GTX 970 Frame times, STUTTERING, low GPU usage, Source games mainly affected (CSGO, Dota2)
  5 / 5    
[quote="cc0537"] The work around I've seem most successful is to turn off the three hugging features and set your GPU to highest clocks at all times. Problem is you then consume more power all the time. Be careful when playing with the BIOS since it can brick your card.[/quote] I tried OC'ing the card using MSI Afterburner just now - I set the clock to the boost frequency. This ended up raising the boost to 1.5ghz. TF2 performance was great -at first- but then plunged like a rock once other people showed up on screen back down to the pathetic 30fps. So it went from 200fps to 30fps. The card is more than capable of running the game like melted butter but it just keeps refusing to do so. By playing with the BIOS I assume you mean doing more than just an OC using software tools?
cc0537 said:
The work around I've seem most successful is to turn off the three hugging features and set your GPU to highest clocks at all times. Problem is you then consume more power all the time. Be careful when playing with the BIOS since it can brick your card.

I tried OC'ing the card using MSI Afterburner just now - I set the clock to the boost frequency. This ended up raising the boost to 1.5ghz. TF2 performance was great -at first- but then plunged like a rock once other people showed up on screen back down to the pathetic 30fps. So it went from 200fps to 30fps. The card is more than capable of running the game like melted butter but it just keeps refusing to do so.

By playing with the BIOS I assume you mean doing more than just an OC using software tools?

Posted 01/11/2016 05:27 AM   
Ok, so, i have an strix 970 OC edition. Also have some issues, but the kind of black screen crashes with the "no signal" in it. Happens with gta v and witcher 3. I used to OC the card, but now at stock it runs pretty well, with fans at 70 and power target al 120. Anyone else with this problem? Is a bad OC causing the damn black screen?
Ok, so, i have an strix 970 OC edition. Also have some issues, but the kind of black screen crashes with the "no signal" in it. Happens with gta v and witcher 3. I used to OC the card, but now at stock it runs pretty well, with fans at 70 and power target al 120. Anyone else with this problem? Is a bad OC causing the damn black screen?

Posted 01/11/2016 05:59 AM   
Just wanted to throw my problem into the stack as well. I have windows 10 64bit upgraded from windows 7 MSI GTX970 FX 6300 CPU Game - Dota 2 50% CPU usage in game 30% GPU usage in game 100 and less FPS (usually around 70-60)
Just wanted to throw my problem into the stack as well.
I have windows 10 64bit upgraded from windows 7
MSI GTX970
FX 6300 CPU

Game - Dota 2
50% CPU usage in game
30% GPU usage in game
100 and less FPS (usually around 70-60)

Posted 01/16/2016 06:02 PM   
It makes zero fucking sense that I can do exactly the same thing and reinstall a legit windows 10 64 bit copy and use windows drivers like OP it fixes his problem yet not mine.
It makes zero fucking sense that I can do exactly the same thing and reinstall a legit windows 10 64 bit copy and use windows drivers like OP it fixes his problem yet not mine.

CPU: I7 4790K adaptive 4.6ghz @ 1.235v (LOL) Noctua nh-d14 | GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 1070 | MB: ASUS Maximus VII hero | RAM: Corsair vengeance pro 2400mhz CL11 8gb x2 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660w | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 512gb x2 (RAID 0), MX100 250gb, WD Blue 1TB | OS: windows 10 64-bit | Display: ASUS VG248QE (144hz) | Audio: Asus Xonar DGX (Unixonar Low DPC driver) driving Sennheiser PC350 SE's , Schecter KM-7 into a Scarlett Focusrite Solo DI for recording

Posted 01/26/2016 01:56 AM   
[quote="Zenit_50mm"] By playing with the BIOS I assume you mean doing more than just an OC using software tools?[/quote] You have to create your own BIOS and the card will never throttle down ever. This is of course dangerous on many levels if done wrong. The other choice is go with Linux :P. I don't think the problem exists on our penguin friendly OS.
Zenit_50mm said:

By playing with the BIOS I assume you mean doing more than just an OC using software tools?

You have to create your own BIOS and the card will never throttle down ever. This is of course dangerous on many levels if done wrong.

The other choice is go with Linux :P. I don't think the problem exists on our penguin friendly OS.

Posted 01/26/2016 02:07 AM   
Is there a fix to low GPU usage? I get really bad FPS in some games like TF2 with a 970. My monitoring software shows the GPU core never has more than 50% load!
Is there a fix to low GPU usage? I get really bad FPS in some games like TF2 with a 970. My monitoring software shows the GPU core never has more than 50% load!

Posted 02/08/2016 04:42 AM   
Ok, I did some testing. This is Counter Strike Source, all max settings - http://i.imgur.com/rQQDDLq.jpg Uses 94% of the gpu core and i get stable 300+ fps! Now in TF2/L4D, no matter what settings, low or max, the game never uses more than 50% gpu core and FPS barely breaks 120 fps and constantly dropping out to 60fps below.
Ok, I did some testing.

This is Counter Strike Source, all max settings - http://i.imgur.com/rQQDDLq.jpg

Uses 94% of the gpu core and i get stable 300+ fps! Now in TF2/L4D, no matter what settings, low or max, the game never uses more than 50% gpu core and FPS barely breaks 120 fps and constantly dropping out to 60fps below.

Posted 02/08/2016 06:44 AM   
Can't speak for Source games, but I have very similar low GPU loads in games like WoWarships, Marvel Heroes, War Thunder, D3, Far Cry 4 and Fallout 4. GPU load doesn't go above 40% most of the time, and plummets down to 15-20% load randomly causing huge fps drops.
Can't speak for Source games, but I have very similar low GPU loads in games like WoWarships, Marvel Heroes, War Thunder, D3, Far Cry 4 and Fallout 4. GPU load doesn't go above 40% most of the time, and plummets down to 15-20% load randomly causing huge fps drops.

Posted 02/09/2016 04:40 AM   
    [size="XL"][b]EDIT: read post below first![/b][/size]   [i] Ok, even though my performance increased significantly, I think there are still some issues with CS:GO - game doesn't feel as smooth as it should. So I came back to this thread once again. From what I found, the proper solution seems to be modifying your GPU vBIOS with MaxwellBiosTweaker and set it to work at high performance all the time - it won't throttle down anymore. This would explain why maxing out details in game helped (at least for me). Because it's dangerous and you need to know what you're doing, you'll have to read further yourself. Stuff you should search for: [list] [.]GPU-Z[/.] [.]MaxwellBiosTweaker[/.] [.]NVFlash[/.] [/list] Good luck! p.s. I did't do this myself yet. I'll do it this week, most likely on Sunday. [/i]

EDIT: read post below first!

Ok, even though my performance increased significantly, I think there are still some issues with CS:GO - game doesn't feel as smooth as it should. So I came back to this thread once again.

From what I found, the proper solution seems to be modifying your GPU vBIOS with MaxwellBiosTweaker and set it to work at high performance all the time - it won't throttle down anymore.
This would explain why maxing out details in game helped (at least for me).

Because it's dangerous and you need to know what you're doing, you'll have to read further yourself.
Stuff you should search for:
  • GPU-Z
  • MaxwellBiosTweaker
  • NVFlash

Good luck!

p.s.
I did't do this myself yet. I'll do it this week, most likely on Sunday.

CPU: I7-4790K
GPU: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 100ME
MB: ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3-1600 CL8 XMP 8gb x2
PSU: FSP Group AURUM GOLD 650W (AU-650M)
SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB
Display: IIYAMA GB2488HSU @ 144hz

Posted 02/15/2016 01:08 PM   
Before messing with vBIOS I tried [b]underclocking the GPU[/b]: after I lowered(!) Core Clock by ~400 MHz with MSI Afterburner, GPU load is around 70-80% @ 144 fps (vsync) and CS:GO feels smooth like never before! (maxed details, 1080p) People with GTX 980 will probably have to underclock even more. Just watch load graph and aim for high GPU utilization like 80-90%. [size="XL"][b]This seems like a valid solution, can anyone confirm?[/b][/size]  
Before messing with vBIOS I tried underclocking the GPU:

after I lowered(!) Core Clock by ~400 MHz with MSI Afterburner, GPU load is around 70-80% @ 144 fps (vsync) and CS:GO feels smooth like never before! (maxed details, 1080p)
People with GTX 980 will probably have to underclock even more. Just watch load graph and aim for high GPU utilization like 80-90%.

This seems like a valid solution, can anyone confirm?

CPU: I7-4790K
GPU: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 100ME
MB: ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3-1600 CL8 XMP 8gb x2
PSU: FSP Group AURUM GOLD 650W (AU-650M)
SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB
Display: IIYAMA GB2488HSU @ 144hz

Posted 02/16/2016 10:19 PM   
Hey guys! Has this issue been fixed in drivers or in the Source Engine or not? I'm thinking about getting a GTX 950, but since TF2 is my primary game, I have doubts...
Hey guys! Has this issue been fixed in drivers or in the Source Engine or not? I'm thinking about getting a GTX 950, but since TF2 is my primary game, I have doubts...

Posted 05/18/2016 08:24 AM   
ASUS STRIX Geforce GTX 970 4 GB DDR5 still having low GPU usage problem The problem of strange low GPU usage that occurs spontaneously in the middle of gaming or it happens after a few hours of computer beeing turned on with maybe 2-3 starts of the same or different game, still exists on my computer and I can see on many others also. I've been having this problem of low GPU usage since August of the summer of 2015. I bought my card in December 2014 but it could be, that I haven't noticed the problem from the beginning of my initial purchase. I presumed the card was just not as fast as they commercialized it. I've tried everything, switching the motherboard, switching the CPU, bought new PSU, probably 10 times installing a fresh copy of OS (Win 7, Win 8.1 and Win10) updated to the last windows update at the time. I've tried all the drivers from August 2015 from version v347.xx further on. Switching option "power management mode" from "adaptive" to "prefer maximu performance" and back to "adaptive". I've even tried the "perform clean installation" with the drivers and also with the Driver Unninstaller. I've unchecked "Geforce Experience" from installation, which I never really liked, it's quite a stupid app, that really just spies on your computer, which games you have and usualy lowers the graphic settings, to make it look like it's running smoothly because of performance of the card instead because of lowering graphic options in the back. I've even updated the BIOS on my ASUS GTX 970 and since it was only one BIOS update officialy released I quickly realized that if that one wouldn't help, there probably isn't any solution out there. And it didn't help at all. Last year I've even bought Intel Core i7 6700 (non K version) with DDR4 konfiguration and new mobo. Sold it, because Intel processors of 2015 have a major mathematical bug, that few people are experiencing it, but if you use programs like Matlab for heavy programing, Intel Skylake freezes everytime and its useless. So I've switched back to AMD FX 8-core last year. And I am really satisfied because multithreading in programming is really fast and reliable. Gaming stayed the same as on Intel Skylakes configuration. So due to my technical nature I've summarized, what the problem with Geforce 900 series is. And I can only speak for GTX 970 and GTX 980 (non Ti) models, because I've owned both. I've heard that lower models like 960 and 950 do not have this problem as much. But I've also heard/read that higher cards like 980 Ti and Titan do have the same problem. I call this problem THE UNABILITY OF PROPERLY CHANGING GPU AND RAM FREQUENCY PROFILE PROBLEM. The 900 series uses mysterious Maxwell technology, that nobody really knows how it actually effectivly uses more pumped energy from PSU for computing and sends less exes energy as heat out through the card. Both graphic cards GTX 970 and GTX 980 after they change frequency profile of GPU / MEM just once from windows idle of 135 MHz / 162 MHz to any other relation for gaming or movie watching, they just don't know or remeber or how to diferentiate what is currently running afterwards on the computer and what frequency should the card use to cope with the current task. Most of the time it gets stuck on 494 MHz / 1753 MHz or 540 MHz / 1753 MHz. But it can also happen that the card gets stuck on 1114 MHz / 1753 MHz and wont go down until restart of OS, and seems to be 100% ready for nothing thus eating medium ammount of energy for very low task that is windows idle. When stuck lets say at 540 MHz / 1753 MHz, the card will use 29.4 % of TDP (measured with GPU-Z) in Windows Idle for notnihg and the temperatures will be slightly higher (apporx. for 12 degrees Celsious) for nothing. I've started to use "Manual Fan Setting" in Nvidia Drivers just 2 months after the summer of 2015 as a precaution, because I just couldn't trust the card to properly cool itself down or read the real GPU usage / GPU and MEM frequencies for proper self auto fan setting. In Furmark if the frequency is stuck on 540 MHz / 1753 MHz, FurMark shows that despite of 50 % lower CPU frequency, the card is quazi 99% of GPU Load. The same happens when I do actually get it to work on 1114 MHz / 1753 MHz and it also whos 99% GPU Load. So if I am in Windows Idle watching movies I use manual fan setting at 40 % speed, but when I try to play a game I use 60 % fan speed, just before the treshhold of sound over the sound of the whole PC. The only solution or at least a partial one I found to this spontanious low GPU problem is the usage of a overclocking program called NVIDIA INSPECTOR (author is the best and I applaude and congratulate him on creating this software) and I always run it before entering any game, just to check if the frequency is stuck from any previous tasks and if it is I just click »Apply Defaults« in the "Overclocking Section" despite that I never overclock the card, but the program Nvidia Inspector seems to apply default setting not only to frequencies, voltages and so on, but also to frequency profiles. This solution helps me lets say 9/10 times. The one time that it doesn't I just have to restart Windows like everybody else that has found that that was the only solution that really worked since last year. Previously I was on AMD cards for 7-8 years without any problems at all, but I've had the chance of testing Nvidia cards throughout those years for the purpose speed comparison (GTX 570, GTX 660, GTX 670, GTX 680, GTX 760, GTX 770, GTX 780). I've found the same frequency profile problem on GTX 700 series, but not as frequent and I didn't care then, because the cards were expensier for the same speed as AMD cards were. But I've bought GTX 970 because of its position at the beggining of the top ranked class and it just used the same power as my previous AMD R9 270X. That convinced me in buying it. But after the problem "LIE OF HAVING USEFULL AMMOINT OF 4GB MEMORY ONBOARD TURNED THAT IT WAS REALLY 3.5 GB" and this mayor "FREQUENCY PROFILE PROBLEM" I am very dissapointed and I will probably never buy Nvidia product again. And that's because they were not reasonable price for its performance, infact slightly overpriced in my opinion and also almost a year has gone by and Nvidia hasn't posted any kind of an appology much less a solution to this massively experienced problem through out the world !!!! Last year I've bought and quickly sold the Intel processor, memory and mobo : Intel Core i7 6700 (nonK) 4-core 8-threads at 3.4 GHz processor Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO 4x 4GB = 16 GB total of DDR4 2133 MHz Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P mobo Samsung SSD EVO 850 500 GB ASUS STRIX Geforce GTX 980 4 GB (before I bought GTX 970 when i sold GTX 980) ASUS Strix Geforce GTX 970 4 GB Corsair RM850 Watt PSU (after Corsair HX850 Watt PSU) Fractal Define ARC XL with 6x 14cm fans installed and switched back to : AMD FX-8370 8-core 8-threads at 4.0 GHz processor Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO 4x 4GB = 16 GB total of DDR3 1333 MHz Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 R5 mobo Samsung SSD EVO 850 500 GB ASUS Strix Geforce GTX 970 4 GB Corsair RM850 Watt PSU Fractal Define ARC XL with 6x 14cm fans installed And am much more satisfied, but the problem with my GTX is still persisting and existed on both Intel and AMD configuration.
ASUS STRIX Geforce GTX 970 4 GB DDR5 still having low GPU usage problem

The problem of strange low GPU usage that occurs spontaneously in the middle of gaming or it happens after a few hours of computer beeing turned on with maybe 2-3 starts of the same or different game, still exists on my computer and I can see on many others also. I've been having this problem of low GPU usage since August of the summer of 2015. I bought my card in December 2014 but it could be, that I haven't noticed the problem from the beginning of my initial purchase. I presumed the card was just not as fast as they commercialized it. I've tried everything, switching the motherboard, switching the CPU, bought new PSU, probably 10 times installing a fresh copy of OS (Win 7, Win 8.1 and Win10) updated to the last windows update at the time. I've tried all the drivers from August 2015 from version v347.xx further on. Switching option "power management mode" from "adaptive" to "prefer maximu performance" and back to "adaptive". I've even tried the "perform clean installation" with the drivers and also with the Driver Unninstaller. I've unchecked "Geforce Experience" from installation, which I never really liked, it's quite a stupid app, that really just spies on your computer, which games you have and usualy lowers the graphic settings, to make it look like it's running smoothly because of performance of the card instead because of lowering graphic options in the back. I've even updated the BIOS on my ASUS GTX 970 and since it was only one BIOS update officialy released I quickly realized that if that one wouldn't help, there probably isn't any solution out there. And it didn't help at all. Last year I've even bought Intel Core i7 6700 (non K version) with DDR4 konfiguration and new mobo. Sold it, because Intel processors of 2015 have a major mathematical bug, that few people are experiencing it, but if you use programs like Matlab for heavy programing, Intel Skylake freezes everytime and its useless. So I've switched back to AMD FX 8-core last year. And I am really satisfied because multithreading in programming is really fast and reliable. Gaming stayed the same as on Intel Skylakes configuration.

So due to my technical nature I've summarized, what the problem with Geforce 900 series is. And I can only speak for GTX 970 and GTX 980 (non Ti) models, because I've owned both. I've heard that lower models like 960 and 950 do not have this problem as much. But I've also heard/read that higher cards like 980 Ti and Titan do have the same problem.
I call this problem THE UNABILITY OF PROPERLY CHANGING GPU AND RAM FREQUENCY PROFILE PROBLEM. The 900 series uses mysterious Maxwell technology, that nobody really knows how it actually effectivly uses more pumped energy from PSU for computing and sends less exes energy as heat out through the card. Both graphic cards GTX 970 and GTX 980 after they change frequency profile of GPU / MEM just once from windows idle of 135 MHz / 162 MHz to any other relation for gaming or movie watching, they just don't know or remeber or how to diferentiate what is currently running afterwards on the computer and what frequency should the card use to cope with the current task. Most of the time it gets stuck on 494 MHz / 1753 MHz or 540 MHz / 1753 MHz. But it can also happen that the card gets stuck on 1114 MHz / 1753 MHz and wont go down until restart of OS, and seems to be 100% ready for nothing thus eating medium ammount of energy for very low task that is windows idle. When stuck lets say at 540 MHz / 1753 MHz, the card will use 29.4 % of TDP (measured with GPU-Z) in Windows Idle for notnihg and the temperatures will be slightly higher (apporx. for 12 degrees Celsious) for nothing.
I've started to use "Manual Fan Setting" in Nvidia Drivers just 2 months after the summer of 2015 as a precaution, because I just couldn't trust the card to properly cool itself down or read the real GPU usage / GPU and MEM frequencies for proper self auto fan setting. In Furmark if the frequency is stuck on 540 MHz / 1753 MHz, FurMark shows that despite of 50 % lower CPU frequency, the card is quazi 99% of GPU Load. The same happens when I do actually get it to work on 1114 MHz / 1753 MHz and it also whos 99% GPU Load. So if I am in Windows Idle watching movies I use manual fan setting at 40 % speed, but when I try to play a game I use 60 % fan speed, just before the treshhold of sound over the sound of the whole PC.

The only solution or at least a partial one I found to this spontanious low GPU problem is the usage of a overclocking program called NVIDIA INSPECTOR (author is the best and I applaude and congratulate him on creating this software) and I always run it before entering any game, just to check if the frequency is stuck from any previous tasks and if it is I just click »Apply Defaults« in the "Overclocking Section" despite that I never overclock the card, but the program Nvidia Inspector seems to apply default setting not only to frequencies, voltages and so on, but also to frequency profiles. This solution helps me lets say 9/10 times. The one time that it doesn't I just have to restart Windows like everybody else that has found that that was the only solution that really worked since last year.

Previously I was on AMD cards for 7-8 years without any problems at all, but I've had the chance of testing Nvidia cards throughout those years for the purpose speed comparison (GTX 570, GTX 660, GTX 670, GTX 680, GTX 760, GTX 770, GTX 780). I've found the same frequency profile problem on GTX 700 series, but not as frequent and I didn't care then, because the cards were expensier for the same speed as AMD cards were. But I've bought GTX 970 because of its position at the beggining of the top ranked class and it just used the same power as my previous AMD R9 270X. That convinced me in buying it. But after the problem "LIE OF HAVING USEFULL AMMOINT OF 4GB MEMORY ONBOARD TURNED THAT IT WAS REALLY 3.5 GB" and this mayor "FREQUENCY PROFILE PROBLEM" I am very dissapointed and I will probably never buy Nvidia product again. And that's because they were not reasonable price for its performance, infact slightly overpriced in my opinion and also almost a year has gone by and Nvidia hasn't posted any kind of an appology much less a solution to this massively experienced problem through out the world !!!!

Last year I've bought and quickly sold the Intel processor, memory and mobo :

Intel Core i7 6700 (nonK) 4-core 8-threads at 3.4 GHz processor
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO
4x 4GB = 16 GB total of DDR4 2133 MHz
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P mobo
Samsung SSD EVO 850 500 GB
ASUS STRIX Geforce GTX 980 4 GB (before I bought GTX 970 when i sold GTX 980)
ASUS Strix Geforce GTX 970 4 GB
Corsair RM850 Watt PSU (after Corsair HX850 Watt PSU)
Fractal Define ARC XL with 6x 14cm fans installed

and switched back to :

AMD FX-8370 8-core 8-threads at 4.0 GHz processor
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO
4x 4GB = 16 GB total of DDR3 1333 MHz
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 R5 mobo
Samsung SSD EVO 850 500 GB
ASUS Strix Geforce GTX 970 4 GB
Corsair RM850 Watt PSU
Fractal Define ARC XL with 6x 14cm fans installed

And am much more satisfied, but the problem with my GTX is still persisting and existed on both Intel and AMD configuration.

Posted 05/20/2016 02:32 PM   
  5 / 5    
Scroll To Top