE MODE
5) Display 2 DOES WORK when I remove the NVidia Adapter from the Device Manager.
- As soon as I re-installed the adapter display 2 would not work on its own again.

I would like to be able to connect to my HDMI Vizio TV without having to Extend or Duplicate the other monitor. But this is the only way it seems to work.

Tried:
1) BIOS Update (now latest version)
2) Video Adapter Driver Updates and later versions (now latest version)
3) Tried Display 2 connections of Hdmi to Hdmi and DVI to HDMI
4) Tried Display 2 connection without a second (ACER) monitor attached at all.
6) Tried various Mhz settings for Display 2
7) Have an older PC with an older video adapter and have no problems with the monitors including displaying the computer on monitor 2 by itself. so I know its not the monitors or the cables.

Most frustrating and disappointing. Any resolution seen yet to this on other threads or .....?

Posted 12/02/2015 03:38 AM   
I know it's been a long time since anybody posted here, but I have a simular issue. My setup (might come in handy): -Asus Z170-A motherboard -MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X -i5 6600k -HyperX Fury 16GB RAM -Samsung M.2 SSD 256GB + Samsung 1TB HDD -CORSAIR RM750x The GPU isn't working as intended.. It shows me my screen in 800x600 resolution, which is normal without drivers.. But from the moment I instal my drivers.. My screen goes black, stating no signal detected.. My onboard graphics work fine, working on them now. I tried several things. [list] [.]Reinstal GPU drivers[/.] [.]use DDU tool to completely remove de display drivers, reboot, use ccleaner to clean registery, reboot and reinstal drivers[/.] [.]reinstal windows 10 (I go back to having no drivers and the problem reoccurs)[/.] [.]set the PCIe in tbios to GEN3[/.] [.]Set GPU as main driver in bios[/.] [.]dissable the onboard drivers (needed to reinstal windows because I couldn't get a screen anymore)[/.] [.]removed a RAM so only 1 is present[/.] [.]remove all cords from pc and hold power button for aprox 1min[/.] [.]downloaded the hotkey resolution changer, no effect on the no signal display[/.] [.]and several I might have forgotten[/.] [/list] Also tried to disable the secure boot, but I can't edit it in bios, it is grayed out.. My next step will be installing windows 8.1 or 7 to see if it works Another cause might be that my power supply isn't sufficient? (just brain storming here) The problem is, I can't just pull out my GPU.. I'd have to drain my loop and gone's a weeks of work Picture time: [url]http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=183613&d=1474919644[/url] Also, in my bios the gpu keeps working (on 800x600), it's not until windows should be loading that it stops working.. Cables and monitors are tested on my other rig. Dammit xD I wanna play on my new pc xD Hope anybody knows a solution :D Cheers!
I know it's been a long time since anybody posted here, but I have a simular issue.

My setup (might come in handy):
-Asus Z170-A motherboard
-MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X
-i5 6600k
-HyperX Fury 16GB RAM
-Samsung M.2 SSD 256GB + Samsung 1TB HDD
-CORSAIR RM750x

The GPU isn't working as intended.. It shows me my screen in 800x600 resolution, which is normal without drivers.. But from the moment I instal my drivers.. My screen goes black, stating no signal detected.. My onboard graphics work fine, working on them now.

I tried several things.
  • Reinstal GPU drivers
  • use DDU tool to completely remove de display drivers, reboot, use ccleaner to clean registery, reboot and reinstal drivers
  • reinstal windows 10 (I go back to having no drivers and the problem reoccurs)
  • set the PCIe in tbios to GEN3
  • Set GPU as main driver in bios
  • dissable the onboard drivers (needed to reinstal windows because I couldn't get a screen anymore)
  • removed a RAM so only 1 is present
  • remove all cords from pc and hold power button for aprox 1min
  • downloaded the hotkey resolution changer, no effect on the no signal display
  • and several I might have forgotten

Also tried to disable the secure boot, but I can't edit it in bios, it is grayed out..
My next step will be installing windows 8.1 or 7 to see if it works
Another cause might be that my power supply isn't sufficient? (just brain storming here)
The problem is, I can't just pull out my GPU.. I'd have to drain my loop and gone's a weeks of work

Picture time: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=183613&d=1474919644

Also, in my bios the gpu keeps working (on 800x600), it's not until windows should be loading that it stops working..
Cables and monitors are tested on my other rig.

Dammit xD I wanna play on my new pc xD

Hope anybody knows a solution :D

Cheers!

Posted 09/27/2016 09:33 AM   
[color="orange"][b]Ok guys, tried an older card, works fine. I've returned the gtx 1080, pretty sure this is just a defective card out of the box. (Five PC stores agree with me)[/b][/color]
Ok guys, tried an older card, works fine. I've returned the gtx 1080, pretty sure this is just a defective card out of the box. (Five PC stores agree with me)

Posted 09/29/2016 06:41 PM   
hi, When I bought my SLI of GTX 1080 and a new WQHD monitor IIYAMA GB2783QSU, I used a Displayport 1.2 cable to have access to the max resolution at 70 Hz (with other cables ==> HDMI or DVI the max is 60 Hz). But after more or less all cold reboots I had a black screen after UEFI screen and a very short windows loading screen. Sometimes it worked but most of the time it was all black after the UEFI and windows loading screen. But behind this black screen all was working fine. The screen received a signal but wasn't able to display it (I think it was when my display change the refresh rate from 60 to 70 Hz but i'm not sure) For information my GTX 1080 are MSI gaming x 8 Go installed on an Asus motherboard Z170 Pro Gaming. HERE IS A FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME :-) -Disable the Fast Boot option in your motherboard UEFI -Disable the Hibernate mode in win 10==> right click on start button, choose command prompt (Admin) and type the following command: powercfg.exe /hibernate off -disable the Fast Boot option in Windows 10 (in the control panel - Power Options - Choose what the power button do on the left- Uncheck "Turn on fast startup" ) After all of this, reboot your pc and no more black screen with Displayport If it doesn't work you can set all of this to old values without problem. For Hibernate mode just replace "off" by "on" I hope this will help somebody !
hi,

When I bought my SLI of GTX 1080 and a new WQHD monitor IIYAMA GB2783QSU, I used a Displayport 1.2 cable to have access to the max resolution at 70 Hz (with other cables ==> HDMI or DVI the max is 60 Hz). But after more or less all cold reboots I had a black screen after UEFI screen and a very short windows loading screen. Sometimes it worked but most of the time it was all black after the UEFI and windows loading screen. But behind this black screen all was working fine. The screen received a signal but wasn't able to display it (I think it was when my display change the refresh rate from 60 to 70 Hz but i'm not sure)

For information my GTX 1080 are MSI gaming x 8 Go installed on an Asus motherboard Z170 Pro Gaming.

HERE IS A FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME :-)

-Disable the Fast Boot option in your motherboard UEFI

-Disable the Hibernate mode in win 10==> right click on start button, choose command prompt (Admin) and type the following command:

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

-disable the Fast Boot option in Windows 10 (in the control panel - Power Options - Choose what the power button do on the left- Uncheck "Turn on fast startup" )

After all of this, reboot your pc and no more black screen with Displayport

If it doesn't work you can set all of this to old values without problem. For Hibernate mode just replace "off" by "on"

I hope this will help somebody !

Posted 02/03/2017 10:08 AM   
I'm gonna go ahead and revive the thread again, I also have an Asus rampage iv gene and msi gaming x gtx 1070. here is a details of the problem. I have been having this issue for a while now. perhaps 2 or 3 weeks but didn't think much of it until it started to happen in critical times of me using the pc. basically while I'm using the computer, doesn't matter if I'm gaming or light load. at random times both monitors lose signal from the pc and go into standby, I try re plugging them but nothing happens. at 1st I thought it was because my system is overclocked and so I reverted back to stock. and behold it happened again on stock speed. then I thought perhaps it's windows 10. so re-installed windows 7 and still the problem happened again. I stressed my system both GPU and CPU with furmark and prime95 for 1 hour and the problem didn't occur. my temps are fine and for both cpu and GPU never go above 70c. ( have msi afterburner and hwmonitor showing temps all the time on the 2nd monitor. I really don't know what to do at this point, I've tried everything including stress testing RAM with custom prime95. that didn't reproduce the problem either. from the reading I do online I can see that it's either a bad GPU or a bad PSU. my GPU is new and only few months old still under warranty but it didn't have this issue when I bought it. here are my specs: - ASUS Rampage IV Gene LGA 2011 Intel X79 motherboard. - Intel i7-4820K 3.70 GHz 10MB Cache (overclocked to 4.4GHz). - MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB - Samsung S24D590L 1080p monitor. - LG Flatron E1910 - Crucial 128 GB SSD for windows and programs. - 4TB hard disk( WD Black 4 TB (7200RPM ). - 16GB Ram 4x Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 4Gb 1600mhz. - Corsair Hydro series H100i CPU cooler. - Corsair Obsidian Series 350D Micro ATX Computer Case. - Seasonic PLATINUM-1000 ATX 1000 Power Supply any help is appreciated it.
I'm gonna go ahead and revive the thread again, I also have an Asus rampage iv gene and msi gaming x gtx 1070.
here is a details of the problem.
I have been having this issue for a while now. perhaps 2 or 3 weeks but didn't think much of it until it started to happen in critical times of me using the pc.
basically while I'm using the computer, doesn't matter if I'm gaming or light load. at random times both monitors lose signal from the pc and go into standby, I try re plugging them but nothing happens.
at 1st I thought it was because my system is overclocked and so I reverted back to stock. and behold it happened again on stock speed.
then I thought perhaps it's windows 10. so re-installed windows 7 and still the problem happened again.
I stressed my system both GPU and CPU with furmark and prime95 for 1 hour and the problem didn't occur.
my temps are fine and for both cpu and GPU never go above 70c. ( have msi afterburner and hwmonitor showing temps all the time on the 2nd monitor.

I really don't know what to do at this point, I've tried everything including stress testing RAM with custom prime95. that didn't reproduce the problem either.

from the reading I do online I can see that it's either a bad GPU or a bad PSU. my GPU is new and only few months old still under warranty but it didn't have this issue when I bought it.

here are my specs:
- ASUS Rampage IV Gene LGA 2011 Intel X79 motherboard.
- Intel i7-4820K 3.70 GHz 10MB Cache (overclocked to 4.4GHz).
- MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB
- Samsung S24D590L 1080p monitor.
- LG Flatron E1910
- Crucial 128 GB SSD for windows and programs.
- 4TB hard disk( WD Black 4 TB (7200RPM ).
- 16GB Ram 4x Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 4Gb 1600mhz.
- Corsair Hydro series H100i CPU cooler.
- Corsair Obsidian Series 350D Micro ATX Computer Case.
- Seasonic PLATINUM-1000 ATX 1000 Power Supply
any help is appreciated it.

Posted 06/16/2017 06:45 PM   
Happened to me today. My 980TI's fans suddenly went crazy (really loud) during gameplay followed by a black screen. After I restart, it doesn't even show BIOS screen, nothing. The card's lights even turn off (but the fans still work). Now I switched back to my old 770 GTX and it works... when I uninstall my driver. As soon as I install a driver (yes I installed the oldest compatible drivers even and it still won't work), the screen freezes, but I can still hear sounds (from let's say youtube videos or my mp3 player). I am at a loss. I already ordered a new card now, a 1080GTX TI, but fear that it might encounter the same issue. I also tried two monitors by the way, it happens to both. I can only use this computer now without video-drivers and it sucks. I just hope that it's my 770 which is quite old and worn out and that the new card won't make any issues. Really would appreciate some help. I already tried the "take out power cords and hold power button for 1 minute". I ordered a new battery for my motherboard too. Please, for the love of god, somebody tell me what the issue could be. Information about my rig: i7 4ghz p6T Deluxe V2 motherboard DDR3 ram 32gb 1600 hz PSU 700w (Sharkoon) SSD harddrive 1 terrabyte
Happened to me today. My 980TI's fans suddenly went crazy (really loud) during gameplay followed by a black screen. After I restart, it doesn't even show BIOS screen, nothing. The card's lights even turn off (but the fans still work).

Now I switched back to my old 770 GTX and it works... when I uninstall my driver.

As soon as I install a driver (yes I installed the oldest compatible drivers even and it still won't work), the screen freezes, but I can still hear sounds (from let's say youtube videos or my mp3 player).

I am at a loss. I already ordered a new card now, a 1080GTX TI, but fear that it might encounter the same issue.

I also tried two monitors by the way, it happens to both. I can only use this computer now without video-drivers and it sucks. I just hope that it's my 770 which is quite old and worn out and that the new card won't make any issues.

Really would appreciate some help. I already tried the "take out power cords and hold power button for 1 minute".

I ordered a new battery for my motherboard too. Please, for the love of god, somebody tell me what the issue could be.

Information about my rig:

i7 4ghz
p6T Deluxe V2 motherboard
DDR3 ram 32gb 1600 hz
PSU 700w (Sharkoon)
SSD harddrive 1 terrabyte

Posted 06/26/2017 09:22 AM   
Fixed it by purchasing a new card. What a coincidence, my guarantee just ran out one month ago and the card is broken....
Fixed it by purchasing a new card.

What a coincidence, my guarantee just ran out one month ago and the card is broken....

Posted 06/27/2017 10:52 AM   
I knew getting on these forums was a good idea - I too am having the problem, and it didn't seem to have started until after I started using a 4k monitor. The problem occurred the very first time, perhaps a month ago, maybe a little longer, when I ran the PC game by Ubi-Soft "Far Cry 4". Since then, it has occasionally been happening when I run a game - I suspect it has something to do with the resolution changing. My card is 970 by MSI and I connect by an HDMI cable. I'll be trying some of the work-arounds, as I sure didn't find any when I encountered the problem. I'll be editing my reply once I know if any of them work or not.
I knew getting on these forums was a good idea - I too am having the problem, and it didn't seem to have started until after I started using a 4k monitor.

The problem occurred the very first time, perhaps a month ago, maybe a little longer, when I ran the PC game by Ubi-Soft "Far Cry 4".

Since then, it has occasionally been happening when I run a game - I suspect it has something to do with the resolution changing.

My card is 970 by MSI and I connect by an HDMI cable.

I'll be trying some of the work-arounds, as I sure didn't find any when I encountered the problem.
I'll be editing my reply once I know if any of them work or not.

Posted 06/28/2017 03:22 PM   
[quote="TomTomTom123"]Hey there, I found a way around those crashes but it sounds ridiculous so bear with me here. My glorious GTX970 does that only once per power cycle. It doesn't matter what resolution/refresh rate is on, nor what BIOS features were disabled. This is how I get around this issue: 1. Start the PC 2. Launch a VERY demanding game. I use Crysis 3 at Ultra preset (4k resolution) 3. Wait for the black screen (this is the time I go get some tea, happens within 2-3 minutes) 4. Once you get the black screen, shut the PC down by holding your power button for 5 seconds, don't touch any power cables and switches (this is the key, power must be on all this time) 5. Start the PC with the power button as if nothing happened 6. Profit, enjoy your stable system. Black screen will never happen again until you shut down your PC. Then the process repeats. I was doing this for last 3-4 months and I am so used to this I tend to forget my card is completely f**ked and will be the last product from both Nvidia and Gigabyte in my environment. Card is running at 1470mhz core and 8000mhz memory right now, power limit 112% and game load temperatures peak at 80 degrees with 5 120mm case fans. I had the card sent for RMA three times and always came back working like this. Freshly solded components made it a killer overclocker though. Back to the point, it has to be a power issue. I have no logical explanation why this kind of "power button" reset helps. It has something to do with card launching from pre-powered system but the electronic wizardry happening inside this thing is beyond my understanding.[/quote] This is exactly my situation.
TomTomTom123 said:Hey there,

I found a way around those crashes but it sounds ridiculous so bear with me here.

My glorious GTX970 does that only once per power cycle. It doesn't matter what resolution/refresh rate is on, nor what BIOS features were disabled. This is how I get around this issue:

1. Start the PC
2. Launch a VERY demanding game. I use Crysis 3 at Ultra preset (4k resolution)
3. Wait for the black screen (this is the time I go get some tea, happens within 2-3 minutes)
4. Once you get the black screen, shut the PC down by holding your power button for 5 seconds, don't touch any power cables and switches (this is the key, power must be on all this time)
5. Start the PC with the power button as if nothing happened
6. Profit, enjoy your stable system. Black screen will never happen again until you shut down your PC. Then the process repeats.

I was doing this for last 3-4 months and I am so used to this I tend to forget my card is completely f**ked and will be the last product from both Nvidia and Gigabyte in my environment.

Card is running at 1470mhz core and 8000mhz memory right now, power limit 112% and game load temperatures peak at 80 degrees with 5 120mm case fans. I had the card sent for RMA three times and always came back working like this. Freshly solded components made it a killer overclocker though.

Back to the point, it has to be a power issue. I have no logical explanation why this kind of "power button" reset helps. It has something to do with card launching from pre-powered system but the electronic wizardry happening inside this thing is beyond my understanding.

This is exactly my situation.

Posted 06/28/2017 03:30 PM   
Reviving old thread i know ;p so here's the thing: i start my pc and the resolution on my monitor goes down to 800x600. i'm running an MSI gtx1080 gaming x which mu computer recognizes on the devices menu. ca't change resolutions via normal menus because it simply doesnt show any to choose from, even on nvidia control panel. dont know what's happening but by desabling the gpu on the device manager and then re-enabling it, res comes up to normal and all options go back to normal. as far as i can tell this only happens with DP regardless of port. port on the monitor is good because my old 780ti was plugged in just fine. used a dvi cable for a while with no issues until the cable died cus it was a bad quality cable. hdmi hadn't tested. normal res is 1080p. dunno if it's a card issue or bad optimisation or power shortage as someone mentioned here. it's a bother but for me it's a fix that works. hope it helps someone else
Reviving old thread i know ;p

so here's the thing: i start my pc and the resolution on my monitor goes down to 800x600.
i'm running an MSI gtx1080 gaming x which mu computer recognizes on the devices menu. ca't change resolutions via normal menus because it simply doesnt show any to choose from, even on nvidia control panel. dont know what's happening but by desabling the gpu on the device manager and then re-enabling it, res comes up to normal and all options go back to normal. as far as i can tell this only happens with DP regardless of port. port on the monitor is good because my old 780ti was plugged in just fine. used a dvi cable for a while with no issues until the cable died cus it was a bad quality cable. hdmi hadn't tested.
normal res is 1080p. dunno if it's a card issue or bad optimisation or power shortage as someone mentioned here.
it's a bother but for me it's a fix that works. hope it helps someone else

Posted 07/08/2017 03:26 PM   
I have Windows 10 and after the Creators update, my second monitor wouldn't work. I went through all of the suggestions, making sure my drivers were up-to-date to no avail. I don't know if this works for all, but I rolled back my drivers to 352.63-quadro-grid-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international-beta.exe and it works beautifully. nVidia should really look into this...something has changed for the worse.
I have Windows 10 and after the Creators update, my second monitor wouldn't work. I went through all of the suggestions, making sure my drivers were up-to-date to no avail. I don't know if this works for all, but I rolled back my drivers to 352.63-quadro-grid-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international-beta.exe and it works beautifully. nVidia should really look into this...something has changed for the worse.

Posted 07/10/2017 11:48 AM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top