MSi GTX 770 fan speed going up and down
  1 / 6    
Hey guys, I have an MSi GTX 770 and the fans wont stop going up and down in speed. Check the following screenshots for any information you may need, this is driving me nuts! Its been good for MONTHS and now all of a sudden. [URL]http://imgur.com/pgyA76g,GKgNGj7[/URL] [URL]http://imgur.com/pgyA76g,GKgNGj7#1[/URL]
Hey guys, I have an MSi GTX 770 and the fans wont stop going up and down in speed.

Check the following screenshots for any information you may need, this is driving me nuts! Its been good for MONTHS and now all of a sudden.

http://imgur.com/pgyA76g,GKgNGj7
http://imgur.com/pgyA76g,GKgNGj7#1

Posted 01/23/2015 02:15 PM   
Did you try to set fan speed to manually in MSI Afterburner? Try to set manually fan speed curve in MSI Afterburner.
Did you try to set fan speed to manually in MSI Afterburner? Try to set manually fan speed curve in MSI Afterburner.

i7 4770k - Corsair H110
Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC
Asus RoG Maximus VII Hero
G.Skill RipJaws-X 16GB 1866Mhz cl9
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
WD Blue 1TB
Corsair CX600
Corsair Obsidian 650D

Posted 01/23/2015 02:52 PM   
Yes ive even turned the fans to 100% and it will till ride up and down
Yes ive even turned the fans to 100% and it will till ride up and down

Posted 01/23/2015 03:14 PM   
I just installed the new version of msi afterburner and set a fan map, and it fixed it. It must have been an older version causing the hiccup...
I just installed the new version of msi afterburner and set a fan map, and it fixed it. It must have been an older version causing the hiccup...

Posted 01/23/2015 03:18 PM   
Annnnnnddd I lied, its back....
Annnnnnddd I lied, its back....

Posted 01/23/2015 03:26 PM   
Update - Looks like the issue is with MSI afterburner, I lowered the memory clock down to the minimum and the core clock and it stopped.
Update - Looks like the issue is with MSI afterburner, I lowered the memory clock down to the minimum and the core clock and it stopped.

Posted 01/23/2015 03:31 PM   
Issue is still occuring, I cant figure out whats causing it, I thought it was MSI afterburner but its not - I dont know what to do anymore =/
Issue is still occuring, I cant figure out whats causing it, I thought it was MSI afterburner but its not - I dont know what to do anymore =/

Posted 01/24/2015 11:24 PM   
I have had the exact same issue with my EVGA GTX 770 (02G-P4-2774-KR) for the past few months as well. All driver versions after 344.11 have exhibited this issue. I am currently running the latest driver as well, which is 347.52. The fans continually go from 1320RPM, to 1350, then 1380, and then back down to 1320. It just keeps going up and down - it's quite annoying. My machine is right next to me on the desk and the fans going up and down are quite loud. I don't know what to do - I've tried MSI Afterburner to set a static speed and that doesn't fix it either.
I have had the exact same issue with my EVGA GTX 770 (02G-P4-2774-KR) for the past few months as well. All driver versions after 344.11 have exhibited this issue. I am currently running the latest driver as well, which is 347.52.

The fans continually go from 1320RPM, to 1350, then 1380, and then back down to 1320. It just keeps going up and down - it's quite annoying. My machine is right next to me on the desk and the fans going up and down are quite loud. I don't know what to do - I've tried MSI Afterburner to set a static speed and that doesn't fix it either.

Intel Core i5-4670 @ 3.4GHz
ASUS Z87-PRO
Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 16GB (4x4GB)
Samsung 840 EVO SSD
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Windows 8.1 64-bit

Posted 02/11/2015 06:55 PM   
Anybody have any idea on this issue?
Anybody have any idea on this issue?

ASUS Z87-PRO
Samsung 840 EVO SSD
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Windows 8.1 64-bit

Posted 02/21/2015 12:45 AM   
I have tried to fix this by reinstalling windows and have the drivers installed before windows get the chance to install anything but still the same problem. I reinstalled windows and that did not fix it, but the card did behave normaly intill i installed the drivers. I am now using my ATI card even tho it is a older one because i can't believe this is good for the fans on my 770 that they go up and down like this all day. Is nvidia looking in to this?
I have tried to fix this by reinstalling windows and have the drivers installed before windows get the chance to install anything but still the same problem. I reinstalled windows and that did not fix it, but the card did behave normaly intill i installed the drivers. I am now using my ATI card even tho it is a older one because i can't believe this is good for the fans on my 770 that they go up and down like this all day.

Is nvidia looking in to this?

Posted 02/23/2015 10:52 PM   
Zotac GTX 770. Same problem after install 347.25 driver. Reinstall old drivers/ MSI Afterburner not help.
Zotac GTX 770.
Same problem after install 347.25 driver. Reinstall old drivers/ MSI Afterburner not help.

Posted 02/24/2015 02:47 PM   
I hope Nvidia acknowledges this and fixes it sometime soon... This is incredibly irritating.
I hope Nvidia acknowledges this and fixes it sometime soon... This is incredibly irritating.

ASUS Z87-PRO
Samsung 840 EVO SSD
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Windows 8.1 64-bit

Posted 03/01/2015 10:35 PM   
Thread bump... would appreciate some sort of input or advice...
Thread bump... would appreciate some sort of input or advice...

ASUS Z87-PRO
Samsung 840 EVO SSD
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Windows 8.1 64-bit

Posted 03/14/2015 11:48 PM   
Anyone solve problem ?
Anyone solve problem ?

Posted 04/26/2015 11:44 AM   
Constant fan cycling is not an across the board issue with GTX770, and it's not a driver problem. It may be some cards, or particular brands have the problem more commonly than others. It could just be a bad fan speed curve, or perhaps a problem in the VBIOS ? This is assuming the cards temps are stable (they usually hit a peak and stay within aoubt 5C of that while under load) and below say, 80C. [s]- If using a fixed fan speed does not stop the fan cycling up and down, I would expect there is a fault, and would be applying for an RMA, or maybe reinstall the VBIOS (but only after getting approval from the mfg when applying for an RMA).[/s] [See Akella's post next page] Cards that have too shallow a fan curve used to be fairly common. Especially those with reference coolers, as the mfg's tried to keep the noise from the turbo fans down. When they hold back too long on ramping the fan speed it will cause the fans cycle up and down when under the load of running a game, but this can generally be fixed by creating a new fan speed profile which uses higher fan speeds at lower temps. Stock cpu coolers often do the same. - My EVGA GTX770's fans were a bit loud, so I set up a fan speed profile as below. These fans start getting a bit too loud after 70%, so I set them to 67% @50C. This keeps the gpu temps in a more 'comfortable' range. The card does not often go over 75C, even with speed only up another 3% @70C, so most of the time the fans are about the same volume as the rest of the system. [img]http://i.imgur.com/ePf9fBk.jpg[/img]
Constant fan cycling is not an across the board issue with GTX770, and it's not a driver problem.
It may be some cards, or particular brands have the problem more commonly than others.
It could just be a bad fan speed curve, or perhaps a problem in the VBIOS ?
This is assuming the cards temps are stable (they usually hit a peak and stay within aoubt 5C of that while
under load) and below say, 80C.

- If using a fixed fan speed does not stop the fan cycling up and down, I would expect there is a fault,
and would be applying for an RMA, or maybe reinstall the VBIOS
(but only after getting approval from the mfg when applying for an RMA).

[See Akella's post next page]

Cards that have too shallow a fan curve used to be fairly common. Especially those with reference coolers,
as the mfg's tried to keep the noise from the turbo fans down.
When they hold back too long on ramping the fan speed it will cause the fans cycle up and down when under the load of running a game, but this can generally be fixed by creating a new fan speed profile which uses higher fan speeds at lower temps.
Stock cpu coolers often do the same.

- My EVGA GTX770's fans were a bit loud, so I set up a fan speed profile as below.
These fans start getting a bit too loud after 70%, so I set them to 67% @50C.
This keeps the gpu temps in a more 'comfortable' range. The card does not often go over 75C, even with speed only up another 3% @70C, so most of the time the fans are about the same volume as the rest of the system.

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 04/26/2015 12:54 PM   
  1 / 6    
Scroll To Top