[Request] 307.68 drivers for windows 10 32 and 64 bit. 7series GPUs
  1 / 2    
[Request] 307.68 drivers for windows 10 32 and 64 bit. 7series GPUs Laptop Model - Dell Inspiron 9400 / e1705 GPU - NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS OS - Windows 10 64-bit PNP Device ID - PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0298&SUBSYS_019B1028&REV_A1\4&5D53E6A&0&0008 Currently works under Windows 8 64-bit with drivers 307.68 - Driver Version 9.18.13.768 - WHQL Compliant Currently blocking my free Windows 10 update :-)
[Request] 307.68 drivers for windows 10 32 and 64 bit. 7series GPUs

Laptop Model - Dell Inspiron 9400 / e1705
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS
OS - Windows 10 64-bit
PNP Device ID - PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0298&SUBSYS_019B1028&REV_A1\4&5D53E6A&0&0008

Currently works under Windows 8 64-bit with drivers 307.68 - Driver Version 9.18.13.768 - WHQL Compliant

Currently blocking my free Windows 10 update :-)

Posted 08/02/2015 11:06 AM   
The same above goes for me. Computer - Dell Dimension 9200 GPU - Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS OS - Windows 10 32-bit (or maybe 64-bit) BUS - PCI Express x16 Currently works on Windows 7 SP1 pro with driver 309.08 version 9.18.13.908 GPU currently blocking update to windows 10....though the update app said everything was ok for upgrade at the time I signed up for the free upgrade. 2015-08-10 Got it to work! 1) Downloaded latest driver package from GeForce "309.08-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-32bit-international-whql" 2) Uninstalled all Nvidia drivers and software 3) Made normal installation through the downloaded package Result: correct driver installed and Windows says correct function on GPU Even the fan slowed down on my computer from constant maximum speed to a level that I can hear myself thinking...
The same above goes for me.

Computer - Dell Dimension 9200
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS
OS - Windows 10 32-bit (or maybe 64-bit)
BUS - PCI Express x16

Currently works on Windows 7 SP1 pro with driver 309.08 version 9.18.13.908

GPU currently blocking update to windows 10....though the update app said everything was ok for upgrade at the time I signed up for the free upgrade.

2015-08-10
Got it to work!
1) Downloaded latest driver package from GeForce "309.08-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-32bit-international-whql"
2) Uninstalled all Nvidia drivers and software
3) Made normal installation through the downloaded package

Result: correct driver installed and Windows says correct function on GPU
Even the fan slowed down on my computer from constant maximum speed to a level that I can hear myself thinking...

Posted 08/03/2015 11:55 AM   
Three things... Have you been able to get any of the regular "7 series" (non Go/laptop) drivers to recognize your Go 7900GS? What do you mean the update is being blocked? Are you doing the "upgrade this PC" or "new install" choice and if you're choosing to upgrade an existing older version of windows which one (7,8,8.1) and type (x86,x64) are you trying to upgrade? According to the microsoft website if you create installation media (DVD or USB) and try to do a clean install you won't get a license key and you won't be able to activate that clean Windows 10 installation for free! You MUST do the free "upgrade" to an eligible and existing OS installation for Windows 10 to go off and find your existing license key, verify that it's legitimate and activated and qualifies for the free upgrade, and then it will automatically convert that older OS key to a new Windows 10 license key and activate it for you for free. I ran the Windows 10 upgrade direct from the download link onto my existing store bought and licensed Windows 7 Pro x64 OS that my E1705 was running with the nVidia GeForce "Go 7900GS" display adapter and 1920x1200 monitor (laptop's 17" screen) and there were no installation blocking/compatibility problems or installation failure problems at all during the Windows 10 upgrade process on my Inspiron E1705, although when it was finished it left me stuck with the basic microsoft display adapter driver and as a result of that driver it also won't detect my WUXGA display so I'm stuck with only stretched 4:3 resolutions on my 16:9 screen although I did eventually get it to let me step up to 1600x1200 from the maximum of 1024x768 that it started out at and was limiting me to and then it let me adjust the zoom back out from gigantic icons and huge text to plain normal 100% which looks like a normal windows desktop again and surprisingly looks just as good on the display as 1920x1200 did in Windows 7 x64. [REQUEST] I want to be able to choose my laptop's navive 1920x1200 16:9 resolution or any other 16:9 for that matter. According to the driver downloads the 8 Series desktop and 8 Series Go laptop cards get a Windows 10 driver and the 7 Series desktop cards get Windows 8.1 while the 7 Series Go laptop cards don't even get Windows 8 support. Even if it's not useful for gaming could the GeForce folks put together a basic 7 series Go compatible Windows 10 Pro x64 driver for those of us with GeForce 7 series Go hardware that cannot be upgraded but still works fine in every other way with Winodws 10, PLEASE.
Three things...

Have you been able to get any of the regular "7 series" (non Go/laptop) drivers to recognize your Go 7900GS?

What do you mean the update is being blocked? Are you doing the "upgrade this PC" or "new install" choice and if you're choosing to upgrade an existing older version of windows which one (7,8,8.1) and type (x86,x64) are you trying to upgrade?
According to the microsoft website if you create installation media (DVD or USB) and try to do a clean install you won't get a license key and you won't be able to activate that clean Windows 10 installation for free! You MUST do the free "upgrade" to an eligible and existing OS installation for Windows 10 to go off and find your existing license key, verify that it's legitimate and activated and qualifies for the free upgrade, and then it will automatically convert that older OS key to a new Windows 10 license key and activate it for you for free.
I ran the Windows 10 upgrade direct from the download link onto my existing store bought and licensed Windows 7 Pro x64 OS that my E1705 was running with the nVidia GeForce "Go 7900GS" display adapter and 1920x1200 monitor (laptop's 17" screen) and there were no installation blocking/compatibility problems or installation failure problems at all during the Windows 10 upgrade process on my Inspiron E1705, although when it was finished it left me stuck with the basic microsoft display adapter driver and as a result of that driver it also won't detect my WUXGA display so I'm stuck with only stretched 4:3 resolutions on my 16:9 screen although I did eventually get it to let me step up to 1600x1200 from the maximum of 1024x768 that it started out at and was limiting me to and then it let me adjust the zoom back out from gigantic icons and huge text to plain normal 100% which looks like a normal windows desktop again and surprisingly looks just as good on the display as 1920x1200 did in Windows 7 x64.

[REQUEST]
I want to be able to choose my laptop's navive 1920x1200 16:9 resolution or any other 16:9 for that matter.
According to the driver downloads the 8 Series desktop and 8 Series Go laptop cards get a Windows 10 driver and the 7 Series desktop cards get Windows 8.1 while the 7 Series Go laptop cards don't even get Windows 8 support.
Even if it's not useful for gaming could the GeForce folks put together a basic 7 series Go compatible Windows 10 Pro x64 driver for those of us with GeForce 7 series Go hardware that cannot be upgraded but still works fine in every other way with Winodws 10, PLEASE.

Posted 08/04/2015 07:45 AM   
@zukikat For this laptop I am waiting for the Windows 10 Reservation icon route of upgrading as opposed to the forced 'Media Creation Tool' upgrade. Via the reservation icon you get this lovely message: 'We are sorry to let you know this PC cannot be upgraded ... ... Issue: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS, The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with windows 10 .....'
@zukikat

For this laptop I am waiting for the Windows 10 Reservation icon route of upgrading as opposed to the forced 'Media Creation Tool' upgrade.

Via the reservation icon you get this lovely message:

'We are sorry to let you know this PC cannot be upgraded ... ...

Issue: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS, The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with windows 10 .....'

Posted 08/04/2015 08:03 PM   
Hey bobster, Two things... First, Which windows version and type (Home/Pro, 32-bit/64-bit) are you running now? I found that Windows 7 Pro x64 ran much better/smoother/faster on my E1705 than XP ever did and the system still got full nVidia gaming/performance driver support whereas so far Windows 10 is a tad laggy and the display driver issue makes youtube drop a lot of frames on anything higher than 480 and especially on full screen mode. It's doing surprisingly well on 10 for decade old hardware on the latest OS but it benchmarked really low on PCMark 8, like barely an 800 while most systems do 2 - 3x higher than that score, which I suspect that just like on the laggy youtube is primarily due to major limitations of the default (generic) "basic display driver"... Second, A misleading thing that they don't clearly explain about the "media creation tool" is that you don't actually have to "create the media" (DVD/USB) to do the upgrade with the tool. It gives you two choices, one of which just downloads the OS and does the upgrade to your existing Windows install with almost no user interaction needed... Instead of waiting for the icon notification (which could be days or months away and will likely never happen for your laptop since it thinks your system can't be upgraded!) you should still be able to go download the tool and it should let you do the upgrade anyway, unless the GWX thing has embedded something into your registry to prevent it from working now that you've gotten the "cannot be upgraded" message. If you really want Windows 10 and your laptop isn't a mission critical work machine and you're willing to put up with being stuck on a generic display driver in 4:3 resolutions then go get the tool and have it do the upgrade and let us know how it goes. See, I thought I had gone to windows update and gotten the optional KB update on all of my machines that adds the GWX icon back in like March when it first popped up on my main/work desktop pc but when I booted my E1705 last week to activate the Windows 10 reservation on it, which I never got around to doing before, I was surprised to see that the GWX icon wasn't there on my laptop. With the GWX icon missing I didn't have any notifications about compatibility issues, never thought to check, and didn't feel like taking the time to go hunt down the KB update to add the missing GWX icon. Instead I just went to the microsoft website and jumped right into trying to get the Windows 10 upgrade for my laptop, thinking that my store bought (licensed and installed) Win 7 Pro x64 OS and 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo processor and 2x2GB dual-channel ram were all up to spec and qualified, and therefore assuming that it ought to install without thinking about the old gpu/card... Here's what I actually did and how it went... I clicked the link for downloading the media creation tool from the microsoft website's windows 10 area in I.E.11 on my E1705, chose to save it to my system just in case, and once its' small download of the tool completed and I clicked the "run" option from the download completion bar at the bottom of the browser and the tool came up and gave me two choices, "create a new DVD/USB media for installing Windows on another pc" OR "upgrade your PC's current windows" (not exact word for word quotes). I chose to have it upgrade my existing OS which was Windows 7 Pro x64 (with all the latest windows updates already installed before I ran the Windows 10 tool!) and after a couple more next/accept questions it just went to a Windows 10 setup screen, started a download, and did its' thing for a bit over a couple of hours (about 45 minutes of downloading to get the full Windows 10 OS data/files over my 12 Meg U-Verse internet), then a couple of long "please wait" and "installing windows" sessions with 2 or 3 auto-reboots along the way, and when the process finished I was at the Windows 10 desktop with no warnings or errors and all my stuff was there... Even device manager had all the hardware listed with no exclamation pointed devices at all! The only "problem" through the whole process was the generic microsoft display driver and display settings it had chosen which put my E1705 into a 4:3 resolution at like 1024x768 and like 300% zoom-in which was frustrating and useless but I eventually got it zoomed out and managed to crank up the resolution to a much higher 4:3 setting that makes the laptop basically usable at least. I've read that once the upgrade says it's finished and you end up at the desktop you should still leave it alone for at least 15-30 minutes (or more depensing on your internet speed and cpu speed) as it's going to automatically launch windows update in the background (without asking, telling, or showing you!) as soon as it fully boots to the desktop for the first time and it really needs to get all the latest updates to fully sort out all your hardware and such and have some time to install all the updates before you start tinkering and rebooting the system...
Hey bobster,

Two things...

First,
Which windows version and type (Home/Pro, 32-bit/64-bit) are you running now?
I found that Windows 7 Pro x64 ran much better/smoother/faster on my E1705 than XP ever did and the system still got full nVidia gaming/performance driver support whereas so far Windows 10 is a tad laggy and the display driver issue makes youtube drop a lot of frames on anything higher than 480 and especially on full screen mode.
It's doing surprisingly well on 10 for decade old hardware on the latest OS but it benchmarked really low on PCMark 8, like barely an 800 while most systems do 2 - 3x higher than that score, which I suspect that just like on the laggy youtube is primarily due to major limitations of the default (generic) "basic display driver"...

Second,
A misleading thing that they don't clearly explain about the "media creation tool" is that you don't actually have to "create the media" (DVD/USB) to do the upgrade with the tool. It gives you two choices, one of which just downloads the OS and does the upgrade to your existing Windows install with almost no user interaction needed...

Instead of waiting for the icon notification (which could be days or months away and will likely never happen for your laptop since it thinks your system can't be upgraded!) you should still be able to go download the tool and it should let you do the upgrade anyway, unless the GWX thing has embedded something into your registry to prevent it from working now that you've gotten the "cannot be upgraded" message. If you really want Windows 10 and your laptop isn't a mission critical work machine and you're willing to put up with being stuck on a generic display driver in 4:3 resolutions then go get the tool and have it do the upgrade and let us know how it goes.

See, I thought I had gone to windows update and gotten the optional KB update on all of my machines that adds the GWX icon back in like March when it first popped up on my main/work desktop pc but when I booted my E1705 last week to activate the Windows 10 reservation on it, which I never got around to doing before, I was surprised to see that the GWX icon wasn't there on my laptop. With the GWX icon missing I didn't have any notifications about compatibility issues, never thought to check, and didn't feel like taking the time to go hunt down the KB update to add the missing GWX icon. Instead I just went to the microsoft website and jumped right into trying to get the Windows 10 upgrade for my laptop, thinking that my store bought (licensed and installed) Win 7 Pro x64 OS and 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo processor and 2x2GB dual-channel ram were all up to spec and qualified, and therefore assuming that it ought to install without thinking about the old gpu/card...

Here's what I actually did and how it went...
I clicked the link for downloading the media creation tool from the microsoft website's windows 10 area in I.E.11 on my E1705, chose to save it to my system just in case, and once its' small download of the tool completed and I clicked the "run" option from the download completion bar at the bottom of the browser and the tool came up and gave me two choices, "create a new DVD/USB media for installing Windows on another pc" OR "upgrade your PC's current windows" (not exact word for word quotes).
I chose to have it upgrade my existing OS which was Windows 7 Pro x64 (with all the latest windows updates already installed before I ran the Windows 10 tool!) and after a couple more next/accept questions it just went to a Windows 10 setup screen, started a download, and did its' thing for a bit over a couple of hours (about 45 minutes of downloading to get the full Windows 10 OS data/files over my 12 Meg U-Verse internet), then a couple of long "please wait" and "installing windows" sessions with 2 or 3 auto-reboots along the way, and when the process finished I was at the Windows 10 desktop with no warnings or errors and all my stuff was there... Even device manager had all the hardware listed with no exclamation pointed devices at all!

The only "problem" through the whole process was the generic microsoft display driver and display settings it had chosen which put my E1705 into a 4:3 resolution at like 1024x768 and like 300% zoom-in which was frustrating and useless but I eventually got it zoomed out and managed to crank up the resolution to a much higher 4:3 setting that makes the laptop basically usable at least.

I've read that once the upgrade says it's finished and you end up at the desktop you should still leave it alone for at least 15-30 minutes (or more depensing on your internet speed and cpu speed) as it's going to automatically launch windows update in the background (without asking, telling, or showing you!) as soon as it fully boots to the desktop for the first time and it really needs to get all the latest updates to fully sort out all your hardware and such and have some time to install all the updates before you start tinkering and rebooting the system...

Posted 08/05/2015 11:02 PM   
Hellos zukikat, My current set up is: Updated my RAM to 2x2GB Samsung DDR2s Updated HDD to 1TB Installed Clean Windows 8.1 Pro - 64Bit My 7900GS driver came via windows update - 307.68 - Driver Version 9.18.13.768 To me this is an excellent machine that has really stood up to the tests of time! My question to NVIDIA is Windows 10 and Windows 8 have almost the same core, thus it should not be hard to port the drivers from 8 to 10! I understand having legacy GPUs in a desktop, these can always be replaced cost effective. But in laptops, its essentially 'Buy an entire laptop if you want us to support you'. If NVIDIA is not willing to help us laptop users we have only 3 choices: 1) Stay with Maximum Windows 8.1 :-( 2) Force update to Windows 10 - Stuck with Generic Driver (and attempt to install windows 7 drivers under compatibility mode, you can try this as you have already upgraded to windows 10) 3) Take apart laptop and put the inferior ATI x1400 card in
Hellos zukikat,

My current set up is:

Updated my RAM to 2x2GB Samsung DDR2s
Updated HDD to 1TB
Installed Clean Windows 8.1 Pro - 64Bit

My 7900GS driver came via windows update - 307.68 - Driver Version 9.18.13.768

To me this is an excellent machine that has really stood up to the tests of time!

My question to NVIDIA is Windows 10 and Windows 8 have almost the same core, thus it should not be hard to port the drivers from 8 to 10!

I understand having legacy GPUs in a desktop, these can always be replaced cost effective.

But in laptops, its essentially 'Buy an entire laptop if you want us to support you'.

If NVIDIA is not willing to help us laptop users we have only 3 choices:

1) Stay with Maximum Windows 8.1 :-(
2) Force update to Windows 10 - Stuck with Generic Driver (and attempt to install windows 7 drivers under compatibility mode, you can try this as you have already upgraded to windows 10)
3) Take apart laptop and put the inferior ATI x1400 card in

Posted 08/06/2015 09:02 AM   
Hi zukikat, Check post #61 in this thread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/862424/geforce-drivers/windows-10-faq-and-driver-installation-tips-/post/4627776/#4627776
Hi zukikat,

Check post #61 in this thread:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/862424/geforce-drivers/windows-10-faq-and-driver-installation-tips-/post/4627776/#4627776

Posted 08/06/2015 09:13 AM   
Hey bob, I believe I've tried that driver version's setup/install already which launches but then just reports that there is no compatible hardware found, as does any 3xx.xx version driver I've tried to install so far because the Go 7 Series that you and I have and the regular (desktop) 7 Series that the user who wrote that post is using apparently don't use the same sets of drivers at all. The Go 7 Series cards use driver series 14x.x instead of series 3xx.x that's for the desktop cards which doesn't seem to detect a Go 7 Series laptop card when you run its' setup and therefore it won't even try to go through the install process. I agree that it sure seems like it shouldn't be some huge undertaking to enable one of the existing Go card drivers to run in compatibility mode for the Go 7 Series laptop cards as many regular 7 Series desktop users have managed to install. When I try that with the newest Go 7 Series drivers it goes through the entire process and gets to the reboot/finish screen, actually reboots if I choose that option, and yet it just isn't even there when Windows 10 comes back up from the reboot. So frustrating. Side note: due to your link above I noticed a moderator posting in that thread and PM'd him about our Go 7 Series issue and we'll see if he decides to lobby on our behalf, takes the company line of "no longer supported", or opts not to respond at all although I'm sure he's probably swamped with posts and PM's already...
Hey bob,
I believe I've tried that driver version's setup/install already which launches but then just reports that there is no compatible hardware found, as does any 3xx.xx version driver I've tried to install so far because the Go 7 Series that you and I have and the regular (desktop) 7 Series that the user who wrote that post is using apparently don't use the same sets of drivers at all.
The Go 7 Series cards use driver series 14x.x instead of series 3xx.x that's for the desktop cards which doesn't seem to detect a Go 7 Series laptop card when you run its' setup and therefore it won't even try to go through the install process.

I agree that it sure seems like it shouldn't be some huge undertaking to enable one of the existing Go card drivers to run in compatibility mode for the Go 7 Series laptop cards as many regular 7 Series desktop users have managed to install. When I try that with the newest Go 7 Series drivers it goes through the entire process and gets to the reboot/finish screen, actually reboots if I choose that option, and yet it just isn't even there when Windows 10 comes back up from the reboot. So frustrating.

Side note: due to your link above I noticed a moderator posting in that thread and PM'd him about our Go 7 Series issue and we'll see if he decides to lobby on our behalf, takes the company line of "no longer supported", or opts not to respond at all although I'm sure he's probably swamped with posts and PM's already...

Posted 08/06/2015 11:04 AM   
So I heard back from that moderator I PM'd yesterday. Here's what he said. [quote=""]Unfortunately no sure way to get drivers installed for Win10 on this machine that im aware of especially for this older GPU that didnt even have Win8 support for it. Nothing I could suggest other than try and find some other threads online where people may have resolved it.[/quote] So basically if you really want Windows 10 on your Dell Inspiron E1705 or any other laptop with Go 7 Series or older video hardware your only choice at this point is to download and run the media creation tool from microsoft's website, choose to have it upgrade your existing OS directly instead of creating the DVD/USB installation media, and live with the fact that it is going to install a generic "microsoft basic display adapter" driver with limited 4:3 resolution choices on your 16:9 screen with somewhat laggy display results on certain software/websites and no solutions... If you decide to do that I'd also recommend doing every possible important windows update install on your existing OS before you try the Windows 10 upgrade. Do NOT try doing a "clean install" or you won't get a free Windows 10 license! I strongly recommend reading all the FAQ's about the free upgrade license and installing Windows 10 before you run the media creation tool. As for our Windows 10 nVidia Go 7 Series display driver "problem", as of this writing on 8/6/2015... For me the desktop 7 Series Windows 8/8.1 drivers do NOT work for the GO 7 Series cards, or at least NONE of the various allegedly working desktop driver versions that people have claimed success with (and I have tried them all myself) will even try to install without saying some variants of "no compatible graphics hardware found!" and exiting the setup. So far all of those people that I have read about were all using desktop PC's with a regular 7 series driver, not the GO version on a laptop which is apparently a different GPU chip. The few GO 7 Series drivers I've found either go through all the motions but have no effects whatsoever, or claim some variant of "this isn't Vista!" and terminate their installation process. Also note that the ONE and ONLY driver version that's even listed for the Go 7 series cards from nvidia right now is the same one for Windows 7, Windows Vista, AND Windows XP, version 179.48 Released Feb 11, 2009. Windows 8 (8.0) shows up in the OS list but gives a "no results found" when you click the search button, and Windows 8.1 doesn't appear at all.
So I heard back from that moderator I PM'd yesterday. Here's what he said.
said:Unfortunately no sure way to get drivers installed for Win10 on this machine that im aware of especially for this older GPU that didnt even have Win8 support for it.

Nothing I could suggest other than try and find some other threads online where people may have resolved it.

So basically if you really want Windows 10 on your Dell Inspiron E1705 or any other laptop with Go 7 Series or older video hardware your only choice at this point is to download and run the media creation tool from microsoft's website, choose to have it upgrade your existing OS directly instead of creating the DVD/USB installation media, and live with the fact that it is going to install a generic "microsoft basic display adapter" driver with limited 4:3 resolution choices on your 16:9 screen with somewhat laggy display results on certain software/websites and no solutions...
If you decide to do that I'd also recommend doing every possible important windows update install on your existing OS before you try the Windows 10 upgrade.
Do NOT try doing a "clean install" or you won't get a free Windows 10 license! I strongly recommend reading all the FAQ's about the free upgrade license and installing Windows 10 before you run the media creation tool.

As for our Windows 10 nVidia Go 7 Series display driver "problem", as of this writing on 8/6/2015...

For me the desktop 7 Series Windows 8/8.1 drivers do NOT work for the GO 7 Series cards, or at least NONE of the various allegedly working desktop driver versions that people have claimed success with (and I have tried them all myself) will even try to install without saying some variants of "no compatible graphics hardware found!" and exiting the setup. So far all of those people that I have read about were all using desktop PC's with a regular 7 series driver, not the GO version on a laptop which is apparently a different GPU chip.

The few GO 7 Series drivers I've found either go through all the motions but have no effects whatsoever, or claim some variant of "this isn't Vista!" and terminate their installation process. Also note that the ONE and ONLY driver version that's even listed for the Go 7 series cards from nvidia right now is the same one for Windows 7, Windows Vista, AND Windows XP, version 179.48 Released Feb 11, 2009. Windows 8 (8.0) shows up in the OS list but gives a "no results found" when you click the search button, and Windows 8.1 doesn't appear at all.

Posted 08/06/2015 11:28 PM   
Hey Bob, SUCCESS!!! My laptop just auto-switched to 1920x1200 and shows as a GeForce 7900 GS now, yay!!! I can't say how stable it'll be or what issues may pop up as a result but at least an nvidia driver did finally install. Most of them kept saying "not compatible with this version of windows" when I tried to use the 3xx.xx series. After numerous other attempts I ended up going into devive manager, choosing "update driver", and using the "Have Disk" method to select the .inf for the "Go 7 Series" Vista x64 179.48 driver, aka version 7.15.11.7948, chose a 7900 GS (desktop card) and unlike all the 3xx.xx ones I had already tried, this time windows actually accepted it and resized my desktop and everything looks normal so far. Of course that hasn't given me the nvidia control panel or tray icon or anything like that since the nvidia install/setup didn't actually work but at least I've got my 1920x1200 again which is the main thing I wanted. I'm going to run a PCMark 8 benchmark to put it through its' paces and we'll see if it stays stable and if it makes any improvements in performance over the microsoft basic display driver... I'll post my results either tonight or tomorrow. Now it's also going to be interesting to see if Windows Update notices or cares...
Hey Bob, SUCCESS!!!
My laptop just auto-switched to 1920x1200 and shows as a GeForce 7900 GS now, yay!!!
I can't say how stable it'll be or what issues may pop up as a result but at least an nvidia driver did finally install. Most of them kept saying "not compatible with this version of windows" when I tried to use the 3xx.xx series.

After numerous other attempts I ended up going into devive manager, choosing "update driver", and using the "Have Disk" method to select the .inf for the "Go 7 Series" Vista x64 179.48 driver, aka version 7.15.11.7948, chose a 7900 GS (desktop card) and unlike all the 3xx.xx ones I had already tried, this time windows actually accepted it and resized my desktop and everything looks normal so far.

Of course that hasn't given me the nvidia control panel or tray icon or anything like that since the nvidia install/setup didn't actually work but at least I've got my 1920x1200 again which is the main thing I wanted.

I'm going to run a PCMark 8 benchmark to put it through its' paces and we'll see if it stays stable and if it makes any improvements in performance over the microsoft basic display driver...
I'll post my results either tonight or tomorrow.

Now it's also going to be interesting to see if Windows Update notices or cares...

Posted 08/07/2015 01:51 AM   
Awesome!!! I will link you post to others who have a go 7 series :D
Awesome!!!

I will link you post to others who have a go 7 series :D

Posted 08/07/2015 04:04 AM   
So I ran PCMark8 and not only did it work without any graphics driver problems it also went from 789 on the microsoft basic display adapter driver to 1386 on the nVidia Go 7900 GS driver, not blazing fast of course but also nowhere near the slowest, and such a HUGE improvement exactly as I was hoping for and pretty much expected. I also discovered that the nVidia control panel IS installed and working now too! GeForce Experience still doesn't find any compatible gpu's but at least things are finally running right again on this old laptop and doing it on Windows 10 too! So if you really want Windows 10, ignore the GWX icon, go download the media creation tool, run it, and just do the upgrade to your existing Windows install... I would strongly recommend making an image of your existing windows or getting a new hard drive and cloning your existing windows first in case you end up unhappy with Windows 10, but that's up to you. I did that when I stepped this laptop up from XP to 7 but I didn't do it with my Windows 7 install and at first I started wishing I had but I still have that old 100GB Windows XP drive with all my obsolete and proprietary work equipment configuration software on it sitting on a shelf for those extremely rare occasions when I need to use any of that obsolete proprietary work equipment setup/configuration software and stuff that I couldn't get to run in 7, which is why I just threw caution to the wind and did the Windows 10 upgrade to this laptop.
So I ran PCMark8 and not only did it work without any graphics driver problems it also went from 789 on the microsoft basic display adapter driver to 1386 on the nVidia Go 7900 GS driver, not blazing fast of course but also nowhere near the slowest, and such a HUGE improvement exactly as I was hoping for and pretty much expected.
I also discovered that the nVidia control panel IS installed and working now too!

GeForce Experience still doesn't find any compatible gpu's but at least things are finally running right again on this old laptop and doing it on Windows 10 too!

So if you really want Windows 10, ignore the GWX icon, go download the media creation tool, run it, and just do the upgrade to your existing Windows install...
I would strongly recommend making an image of your existing windows or getting a new hard drive and cloning your existing windows first in case you end up unhappy with Windows 10, but that's up to you.

I did that when I stepped this laptop up from XP to 7 but I didn't do it with my Windows 7 install and at first I started wishing I had but I still have that old 100GB Windows XP drive with all my obsolete and proprietary work equipment configuration software on it sitting on a shelf for those extremely rare occasions when I need to use any of that obsolete proprietary work equipment setup/configuration software and stuff that I couldn't get to run in 7, which is why I just threw caution to the wind and did the Windows 10 upgrade to this laptop.

Posted 08/07/2015 05:18 AM   
Yep. I have a 7900 GS as well.
Yep. I have a 7900 GS as well.

Posted 01/16/2016 10:24 PM   
OK then ;-) I just got Windows 10 on my Dell Inspiron E1705/9400, finally! . I don't know if this is a necessary step, but I first made sure that nv_lh.inf was in c:\windows\inf. Then I went with the media install, as recommended and of course it installed the Microsoft "whatever" adapter. I then went to device manager, chose "update driver", UNCHECKED the box for "only show compatible..." and then clicked on "Have Disk" and pointed to the install in \nVidia\WinVista64\179.48\IS\Display (somehow, I extracted these files to this path on C:\ in my previous failed attempts). At that point, the install ran and after the reboot, the driver installed with no issues and installed the correct 7900 GS GO version. I've only been running it since last night, but so far, no issues and much better performance all-round. (I had previously upgraded this machine from XP to Win7Pro and it was soooooo sloooooow.) Win10 freed up hard drive space and runs better on this decade+ old age machine. Thanks for your tips, as that got me started, just thought I'd share another positive experience (someone should kick nVidia/Dell/MS in the a** regarding this driver.....it should be available like other legacy devices). I also just found out that this originally 2 GB max memory machine apparently can now be upgraded to 4GB (maybe a BIOS upgrade allowed it?), so this machine will probably be running better in a couple weeks.
OK then ;-) I just got Windows 10 on my Dell Inspiron E1705/9400, finally! . I don't know if this is a necessary step, but I first made sure that nv_lh.inf was in c:\windows\inf. Then I went with the media install, as recommended and of course it installed the Microsoft "whatever" adapter. I then went to device manager, chose "update driver", UNCHECKED the box for "only show compatible..." and then clicked on "Have Disk" and pointed to the install in \nVidia\WinVista64\179.48\IS\Display (somehow, I extracted these files to this path on C:\ in my previous failed attempts). At that point, the install ran and after the reboot, the driver installed with no issues and installed the correct 7900 GS GO version. I've only been running it since last night, but so far, no issues and much better performance all-round. (I had previously upgraded this machine from XP to Win7Pro and it was soooooo sloooooow.) Win10 freed up hard drive space and runs better on this decade+ old age machine. Thanks for your tips, as that got me started, just thought I'd share another positive experience (someone should kick nVidia/Dell/MS in the a** regarding this driver.....it should be available like other legacy devices). I also just found out that this originally 2 GB max memory machine apparently can now be upgraded to 4GB (maybe a BIOS upgrade allowed it?), so this machine will probably be running better in a couple weeks.

Posted 01/17/2016 03:59 PM   
Windows 10 Update installed Build 1151 (Threshold 2) last night and the driver [b]179.48 [/b]now got a blue screen (nvlddmkm.sys). I am not able to install this driver again through the manual way. [i]Does anyone have a solution to get the old Geforce Go 7900 GS to work on Windows 10 (Build 1151) ?[/i] My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9400. Thank you, Andi
Windows 10 Update installed Build 1151 (Threshold 2) last night
and the driver 179.48 now got a blue screen (nvlddmkm.sys).

I am not able to install this driver again through the manual way.

Does anyone have a solution to get the old Geforce Go 7900 GS to work on Windows 10 (Build 1151) ?
My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9400.

Thank you,
Andi

Posted 04/03/2016 09:18 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top