NVIDIA OpenGL Error Code: 8
  1 / 2    
While playing a few games, most commonly minecraft, I'm experiencing frequent crashes with the following error report: "The NVIDIA OpenGL driver detected a problem with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close. Error code: 8 Would you like to visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help?" The display driver does not appear to be crashing because, while the game exits and that message appears onscreen, the screen does not go black or show any other sign of issues. No other programs that are running appear affected. I'm still testing other games and programs to determine what is affected and what is not. When the problem occurs the GPU temp is around 64C with all CPU cores around 55C. I am currently using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M that was shipped in my Samsung Series 7 Gamer laptop. The driver version is 347.25 which was released on 1/22/15. OS: Windows 8.1 (64-bit) Processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz My two primary suspicions are either: A) Something is wrong with the driver. (Less likely of the two, the problem occurred several days after updating.) B) My GPU is becoming too hot and in one way or another reducing load to prevent damage. This is what I most suspect is causing the problem and also what I most fear because that would indicate a damaged fan. (I do keep the inside of my computer relatively clean. I work in a computer repair shop and dusty motherboards make me cry at night.) Any help or input would be greatly appreciated and solving the issue would make me very very happy. Thank you in advance. *****EDIT***** I had an idea to attempt to stress test my computer a little. I ran EVE online and minecraft at the same time since both games tend to demand a little extra out of my computer as a whole. About five to ten minutes after starting both games, minecraft crashed and the before-mentioned error appeared while nothing happened to EVE. When this occurred my GPU temp was 80C. I hope this little bit of extra information is useful. I will add more if/when more is available. *****EDIT 2***** I rolled back my driver to 347.09 and that seems to have fixed the issue. So as VeryBadAI (awesome name by the way) said it is without a doubt a driver issue. Which means this is sort of solved...?
While playing a few games, most commonly minecraft, I'm experiencing frequent crashes with the following error report:

"The NVIDIA OpenGL driver detected a problem with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close.

Error code: 8
Would you like to visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help?"

The display driver does not appear to be crashing because, while the game exits and that message appears onscreen, the screen does not go black or show any other sign of issues. No other programs that are running appear affected. I'm still testing other games and programs to determine what is affected and what is not.

When the problem occurs the GPU temp is around 64C with all CPU cores around 55C.

I am currently using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M that was shipped in my Samsung Series 7 Gamer laptop.

The driver version is 347.25 which was released on 1/22/15.

Processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz

My two primary suspicions are either:
A) Something is wrong with the driver. (Less likely of the two, the problem occurred several days after updating.)
B) My GPU is becoming too hot and in one way or another reducing load to prevent damage. This is what I most suspect is causing the problem and also what I most fear because that would indicate a damaged fan. (I do keep the inside of my computer relatively clean. I work in a computer repair shop and dusty motherboards make me cry at night.)

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated and solving the issue would make me very very happy.

Thank you in advance.

*****EDIT*****
I had an idea to attempt to stress test my computer a little.

I ran EVE online and minecraft at the same time since both games tend to demand a little extra out of my computer as a whole. About five to ten minutes after starting both games, minecraft crashed and the before-mentioned error appeared while nothing happened to EVE. When this occurred my GPU temp was 80C.

I hope this little bit of extra information is useful. I will add more if/when more is available.

*****EDIT 2*****
I rolled back my driver to 347.09 and that seems to have fixed the issue. So as VeryBadAI (awesome name by the way) said it is without a doubt a driver issue. Which means this is sort of solved...?

Posted 02/02/2015 02:28 AM   
Just to add to your post, I too have this exact error code. It all started with the 344.XX drivers (for me at least) , and has been an issue since then with any OpenGL programs. I'm positive it's a driver issue. I have 2 GTX 770 4Gb cards running in SLI. SLI doesn't affect the error in any way. Using Win7 x64.
Just to add to your post, I too have this exact error code. It all started with the 344.XX drivers (for me at least) , and has been an issue since then with any OpenGL programs. I'm positive it's a driver issue.

I have 2 GTX 770 4Gb cards running in SLI. SLI doesn't affect the error in any way.
Using Win7 x64.

Posted 02/04/2015 06:28 AM   
I have the same problem, and it occurs at random while playing minecraft. I have tried the last 3 version of the drivers and the error is still present. (from 344.75 to 347.25) I have a GTX 970.
I have the same problem, and it occurs at random while playing minecraft. I have tried the last 3 version of the drivers and the error is still present. (from 344.75 to 347.25)

I have a GTX 970.

Posted 02/10/2015 01:56 AM   
I would just like to add that I have also been having this problem in the last few months. I have a GTX 970 and am currently using driver version 347.52 and the issue is STILL prevalent! I had hoped this latest driver would correct the issue but sadly it had not. All other games work flawlessly but for some reason Minecraft will crash with a black screen and the error that the other posters have listed. I will restart the game and it will happen again at a random point....after several times of this it seems to happen sooner and sooner until you can't play 5 minutes without it happening. When it gets to this point I restart my computer and it works again for a random amount of time (usually a day or two) before the process starts again. Can anyone address this issue?!?!? I mean Minecraft is not exactly a fringe game only a few people play!
I would just like to add that I have also been having this problem in the last few months. I have a GTX 970 and am currently using driver version 347.52 and the issue is STILL prevalent! I had hoped this latest driver would correct the issue but sadly it had not. All other games work flawlessly but for some reason Minecraft will crash with a black screen and the error that the other posters have listed. I will restart the game and it will happen again at a random point....after several times of this it seems to happen sooner and sooner until you can't play 5 minutes without it happening. When it gets to this point I restart my computer and it works again for a random amount of time (usually a day or two) before the process starts again.

Can anyone address this issue?!?!? I mean Minecraft is not exactly a fringe game only a few people play!

Posted 02/14/2015 10:03 PM   
I'm having the same issue. GTX 980. 347.52 driver version.
I'm having the same issue. GTX 980. 347.52 driver version.

Posted 02/17/2015 02:18 AM   
PALIT NVIDIA GTX 970 WIN 8.1 64BIT I just bought 2 pc for work, with this graphic card, and when I use the software Cinema 4D they freeze with that error. I tried everything! Nvidia has to give us a solution, I spent a lot of money and now I'm spending a lot of time for this problem! I thought to buy a great card but now I cannot use my pc..
PALIT NVIDIA GTX 970
WIN 8.1 64BIT

I just bought 2 pc for work, with this graphic card, and when I use the software Cinema 4D they freeze with that error. I tried everything!

Nvidia has to give us a solution, I spent a lot of money and now I'm spending a lot of time for this problem!
I thought to buy a great card but now I cannot use my pc..

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K @3.5GHz
Mainboard: Asus X99-A (Intel X99 chipset)
Graphics: Palit GeForce GTX 970 (4096MB/256bit @1051MHz)
RAM: Crucial 4x8GB DDR4-2133 CL15 1.2V
PSU: LC6650GP3 V2.3 650W
Monitor: Philips 234E5QDAB/00 (23" Full HD AH-IPS LED Display)

Posted 02/20/2015 07:49 PM   
[quote="patavinus"]PALIT NVIDIA GTX 970 WIN 8.1 64BIT I just bought 2 pc for work, with this graphic card, and when I use the software Cinema 4D they freeze with that error. I tried everything! Nvidia has to give us a solution, I spent a lot of money and now I'm spending a lot of time for this problem! I thought to buy a great card but now I cannot use my pc..[/quote] I know how you feel. If it is any comfort, you DID buy a very nice video card. Sadly, the drivers are not the greatest right now for some applications. It is obvious that this is a fairly common bug and it is also fairly obvious that this is an issue with the drivers since the last several releases. The thing that bothers me is that there is NO response from Nvidia on this issue and not apparent progress or effort on a fix in many drivers revisions. An official response just to acknowledge the issue would be nice!
patavinus said:PALIT NVIDIA GTX 970
WIN 8.1 64BIT

I just bought 2 pc for work, with this graphic card, and when I use the software Cinema 4D they freeze with that error. I tried everything!

Nvidia has to give us a solution, I spent a lot of money and now I'm spending a lot of time for this problem!
I thought to buy a great card but now I cannot use my pc..

I know how you feel. If it is any comfort, you DID buy a very nice video card. Sadly, the drivers are not the greatest right now for some applications. It is obvious that this is a fairly common bug and it is also fairly obvious that this is an issue with the drivers since the last several releases. The thing that bothers me is that there is NO response from Nvidia on this issue and not apparent progress or effort on a fix in many drivers revisions.

An official response just to acknowledge the issue would be nice!

Posted 02/22/2015 09:39 PM   
I have a similar issue that I would like to point out. I can play minecraft 1.8-1.8.3 if I Disable sli. Otherwise it will crash in 10 seconds or 10 minutes, it is different every time. Using minecraft 1.7.9 or older and the problem goes away. I can play with sli this way.
I have a similar issue that I would like to point out. I can play minecraft 1.8-1.8.3 if I Disable sli. Otherwise it will crash in 10 seconds or 10 minutes, it is different every time.

Using minecraft 1.7.9 or older and the problem goes away. I can play with sli this way.

Posted 02/25/2015 06:24 AM   
While it's reassuring that this is indeed likely just a driver issue, it is less reassuring that it seems to be hanging around. Keep getting this in Minecraft 1.8.3, not noticed it in anything else (so far at least). It gets [i]seriously[/i] worse if I switch into spectator mode, for that that is worth. Seems to affect a lot of cards too, as I'm using a GTX 750 Ti here. Come on nvidia, we expect better from ya. This is the first real mark against nvidia I can recall in over 10 years of gaming with GeForce cards.
While it's reassuring that this is indeed likely just a driver issue, it is less reassuring that it seems to be hanging around.

Keep getting this in Minecraft 1.8.3, not noticed it in anything else (so far at least). It gets seriously worse if I switch into spectator mode, for that that is worth.

Seems to affect a lot of cards too, as I'm using a GTX 750 Ti here.

Come on nvidia, we expect better from ya. This is the first real mark against nvidia I can recall in over 10 years of gaming with GeForce cards.

Posted 02/26/2015 12:04 AM   
Initially I thought it was just minecraft itself, 1.8 versions being broken on nvidia equipped computers. However, I believe it is a driver issue now, because users have reported switching to a really old driver fixes the problem. Additionally, I haven't heard any ati/amd users complain about this problem.
Initially I thought it was just minecraft itself, 1.8 versions being broken on nvidia equipped computers. However, I believe it is a driver issue now, because users have reported switching to a really old driver fixes the problem.

Additionally, I haven't heard any ati/amd users complain about this problem.

Posted 02/26/2015 03:29 AM   
I am having the exact same error and have the latest driver and have tried older drivers and still no fix and its been happing for awile and just with this game So im wondering y nvidi is not even replying to comments or tryin to fix the problem will never buy another graphics card from u guys agin
I am having the exact same error and have the latest driver and have tried older drivers and still no fix and its been happing for awile and just with this game So im wondering y nvidi is not even replying to comments or tryin to fix the problem will never buy another graphics card from u guys agin

Posted 03/01/2015 04:31 PM   
[quote="Metus6"]Initially I thought it was just minecraft itself, 1.8 versions being broken on nvidia equipped computers. However, I believe it is a driver issue now, because users have reported switching to a really old driver fixes the problem. Additionally, I haven't heard any ati/amd users complain about this problem.[/quote] I do not think the version of Minecraft plays much into it as I am having the issue with mods running version 1.7. Just an official word on this would be great.
Metus6 said:Initially I thought it was just minecraft itself, 1.8 versions being broken on nvidia equipped computers. However, I believe it is a driver issue now, because users have reported switching to a really old driver fixes the problem.

Additionally, I haven't heard any ati/amd users complain about this problem.

I do not think the version of Minecraft plays much into it as I am having the issue with mods running version 1.7. Just an official word on this would be great.

Posted 03/02/2015 07:07 AM   
Hi, I wanted to add something: I ONLY get this error when: 1. I have YouTube anywhere in my browser (tested Firefox and Chrome), even if it's not an active tab OR 2. I start Thunderbird (MC crashes immediately) Edit: 3. Windows Photo Viewer Without YouTube or Thunderbird my Minecraft runs just fine. Can someone else try that out please?
Hi, I wanted to add something: I ONLY get this error when:
1. I have YouTube anywhere in my browser (tested Firefox and Chrome), even if it's not an active tab
OR
2. I start Thunderbird (MC crashes immediately)

Edit:
3. Windows Photo Viewer

Without YouTube or Thunderbird my Minecraft runs just fine.
Can someone else try that out please?

Posted 03/20/2015 10:04 PM   
Same problem since i've bought a NVIDEA card 2 weeks ago. Please come with a solution or i'll have to send my card back.
Same problem since i've bought a NVIDEA card 2 weeks ago.

Please come with a solution or i'll have to send my card back.

Posted 05/07/2015 07:36 PM   
Also having this issue Geforce 970 Current Driver version:352.86 Disabling CUDA and Threaded optimization had no effect
Also having this issue
Geforce 970
Current Driver version:352.86
Disabling CUDA and Threaded optimization had no effect

Posted 05/23/2015 04:05 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top