GTX 970 Frame times, STUTTERING, low GPU usage, Source games mainly affected (CSGO, Dota2)
  2 / 5    
[quote="Sora"]Source doesn't scale to all cores, nor is it really very heavy load on current gpu's. Your CPU is bottlenecking you. Resulting in your GPU load being minimal at whatever FPS you are getting. Resulting clocks returning to low power 3D or 2D. Reasons for stutter could be anywhere, but its most likely that the game is falling back to 2D clocks and suffocating the vram performance.[/quote] Sounds correct, so why can't I force clocks to remain high? Also I've checked the clocks whilst playing Source games, and they remain high constantly. Putting a GTX 660 into my system yields MUCH higher FPS... I tried every maximum power mode available, they don't do anything...
Sora said:Source doesn't scale to all cores, nor is it really very heavy load on current gpu's.

Your CPU is bottlenecking you.

Resulting in your GPU load being minimal at whatever FPS you are getting.

Resulting clocks returning to low power 3D or 2D.

Reasons for stutter could be anywhere, but its most likely that the game is falling back to 2D clocks and suffocating the vram performance.

Sounds correct, so why can't I force clocks to remain high?

Also I've checked the clocks whilst playing Source games, and they remain high constantly.

Putting a GTX 660 into my system yields MUCH higher FPS...

I tried every maximum power mode available, they don't do anything...

Posted 05/25/2015 11:24 AM   
exactly the same here, gtx 970 and 100-250 fps in cs go, all the nvidia support has to say about my ultra detailed ticket is "enable vsync" <- TO PLAY A SOURCE GAME THAT RUNS ON EVERY POTATO ON A 400$ GPU what a joke Edit: my gpu usage in cs go is @ about 30-50% and I have 10gb of gddr3 ram, I dont think thats the problem especially considering I had more stable fps with my old amd radeon hd 7770
exactly the same here, gtx 970 and 100-250 fps in cs go, all the nvidia support has to say about my ultra detailed ticket is "enable vsync" <- TO PLAY A SOURCE GAME THAT RUNS ON EVERY POTATO ON A 400$ GPU what a joke
Edit: my gpu usage in cs go is @ about 30-50% and I have 10gb of gddr3 ram, I dont think thats the problem especially considering I had more stable fps with my old amd radeon hd 7770

Posted 05/25/2015 11:26 AM   
Here is my Afterburner graphs while playing a 10v10 Deathmatch, keep in mind, if I am CPU bottlenecked here (which I actually don't think I am since I got higher frames with a crappy GTX 560) during a 5v5 which I normally play, the CPU usage doesn't come anywhere near this. http://imgur.com/a/7VhBh The dips at the start is the map loading, the dips at the end of the graph is where I minimized to take the 3 screenshots As we can see, the clocks never clock down unless loading a map or minimizing the game. Any ideas? @vermillioNx, exactly.. run vsync so we get increased input lag and are put at a disadvantage. Vsync in a game like this makes no sense when I have a 144mhz monitor. This is a joke and if it isn't fixed by the end of the week I'll be sending this card back to Amazon and going AMD, never touching nvidia again.
Here is my Afterburner graphs while playing a 10v10 Deathmatch, keep in mind, if I am CPU bottlenecked here (which I actually don't think I am since I got higher frames with a crappy GTX 560) during a 5v5 which I normally play, the CPU usage doesn't come anywhere near this.

http://imgur.com/a/7VhBh

The dips at the start is the map loading, the dips at the end of the graph is where I minimized to take the 3 screenshots

As we can see, the clocks never clock down unless loading a map or minimizing the game.
Any ideas?

@vermillioNx, exactly.. run vsync so we get increased input lag and are put at a disadvantage. Vsync in a game like this makes no sense when I have a 144mhz monitor.

This is a joke and if it isn't fixed by the end of the week I'll be sending this card back to Amazon and going AMD, never touching nvidia again.

Posted 05/25/2015 11:40 AM   
[quote="kraM1t"]Here is my Afterburner graphs while playing a 10v10 Deathmatch, keep in mind, if I am CPU bottlenecked here (which I actually don't think I am since I got higher frames with a crappy GTX 560) during a 5v5 which I normally play, the CPU usage doesn't come anywhere near this. http://imgur.com/a/7VhBh The dips at the start is the map loading, the dips at the end of the graph is where I minimized to take the 3 screenshots Any ideas? @vermillioNx, exactly.. run vsync so we get increased input lag and are put at a disadvantage. Vsync in a game like this makes no sense when I have a 144mhz monitor. This is a joke and if it isn't fixed by the end of the week I'll be sending this card back to Amazon and going AMD, never touching nvidia again.[/quote] I was playing with this thought a lot, especially because freakin every nvidia costumer seems to get free games but those who bought the 970 before the scandal dont get anything. But in the end I dont know what card to actually get, maybe when the new wave of amd gpu's gets released I'll check them out and pray to lord gabeN that I get my money back, we'll see. However having 100-250 fps (with a 144hz monitor) in a game like cs go is a bad joke to me, and nvidias response, and their lacking respons on a thread I made proves me that they literally dont give a sht about the maxwell issues, I remember there being a thread with like 600 pages about bad performance and low gpu usage, yet nothing has changed and noone seems to have a good answer as even people with fast i7's report theproblem (like one guy in my thread if I am not mistaken).
kraM1t said:Here is my Afterburner graphs while playing a 10v10 Deathmatch, keep in mind, if I am CPU bottlenecked here (which I actually don't think I am since I got higher frames with a crappy GTX 560) during a 5v5 which I normally play, the CPU usage doesn't come anywhere near this.

http://imgur.com/a/7VhBh

The dips at the start is the map loading, the dips at the end of the graph is where I minimized to take the 3 screenshots
Any ideas?

@vermillioNx, exactly.. run vsync so we get increased input lag and are put at a disadvantage. Vsync in a game like this makes no sense when I have a 144mhz monitor.

This is a joke and if it isn't fixed by the end of the week I'll be sending this card back to Amazon and going AMD, never touching nvidia again.

I was playing with this thought a lot, especially because freakin every nvidia costumer seems to get free games but those who bought the 970 before the scandal dont get anything.
But in the end I dont know what card to actually get, maybe when the new wave of amd gpu's gets released I'll check them out and pray to lord gabeN that I get my money back, we'll see.
However having 100-250 fps (with a 144hz monitor) in a game like cs go is a bad joke to me, and nvidias response, and their lacking respons on a thread I made proves me that they literally dont give a sht about the maxwell issues, I remember there being a thread with like 600 pages about bad performance and low gpu usage, yet nothing has changed and noone seems to have a good answer as even people with fast i7's report theproblem (like one guy in my thread if I am not mistaken).

Posted 05/25/2015 11:49 AM   
Very true, we're just being kept in the dark, meanwhile they are releasing drivers for fixing nvidia laptop errors... while this GLARING ISSUE with their flagship product remains. Here's some more Afterburner charts with polling rate every 200ms instead of 1000ms to try and pick up the microstutter, nope.. all rock solid. http://imgur.com/a/FANF2 Good job the 290X is on offer atm.
Very true, we're just being kept in the dark, meanwhile they are releasing drivers for fixing nvidia laptop errors... while this GLARING ISSUE with their flagship product remains.

Here's some more Afterburner charts with polling rate every 200ms instead of 1000ms to try and pick up the microstutter, nope.. all rock solid.

http://imgur.com/a/FANF2

Good job the 290X is on offer atm.

Posted 05/25/2015 11:56 AM   
lol I even just underclocked the GPU as much as Afterburner would let me so it uses more GPU usage, still a stuttery mess... every other game but Source engine games are great thought so that's something right? looool
lol I even just underclocked the GPU as much as Afterburner would let me so it uses more GPU usage, still a stuttery mess... every other game but Source engine games are great thought so that's something right? looool

Posted 05/25/2015 12:12 PM   
I'm going to ask a friend to let me remote into his machine for a bit and take a look at processor loading, there is no particuar reason for stuttering or low fps if the gpu is remaining at 3d clocks. There is possibly api or driver overhead at work since D3D9 is more or less converted on the fly to work on unified shaders.
I'm going to ask a friend to let me remote into his machine for a bit and take a look at processor loading, there is no particuar reason for stuttering or low fps if the gpu is remaining at 3d clocks.

There is possibly api or driver overhead at work since D3D9 is more or less converted on the fly to work on unified shaders.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 05/25/2015 12:51 PM   
something else is causing it, it is not a GPU or NVidia drivers. I am running CS and CSGO on all my three rigs perfectly fine without suttering with my 980's. what CPU, memory and motherboard you have?
something else is causing it, it is not a GPU or NVidia drivers.

I am running CS and CSGO on all my three rigs perfectly fine without suttering with my 980's.

what CPU, memory and motherboard you have?

Posted 05/25/2015 01:12 PM   
i5 2500K Haswell 3.30GHz Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3, F11 Firmware Corsair DDR3 XMS2 1333mhz 8GB (2x4GB) Putting my brothers GTX 660 into my rig fixes the problem. It's the GPU drivers and they way they are told to handle Source games IMO
i5 2500K Haswell 3.30GHz
Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3, F11 Firmware
Corsair DDR3 XMS2 1333mhz 8GB (2x4GB)

Putting my brothers GTX 660 into my rig fixes the problem.

It's the GPU drivers and they way they are told to handle Source games IMO

Posted 05/25/2015 02:06 PM   
Scratch that, I tried my brothers 660 in my rig again just now and the stutter/low fps was still there. I then disabled XMP RAM profile in BIOS and just set it manually to 1333mhz and my FPS has been a lot higher, hitting the 300fps cap now consistently, although stutter still remains that wasn't present before... oh well :\
Scratch that, I tried my brothers 660 in my rig again just now and the stutter/low fps was still there.

I then disabled XMP RAM profile in BIOS and just set it manually to 1333mhz and my FPS has been a lot higher, hitting the 300fps cap now consistently, although stutter still remains that wasn't present before...

oh well :\

Posted 05/25/2015 03:23 PM   
[quote="kraM1t"]Here is CSGO in a Deathmatch which is very CPU intensive compared to normal 5v5 where CPU actually sits around 50% http://i.imgur.com/F4sx2Up.jpg As you can see Fps_max 999 Graphics on MAX CPU isn't bottlenecking me (60-70%) Temps are fine In theory 200FPS is great, except what I can't show on the screenshot is the constant random stutter caused by it. The GPU % should be going as high as it can until either it tops out @ 100% or the CPU bottlenecks it before then. Neither of those are happening. I've run the same tests with L4D2, TF2, Portal 2 and it's the exact same results. Tested with an MSI GTX 970 G1 and an Asus GTX 970 STRIX, both exhibit exactly the same symptoms. Where as if I look at a game like WWE 2K15 with it's locked 60 frame rate by the developers.. GPU hovers around 60% during wrestling since it's reached it's 60fps target, once the camera pans to the crowd, the GPU usage goes up to 90% to maintain the 60fps target! THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE WITH CSGO/SOURCE GAMES BUT IT ISN'T! Sorry for the constant posting I'm just documenting as I go along in hope someone else can figure this out, hopefully someone from NVIDIA! [/quote] the problem is with the GTX900 series card only. we have tested a GTX770 and GTX960 SSC in my system. GPU usage with 770 got 99% GTX960 got 50%-30% (rust) people will say is a bottleneck but sure if there is a bottleneck a GTX770 should not run better with the same system. this is a problem with drivers/bios. not system or bottleneck. GTX 980 have not the problem. only GTX960/970. also a GTX460 give me more fps in rust and 100% GPU usage. i haven't tested CSGO but the last time i play it i got the same result as u. 150-250fps gpu usage 40-50% lower settings or highest settings any change same fps and same performance.
kraM1t said:Here is CSGO in a Deathmatch which is very CPU intensive compared to normal 5v5 where CPU actually sits around 50%

http://i.imgur.com/F4sx2Up.jpg

As you can see

Fps_max 999
Graphics on MAX
CPU isn't bottlenecking me (60-70%)
Temps are fine

In theory 200FPS is great, except what I can't show on the screenshot is the constant random stutter caused by it. The GPU % should be going as high as it can until either it tops out @ 100% or the CPU bottlenecks it before then.
Neither of those are happening.

I've run the same tests with L4D2, TF2, Portal 2 and it's the exact same results.

Tested with an MSI GTX 970 G1 and an Asus GTX 970 STRIX, both exhibit exactly the same symptoms.

Where as if I look at a game like WWE 2K15 with it's locked 60 frame rate by the developers..

GPU hovers around 60% during wrestling since it's reached it's 60fps target, once the camera pans to the crowd, the GPU usage goes up to 90% to maintain the 60fps target! THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE WITH CSGO/SOURCE GAMES BUT IT ISN'T!

Sorry for the constant posting I'm just documenting as I go along in hope someone else can figure this out, hopefully someone from NVIDIA!

the problem is with the GTX900 series card only.

we have tested a GTX770 and GTX960 SSC in my system. GPU usage with 770 got 99% GTX960 got 50%-30% (rust)

people will say is a bottleneck but sure if there is a bottleneck a GTX770 should not run better with the same system.

this is a problem with drivers/bios. not system or bottleneck.

GTX 980 have not the problem. only GTX960/970.

also a GTX460 give me more fps in rust and 100% GPU usage. i haven't tested CSGO but the last time i play it i got the same result as u. 150-250fps gpu usage 40-50% lower settings or highest settings any change same fps and same performance.

Posted 05/25/2015 06:41 PM   
[quote="kraM1t"]i5 2500K Haswell 3.30GHz Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3, F11 Firmware Corsair DDR3 XMS2 1333mhz 8GB (2x4GB) Putting my brothers GTX 660 into my rig fixes the problem. It's the GPU drivers and they way they are told to handle Source games IMO[/quote] first of all 2500k is not Haswell. now i know your problem, time to ditch that motherboard and get your self a nice Z97 Asus motherboard and latest Corsair DDR3 RAM, it doesn't have to be very high-end, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2400MHz-Desktop-CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R/dp/B00EUPV2RQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1432593531&sr=8-4&keywords=corsair+ram
kraM1t said:i5 2500K Haswell 3.30GHz
Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3, F11 Firmware
Corsair DDR3 XMS2 1333mhz 8GB (2x4GB)

Putting my brothers GTX 660 into my rig fixes the problem.

It's the GPU drivers and they way they are told to handle Source games IMO

first of all 2500k is not Haswell.

now i know your problem, time to ditch that motherboard and get your self a nice Z97 Asus motherboard and latest Corsair DDR3 RAM, it doesn't have to be very high-end, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2400MHz-Desktop-CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R/dp/B00EUPV2RQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1432593531&sr=8-4&keywords=corsair+ram

Posted 05/25/2015 10:39 PM   
[quote="xXz21"][quote="kraM1t"]Here is CSGO in a Deathmatch which is very CPU intensive compared to normal 5v5 where CPU actually sits around 50% http://i.imgur.com/F4sx2Up.jpg As you can see Fps_max 999 Graphics on MAX CPU isn't bottlenecking me (60-70%) Temps are fine In theory 200FPS is great, except what I can't show on the screenshot is the constant random stutter caused by it. The GPU % should be going as high as it can until either it tops out @ 100% or the CPU bottlenecks it before then. Neither of those are happening. I've run the same tests with L4D2, TF2, Portal 2 and it's the exact same results. Tested with an MSI GTX 970 G1 and an Asus GTX 970 STRIX, both exhibit exactly the same symptoms. Where as if I look at a game like WWE 2K15 with it's locked 60 frame rate by the developers.. GPU hovers around 60% during wrestling since it's reached it's 60fps target, once the camera pans to the crowd, the GPU usage goes up to 90% to maintain the 60fps target! THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE WITH CSGO/SOURCE GAMES BUT IT ISN'T! Sorry for the constant posting I'm just documenting as I go along in hope someone else can figure this out, hopefully someone from NVIDIA! [/quote] the problem is with the GTX900 series card only. we have tested a GTX770 and GTX960 SSC in my system. GPU usage with 770 got 99% GTX960 got 50%-30% (rust) people will say is a bottleneck but sure if there is a bottleneck a GTX770 should not run better with the same system. this is a problem with drivers/bios. not system or bottleneck. GTX 980 have not the problem. only GTX960/970. also a GTX460 give me more fps in rust and 100% GPU usage. i haven't tested CSGO but the last time i play it i got the same result as u. 150-250fps gpu usage 40-50% lower settings or highest settings any change same fps and same performance. [/quote] Maxwell will not run 100% in usage when it hits the games fps limit. common sense 101, now go sell your pc and game on wii u and save your self from further troubles.
xXz21 said:
kraM1t said:Here is CSGO in a Deathmatch which is very CPU intensive compared to normal 5v5 where CPU actually sits around 50%

As you can see

Fps_max 999
Graphics on MAX
Temps are fine

In theory 200FPS is great, except what I can't show on the screenshot is the constant random stutter caused by it. The GPU % should be going as high as it can until either it tops out @ 100% or the CPU bottlenecks it before then.

I've run the same tests with L4D2, TF2, Portal 2 and it's the exact same results.

Tested with an MSI GTX 970 G1 and an Asus GTX 970 STRIX, both exhibit exactly the same symptoms.

Where as if I look at a game like WWE 2K15 with it's locked 60 frame rate by the developers..

GPU hovers around 60% during wrestling since it's reached it's 60fps target, once the camera pans to the crowd, the GPU usage goes up to 90% to maintain the 60fps target! THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE WITH CSGO/SOURCE GAMES BUT IT ISN'T!

Sorry for the constant posting I'm just documenting as I go along in hope someone else can figure this out, hopefully someone from NVIDIA!

we have tested a GTX770 and GTX960 SSC in my system. GPU usage with 770 got 99% GTX960 got 50%-30% (rust)

people will say is a bottleneck but sure if there is a bottleneck a GTX770 should not run better with the same system.

also a GTX460 give me more fps in rust and 100% GPU usage. i haven't tested CSGO but the last time i play it i got the same result as u. 150-250fps gpu usage 40-50% lower settings or highest settings any change same fps and same performance.

Maxwell will not run 100% in usage when it hits the games fps limit.

common sense 101, now go sell your pc and game on wii u and save your self from further troubles.

Posted 05/25/2015 10:41 PM   
[quote="CyBorg11"][quote="xXz21"][quote="kraM1t"]Here is CSGO in a Deathmatch which is very CPU intensive compared to normal 5v5 where CPU actually sits around 50% http://i.imgur.com/F4sx2Up.jpg As you can see Fps_max 999 Graphics on MAX CPU isn't bottlenecking me (60-70%) Temps are fine In theory 200FPS is great, except what I can't show on the screenshot is the constant random stutter caused by it. The GPU % should be going as high as it can until either it tops out @ 100% or the CPU bottlenecks it before then. Neither of those are happening. I've run the same tests with L4D2, TF2, Portal 2 and it's the exact same results. Tested with an MSI GTX 970 G1 and an Asus GTX 970 STRIX, both exhibit exactly the same symptoms. Where as if I look at a game like WWE 2K15 with it's locked 60 frame rate by the developers.. GPU hovers around 60% during wrestling since it's reached it's 60fps target, once the camera pans to the crowd, the GPU usage goes up to 90% to maintain the 60fps target! THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE WITH CSGO/SOURCE GAMES BUT IT ISN'T! Sorry for the constant posting I'm just documenting as I go along in hope someone else can figure this out, hopefully someone from NVIDIA! [/quote] the problem is with the GTX900 series card only. we have tested a GTX770 and GTX960 SSC in my system. GPU usage with 770 got 99% GTX960 got 50%-30% (rust) people will say is a bottleneck but sure if there is a bottleneck a GTX770 should not run better with the same system. this is a problem with drivers/bios. not system or bottleneck. GTX 980 have not the problem. only GTX960/970. also a GTX460 give me more fps in rust and 100% GPU usage. i haven't tested CSGO but the last time i play it i got the same result as u. 150-250fps gpu usage 40-50% lower settings or highest settings any change same fps and same performance. [/quote] Maxwell will not run 100% in usage when it hits the games fps limit. common sense 101, now go sell your pc and game on wii u and save your self from further troubles.[/quote] seriusly? do u think 30fps is the limit for rust? or CS GO? variable fps is the limit? ok i can understand that if the fps get 120 and stay there is OK but the problem is the fps are not stable. are not constant the fps go to 30 up to 50 down to 20 go to 10. is not only with rust is with many unity games. 7 Days to die run with 50fps down to 30 up to 60 down to 40. gpu usage do the same. up to 50 down to 20 up to 30. i am sorry but im not a Console gamer. but i don't buy new hardware to get bad fps. i got better fps with old cards. (depends on game) (the problem is with source games/unity or olders) im not alone. go to check forums and u will see 70% of the post are for this problem. with newer CPU or olders setup doesn't matter what u have. sorry for my bad english.
CyBorg11 said:
xXz21 said:

As you can see

Fps_max 999
Graphics on MAX
Temps are fine

Maxwell will not run 100% in usage when it hits the games fps limit.

common sense 101, now go sell your pc and game on wii u and save your self from further troubles.

seriusly? do u think 30fps is the limit for rust? or CS GO? variable fps is the limit? ok i can understand that if the fps get 120 and stay there is OK but the problem is the fps are not stable. are not constant the fps go to 30 up to 50 down to 20 go to 10.

is not only with rust is with many unity games. 7 Days to die run with 50fps down to 30 up to 60 down to 40. gpu usage do the same. up to 50 down to 20 up to 30.

i am sorry but im not a Console gamer. but i don't buy new hardware to get bad fps. i got better fps with old cards. (depends on game) (the problem is with source games/unity or olders) im not alone. go to check forums and u will see 70% of the post are for this problem.
with newer CPU or olders setup doesn't matter what u have.

sorry for my bad english.

Posted 05/26/2015 02:34 AM   
[quote="Sora"]Source doesn't scale to all cores, nor is it really very heavy load on current gpu's. Your CPU is bottlenecking you. (the cores it can use) Resulting in your GPU load being minimal at whatever FPS you are getting. Resulting clocks returning to low power 3D or 2D. Reasons for stutter could be anywhere, but its most likely that the game is falling back to 2D clocks and suffocating the vram performance.[/quote] That makes no sense. My old dual core Celeron with a a Radeon 7770 or GTX 760 was able to get better performance and Gigabyte G1 cards that turn off the gimmik power saving feature of Maxwell are fine.
Sora said:Source doesn't scale to all cores, nor is it really very heavy load on current gpu's.

Your CPU is bottlenecking you. (the cores it can use)

Resulting in your GPU load being minimal at whatever FPS you are getting.

Resulting clocks returning to low power 3D or 2D.

Reasons for stutter could be anywhere, but its most likely that the game is falling back to 2D clocks and suffocating the vram performance.

That makes no sense. My old dual core Celeron with a a Radeon 7770 or GTX 760 was able to get better performance and Gigabyte G1 cards that turn off the gimmik power saving feature of Maxwell are fine.

Posted 05/26/2015 02:42 AM   
  2 / 5    
Scroll To Top