Windows 10 upgrade for GeForce 7600 GT graphics card?
I was just about to upgrade my daughter's Windows 7 PC to Windows 10, on the general advice from Microsoft that hardware which runs Win7 should be fine with Win10, and the initial PC Check confirmed that. It uses an Abit AV8 mobo with a GeForce 7600 GT graphics card. It's only got 1GB of RAM, so I will be installing the 32-bit version. However I've just run the check again before starting the upgrade, and it is now saying that the graphics card (while compatible with Win7) is not compatible with Win10. Any thoughts on whether I should proceed anyway, and manually install the latest 32-bit Win7/8 driver (which seems to be http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/82832/en-uk from 24 Feb this year) ? Don't really want to spend any money on this older machine at this point as it's due for replacement in about 12 months anyway. Thanks! Andre
I was just about to upgrade my daughter's Windows 7 PC to Windows 10, on the general advice from Microsoft that hardware which runs Win7 should be fine with Win10, and the initial PC Check confirmed that. It uses an Abit AV8 mobo with a GeForce 7600 GT graphics card. It's only got 1GB of RAM, so I will be installing the 32-bit version.

However I've just run the check again before starting the upgrade, and it is now saying that the graphics card (while compatible with Win7) is not compatible with Win10.

Any thoughts on whether I should proceed anyway, and manually install the latest 32-bit Win7/8 driver (which seems to be http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/82832/en-uk from 24 Feb this year) ?

Don't really want to spend any money on this older machine at this point as it's due for replacement in about 12 months anyway. Thanks!

Andre

Posted 08/02/2015 11:05 AM   
Same issue for me (windows 8.1 and geforce 6600). Though I had made a reservation for windows 10, couldn't upgrade because it was saying incompatible card. I installed geforce 309.08 drivers, but windows 10 upgrade icon was still saying incompatible card. So, I downloaded Windows 10 media creation tool from Microsoft [url]https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10[/url] and when i ran it on the pc I chose "Upgrade this PC now". Windows 10 installed fine without problem on my pc, with Microsoft generic drivers. That's how it worked for me. Hope it helps.
Same issue for me (windows 8.1 and geforce 6600). Though I had made a reservation for windows 10, couldn't upgrade because it was saying incompatible card. I installed geforce 309.08 drivers, but windows 10 upgrade icon was still saying incompatible card.
So, I downloaded Windows 10 media creation tool from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and when i ran it on the pc I chose "Upgrade this PC now". Windows 10 installed fine without problem on my pc, with Microsoft generic drivers.
That's how it worked for me. Hope it helps.

Posted 08/02/2015 04:33 PM   
Hi, I had the same problem and got it solved as follows: Start installing from the Microsoft Windows 10 Media creation tool. When downloading and starting it, select to directly upgrade the system (not create ISO/USB). Then the installation worked! After the installation, the problem is that the Microsoft Basic display driver is used, max resolution 1280x... I could solve this by downloading and installing the latest Win 8 driver for the 7600 GT from Nvidia, which surprisingly could be installaed on the Windows 10 system without any problem. Now I have th 1920x1080 resolution back! Hope this helps...
Hi, I had the same problem and got it solved as follows:

Start installing from the Microsoft Windows 10 Media creation tool. When downloading and starting it, select to directly upgrade the system (not create ISO/USB).
Then the installation worked!

After the installation, the problem is that the Microsoft Basic display driver is used, max resolution 1280x...

I could solve this by downloading and installing the latest Win 8 driver for the 7600 GT from Nvidia, which surprisingly could be installaed on the Windows 10 system without any problem.
Now I have th 1920x1080 resolution back!

Hope this helps...

Posted 08/02/2015 06:26 PM   
Thanks both. that's basically what I was intending to try. I'll ask the upgrade tool to do a semi-clean install to remove any old drivers, etc . Glad to know it should work. My daughter is not a PC game player, other than online java-based stuff, and it's only a 1280x1024 monitor anyway. Mostly for school work. And if not, I've taken the precaution of imaging the entire boot drive anyway, so I can always roll it back. Andre
Thanks both. that's basically what I was intending to try. I'll ask the upgrade tool to do a semi-clean install to remove any old drivers, etc . Glad to know it should work. My daughter is not a PC game player, other than online java-based stuff, and it's only a 1280x1024 monitor anyway. Mostly for school work.

And if not, I've taken the precaution of imaging the entire boot drive anyway, so I can always roll it back.

Andre

Posted 08/02/2015 07:46 PM   
I have a Geforce 6600 and as above Windows 10 upgrade would not install due to incompatibility of 6600. So I also downloaded the media creation tool for 32 bit Windows 10 as it is an old system. Ran the install and Hey Presto, all seems to be fine. I only have a 1280... screen and after the install the default Microsoft driver was loaded at 1024... resolution. Simply went to Settings / Display, changed to 1280 and everything looks as before. Great advice - Microsoft did not have to make it so hard or off-putting.
I have a Geforce 6600 and as above Windows 10 upgrade would not install due to incompatibility of 6600.

So I also downloaded the media creation tool for 32 bit Windows 10 as it is an old system.

Ran the install and Hey Presto, all seems to be fine. I only have a 1280... screen and after the install the default Microsoft driver was loaded at 1024... resolution. Simply went to Settings / Display, changed to 1280 and everything looks as before.

Great advice - Microsoft did not have to make it so hard or off-putting.

Posted 08/31/2015 02:07 PM   
Scroll To Top