NVIDIA SHIELD TV EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE SUPPORT
  1 / 6    
I have recently bought nvidia shield tv. I connect it to western digital 4 tb harddisk dive via USB 3 drive.it is displayed in the file Explorer but when I opened the drive it's not displaying any files. It's formatted in ntfs.and it's displaying the capacity as only 218 kb even thought it is a 4 tb harddisk dive. Pls help me. My wd tv player is able to read videos from my drive
I have recently bought nvidia shield tv.
I connect it to western digital 4 tb harddisk dive via USB 3 drive.it is displayed in the file Explorer but when I opened the drive it's not displaying any files. It's formatted in ntfs.and it's displaying the capacity as only 218 kb even thought it is a 4 tb harddisk dive. Pls help me. My wd tv player is able to read videos from my drive

Posted 06/19/2015 01:06 PM   
Pls help me with this problem. I am really confused
Pls help me with this problem. I am really confused

Posted 06/19/2015 05:39 PM   
Which model are you using? I just bought the 4TB My Book ($130 at Best Buy last week) and it works flawlessly. Didn't have to do anything other than plug it in.
Which model are you using? I just bought the 4TB My Book ($130 at Best Buy last week) and it works flawlessly. Didn't have to do anything other than plug it in.

Posted 06/19/2015 09:01 PM   
make sure its correct filesystem; shield only works with fat32 (not exfat) and ntfs last i checked
make sure its correct filesystem; shield only works with fat32 (not exfat) and ntfs last i checked

Posted 06/19/2015 10:07 PM   
Make sure the drive is configured correctly on your computer. Can your computer play videos from your drive?
Make sure the drive is configured correctly on your computer. Can your computer play videos from your drive?

Posted 06/19/2015 11:35 PM   
You might want to go into Storage and make sure the drive isn't Unmounted. There is a bug with WD drives on SHIELD TV where it unmounts them as soon as you plug it in. There is no way to mount them until there is an OTA fix. Two of my WD drives do this.. but my Seagate one doesn't.
You might want to go into Storage and make sure the drive isn't Unmounted. There is a bug with WD drives on SHIELD TV where it unmounts them as soon as you plug it in. There is no way to mount them until there is an OTA fix.

Two of my WD drives do this.. but my Seagate one doesn't.

Image -Current build

Moderator for Psyonix - Rocket League

Posted 06/21/2015 09:20 AM   
If you have rooted, can you mount exfat by downloading stickmount app?
If you have rooted, can you mount exfat by downloading stickmount app?

Posted 06/21/2015 12:52 PM   
Maybe the shield doesn't work with GPT partitioning and requires MBR?
Maybe the shield doesn't work with GPT partitioning and requires MBR?

Posted 06/21/2015 04:38 PM   
[quote=""]make sure its correct filesystem; shield only works with fat32 (not exfat) and ntfs last i checked[/quote] from Nvidia: SHIELD includes support for NTFS, HFS+, and exFAT for external USB drives.
said:make sure its correct filesystem; shield only works with fat32 (not exfat) and ntfs last i checked

from Nvidia:

SHIELD includes support for NTFS, HFS+, and exFAT for external USB drives.

Posted 06/24/2015 05:05 PM   
[quote=""]I have recently bought nvidia shield tv. I connect it to western digital 4 tb harddisk dive via USB 3 drive.it is displayed in the file Explorer but when I opened the drive it's not displaying any files. It's formatted in ntfs.and it's displaying the capacity as only 218 kb even thought it is a 4 tb harddisk dive. Pls help me. My wd tv player is able to read videos from my drive [/quote] I had some weird issues with external drives on my Shields. To fix them I reformatted them to exFat on my PC, then without putting anything on them I mounted them in my Shields then erased them from the Shield Storage menu. Then I unmounted them and plugged them into PC to move files over. then i moved them back to the shields.
said:I have recently bought nvidia shield tv.
I connect it to western digital 4 tb harddisk dive via USB 3 drive.it is displayed in the file Explorer but when I opened the drive it's not displaying any files. It's formatted in ntfs.and it's displaying the capacity as only 218 kb even thought it is a 4 tb harddisk dive. Pls help me. My wd tv player is able to read videos from my drive

I had some weird issues with external drives on my Shields. To fix them I reformatted them to exFat on my PC, then without putting anything on them I mounted them in my Shields then erased them from the Shield Storage menu. Then I unmounted them and plugged them into PC to move files over. then i moved them back to the shields.

Posted 06/24/2015 05:07 PM   
[quote=""]Make sure the drive is configured correctly on your computer. Can your computer play videos from your drive?[/quote] Yes my computer is able to play videos on this harddisk flawlessly.so is my smart tv but not shield tv
said:Make sure the drive is configured correctly on your
computer. Can your computer play videos from your drive?

Yes my computer is able to play videos on this harddisk flawlessly.so is my smart tv but not shield tv

Posted 06/29/2015 06:12 PM   
You may want to PM ManuelG and give him the model of your drive. Some drives aren't working and will probably need to be added in to one of the OTA Updates.
You may want to PM ManuelG and give him the model of your drive. Some drives aren't working and will probably need to be added in to one of the OTA Updates.

Image -Current build

Moderator for Psyonix - Rocket League

Posted 06/29/2015 06:14 PM   
[quote=""]make sure its correct filesystem; shield only works with fat32 (not exfat) and ntfs last i checked[/quote] But nvidia clearly specified that shield tv supports both exfat and ntfs. And my 2 tb and one tb harddisk dives are supported on my shield tv one is formatted in ntfs and one in exfat shield tv has no problem reading them. But my 4 tb harddisk when connected shows only 299 mb and none of the files on it are being opened
said:make sure its correct filesystem; shield only works with fat32 (not exfat) and ntfs last i checked

But nvidia clearly specified that shield tv supports both exfat and ntfs. And my 2 tb and one tb harddisk dives are supported on my shield tv one is formatted in ntfs and one in exfat shield tv has no problem reading them. But my 4 tb harddisk when connected shows only 299 mb and none of the files on it are being opened

Posted 06/29/2015 06:20 PM   
[quote=""]Which model are you using? I just bought the 4TB My Book ($130 at Best Buy last week) and it works flawlessly. Didn't have to do anything other than plug it in.[/quote] My harddisk model number is WDBACW0040HBK-NESN
said:Which model are you using? I just bought the 4TB My Book ($130 at Best Buy last week) and it works flawlessly. Didn't have to do anything other than plug it in.

My harddisk model number is WDBACW0040HBK-NESN

Posted 06/29/2015 06:25 PM   
[quote=""][quote=""]Which model are you using? I just bought the 4TB My Book ($130 at Best Buy last week) and it works flawlessly. Didn't have to do anything other than plug it in.[/quote] My harddisk model number is WDBACW0040HBK-NESN[/quote] Plug the drive into your PC and move all of the files over to your PC. Format the drive as exFat making sure tp delete everything. Use Windows Safely Remove Hardware function to unplug drive. Plug into Shield TV, let it mount, then use the format/delete function in the Shield. Finally unmount, plug in PC, move files back over (leave the Lost directory intact), Safely Remove, plug back into Shield. Of that doesn't work then nothing will.
said:
said:Which model are you using? I just bought the 4TB My Book ($130 at Best Buy last week) and it works flawlessly. Didn't have to do anything other than plug it in.

My harddisk model number is WDBACW0040HBK-NESN

Plug the drive into your PC and move all of the files over to your PC. Format the drive as exFat making sure tp delete everything. Use Windows Safely Remove Hardware function to unplug drive. Plug into Shield TV, let it mount, then use the format/delete function in the Shield. Finally unmount, plug in PC, move files back over (leave the Lost directory intact), Safely Remove, plug back into Shield. Of that doesn't work then nothing will.

Posted 06/29/2015 06:56 PM   
  1 / 6    
Scroll To Top