GTX 970 3.5GB Vram Issue
  177 / 438    
[quote="gogo2"][quote="deoxys987"]So whats to make of this? is Nvidia going to start Recalling some cards? Is there going to be an update to fix this? or do they need to recall cards? [/quote] The card is working as intended. Why would nVidia want to recall them? The 4GB is there. Just that the 0.5GB have shared Memory Controller. Since this is hardware design, there won't be any fix. Let me say that again to you. There won't be any fix to the hardware design because IT IS HARDWARE DESIGN. The only thing nVidia will do is to stabilize the frame drop if more than 3.5GB usage.[/quote]Oh, heck no! Nvidia will never admit to any wrong doing. Doesn't mean they won't pay for it anyway... Bumpgate anyone?
gogo2 said:
deoxys987 said:So whats to make of this? is Nvidia going to start Recalling some cards? Is there going to be an update to fix this? or do they need to recall cards?

The card is working as intended. Why would nVidia want to recall them? The 4GB is there. Just that the 0.5GB have shared Memory Controller.

Since this is hardware design, there won't be any fix. Let me say that again to you. There won't be any fix to the hardware design because IT IS HARDWARE DESIGN.

The only thing nVidia will do is to stabilize the frame drop if more than 3.5GB usage.
Oh, heck no! Nvidia will never admit to any wrong doing. Doesn't mean they won't pay for it anyway... Bumpgate anyone?

Posted 01/28/2015 06:33 AM   
To people asking if this will be fixed by drivers 100%: Your answer is no. The physical hardware is different. For the rest of you, my thoughts on the matter at hand while trying to keep both sides of the issue in discussion tl;dr at the bottom. Regardless of morality of the marketing, I would guess most people bought the card because of performance reviews. Those measures are still accurate, the issue of inaccurate reporting of ROPS and VRAM do not affect those tests results. This does not justify Nvidia lying to their customers, those reviews were listing specs Nvidia knew to be false. In addition, if the only defense against inaccuracies in marketing is difference in practical performance why should that apply exclusively to technology? If I bought clothes that had good reviews and said they were 100% cotton but it came out they were 50% cotton 50% nylon, with the companies defense being "the clothes are the same as they always were, good clothes" I think we can all see where that would go. I try to see this from the Nvidia perspective as well, seeing as almost everyone at Nvidia was undoubtedly an [b]unknowing[/b accomplice. Whether there is malice behind the marketing or not does not change that it happened, though it may provide a modicum of consolation for those who feel insulted at being taken advantage of. My initial thought when I heard about all this was a gut wrenching punch of anxiety. I purchased a Gigabyte GTX 970 only about 2 days before this debacle started. I've since thought about it a considerable amount and I have come to the conclusion that I would have bought the card regardless of if the specs had been "corrected" at the time. To the people who swing around measurements of benchmarks such as NAI's, consider this; You likely purchased the GTX 970 based on performance reviews by places like GPUBoss, or aggregate statistics from places like Passmark. The performance of the card is no different than it was when you looked at those numbers. While I understand rancorous sentiments towards Nvidia and those responsible, I encourage those concerned with performance to take an objective look at what the difference really means for you. I believe where most people feel they deserve some recognition/recompense from Nvidia is from an emotional standpoint rather than because of a technical detail. The principle of the matter, if you will. Nvidia has been a very transparent developer for a good time now, and this overlooked "detail" shakes people's previously rock solid faith in Nvidia. I know prior to this incident I wholeheartedly recommended Nvidia graphics cards to anyone and everyone who would listen. While I still believe the GTX 970 to be one of the best performance/price cards on the market, I can say I will not recommend a Nvidia card in the near future without doing huge amounts of research. If these "details" can be overlooked in the GTX 970, what skeletons reside in the closets of other Nvidia cards? I've lost a good amount of faith I had placed in the company. I am completely disappointed rather than vehemently upset, and as such I expect no recompense from Nvidia, they have already paid a price in my level of respect for them. Should Nvidia come out and say that there was a mistake rather than this was "working as intended" and offer subsidized upgrades or partial refunds, I would feel significantly better about the issue. Knowing Nvidia can admit when they screw up I would have some faith restored, regardless of how I myself would not be likely to pursue those options. Please note that I understand that this was not the fault of the majority of Nvidia employees. In any case like this, it can come off hostile to speak poorly of a company someone works for and is likely passionate about. I do not intend to come off as hostile or threatening, and my grievances only lie with the Nvidia Corporation itself and employees who were aware but chose to do nothing. Companies are like teams in that everyone is liable to be subject to judgement based on other members. tldr; In conclusion, while initially angry about this communication error I decided that the specifications change would not have significantly influenced my decision to buy the card. As a result of that, I ask no direct recompense of Nvidia as the performance did not change. The only "specification" that changed in my viewpoint is my level of trust and respect for Nvidia.
To people asking if this will be fixed by drivers 100%: Your answer is no. The physical hardware is different.

For the rest of you, my thoughts on the matter at hand while trying to keep both sides of the issue in discussion
tl;dr at the bottom.

Regardless of morality of the marketing, I would guess most people bought the card because of performance reviews. Those measures are still accurate, the issue of inaccurate reporting of ROPS and VRAM do not affect those tests results.

This does not justify Nvidia lying to their customers, those reviews were listing specs Nvidia knew to be false. In addition, if the only defense against inaccuracies in marketing is difference in practical performance why should that apply exclusively to technology? If I bought clothes that had good reviews and said they were 100% cotton but it came out they were 50% cotton 50% nylon, with the companies defense being "the clothes are the same as they always were, good clothes" I think we can all see where that would go.

I try to see this from the Nvidia perspective as well, seeing as almost everyone at Nvidia was undoubtedly an [b]unknowing[/b accomplice. Whether there is malice behind the marketing or not does not change that it happened, though it may provide a modicum of consolation for those who feel insulted at being taken advantage of.

My initial thought when I heard about all this was a gut wrenching punch of anxiety. I purchased a Gigabyte GTX 970 only about 2 days before this debacle started. I've since thought about it a considerable amount and I have come to the conclusion that I would have bought the card regardless of if the specs had been "corrected" at the time.

To the people who swing around measurements of benchmarks such as NAI's, consider this; You likely purchased the GTX 970 based on performance reviews by places like GPUBoss, or aggregate statistics from places like Passmark. The performance of the card is no different than it was when you looked at those numbers. While I understand rancorous sentiments towards Nvidia and those responsible, I encourage those concerned with performance to take an objective look at what the difference really means for you.

I believe where most people feel they deserve some recognition/recompense from Nvidia is from an emotional standpoint rather than because of a technical detail. The principle of the matter, if you will.

Nvidia has been a very transparent developer for a good time now, and this overlooked "detail" shakes people's previously rock solid faith in Nvidia. I know prior to this incident I wholeheartedly recommended Nvidia graphics cards to anyone and everyone who would listen. While I still believe the GTX 970 to be one of the best performance/price cards on the market, I can say I will not recommend a Nvidia card in the near future without doing huge amounts of research. If these "details" can be overlooked in the GTX 970, what skeletons reside in the closets of other Nvidia cards?

I've lost a good amount of faith I had placed in the company. I am completely disappointed rather than vehemently upset, and as such I expect no recompense from Nvidia, they have already paid a price in my level of respect for them.

Should Nvidia come out and say that there was a mistake rather than this was "working as intended" and offer subsidized upgrades or partial refunds, I would feel significantly better about the issue. Knowing Nvidia can admit when they screw up I would have some faith restored, regardless of how I myself would not be likely to pursue those options.

Please note that I understand that this was not the fault of the majority of Nvidia employees. In any case like this, it can come off hostile to speak poorly of a company someone works for and is likely passionate about. I do not intend to come off as hostile or threatening, and my grievances only lie with the Nvidia Corporation itself and employees who were aware but chose to do nothing. Companies are like teams in that everyone is liable to be subject to judgement based on other members.

tldr;
In conclusion, while initially angry about this communication error I decided that the specifications change would not have significantly influenced my decision to buy the card. As a result of that, I ask no direct recompense of Nvidia as the performance did not change. The only "specification" that changed in my viewpoint is my level of trust and respect for Nvidia.

Posted 01/28/2015 06:38 AM   
[quote="PeterS@NVIDIA"][quote="meritmaster"] Is there anyway you can talk to gigabyte, and help me get them to upgrade me to a GTX 980, so i can just do what i originally was looking to do? I don't even want to be in this situation, but i am, so please help me somehow! I really can't afford another card, and this will leave a stale taste in my mouth from Nividia for a while :s[/quote] I'll help out however I can. Shoot me a PM with the details.[/quote] Is there anyway I can get a refund if I purchased my two Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970s from Tigerdirect when they first released 4 months ago?
PeterS@NVIDIA said:
meritmaster said:

Is there anyway you can talk to gigabyte, and help me get them to upgrade me to a GTX 980, so i can just do what i originally was looking to do? I don't even want to be in this situation, but i am, so please help me somehow! I really can't afford another card, and this will leave a stale taste in my mouth from Nividia for a while :s

I'll help out however I can. Shoot me a PM with the details.

Is there anyway I can get a refund if I purchased my two Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970s from Tigerdirect when they first released 4 months ago?

Posted 01/28/2015 06:40 AM   
[quote="PeterS@NVIDIA"][quote="Zynn"] There are 8800 employees with NVIDIA. May I ask what your actual title is with the company?[/quote] Yes. --Peter Sierant Senior Director of Customer Care NVIDIA Corporation, Santa Clara CA 408-486-2000[/quote] I live in San Jose. Could we meet personally so you can swap out my 970 for a 980?...Please?
PeterS@NVIDIA said:
Zynn said:

There are 8800 employees with NVIDIA. May I ask what your actual title is with the company?

Yes.

--Peter Sierant
Senior Director of Customer Care
NVIDIA Corporation, Santa Clara CA
408-486-2000

I live in San Jose. Could we meet personally so you can swap out my 970 for a 980?...Please?

Posted 01/28/2015 06:45 AM   
No direct rma for msi in europe. Ah well atleast there is eu... http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm This 2-year guarantee is only your minimum right and national rules in your country may give you extra protection. Remember that any deviation from EU rules must always be to the consumer's benefit. If an item you bought anywhere in the EU turns out to be faulty or does not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace it free of charge or give you a full refund or reduction in price. In some EU countries you will be offered the choice between all four remedies from the outset. Otherwise you will be able to ask for a full or partial refund only when it is not possible or convenient to repair or replace the item. And bear in mind that you might not be entitled to a refund if the problem is minor, such as a scratch on a CD case. The two-year guarantee period starts as soon as you receive your goods. In some EU countries you must inform the seller of the fault within two months of discovering it otherwise you may lose your right to the guarantee. Within six months from receipt of the goods, you just need to show the trader that they are faulty or not as advertised. But, after six months in most EU countries you also need to prove yourself that the defect already existed on receipt of the goods, for example, by showing that the defect is due to the poor quality of materials used.
No direct rma for msi in europe.
Ah well atleast there is eu...

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm

This 2-year guarantee is only your minimum right and national rules in your country may give you extra protection. Remember that any deviation from EU rules must always be to the consumer's benefit.

If an item you bought anywhere in the EU turns out to be faulty or does not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace it free of charge or give you a full refund or reduction in price. In some EU countries you will be offered the choice between all four remedies from the outset. Otherwise you will be able to ask for a full or partial refund only when it is not possible or convenient to repair or replace the item.

And bear in mind that you might not be entitled to a refund if the problem is minor, such as a scratch on a CD case.

The two-year guarantee period starts as soon as you receive your goods. In some EU countries you must inform the seller of the fault within two months of discovering it otherwise you may lose your right to the guarantee.

Within six months from receipt of the goods, you just need to show the trader that they are faulty or not as advertised. But, after six months in most EU countries you also need to prove yourself that the defect already existed on receipt of the goods, for example, by showing that the defect is due to the poor quality of materials used.

i7 4790k phanteks ph-tc14pe with 3x Noctua NF-A14 3000 pwm
Msi 970 GTX gaming 4g 3gb + 1gb of turd
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
16gb ddr3 2400mhz

Posted 01/28/2015 06:47 AM   
[quote="Dadasmithywinkle"][quote="PeterS@NVIDIA"][quote="glr123"]Hi Peter, thanks for the comments. It's great to hear from someone at nvidia. For many of us, this card is awesome and the performance impact of this new information and potential effects on 'longevity' is really disheartening. I, personally, don't have the resources to purchase a new GPU every other year and we are concerned about the implications of the disabled L2 cache and bandwidth access. Had we known these specifications, I am sure many would have considered their options more carefully. Does nvidia have any plans to facilitate upgrades to a 980 or some sort of voucher for future products? This issue may necessitate purchasing of a new GPU earlier than some of us would have hoped and some sort of upgrade/voucher/recycle program seems like an option that would satisfy many of us. Thanks, glr123[/quote] I totally get it. But since we don't actually sell cards directly (aside from a limited run at Best Buy), I can't force our partners to do vouchers or anything like that. To be extra clear, I think the GTX970 is a great card and honestly don't believe there is a better card for the price. If you are unhappy for whatever reason, talk to your board mfgr and give them a chance to help you out. If that route fails, let me know and I'll try to help.[/quote] Hey Peter, I've been reading through the last 7 pages or so and wanted to say that there is a reason why you hold a senior position. You not only care about the product, but also about the people that buy the product. That's pretty awesome. Having said that, I had a question or two of my own. Back in January or so, I picked up one of the nVidia reference cards from Best Buy. It ran/runs fine at 1080p, but when running DSR stepped up to 1440p or 4K, it's not pretty. So, I bought a second one from my nearby Best Buy to see if SLI would be better (along with the 3-way SLI bridge off the nVidia website). It turns out that "The Crew" and ran worse in 1440p DSR with two 970's than with one - screen tearing galore. While the reference cards are simply gorgeous and I have a dead 770 on my shelf because of the gnarly cooler design, this isn't what I'd expect from a $370 card, sweet spot or not. So, to get to my point, I have one of the few nVidia-produced 970's. 1) Is there any way to exchange it for a 980? I use a Xeon so I'd be in the same boat as the other guy that posted earlier - dead in the water until I had a new card. And 2) If I were to be able to get the reference 980, is there a possibility of discount? Thanks for your help to those on the forum and with my issues as well. [/quote] Shoot me a PM with the details and we'll see what we can do.
Dadasmithywinkle said:
PeterS@NVIDIA said:
glr123 said:Hi Peter, thanks for the comments. It's great to hear from someone at nvidia. For many of us, this card is awesome and the performance impact of this new information and potential effects on 'longevity' is really disheartening. I, personally, don't have the resources to purchase a new GPU every other year and we are concerned about the implications of the disabled L2 cache and bandwidth access.

Had we known these specifications, I am sure many would have considered their options more carefully. Does nvidia have any plans to facilitate upgrades to a 980 or some sort of voucher for future products? This issue may necessitate purchasing of a new GPU earlier than some of us would have hoped and some sort of upgrade/voucher/recycle program seems like an option that would satisfy many of us.

Thanks,
glr123

I totally get it. But since we don't actually sell cards directly (aside from a limited run at Best Buy), I can't force our partners to do vouchers or anything like that.

To be extra clear, I think the GTX970 is a great card and honestly don't believe there is a better card for the price. If you are unhappy for whatever reason, talk to your board mfgr and give them a chance to help you out. If that route fails, let me know and I'll try to help.

Hey Peter,

I've been reading through the last 7 pages or so and wanted to say that there is a reason why you hold a senior position. You not only care about the product, but also about the people that buy the product. That's pretty awesome.

Having said that, I had a question or two of my own. Back in January or so, I picked up one of the nVidia reference cards from Best Buy. It ran/runs fine at 1080p, but when running DSR stepped up to 1440p or 4K, it's not pretty. So, I bought a second one from my nearby Best Buy to see if SLI would be better (along with the 3-way SLI bridge off the nVidia website). It turns out that "The Crew" and ran worse in 1440p DSR with two 970's than with one - screen tearing galore. While the reference cards are simply gorgeous and I have a dead 770 on my shelf because of the gnarly cooler design, this isn't what I'd expect from a $370 card, sweet spot or not. So, to get to my point, I have one of the few nVidia-produced 970's. 1) Is there any way to exchange it for a 980? I use a Xeon so I'd be in the same boat as the other guy that posted earlier - dead in the water until I had a new card. And 2) If I were to be able to get the reference 980, is there a possibility of discount?

Thanks for your help to those on the forum and with my issues as well.

Shoot me a PM with the details and we'll see what we can do.

[quote="acezgutter"][quote="PeterS@NVIDIA"][quote="Zynn"] There are 8800 employees with NVIDIA. May I ask what your actual title is with the company?[/quote] Yes. --Peter Sierant Senior Director of Customer Care NVIDIA Corporation, Santa Clara CA 408-486-2000[/quote] I live in San Jose. Could we meet personally so you can swap out my 970 for a 980?...Please?[/quote] He isn't directly giving refunds, rebates, replacements, etc. He is merely volunteering to act as ambassador to the manufactures.
acezgutter said:
PeterS@NVIDIA said:
Zynn said:

There are 8800 employees with NVIDIA. May I ask what your actual title is with the company?

Yes.

--Peter Sierant
408-486-2000

I live in San Jose. Could we meet personally so you can swap out my 970 for a 980?...Please?

He isn't directly giving refunds, rebates, replacements, etc. He is merely volunteering to act as ambassador to the manufactures.

[quote="SimplyDelicious"]Should I contact my retailer, or MSI regarding the potential exchange/refund? I've never been in this situation before, so I'm not quite sure.[/quote] It's best to start with wherever you bought it from, and if that's not an option then work with the board manufacturer. Let me know if you get stuck.
SimplyDelicious said:Should I contact my retailer, or MSI regarding the potential exchange/refund? I've never been in this situation before, so I'm not quite sure.

It's best to start with wherever you bought it from, and if that's not an option then work with the board manufacturer. Let me know if you get stuck.

Posted 01/28/2015 06:48 AM   
[quote="PeterS@NVIDIA"][quote="Dadasmithywinkle"][quote="PeterS@NVIDIA"][quote="glr123"]Hi Peter, thanks for the comments. It's great to hear from someone at nvidia. For many of us, this card is awesome and the performance impact of this new information and potential effects on 'longevity' is really disheartening. I, personally, don't have the resources to purchase a new GPU every other year and we are concerned about the implications of the disabled L2 cache and bandwidth access. Had we known these specifications, I am sure many would have considered their options more carefully. Does nvidia have any plans to facilitate upgrades to a 980 or some sort of voucher for future products? This issue may necessitate purchasing of a new GPU earlier than some of us would have hoped and some sort of upgrade/voucher/recycle program seems like an option that would satisfy many of us. Thanks, glr123[/quote] I totally get it. But since we don't actually sell cards directly (aside from a limited run at Best Buy), I can't force our partners to do vouchers or anything like that. To be extra clear, I think the GTX970 is a great card and honestly don't believe there is a better card for the price. If you are unhappy for whatever reason, talk to your board mfgr and give them a chance to help you out. If that route fails, let me know and I'll try to help.[/quote] Hey Peter, I've been reading through the last 7 pages or so and wanted to say that there is a reason why you hold a senior position. You not only care about the product, but also about the people that buy the product. That's pretty awesome. Having said that, I had a question or two of my own. Back in January or so, I picked up one of the nVidia reference cards from Best Buy. It ran/runs fine at 1080p, but when running DSR stepped up to 1440p or 4K, it's not pretty. So, I bought a second one from my nearby Best Buy to see if SLI would be better (along with the 3-way SLI bridge off the nVidia website). It turns out that "The Crew" and ran worse in 1440p DSR with two 970's than with one - screen tearing galore. While the reference cards are simply gorgeous and I have a dead 770 on my shelf because of the gnarly cooler design, this isn't what I'd expect from a $370 card, sweet spot or not. So, to get to my point, I have one of the few nVidia-produced 970's. 1) Is there any way to exchange it for a 980? I use a Xeon so I'd be in the same boat as the other guy that posted earlier - dead in the water until I had a new card. And 2) If I were to be able to get the reference 980, is there a possibility of discount? Thanks for your help to those on the forum and with my issues as well. [/quote] Shoot me a PM with the details and we'll see what we can do.[/quote] Don't take take this the wrong way, but are you doing damage control and acting helpful only because Nvidia's stock is tanking?
PeterS@NVIDIA said:
Dadasmithywinkle said:
PeterS@NVIDIA said:
glr123 said:Hi Peter, thanks for the comments. It's great to hear from someone at nvidia. For many of us, this card is awesome and the performance impact of this new information and potential effects on 'longevity' is really disheartening. I, personally, don't have the resources to purchase a new GPU every other year and we are concerned about the implications of the disabled L2 cache and bandwidth access.

Had we known these specifications, I am sure many would have considered their options more carefully. Does nvidia have any plans to facilitate upgrades to a 980 or some sort of voucher for future products? This issue may necessitate purchasing of a new GPU earlier than some of us would have hoped and some sort of upgrade/voucher/recycle program seems like an option that would satisfy many of us.

Thanks,
glr123

I totally get it. But since we don't actually sell cards directly (aside from a limited run at Best Buy), I can't force our partners to do vouchers or anything like that.

To be extra clear, I think the GTX970 is a great card and honestly don't believe there is a better card for the price. If you are unhappy for whatever reason, talk to your board mfgr and give them a chance to help you out. If that route fails, let me know and I'll try to help.

Hey Peter,

I've been reading through the last 7 pages or so and wanted to say that there is a reason why you hold a senior position. You not only care about the product, but also about the people that buy the product. That's pretty awesome.

Having said that, I had a question or two of my own. Back in January or so, I picked up one of the nVidia reference cards from Best Buy. It ran/runs fine at 1080p, but when running DSR stepped up to 1440p or 4K, it's not pretty. So, I bought a second one from my nearby Best Buy to see if SLI would be better (along with the 3-way SLI bridge off the nVidia website). It turns out that "The Crew" and ran worse in 1440p DSR with two 970's than with one - screen tearing galore. While the reference cards are simply gorgeous and I have a dead 770 on my shelf because of the gnarly cooler design, this isn't what I'd expect from a $370 card, sweet spot or not. So, to get to my point, I have one of the few nVidia-produced 970's. 1) Is there any way to exchange it for a 980? I use a Xeon so I'd be in the same boat as the other guy that posted earlier - dead in the water until I had a new card. And 2) If I were to be able to get the reference 980, is there a possibility of discount?

Thanks for your help to those on the forum and with my issues as well.

Shoot me a PM with the details and we'll see what we can do.

Don't take take this the wrong way, but are you doing damage control and acting helpful only because Nvidia's stock is tanking?

Posted 01/28/2015 06:49 AM   
[quote="Applesauce1"][quote="acezgutter"][quote="PeterS@NVIDIA"][quote="Zynn"] There are 8800 employees with NVIDIA. May I ask what your actual title is with the company?[/quote] Yes. --Peter Sierant Senior Director of Customer Care NVIDIA Corporation, Santa Clara CA 408-486-2000[/quote] I live in San Jose. Could we meet personally so you can swap out my 970 for a 980?...Please?[/quote] He isn't directly giving refunds, rebates, replacements, etc. He is merely volunteering to ask as ambassador to the manufactures.[/quote] I've been to the Nvidia campus, they got EVGA cards. They can do it. :o
Applesauce1 said:
acezgutter said:
PeterS@NVIDIA said:
Zynn said:

Yes.

--Peter Sierant
408-486-2000

He isn't directly giving refunds, rebates, replacements, etc. He is merely volunteering to ask as ambassador to the manufactures.

I've been to the Nvidia campus, they got EVGA cards. They can do it. :o

Posted 01/28/2015 06:49 AM   
I also noticed the stock falling... didn't want to say anything
I also noticed the stock falling... didn't want to say anything

Posted 01/28/2015 06:50 AM   
Ah well no direct rma in europe for msi.. Had to contact local reseller... http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm Free of charge, two-year guarantee (legal guarantee) Whether you bought the goods in a shop or online, under EU rules you always have the right to a minimum two-year guarantee period at no cost. This 2-year guarantee is only your minimum right and national rules in your country may give you extra protection. Remember that any deviation from EU rules must always be to the consumer's benefit. If an item you bought anywhere in the EU turns out to be faulty or does not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace it free of charge or give you a full refund or reduction in price. In some EU countries you will be offered the choice between all four remedies from the outset. Otherwise you will be able to ask for a full or partial refund only when it is not possible or convenient to repair or replace the item. And bear in mind that you might not be entitled to a refund if the problem is minor, such as a scratch on a CD case. The two-year guarantee period starts as soon as you receive your goods. In some EU countries you must inform the seller of the fault within two months of discovering it otherwise you may lose your right to the guarantee. Within six months from receipt of the goods, you just need to show the trader that they are faulty or not as advertised. But, after six months in most EU countries you also need to prove yourself that the defect already existed on receipt of the goods, for example, by showing that the defect is due to the poor quality of materials used. The trader is always liable for remedying the defect and in some EU countries you also have the right to request a remedy from the producer.
Ah well no direct rma in europe for msi..
Had to contact local reseller...

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm

Free of charge, two-year guarantee (legal guarantee)

Whether you bought the goods in a shop or online, under EU rules you always have the right to a minimum two-year guarantee period at no cost.

This 2-year guarantee is only your minimum right and national rules in your country may give you extra protection. Remember that any deviation from EU rules must always be to the consumer's benefit.

If an item you bought anywhere in the EU turns out to be faulty or does not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace it free of charge or give you a full refund or reduction in price. In some EU countries you will be offered the choice between all four remedies from the outset. Otherwise you will be able to ask for a full or partial refund only when it is not possible or convenient to repair or replace the item.

And bear in mind that you might not be entitled to a refund if the problem is minor, such as a scratch on a CD case.

The two-year guarantee period starts as soon as you receive your goods. In some EU countries you must inform the seller of the fault within two months of discovering it otherwise you may lose your right to the guarantee.

Within six months from receipt of the goods, you just need to show the trader that they are faulty or not as advertised. But, after six months in most EU countries you also need to prove yourself that the defect already existed on receipt of the goods, for example, by showing that the defect is due to the poor quality of materials used.

The trader is always liable for remedying the defect and in some EU countries you also have the right to request a remedy from the producer.

i7 4790k phanteks ph-tc14pe with 3x Noctua NF-A14 3000 pwm
Msi 970 GTX gaming 4g 3gb + 1gb of turd
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
16gb ddr3 2400mhz

Posted 01/28/2015 06:50 AM   
@ Peter I am not sure how you are helping... Restitution is needed, not help in getting refunds. We were cheated, yes, and we were lied to - is Nvidia planning any form of restitution with their partners? I can't afford to upgrade to a 980, and I've never used a Radeon... What kind of assurances do we have that future drivers will help alleviate the way games load that .5GB of memory? I do want answers, but I feel most people just want refunds.
@ Peter

I am not sure how you are helping... Restitution is needed, not help in getting refunds. We were cheated, yes, and we were lied to - is Nvidia planning any form of restitution with their partners?

I can't afford to upgrade to a 980, and I've never used a Radeon... What kind of assurances do we have that future drivers will help alleviate the way games load that .5GB of memory?

I do want answers, but I feel most people just want refunds.

Posted 01/28/2015 06:51 AM   
[quote="PeterS@NVIDIA"][quote="dosomethingnvidia"]PeterS@Nvidia While your helping is certainly appreciated your company needs to get WAY MORE PUBLIC about helping people getting returns if that's what they want. You need to post something on the front page of nvidia.com saying something like "970 owners click here for potential return information and help" and hit up facebook and twitter and have a customer service staff give EVERYONE an equal chance to get help returning their 970s and not just people who happened to be hanging out on the forums while you were here. If your company is willing to speak on behalf of its customers to retailers to help issue refunds/exchanges then everyone needs to know in a public way so all owners have an equal chance to get the return/refund/exchange they want instead of leaving them to sit on hold waiting to be elevated to a customer service rep at whatever retailer to get a refund they are fully entitled too. You need to be more public and more forthcoming.[/quote] You are right, and some members of the team have indeed been posting similar offers of help on various social media. I just chose to dive right into the middle of this mega-thread because I thought this is was where I can help the most.[/quote] Sorry to add to the responses but I just wanna say that this is one of the most awesome things to happen that I have seen on a thread, I have been reading this thread since it first started and I posted about the issue a while back on another forum(Linus Tech Tips forums). Thank you so much for all your help. You coming down and helping us with these issues make me want to stay with Nvidia because its good to reminded of the people at Nvidia that are there working and trying their best. People who are also nice and helpful. Thank you so much. I am scared to join this discussion because I am kinda new to the forum. I have't upgraded in years because of rough times but I saved up the money to get a GTX 970(I saved money in general for a new card for years and when the 970 came I thought it would be the one at its release). I stayed with Nvidia for years with other graphics cards which were pretty low end(it was all I could afford). This is the most expensive piece of hardware I own. I contacted Asus tonight about a refund but it is now a bit after a month since I found about these issues a few days ago. I had very low end cards so its a little dissapointing me hearing all these news after getting my first really high-endish card, but I still wanna stay on team green. Can I get some help with Asus? I know they are ultimately deciding and you are probably super busy(you work at Nvidia after all) but any help would be appreciated.
PeterS@NVIDIA said:
dosomethingnvidia said:PeterS@Nvidia

While your helping is certainly appreciated your company needs to get WAY MORE PUBLIC about helping people getting returns if that's what they want. You need to post something on the front page of nvidia.com saying something like "970 owners click here for potential return information and help" and hit up facebook and twitter and have a customer service staff give EVERYONE an equal chance to get help returning their 970s and not just people who happened to be hanging out on the forums while you were here. If your company is willing to speak on behalf of its customers to retailers to help issue refunds/exchanges then everyone needs to know in a public way so all owners have an equal chance to get the return/refund/exchange they want instead of leaving them to sit on hold waiting to be elevated to a customer service rep at whatever retailer to get a refund they are fully entitled too. You need to be more public and more forthcoming.

You are right, and some members of the team have indeed been posting similar offers of help on various social media. I just chose to dive right into the middle of this mega-thread because I thought this is was where I can help the most.

Sorry to add to the responses but I just wanna say that this is one of the most awesome things to happen that I have seen on a thread, I have been reading this thread since it first started and I posted about the issue a while back on another forum(Linus Tech Tips forums). Thank you so much for all your help. You coming down and helping us with these issues make me want to stay with Nvidia because its good to reminded of the people at Nvidia that are there working and trying their best. People who are also nice and helpful. Thank you so much. I am scared to join this discussion because I am kinda new to the forum. I have't upgraded in years because of rough times but I saved up the money to get a GTX 970(I saved money in general for a new card for years and when the 970 came I thought it would be the one at its release). I stayed with Nvidia for years with other graphics cards which were pretty low end(it was all I could afford). This is the most expensive piece of hardware I own. I contacted Asus tonight about a refund but it is now a bit after a month since I found about these issues a few days ago. I had very low end cards so its a little dissapointing me hearing all these news after getting my first really high-endish card, but I still wanna stay on team green. Can I get some help with Asus? I know they are ultimately deciding and you are probably super busy(you work at Nvidia after all) but any help would be appreciated.

Posted 01/28/2015 06:53 AM   
[quote="acezgutter"]@ Peter I am not sure how you are helping... Restitution is needed, not help in getting refunds. We were cheated, yes, and we were lied to - is Nvidia planning any form of restitution with their partners?[/quote] The most anyone is owed is a refund. Restitution? For everything they put you through? Bahahahahaha.
acezgutter said:@ Peter

I am not sure how you are helping... Restitution is needed, not help in getting refunds. We were cheated, yes, and we were lied to - is Nvidia planning any form of restitution with their partners?

The most anyone is owed is a refund. Restitution? For everything they put you through? Bahahahahaha.

Posted 01/28/2015 06:55 AM   
  177 / 438    
Scroll To Top