[GTX 970] Low GPU usage and the game isnt smooth?
  1 / 4    
I was wondering what could cause the poor performance in certain games quite a while now, I still havent figured it out but I noticed something weird, well at least it looks a bit weird to me. My problem: In CS GO (and some other games that should run at 300 fps+) my FPS in a 5v5 room are at 100-200, very inconsistent with a lot of heavy framedrops and freezes. Yesterday I noticed that the gpu usage while playing cs go lays at about 30% wich seems to be wrong to me as I have "low" or at least inconsistant FPS while not even 1/3 of my gpu is being used? I already set everything on performance in the control panel, also the power managment and tbh I haven't noticed any difference afterwards. Today I already reinstalled windows and the drivers, step by step exactly as the support has told me so I assume I haven't made any mistakes, yet the same result. I also noticed that in certain benchamrk tools my GPU score was lower then the average gtx 970 score, does anyone have an idea of how to fix my problems? I searched for solutions so incredibly long and I couldnt find anything that helped yet. My specs: CPU: Intel Core i5 3350p GPU: Gtx 970 4GB Galax gamer OC RAM: 10 GB Gddr3 Additional info: The temperature is low constantly so its not getting to hot or something, also I noticed that in far cry 3 for example it goes up to 70% with a core clock of 1312 (or something around it) while the core clock in cs go is at ~1100 all the time. Edit: problem is still there (12.04.15) I already tried reinstalling windows, I reinstalled the drivers EXACTLY how the nvidia support told me to and I did everything else people suggested me, bios is up to date, mainboard drivers are up to date, tried installing without geforce experience, my PSU can handle it, etc.. One thing is for certain already, my next gpu -> not nvidia.. all the support said about this issue was "turn vsyinc on", with first of all wasnt really helping, and second I cant play cs with vsyinc, and considering I have a high end 400€ gpu it's a joke that I am told to use vsyinc to have a stable game, hell the game was even smoother on my amd 7770... Doesn't mean that other games run as intendet though, seems like my 970 in general does a bad job.
I was wondering what could cause the poor performance in certain games quite a while now, I still havent figured it out but I noticed something weird, well at least it looks a bit weird to me.

My problem:

In CS GO (and some other games that should run at 300 fps+) my FPS in a 5v5 room are at 100-200, very inconsistent with a lot of heavy framedrops and freezes.
Yesterday I noticed that the gpu usage while playing cs go lays at about 30% wich seems to be wrong to me as I have "low" or at least inconsistant FPS while not even 1/3 of my gpu is being used?
I already set everything on performance in the control panel, also the power managment and tbh I haven't noticed any difference afterwards.
Today I already reinstalled windows and the drivers, step by step exactly as the support has told me so I assume I haven't made any mistakes, yet the same result.

I also noticed that in certain benchamrk tools my GPU score was lower then the average gtx 970 score, does anyone have an idea of how to fix my problems? I searched for solutions so incredibly long and I couldnt find anything that helped yet.

My specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3350p
GPU: Gtx 970 4GB Galax gamer OC
RAM: 10 GB Gddr3

Additional info:
The temperature is low constantly so its not getting to hot or something, also I noticed that in far cry 3 for example it goes up to 70% with a core clock of 1312 (or something around it) while the core clock in cs go is at ~1100 all the time.

Edit:

problem is still there (12.04.15)

I already tried reinstalling windows, I reinstalled the drivers EXACTLY how the nvidia support told me to and I did everything else people suggested me, bios is up to date, mainboard drivers are up to date, tried installing without geforce experience, my PSU can handle it, etc..

One thing is for certain already, my next gpu -> not nvidia.. all the support said about this issue was "turn vsyinc on", with first of all wasnt really helping, and second I cant play cs with vsyinc, and considering I have a high end 400€ gpu it's a joke that I am told to use vsyinc to have a stable game, hell the game was even smoother on my amd 7770...
Doesn't mean that other games run as intendet though, seems like my 970 in general does a bad job.

Posted 03/05/2015 09:29 PM   
your cpu is not the best, i can think of a possible bottleneck, did you monitor cpu usage while playing csgo? if you haven't, you should check it out. if your cpu cores are on 95-100% then your cpu holds back your gpu from creating more frames. edit: if this is not the case, your psu can be next step to troubleshoot
your cpu is not the best, i can think of a possible bottleneck, did you monitor cpu usage while playing csgo? if you haven't, you should check it out. if your cpu cores are on 95-100% then your cpu holds back your gpu from creating more frames.

edit:
if this is not the case, your psu can be next step to troubleshoot

# core i7-4790
# gigabyte gtx 980 wf3
# hyperx genesis 16 gb 1866 cl10
# samsung 850evo 250gb # Asus z97-k
# lg ips 22mp55 60hz 1080p
# fsp raider 650w silver80+
# 2tb wd green

Posted 03/05/2015 09:33 PM   
Cant test CS GO right now, have to redownload everything (250kb/s download) however I tried another game with the same problem and no, its about 30-40%, the weird thing is, that game (crossfire) is very inconsistant when it comes to fps, it usually goes up and down by like 100 fps, now its very constant at 200 fps, like it's capped even though it has no fps cap at all, its like 190-205 being at 200.02 FPS 90% of the time. I dont really know much about the PSU or what is relevant, took a foto of it, hope its enough: http://i.imgur.com/fBThKxf.jpg
Cant test CS GO right now, have to redownload everything (250kb/s download) however I tried another game with the same problem and no, its about 30-40%, the weird thing is, that game (crossfire) is very inconsistant when it comes to fps, it usually goes up and down by like 100 fps, now its very constant at 200 fps, like it's capped even though it has no fps cap at all, its like 190-205 being at 200.02 FPS 90% of the time.

I dont really know much about the PSU or what is relevant, took a foto of it, hope its enough:

http://i.imgur.com/fBThKxf.jpg

Posted 03/05/2015 09:52 PM   
i've checked it, psu should be fine. i don't know this game "crossfire" but if you have 200fps with 30% usage, then i suppose its a really old game and i think its totally normal that gpu usage is not going over 30%. Overall i think your card is fine, maybe you have a cpu bottleneck in some situations, but that'll only come to light if you test new, more demanding games like ac unity, far cry 4, dying light
i've checked it, psu should be fine. i don't know this game "crossfire" but if you have 200fps with 30% usage, then i suppose its a really old game and i think its totally normal that gpu usage is not going over 30%.
Overall i think your card is fine, maybe you have a cpu bottleneck in some situations, but that'll only come to light if you test new, more demanding games like ac unity, far cry 4, dying light

# core i7-4790
# gigabyte gtx 980 wf3
# hyperx genesis 16 gb 1866 cl10
# samsung 850evo 250gb # Asus z97-k
# lg ips 22mp55 60hz 1080p
# fsp raider 650w silver80+
# 2tb wd green

Posted 03/05/2015 10:29 PM   
[quote="sz0ty0l4"]your cpu is not the best, i can think of a possible bottleneck, did you monitor cpu usage while playing csgo? if you haven't, you should check it out. if your cpu cores are on 95-100% then your cpu holds back your gpu from creating more frames. [/quote] The CPU is fine. I was able to get 60fps at 1200p at max quality with a 7770 Ghz-ed and a 3350p on CS:GO. Now for the issue at hand... it's a known issue with Maxwell cards but not 100% sure how to fix it. As far as the community can deduce it's part of the power saver features of Maxwell. I'm sure Nvidia will fix it in the future but perhaps at the cost of power savings.
sz0ty0l4 said:your cpu is not the best, i can think of a possible bottleneck, did you monitor cpu usage while playing csgo? if you haven't, you should check it out. if your cpu cores are on 95-100% then your cpu holds back your gpu from creating more frames.

The CPU is fine. I was able to get 60fps at 1200p at max quality with a 7770 Ghz-ed and a 3350p on CS:GO.

Now for the issue at hand... it's a known issue with Maxwell cards but not 100% sure how to fix it. As far as the community can deduce it's part of the power saver features of Maxwell. I'm sure Nvidia will fix it in the future but perhaps at the cost of power savings.

Posted 03/05/2015 10:34 PM   
As I said, me and my bamboo internet have to redownload everything, I'll monitor my CPU usage with Far Cry 3 and see if it goes close to 100. But from what I've been told even a 80€ cpu shouldnt bottleneck modern cards noticable these days so I thought it wouldnt even e an option here. But still, that game I've been talking about doesnt run smooth, it stutteres a lot and freezes for seconds sometimes. Anyways, it has graphics similar to CS CZ, wich ironicly runs at 700-100FPS, while its a very cheap and technicly awful game, I still should get 300-400 seeing how i had constant 250 with my old amd radeon hd 7770. About CS GO I found a lot of people having the same issue, yet there are also some who have 300-400 fps in a 12v12 server, maybe caused by the drivers not being well optimized for cs go?
As I said, me and my bamboo internet have to redownload everything, I'll monitor my CPU usage with Far Cry 3 and see if it goes close to 100.
But from what I've been told even a 80€ cpu shouldnt bottleneck modern cards noticable these days so I thought it wouldnt even e an option here.
But still, that game I've been talking about doesnt run smooth, it stutteres a lot and freezes for seconds sometimes.
Anyways, it has graphics similar to CS CZ, wich ironicly runs at 700-100FPS, while its a very cheap and technicly awful game, I still should get 300-400 seeing how i had constant 250 with my old amd radeon hd 7770.

About CS GO I found a lot of people having the same issue, yet there are also some who have 300-400 fps in a 12v12 server, maybe caused by the drivers not being well optimized for cs go?

Posted 03/05/2015 10:36 PM   
[quote="cc0537"][quote="sz0ty0l4"]your cpu is not the best, i can think of a possible bottleneck, did you monitor cpu usage while playing csgo? if you haven't, you should check it out. if your cpu cores are on 95-100% then your cpu holds back your gpu from creating more frames. [/quote] The CPU is fine. I was able to get 60fps at 1200p at max quality with a 7770 Ghz-ed and a 3350p on CS:GO. Now for the issue at hand... it's a known issue with Maxwell cards but not 100% sure how to fix it. As far as the community can deduce it's part of the power saver features of Maxwell. I'm sure Nvidia will fix it in the future but perhaps at the cost of power savings.[/quote] I honestly dont care about power savings and I believe for most gamers the power saving features of the card is rather uninteristing and mainly used to say "hey look at my card it has xx% more graphicpower then your card while using xx% less power. If this is intentionally they should definitly check cs individually as theres barely a game where performance is as important as counter strike..
cc0537 said:
sz0ty0l4 said:your cpu is not the best, i can think of a possible bottleneck, did you monitor cpu usage while playing csgo? if you haven't, you should check it out. if your cpu cores are on 95-100% then your cpu holds back your gpu from creating more frames.

The CPU is fine. I was able to get 60fps at 1200p at max quality with a 7770 Ghz-ed and a 3350p on CS:GO.

Now for the issue at hand... it's a known issue with Maxwell cards but not 100% sure how to fix it. As far as the community can deduce it's part of the power saver features of Maxwell. I'm sure Nvidia will fix it in the future but perhaps at the cost of power savings.

I honestly dont care about power savings and I believe for most gamers the power saving features of the card is rather uninteristing and mainly used to say "hey look at my card it has xx% more graphicpower then your card while using xx% less power.

If this is intentionally they should definitly check cs individually as theres barely a game where performance is as important as counter strike..

Posted 03/05/2015 10:39 PM   
[quote="vermillioNx"][quote="cc0537"][quote="sz0ty0l4"]your cpu is not the best, i can think of a possible bottleneck, did you monitor cpu usage while playing csgo? if you haven't, you should check it out. if your cpu cores are on 95-100% then your cpu holds back your gpu from creating more frames. [/quote] The CPU is fine. I was able to get 60fps at 1200p at max quality with a 7770 Ghz-ed and a 3350p on CS:GO. Now for the issue at hand... it's a known issue with Maxwell cards but not 100% sure how to fix it. As far as the community can deduce it's part of the power saver features of Maxwell. I'm sure Nvidia will fix it in the future but perhaps at the cost of power savings.[/quote] I honestly dont care about power savings and I believe for most gamers the power saving features of the card is rather uninteristing and mainly used to say "hey look at my card it has xx% more graphicpower then your card while using xx% less power. If this is intentionally they should definitly check cs individually as theres barely a game where performance is as important as counter strike..[/quote] There are definitely people who care about power savings. Look though this forum and how many people prefer the 970 over a 780TI or 290 because of the 'power features'. Never mind the power usage on the 970 is like 30 Watts less at max load and the performance can be worse. You and I might not care about power usage because we're educated on the matter but that's one of the big selling points of Nvidia on Maxwell and people swallowed the marketing.
vermillioNx said:
cc0537 said:

I honestly dont care about power savings and I believe for most gamers the power saving features of the card is rather uninteristing and mainly used to say "hey look at my card it has xx% more graphicpower then your card while using xx% less power.

If this is intentionally they should definitly check cs individually as theres barely a game where performance is as important as counter strike..

There are definitely people who care about power savings. Look though this forum and how many people prefer the 970 over a 780TI or 290 because of the 'power features'. Never mind the power usage on the 970 is like 30 Watts less at max load and the performance can be worse.

You and I might not care about power usage because we're educated on the matter but that's one of the big selling points of Nvidia on Maxwell and people swallowed the marketing.

Posted 03/05/2015 10:50 PM   
Checked for bios updates mainboard updates and everything is up to date.. I really got no clue what could cause this, especially "not so demanding" games are stuttering and unsmooth (even morrowind lol?)
Checked for bios updates mainboard updates and everything is up to date.. I really got no clue what could cause this, especially "not so demanding" games are stuttering and unsmooth (even morrowind lol?)

Posted 03/09/2015 08:23 PM   
You can reference my "980 stuttering in all titles, standard troubleshooting ineffective" here in the 900 forums, has yet to leave the 1st page haha, for some of my personal testing experiences. This is the theory I have come to and first of all need to address CS:GO, you are never going to see any kind of serious GPU usage in that game PERIOD. It cannot in any way put any serious demand on your 970. Depending on the title a lower tier CPU can absolutely bottleneck a modern card but that is due to the game itself being heavily CPU dependent and coded like garbage, my 4790k gets bottlenecked in Red Orchestra 2 constantly. Therein lies your problem, older titles (especially dx9, older UE3, and source) that cannot put any serious load onto the GPU (the problem is exacerbated when the CPU is in fact bottlenecked by the engine) will show massive frametime variance (or stuttering as many call it). I experience this with my 980, I finally got ahold of a modern and well coded title in Tomb Raider that is NOT CPU dependent (utilizes multiple cores quite well, developers take note!) and my testing showed the following. On ultra settings on my 144hz monitor without vsync (so allowing my system to work the hardest it can) I had NO stuttering and almost flawless frametimes (if you didnt know frametimes determine how the game actually plays you can have 60fps which sshould have about a 16ms frametime, when your frametime spikes to over 30 the game now feels as if it is at a sub 30 framerate despite FRAPS or whatever FPS counter you are using still reporting a high framerate). The GPU usage was consistently at 99% percent and did not fluctuate Using the exact same test changing my refresh rate on my monitor and in game to 60hz and setting adaptive V-sync and triple buffering on caused stuttering and frametime spiking despite maintaining a constant 60fps. These spikes in frametime seemed to correlate with the fluctuating GPU power and usage due to V-sync not allowing the card to open up at all times. older titles not running smoothly, older games (dx9 im looking at you) tend to utilize the GPU in a very fluctuating manner and due to the higher end nature of the 900 series never utilizing very much of it. I theorize this points to as someone suggested previously an issue with Maxwell's HIGHLY aggressive power saving, even when using "prefer maximum performance" in the NVCP the issue still persists because the USAGE still fluctuates so dramatically in older games the architecture seems to be going into what i could best describe as something similar to a C-State on a CPU every time the GPU usage drops and the stutter occurs in the time it takes to "wake up". I also believe programs such as MSI afterburner which many of us use further exacerbates the problem by imposing software polling and control over the GPU thus further negatively impacting the cards ability to respond to dynamically changing demands.
You can reference my "980 stuttering in all titles, standard troubleshooting ineffective" here in the 900 forums, has yet to leave the 1st page haha, for some of my personal testing experiences. This is the theory I have come to and first of all need to address CS:GO, you are never going to see any kind of serious GPU usage in that game PERIOD. It cannot in any way put any serious demand on your 970. Depending on the title a lower tier CPU can absolutely bottleneck a modern card but that is due to the game itself being heavily CPU dependent and coded like garbage, my 4790k gets bottlenecked in Red Orchestra 2 constantly. Therein lies your problem, older titles (especially dx9, older UE3, and source) that cannot put any serious load onto the GPU (the problem is exacerbated when the CPU is in fact bottlenecked by the engine) will show massive frametime variance (or stuttering as many call it). I experience this with my 980, I finally got ahold of a modern and well coded title in Tomb Raider that is NOT CPU dependent (utilizes multiple cores quite well, developers take note!) and my testing showed the following.

On ultra settings on my 144hz monitor without vsync (so allowing my system to work the hardest it can) I had NO stuttering and almost flawless frametimes (if you didnt know frametimes determine how the game actually plays you can have 60fps which sshould have about a 16ms frametime, when your frametime spikes to over 30 the game now feels as if it is at a sub 30 framerate despite FRAPS or whatever FPS counter you are using still reporting a high framerate). The GPU usage was consistently at 99% percent and did not fluctuate

Using the exact same test changing my refresh rate on my monitor and in game to 60hz and setting adaptive V-sync and triple buffering on caused stuttering and frametime spiking despite maintaining a constant 60fps. These spikes in frametime seemed to correlate with the fluctuating GPU power and usage due to V-sync not allowing the card to open up at all times.

older titles not running smoothly, older games (dx9 im looking at you) tend to utilize the GPU in a very fluctuating manner and due to the higher end nature of the 900 series never utilizing very much of it. I theorize this points to as someone suggested previously an issue with Maxwell's HIGHLY aggressive power saving, even when using "prefer maximum performance" in the NVCP the issue still persists because the USAGE still fluctuates so dramatically in older games the architecture seems to be going into what i could best describe as something similar to a C-State on a CPU every time the GPU usage drops and the stutter occurs in the time it takes to "wake up".

I also believe programs such as MSI afterburner which many of us use further exacerbates the problem by imposing software polling and control over the GPU thus further negatively impacting the cards ability to respond to dynamically changing demands.

CPU: I7 4790K adaptive 4.6ghz @ 1.235v (LOL) Noctua nh-d14 | GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 1070 | MB: ASUS Maximus VII hero | RAM: Corsair vengeance pro 2400mhz CL11 8gb x2 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660w | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 512gb x2 (RAID 0), MX100 250gb, WD Blue 1TB | OS: windows 10 64-bit | Display: ASUS VG248QE (144hz) | Audio: Asus Xonar DGX (Unixonar Low DPC driver) driving Sennheiser PC350 SE's , Schecter KM-7 into a Scarlett Focusrite Solo DI for recording

Posted 03/09/2015 09:03 PM   
Welcome to the club, nvidia boost/powersaving features are crap and enabling "prefer maximum performance" on the nvidia control panel makes little to no difference.
Welcome to the club, nvidia boost/powersaving features are crap and enabling "prefer maximum performance" on the nvidia control panel makes little to no difference.

Intel i5 4690K w/ H100i
Asus Z87M-Plus
Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970
K242HQL (1920x1080@60Hz)
K242HQL (1920x1080@60Hz)
16GB DDR3 2133Mhz 11-11-11-27
Corsair CX600M

Posted 03/10/2015 11:37 AM   
[quote="valbomb"]Welcome to the club, nvidia boost/powersaving features are crap and enabling "prefer maximum performance" on the nvidia control panel makes little to no difference. [/quote] Yup thats also my experience.. enabled it and set everything else on "performance", disabled AA etc and noticed no difference at all.
valbomb said:Welcome to the club, nvidia boost/powersaving features are crap and enabling "prefer maximum performance" on the nvidia control panel makes little to no difference.

Yup thats also my experience.. enabled it and set everything else on "performance", disabled AA etc and noticed no difference at all.

Posted 03/10/2015 04:18 PM   
Maybe one could get around this by editing the card's bios?
Maybe one could get around this by editing the card's bios?

Intel i5 4690K w/ H100i
Asus Z87M-Plus
Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970
K242HQL (1920x1080@60Hz)
K242HQL (1920x1080@60Hz)
16GB DDR3 2133Mhz 11-11-11-27
Corsair CX600M

Posted 03/11/2015 11:27 AM   
bump.. Does anyone have some more ideas? Reinstalled windows 8.1, reinstalled the drivers EXECTLY like the nvidia support told me to, obviously removed all the old drivers just like the nvidia support told me to as well and yet I have the same result, getting unstable 100-250 fps in cs go and the card performs incredibly bad in general..
bump..
Does anyone have some more ideas?
Reinstalled windows 8.1, reinstalled the drivers EXECTLY like the nvidia support told me to, obviously removed all the old drivers just like the nvidia support told me to as well and yet I have the same result, getting unstable 100-250 fps in cs go and the card performs incredibly bad in general..

Posted 04/03/2015 12:24 PM   
[quote="valbomb"]Welcome to the club, nvidia boost/powersaving features are crap and enabling "prefer maximum performance" on the nvidia control panel makes little to no difference. [/quote] yeah no difference, it behaves the same on both settings, and the boost deature is a ****ing joke actually slows your clock down just when you need extra power
valbomb said:Welcome to the club, nvidia boost/powersaving features are crap and enabling "prefer maximum performance" on the nvidia control panel makes little to no difference.

yeah no difference, it behaves the same on both settings, and the boost deature is a ****ing joke actually slows your clock down just when you need extra power

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790k @ 4.5 GHz (1.155v) http://valid.x86.fr/bnwk53 Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, XFIRE/SLI 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz / 4GB PALiT GTX 970 (BOOST 1450Mhz @ 70c MAX) Core Clock http://img.techpowerup.org/150418/nvidia_20150418_201516.png
/ 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD / 2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK / CORSAIR VS-550w POWER SUPPLY
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4100857

Posted 04/03/2015 12:56 PM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top