For all people with black screens/no signal issues
  3 / 3    
[quote="koyuki44"]hi, When I bought my SLI of GTX 1080 and a new WQHD monitor IIYAMA GB2783QSU, I used a Displayport 1.2 cable to have access to the max resolution at 70 Hz (with other cables ==> HDMI or DVI the max is 60 Hz). But after more or less all cold reboots I had a black screen after UEFI screen and a very short windows loading screen. Sometimes it worked but most of the time it was all black after the UEFI and windows loading screen. But behind this black screen all was working fine. The screen received a signal but wasn't able to display it (I think it was when my display change the refresh rate from 60 to 70 Hz but i'm not sure) For information my GTX 1080 are MSI gaming x 8 Go installed on an Asus motherboard Z170 Pro Gaming. HERE IS A FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME :-) -Disable the Fast Boot option in your motherboard UEFI -Disable the Hibernate mode in win 10==> right click on start button, choose command prompt (Admin) and type the following command: powercfg.exe /hibernate off -disable the Fast Boot option in Windows 10 (in the control panel - Power Options - Choose what the power button do on the left- Uncheck "Turn on fast startup" ) After all of this, reboot your pc and no more black screen with Displayport If it doesn't work you can set all of this to old values without problem. For Hibernate mode just replace "off" by "on" I hope this will help somebody ! [/quote] This solution solved my problem. Thanks for sharing. I have GTX 1060 6gb and the problem occurs only when I play games, sometimes after few minutes and sometimes after several hours of gaming. At first the problem happened when I play VR game on my HTC Vive, but yesterday the problem started to occur during a normal PC game (in my case Quantum Break), it has nothing to do with my monitor nor the cables, because it shuts off also my Vive headset, and I changed the cable of the monitor from HDMI to DVI. Anyway, does this mean my Card is faulty and I better replace it with a new one? Becaue it is only 2 months old. Will this get rid of the problem if I replace my card and undo the steps above? Or this problem will continue on this particular card? Oh by the way, the steps must be under the following orders: 1- Disable the Fast Boot option in your motherboard UEFI (from BIOS) 2- disable the Fast Boot option in Windows 10 (in the control panel - Power Options - click on "Choose what the power button do" on the left - Uncheck "Turn on fast startup" ) 3- Disable the Hibernate mode in win 10==> right click on start button, choose "command prompt (Admin)" [Or "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"] and type the following: powercfg.exe /hibernate off EDIT: The problem came back. So this is not a permanent fix. Is it a faulty Card which means if I have it replaced I could get a working one with no issues or is this happening to all GTX series?
koyuki44 said:hi,

When I bought my SLI of GTX 1080 and a new WQHD monitor IIYAMA GB2783QSU, I used a Displayport 1.2 cable to have access to the max resolution at 70 Hz (with other cables ==> HDMI or DVI the max is 60 Hz). But after more or less all cold reboots I had a black screen after UEFI screen and a very short windows loading screen. Sometimes it worked but most of the time it was all black after the UEFI and windows loading screen. But behind this black screen all was working fine. The screen received a signal but wasn't able to display it (I think it was when my display change the refresh rate from 60 to 70 Hz but i'm not sure)

For information my GTX 1080 are MSI gaming x 8 Go installed on an Asus motherboard Z170 Pro Gaming.

HERE IS A FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME :-)

-Disable the Fast Boot option in your motherboard UEFI

-Disable the Hibernate mode in win 10==> right click on start button, choose command prompt (Admin) and type the following command:

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

-disable the Fast Boot option in Windows 10 (in the control panel - Power Options - Choose what the power button do on the left- Uncheck "Turn on fast startup" )

After all of this, reboot your pc and no more black screen with Displayport

If it doesn't work you can set all of this to old values without problem. For Hibernate mode just replace "off" by "on"

I hope this will help somebody !

This solution solved my problem. Thanks for sharing.
I have GTX 1060 6gb and the problem occurs only when I play games, sometimes after few minutes and sometimes after several hours of gaming. At first the problem happened when I play VR game on my HTC Vive, but yesterday the problem started to occur during a normal PC game (in my case Quantum Break), it has nothing to do with my monitor nor the cables, because it shuts off also my Vive headset, and I changed the cable of the monitor from HDMI to DVI.

Anyway, does this mean my Card is faulty and I better replace it with a new one? Becaue it is only 2 months old. Will this get rid of the problem if I replace my card and undo the steps above? Or this problem will continue on this particular card?

Oh by the way, the steps must be under the following orders:

1- Disable the Fast Boot option in your motherboard UEFI (from BIOS)
2- disable the Fast Boot option in Windows 10 (in the control panel - Power Options - click on "Choose what the power button do" on the left - Uncheck "Turn on fast startup" )
3- Disable the Hibernate mode in win 10==> right click on start button, choose "command prompt (Admin)" [Or "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"] and type the following: powercfg.exe /hibernate off

EDIT:
The problem came back. So this is not a permanent fix. Is it a faulty Card which means if I have it replaced I could get a working one with no issues or is this happening to all GTX series?

Posted 10/16/2017 11:44 PM   
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue as well. I have a HTPC with a Asus Rampage IV Gene and EVGA GTX 1080.. While watching TV (Using Windows Media Center) the screen just goes black at random times. Over the past 2 months I have been fighting random reboots and Kernel Power Error's in Event Viewer. I have replaced almost every component in the PC.. TV Tuner, RAM, PSU, GFX Card... And recently I tried to replace the Mainboard.. (It came in DOA though) What's odd is that the PC will work well for days.. then randomly reboot or crash or the display will just go black and loose output signal. I can tell it looses signal output because the screen saver from my AVR displays on the screen. I can hit the reset button on the front of the PC and get it to reboot and then the display comes back on. So is it a consensus that this issue is Driver related.. It started for me about 2 months ago.. What was changed in the drivers since then? Anyone else have success rolling back to much older driver builds? I just updated tonight to Version 388.00 Lets hope this is the end of this.. I can't afford to keep replacing PC parts troubleshooting what now seems to be possibly driver related... Ugh.. newfiend~
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue as well.
I have a HTPC with a Asus Rampage IV Gene and EVGA GTX 1080..
While watching TV (Using Windows Media Center) the screen just goes black at random times.
Over the past 2 months I have been fighting random reboots and Kernel Power Error's in Event Viewer.
I have replaced almost every component in the PC..
TV Tuner, RAM, PSU, GFX Card... And recently I tried to replace the Mainboard.. (It came in DOA though)
What's odd is that the PC will work well for days.. then randomly reboot or crash or the display will just go black and loose output signal. I can tell it looses signal output because the screen saver from my AVR displays on the screen. I can hit the reset button on the front of the PC and get it to reboot and then the display comes back on.

So is it a consensus that this issue is Driver related.. It started for me about 2 months ago.. What was changed in the drivers since then?
Anyone else have success rolling back to much older driver builds?
I just updated tonight to Version 388.00
Lets hope this is the end of this.. I can't afford to keep replacing PC parts troubleshooting what now seems to be possibly driver related... Ugh..
newfiend~

Posted 10/24/2017 12:30 AM   
the only consensus is that it happens for people nobody has done any system level comparisons to identify reasons and im not about to start in this thread.
the only consensus is that it happens for people

nobody has done any system level comparisons to identify reasons and im not about to start in this thread.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 10/24/2017 01:38 AM   
I have recently purchased a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming and having this exact issue. I am playing old school runescape, league of legends, destiny 2 and after a period of time (usually 1 hour + but it has happened once or twice within 10 minutes) my screen will go black and then in the bottom right corner "no signal detected" and screen power button will go orange. I can still speak to my friends via ts3/skype/discord and hear game sounds too. It has only happened once while I was streaming a video. Uninstalled nvidia drivers (DDU while in safe mode), restarted and reinstalled them. Checked windows update to make sure everything was up-to-date. (it was) Stress tested my gfx with Furmark. (passed) Stress tested CPU with Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Ultility. (Passed) Tested RAM with Memtest86 (8 passes one time) with no errors and 2 days after I did this again (with 10 passes this time) and no errors again. Re slotted RAM and GFX, removed and reinserted wiring and removed all the dust I could. The one thing that caused a crash + made my screen go black for a couple of seconds and come back on was when I did a memory stress test using Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Ultility. No idea why or what is causing it but this was the only test which caused and partially recreated this "No signal black monitor error". I tested for 5 minutes and almost every time it has black screened at least once (usually multiple times). I uninstalled my nvidia drivers again (using DDU in safe mode), restarted in normal mode, and did the memory stress test again using Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Ultility. This time for 1 hour. NO crashes, NO black screening. I installed the earliest available drivers for the gtx 1080 and I haven't had this black screening monitor problem since. Its been almost 2 days and I have been on my pc gaming just as much as usual... if not more as I have purchased and been playing Destiny 2 none stop. Whether it be a driver issue or the drivers causing an underlying issue to show itself - I don't know but getting the "GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 376.19 December 5, 2016" drivers have worked (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx). If my situation changes and the issue reappears I will post on here. EDIT: Black screening has returned... was a good two days while it lasted. EDIT: I have changed a bios option to "X.M.P" as it stated to optimize settings for the RAM so I thought I would give that a shot but that also hasn't sorted my issue.
I have recently purchased a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming and having this exact issue. I am playing old school runescape, league of legends, destiny 2 and after a period of time (usually 1 hour + but it has happened once or twice within 10 minutes) my screen will go black and then in the bottom right corner "no signal detected" and screen power button will go orange. I can still speak to my friends via ts3/skype/discord and hear game sounds too. It has only happened once while I was streaming a video.

Uninstalled nvidia drivers (DDU while in safe mode), restarted and reinstalled them.
Checked windows update to make sure everything was up-to-date. (it was)
Stress tested my gfx with Furmark. (passed)
Stress tested CPU with Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Ultility. (Passed)
Tested RAM with Memtest86 (8 passes one time) with no errors and 2 days after I did this again (with 10 passes this time) and no errors again.
Re slotted RAM and GFX, removed and reinserted wiring and removed all the dust I could.

The one thing that caused a crash + made my screen go black for a couple of seconds and come back on was when I did a memory stress test using Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Ultility. No idea why or what is causing it but this was the only test which caused and partially recreated this "No signal black monitor error". I tested for 5 minutes and almost every time it has black screened at least once (usually multiple times).

I uninstalled my nvidia drivers again (using DDU in safe mode), restarted in normal mode, and did the memory stress test again using Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Ultility. This time for 1 hour. NO crashes, NO black screening.

I installed the earliest available drivers for the gtx 1080 and I haven't had this black screening monitor problem since.

Its been almost 2 days and I have been on my pc gaming just as much as usual... if not more as I have purchased and been playing Destiny 2 none stop.

Whether it be a driver issue or the drivers causing an underlying issue to show itself - I don't know but getting the "GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 376.19 December 5, 2016" drivers have worked (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx). If my situation changes and the issue reappears I will post on here.

EDIT: Black screening has returned... was a good two days while it lasted.

EDIT: I have changed a bios option to "X.M.P" as it stated to optimize settings for the RAM so I thought I would give that a shot but that also hasn't sorted my issue.

Posted 11/01/2017 04:32 PM   
memory operating out of spec is a known cause of the windows TDR system kicking in, usually it isn't so readily reproducible. If you haven't already, publish speccy output and pm the link.
memory operating out of spec is a known cause of the windows TDR system kicking in, usually it isn't so readily reproducible.

If you haven't already, publish speccy output and pm the link.

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP

Posted 11/02/2017 01:57 AM   
The only drivers seems to work with me are the 382.33 .Everything else keeps to turn the tv monitor black eventually. 1060 6 GB STRIX
The only drivers seems to work with me are the 382.33 .Everything else keeps to turn the tv monitor black eventually. 1060 6 GB STRIX

Posted 11/18/2017 06:50 PM   
I've got a weirdly repeatable version of the blackscreen / no signal crash in Windows 10. The crash appears to be unrecoverable (Ctrl+Shift+Win+B does nothing) so my only fix has been to restart using the power button. The crash manifests as a sudden black screen followed by both monitors showing no input. Windows and any programs I had running appear to be intact, as I can still hear the game running and Alt+Tab, etc. I've only had it happen when I'm playing one of two games: [list] [.]Grim Dawn: 100% repeatability. Happens after 2-3 minutes of gameplay at the start of the campaign.[/.] [.]Destiny 2: 100% repeatability [i]only during a specific activity.[/i] Only happens in the Inverted Spire strike on the Cabal drill checkpoint (see link at the bottom). Going by YouTube videos there is nothing remarkable going on that makes me think the system is suddenly being overstressed at this point.[/.] [/list] My specs are as follows: CPU: i5-4690 GPU: EVGA GTX 960 OC (purchased May 2015; current driver 388.31) RAM: 16 GB PSU: Corsair 650TX 650W (circa 2010) Storage: 500 GB M.2 SSD, 4 TB HDD Monitors: BenQ XL2720 @144Hz, 1080p + ASUS VH236H @60Hz, 1080p (both via DVI cables) OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Fixes I've tried, without success: [list] [.]Change TDR delay to 10 seconds with regedit[/.] [.]Various nvlddmkm.sys fixes from any forum I could find[/.] [.]Unplug ASUS monitor[/.] [.]Reinstall Windows 10[/.] [.]Disable "Fast Boot" in Windows power options + BIOS[/.] [.]Clean GPU driver install using DDU + Safe Mode[/.] [.]Downgrade GPU driver (oldest version tested: 384.76)[/.] [.]Underclock GPU[/.] [.]Reseat GPU into the other slot[/.] [.]Repair Destiny 2 installation[/.] [.]Reduce graphics settings, change to fullscreen[/.] [.]edit: memtest, disk check, etc. all appear clean[/.] [/list] As far as I can tell from my research it is either a Windows 10/driver issue or a GPU/PSU issue. I'm not knowledgeable enough about this kind of thing to really know what the specific repeatability of this issue means. I don't have another GPU or PSU I can try to test whether this might be a hardware issue. For context, my main game is World of Warcraft, which I run with all settings on Ultra except shadow quality. I have never had this issue with WoW despite playing it on this 970 card since 2015. I don't want to RMA the card (I think EVGA has a lifetime warranty?) with a new WoW raid launching this week. Any thoughts or additional things I should look into before I go for the nuclear option and buy a new card? Here is a shortened YouTube link to the Destiny 2 gameplay which causes the error, timestamped roughly where I would crash: [url=https://goo.gl/GqMkkQ]Link[/url]
I've got a weirdly repeatable version of the blackscreen / no signal crash in Windows 10. The crash appears to be unrecoverable (Ctrl+Shift+Win+B does nothing) so my only fix has been to restart using the power button. The crash manifests as a sudden black screen followed by both monitors showing no input. Windows and any programs I had running appear to be intact, as I can still hear the game running and Alt+Tab, etc.
I've only had it happen when I'm playing one of two games:
  • Grim Dawn: 100% repeatability. Happens after 2-3 minutes of gameplay at the start of the campaign.
  • Destiny 2: 100% repeatability only during a specific activity. Only happens in the Inverted Spire strike on the Cabal drill checkpoint (see link at the bottom). Going by YouTube videos there is nothing remarkable going on that makes me think the system is suddenly being overstressed at this point.

My specs are as follows:
CPU: i5-4690
GPU: EVGA GTX 960 OC (purchased May 2015; current driver 388.31)
RAM: 16 GB
PSU: Corsair 650TX 650W (circa 2010)
Storage: 500 GB M.2 SSD, 4 TB HDD
Monitors: BenQ XL2720 @144Hz, 1080p + ASUS VH236H @60Hz, 1080p (both via DVI cables)

Fixes I've tried, without success:
  • Change TDR delay to 10 seconds with regedit
  • Various nvlddmkm.sys fixes from any forum I could find
  • Unplug ASUS monitor
  • Reinstall Windows 10
  • Disable "Fast Boot" in Windows power options + BIOS
  • Clean GPU driver install using DDU + Safe Mode
  • Downgrade GPU driver (oldest version tested: 384.76)
  • Underclock GPU
  • Reseat GPU into the other slot
  • Repair Destiny 2 installation
  • Reduce graphics settings, change to fullscreen
  • edit: memtest, disk check, etc. all appear clean

As far as I can tell from my research it is either a Windows 10/driver issue or a GPU/PSU issue. I'm not knowledgeable enough about this kind of thing to really know what the specific repeatability of this issue means. I don't have another GPU or PSU I can try to test whether this might be a hardware issue. For context, my main game is World of Warcraft, which I run with all settings on Ultra except shadow quality. I have never had this issue with WoW despite playing it on this 970 card since 2015. I don't want to RMA the card (I think EVGA has a lifetime warranty?) with a new WoW raid launching this week. Any thoughts or additional things I should look into before I go for the nuclear option and buy a new card?

Here is a shortened YouTube link to the Destiny 2 gameplay which causes the error, timestamped roughly where I would crash: Link

Posted 11/25/2017 05:18 PM   
Like others, same issues. It’s wonky. Basically, if I start a game that is GPU intensive, like PUBG, it black screens after 50 seconds or so. Fan spins wildly. Only option is to hold down power button and restart. Then, all is fine (usually, there are rare occasions where it happens 2-3 times by in a row, even after restart). I tried reinstalling nvidia drivers, updating to latest, reseating the GPU. What’s up? This is silly, any word from anywhere? I have i7-7700k ASUS ROG Strix 1080ti ASUS gaming motherboard Any help appreciated.
Like others, same issues.

It’s wonky. Basically, if I start a game that is GPU intensive, like PUBG, it black screens after 50 seconds or so. Fan spins wildly. Only option is to hold down power button and restart. Then, all is fine (usually, there are rare occasions where it happens 2-3 times by in a row, even after restart). I tried reinstalling nvidia drivers, updating to latest, reseating the GPU. What’s up? This is silly, any word from anywhere?

I have i7-7700k
ASUS ROG Strix 1080ti
ASUS gaming motherboard

Any help appreciated.

Posted 11/28/2017 02:12 PM   
How about Nvidia simply fixes their shi.t? This is getting fuu.cking OLD.
How about Nvidia simply fixes their shi.t? This is getting fuu.cking OLD.

Posted 12/04/2017 11:46 AM   
Also has similar issue. Little difference - in refresh rate. In case if i use 60 Hz monitor works fine. But when i try to increase refresh rate to 75 Hz or more - monitor starts randomly blinking. Use 2 different Acer Predator X34 monitor's - both has same issue. SPECS: 4790K GTX980Ti Acer Predator X34 monitor.
Also has similar issue. Little difference - in refresh rate. In case if i use 60 Hz monitor works fine. But when i try to increase refresh rate to 75 Hz or more - monitor starts randomly blinking. Use 2 different Acer Predator X34 monitor's - both has same issue.
SPECS:
GTX980Ti
Acer Predator X34 monitor.

Posted 12/06/2017 10:23 AM   
[quote="poplujniy"]Also has similar issue. Little difference - in refresh rate. In case if i use 60 Hz monitor works fine. But when i try to increase refresh rate to 75 Hz or more - monitor starts randomly blinking. Use 2 different Acer Predator X34 monitor's - both has same issue. SPECS: 4790K GTX980Ti Acer Predator X34 monitor.[/quote] nothing to do with this issue. blinkin predators are a firmware issue
poplujniy said:Also has similar issue. Little difference - in refresh rate. In case if i use 60 Hz monitor works fine. But when i try to increase refresh rate to 75 Hz or more - monitor starts randomly blinking. Use 2 different Acer Predator X34 monitor's - both has same issue.
SPECS:
GTX980Ti
Acer Predator X34 monitor.

nothing to do with this issue.

blinkin predators are a firmware issue

Specs:

WIP:

Posted 12/06/2017 06:14 PM   
I'm attempting to diagnose a problem with my monitor. Not sure if this is the same as the issues described above. I have an ASUS ROG motherboard and an ASUS GTX 1080 Titanium graphics card. I recently changed from an older monitor to a new 4K monitor (ASUS), connected via displayport. Since I added the new monitor I've been experiencing the monitor going black and subsequently turning back on, and then receiving an error message saying display driver stopped working. There are lots of threads around on this topic, but there does not seem to be any definitive solution to the problem. Some say to tweak the registry, but my registry already appears to have the recommended entry. Some threads say the problem could be the GPU being too hot, but this happens even when the computer has only just been turned on. Some suggest that problem could be lack of sync between the monitor and the GPU (not sure how to test or fix that issue); and some suggest problem could be an issue with NVidia driver. I updated the driver just after I added the new monitor, so I'm not sure what to do about that. Any advice? What should I try? I thought ASUS website might have some relevant advice, but there doesn't seem to be anything there. Thanks Inez
I'm attempting to diagnose a problem with my monitor. Not sure if this is the same as the issues described above. I have an ASUS ROG motherboard and an ASUS GTX 1080 Titanium graphics card. I recently changed from an older monitor to a new 4K monitor (ASUS), connected via displayport. Since I added the new monitor I've been experiencing the monitor going black and subsequently turning back on, and then receiving an error message saying display driver stopped working.

There are lots of threads around on this topic, but there does not seem to be any definitive solution to the problem. Some say to tweak the registry, but my registry already appears to have the recommended entry. Some threads say the problem could be the GPU being too hot, but this happens even when the computer has only just been turned on. Some suggest that problem could be lack of sync between the monitor and the GPU (not sure how to test or fix that issue); and some suggest problem could be an issue with NVidia driver. I updated the driver just after I added the new monitor, so I'm not sure what to do about that.

Any advice? What should I try? I thought ASUS website might have some relevant advice, but there doesn't seem to be anything there.

Thanks
Inez

Posted 12/10/2017 10:53 PM   
  3 / 3    
Scroll To Top