Netflix keeps on crashing! Sometimes hard crashing the entire tablet!
  1 / 3    
I am very frustrated by this issue! Netflix will crash repeatedly with multiple errors (mainly the one where it says Netflix cannot be started, even though it is already running, this usually leads to a hard crash when you press Ok). Then it will also lock the entire tablet up. Screen will freeze and it will make a constant buzzing sound. Have to press Power button to restart tablet. These issues will sometimes occur in bunches. Sometimes it will be fine for a few days. Othertimes it makes using Netflix impossible as it just keeps on crashing. I have restarted the tablet, powered it off and on, deleted Netflix, reinstalled Netflix, cleared cache and date (sometimes will temporarily help). I have done a factory reset as well but that didn't make a difference. This issue has occurred since I received the tablet in January with KitKat and Lollipop. Any suggestions for a fix? PS. This issue is mainly with Netflix. I can't recall any other app, gamestream, etc causing these issues.
I am very frustrated by this issue! Netflix will crash repeatedly with multiple errors (mainly the one where it says Netflix cannot be started, even though it is already running, this usually leads to a hard crash when you press Ok). Then it will also lock the entire tablet up. Screen will freeze and it will make a constant buzzing sound. Have to press Power button to restart tablet.

These issues will sometimes occur in bunches. Sometimes it will be fine for a few days. Othertimes it makes using Netflix impossible as it just keeps on crashing.

I have restarted the tablet, powered it off and on, deleted Netflix, reinstalled Netflix, cleared cache and date (sometimes will temporarily help). I have done a factory reset as well but that didn't make a difference. This issue has occurred since I received the tablet in January with KitKat and Lollipop. Any suggestions for a fix?

PS. This issue is mainly with Netflix. I can't recall any other app, gamestream, etc causing these issues.

Posted 07/08/2015 12:12 AM   
[quote=""]I am very frustrated by this issue! Netflix will crash repeatedly with multiple errors (mainly the one where it says Netflix cannot be started, even though it is already running, this usually leads to a hard crash when you press Ok). Then it will also lock the entire tablet up. Screen will freeze and it will make a constant buzzing sound. Have to press Power button to restart tablet. These issues will sometimes occur in bunches. Sometimes it will be fine for a few days. Othertimes it makes using Netflix impossible as it just keeps on crashing. I have restarted the tablet, powered it off and on, deleted Netflix, reinstalled Netflix, cleared cache and date (sometimes will temporarily help). I have done a factory reset as well but that didn't make a difference. This issue has occurred since I received the tablet in January with KitKat and Lollipop. Any suggestions for a fix? PS. This issue is mainly with Netflix. I can't recall any other app, gamestream, etc causing these issues. [/quote] I'm running into the exact same problem. I use my tablet alot for Netflix and after the update it randomly gets errors, freezes, or completely locks up my tablet and I have to reset. Can happen a few times a day or every other day so I'm not sure what's going on. It's extremely frustrating. I too only have this issue when watching Netflix.
said:I am very frustrated by this issue! Netflix will crash repeatedly with multiple errors (mainly the one where it says Netflix cannot be started, even though it is already running, this usually leads to a hard crash when you press Ok). Then it will also lock the entire tablet up. Screen will freeze and it will make a constant buzzing sound. Have to press Power button to restart tablet.

These issues will sometimes occur in bunches. Sometimes it will be fine for a few days. Othertimes it makes using Netflix impossible as it just keeps on crashing.

I have restarted the tablet, powered it off and on, deleted Netflix, reinstalled Netflix, cleared cache and date (sometimes will temporarily help). I have done a factory reset as well but that didn't make a difference. This issue has occurred since I received the tablet in January with KitKat and Lollipop. Any suggestions for a fix?

PS. This issue is mainly with Netflix. I can't recall any other app, gamestream, etc causing these issues.

I'm running into the exact same problem. I use my tablet alot for Netflix and after the update it randomly gets errors, freezes, or completely locks up my tablet and I have to reset. Can happen a few times a day or every other day so I'm not sure what's going on. It's extremely frustrating. I too only have this issue when watching Netflix.

Posted 07/08/2015 01:38 AM   
I get this as well
I get this as well

Intel Core i5-4670K @4.3GHz
Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE
Corsair 600W ATX12V

Posted 07/08/2015 04:47 AM   
Interesting to hear others are having the same problems. Just now I was watching Netflix and it just locked up with a constant buzzing sound. No errors just straight to a lock up! So annoying! For something as simple as Netflix I wish it just worked properly.
Interesting to hear others are having the same problems. Just now I was watching Netflix and it just locked up with a constant buzzing sound. No errors just straight to a lock up! So annoying!

For something as simple as Netflix I wish it just worked properly.

Posted 07/08/2015 10:14 PM   
I get this problem as well. As well as getting errors that won't play what I want to watch. But then I play it on my phone just fine.
I get this problem as well. As well as getting errors that won't play what I want to watch. But then I play it on my phone just fine.

Posted 07/09/2015 01:27 AM   
This tablet needs a serious update soon! I'm done being patient with this thing. I have other problems that I won't list here. This Netflix issue really needs to get fixed though. Bugs me that the console keeps getting updates and the tablet is left like this. I'm sure they are working on it but nvidia needs to put more people on it so the update comes quicker and it's actually stable.
This tablet needs a serious update soon! I'm done being patient with this thing. I have other problems that I won't list here. This Netflix issue really needs to get fixed though. Bugs me that the console keeps getting updates and the tablet is left like this. I'm sure they are working on it but nvidia needs to put more people on it so the update comes quicker and it's actually stable.

Posted 07/09/2015 04:33 AM   
Same here. Kinda annoying since it keeps logging me out when it hard crashes. Not my Netflix so I don't have the password.
Same here. Kinda annoying since it keeps logging me out when it hard crashes. Not my Netflix so I don't have the password.

Posted 07/10/2015 12:33 AM   
Something similar happens with YouTube but it's never permanent, but when it happens late at night it scares the crap outta me.
Something similar happens with YouTube but it's never permanent, but when it happens late at night it scares the crap outta me.

Posted 07/11/2015 07:40 AM   
I detailed this in [url=https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/834177/shield-tablet/official-shield-tablet-ota-3-0-update-feedback-thread-released-5-22-15-/post/4601554/#4601554]this post[/url] I made earlier (you may have to scroll down, it's a pretty long post), and it happens to me in applications outside of Netflix and YouTube. I've had problems with Google Play Music and Bitcoin Billionaire, with the same buzzing sound the OP described.
I detailed this in this post I made earlier (you may have to scroll down, it's a pretty long post), and it happens to me in applications outside of Netflix and YouTube. I've had problems with Google Play Music and Bitcoin Billionaire, with the same buzzing sound the OP described.

Posted 07/12/2015 12:25 AM   
I have found a way to replicate this issue consistently, and I'm going to make a video showing exactly what happens. It'll be interesting to see whether you guys are experiencing a problem similar to the one I'm able to replicate...
I have found a way to replicate this issue consistently, and I'm going to make a video showing exactly what happens. It'll be interesting to see whether you guys are experiencing a problem similar to the one I'm able to replicate...

Posted 07/13/2015 06:50 PM   
I agree with your post defttt. It is annoying to have such gimmicky problems. I also remember when my PC would lock up and the sound would just "buzz" constantly until it was restarted. My daughter's iPad has never crashed Netflix once, nor has the previous Android (Asus) tablet I had for 3 years. The Shield tablet is so powerful in all the things it can do perfectly for me, however, it is ironic that one of the most popular tablet apps is the one I'm having problems with. My Tablet is stock also. I've made no changes to it other than the official updates from Nvidia. I have a ticket in for Tier 2 support. We will see what they say.
I agree with your post defttt. It is annoying to have such gimmicky problems. I also remember when my PC would lock up and the sound would just "buzz" constantly until it was restarted.

My daughter's iPad has never crashed Netflix once, nor has the previous Android (Asus) tablet I had for 3 years. The Shield tablet is so powerful in all the things it can do perfectly for me, however, it is ironic that one of the most popular tablet apps is the one I'm having problems with. My Tablet is stock also. I've made no changes to it other than the official updates from Nvidia.

I have a ticket in for Tier 2 support. We will see what they say.

Posted 07/14/2015 01:05 AM   
+1. Buzzing here as well, most of the time. All the usual troubleshooting steps, no change. I can watch movies in half a dozen other apps, and play games. Just netflix with the (new) problem. A week give or take. I did notice Netflix started doing some single-sign-on with my Google account... seemed to happen about the same time to me. Maybe not. Hard to see how this would be related though. Seems more like a hardware decoder/driver fault. I did try "sign out" after Google signed me in, entered username/password the old fashioned way, and it played for a bit... Then I tried pulling the shade down to adjust brightness, and *locked*. Strange because netflix the app hasn't updated in a month or so. The problem hasn't been going on that long. Some other new feature they recently activated on the back end? This is rendering my tablet pretty useless...
+1. Buzzing here as well, most of the time. All the usual troubleshooting steps, no change.

I can watch movies in half a dozen other apps, and play games. Just netflix with the (new) problem. A week give or take.

I did notice Netflix started doing some single-sign-on with my Google account... seemed to happen about the same time to me. Maybe not. Hard to see how this would be related though. Seems more like a hardware decoder/driver fault.

I did try "sign out" after Google signed me in, entered username/password the old fashioned way, and it played for a bit... Then I tried pulling the shade down to adjust brightness, and *locked*.

Strange because netflix the app hasn't updated in a month or so. The problem hasn't been going on that long. Some other new feature they recently activated on the back end?

This is rendering my tablet pretty useless...

Posted 07/14/2015 01:40 AM   
Hey, I want you guys to check [url=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antutu.videobench&hl=en]this app[/url] out and see if you get results similar to [url=https://youtu.be/9haQwrqzick]this.[/url]
Hey, I want you guys to check this app out and see if you get results similar to this.

Posted 07/14/2015 05:35 AM   
I didn't get any buzzing noises like you in that video tester. Went through twice. Just no audio when it tries ac3 codecs, etc.. Though, I also watched Netflix last night without any trouble ... after a few incidents. I was surprised. On other occasions it hasn't gone away at all and I've resorted to my phone. When it happens to me it's always accompanied by the tablet locking up hard. You have to hold the power button to shut it up / off. And it tends to keep happening after restarts. I've cleared Netflix data, uninstalled Netflix, cleared cache in recovery mode, removed all kinds of potentially "related" apps like MX Player ...
I didn't get any buzzing noises like you in that video tester. Went through twice. Just no audio when it tries ac3 codecs, etc.. Though, I also watched Netflix last night without any trouble ... after a few incidents. I was surprised. On other occasions it hasn't gone away at all and I've resorted to my phone.

When it happens to me it's always accompanied by the tablet locking up hard. You have to hold the power button to shut it up / off. And it tends to keep happening after restarts.

I've cleared Netflix data, uninstalled Netflix, cleared cache in recovery mode, removed all kinds of potentially "related" apps like MX Player ...

Posted 07/14/2015 07:40 PM   
[quote="gonzola"]I didn't get any buzzing noises like you in that video tester. Went through twice. Just no audio when it tries ac3 codecs, etc.. Though, I also watched Netflix last night without any trouble ... after a few incidents. I was surprised. On other occasions it hasn't gone away at all and I've resorted to my phone. When it happens to me it's always accompanied by the tablet locking up hard. You have to hold the power button to shut it up / off. And it tends to keep happening after restarts. I've cleared Netflix data, uninstalled Netflix, cleared cache in recovery mode, removed all kinds of potentially "related" apps like MX Player ...[/quote]Now that [i]is interesting[/i]! Would you mind telling me which OTA you are on? I'm going to try the same thing tonight, but with OTA 3.0 and 1.2.1 to see if I can reproduce that problem (even though my gut feeling tells me not to, for sake of my speakers)...
gonzola said:I didn't get any buzzing noises like you in that video tester. Went through twice. Just no audio when it tries ac3 codecs, etc.. Though, I also watched Netflix last night without any trouble ... after a few incidents. I was surprised. On other occasions it hasn't gone away at all and I've resorted to my phone.

When it happens to me it's always accompanied by the tablet locking up hard. You have to hold the power button to shut it up / off. And it tends to keep happening after restarts.

I've cleared Netflix data, uninstalled Netflix, cleared cache in recovery mode, removed all kinds of potentially "related" apps like MX Player ...
Now that is interesting! Would you mind telling me which OTA you are on? I'm going to try the same thing tonight, but with OTA 3.0 and 1.2.1 to see if I can reproduce that problem (even though my gut feeling tells me not to, for sake of my speakers)...

Posted 07/14/2015 09:26 PM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top