GTX 970 3.5GB Vram Issue
  171 / 438    
Really Nvidia!? I posted a thread to HELP your consumers - such as myself, and you keep disrespecting us. [url]http://imgur.com/n89266y[/url]
Really Nvidia!?

I posted a thread to HELP your consumers - such as myself, and you keep disrespecting us.

http://imgur.com/n89266y

Posted 01/28/2015 04:04 AM   
[quote="PeterS@NVIDIA"] And we're looking at ways to tweak the driver to better understand where to put stuff to make it even faster. But I totally get that it might not be the right product for your specific situation. If you really want to return it and are getting denied, let me know and I'll do my best to help.[/quote] I assume the best way is to really make it 3.5GB by stop addressing to the 512MB. From your diagram, it seems like by addressing to the weird 0.5GB segment, it actually can cause an unusually high latency.
PeterS@NVIDIA said:
And we're looking at ways to tweak the driver to better understand where to put stuff to make it even faster. But I totally get that it might not be the right product for your specific situation. If you really want to return it and are getting denied, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

I assume the best way is to really make it 3.5GB by stop addressing to the 512MB. From your diagram, it seems like by addressing to the weird 0.5GB segment, it actually can cause an unusually high latency.

Posted 01/28/2015 04:06 AM   
how about Gigabyte? they told me not they problem Dear Johnny Wong, This is the hardware design and since there is nothing wrong with the hardware, there is no return offer on it. Below is the official statement from NVIDIA for your reference. The GeForce GTX 970 is equipped with 4GB of dedicated graphics memory. However the 970 has a different configuration of SMs than the 980, and fewer crossbar resources to the memory system. To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section. The GPU has higher priority access to the 3.5GB section. When a game needs less than 3.5GB of video memory per draw command then it will only access the first partition, and 3rd party applications that measure memory usage will report 3.5GB of memory in use on GTX 970, but may report more for GTX 980 if there is more memory used by other commands. When a game requires more than 3.5GB of memory then we use both segments. Regards, GIGABYTE
how about Gigabyte? they told me not they problem

Dear Johnny Wong,

This is the hardware design and since there is nothing wrong with the hardware, there is no return offer on it. Below is the official statement from NVIDIA for your reference.

The GeForce GTX 970 is equipped with 4GB of dedicated graphics memory. However the 970 has a different configuration of SMs than the 980, and fewer crossbar resources to the memory system. To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section. The GPU has higher priority access to the 3.5GB section. When a game needs less than 3.5GB of video memory per draw command then it will only access the first partition, and 3rd party applications that measure memory usage will report 3.5GB of memory in use on GTX 970, but may report more for GTX 980 if there is more memory used by other commands. When a game requires more than 3.5GB of memory then we use both segments.

Regards,
GIGABYTE

Intel i7 930, MSI (MS-7522) X58A-GD65 ver. 4.11, 4GBx6 Winova DDR3 1600, Transcend 512GB SSD, Gigabyte GTX970 GI Gaming (Rev. 1.1) 350.12 WHQL, Corsair HX1000 PSU, Windows 7 64bit SP1, Dell 2405FPW 24" 1920x1200 LCD

NVIDIA's GTX 970 slows down when using more than 3.5GB VRAM
NVIDIA's GTX 970 can only use 3.5GB of 4GB VRAM
NVIDIA has no plans to address GTX 970 memory woes

My Gallery
https://fotki.yandex.ru/users/johnnywcw/

hes commenting here now so who cares, hes helping
hes commenting here now so who cares, hes helping

[quote="PeterS@NVIDIA"][quote="Mattomattt"] How long is this exchange offer good for?[/quote] I guess that depends on who's card it is. I think that EVGA for example offers a trade-in program, others might offer credit, etc. It's largely up to them. All I'm offering is to help you out, even it means me contacting them on your behalf.[/quote] I purchased my card through Amazon, and it is the Asus Strix variety. I would be willing to pay a maximum of $100 extra, not the $200 difference, to upgrade to the 980 version. While my PC will be without a video card, since it will be in-transit, I will not be able to make money, so I unfortunately still lose. Can you assist with this?
PeterS@NVIDIA said:
Mattomattt said:
How long is this exchange offer good for?

I guess that depends on who's card it is. I think that EVGA for example offers a trade-in program, others might offer credit, etc. It's largely up to them. All I'm offering is to help you out, even it means me contacting them on your behalf.

I purchased my card through Amazon, and it is the Asus Strix variety.
I would be willing to pay a maximum of $100 extra, not the $200 difference, to upgrade to the 980 version.
While my PC will be without a video card, since it will be in-transit, I will not be able to make money, so I unfortunately still lose.

Can you assist with this?

System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K
Graphics Card: Asus Strix GTX 970 (Apparently not really 4GB)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A
RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident X
Monitor: BenQ 32" BL3200PT 2560x1440

Posted 01/28/2015 04:07 AM   
I must say never had GPU usage problems using GSYNC. Dear Peter, What about the SLI performance with the new driver? Actually using SLI + 1440p is a total disaster with these cards even using GSYNC. And I'm not talking about the FPS, I'm talking about the massive stuttering. Games feel much smoother disabling SLI. Tested a pair of 980 and they feel much smoother cause the bandwidth. I'm sure the card is still amazing, for me is 100% stable using it without SLI even with more than 3.5GB but I think you can't improve massively the sli as the card needs for a proper 1440p playing. Are you saying can we go to our retailers and get a 980 paying the difference? Even passed the 30 day period. PS: Hiding actual specifications was an ugly movement. Nvidia should at least file a public apology.
I must say never had GPU usage problems using GSYNC.

Dear Peter,

What about the SLI performance with the new driver? Actually using SLI + 1440p is a total disaster with these cards even using GSYNC. And I'm not talking about the FPS, I'm talking about the massive stuttering. Games feel much smoother disabling SLI. Tested a pair of 980 and they feel much smoother cause the bandwidth.

I'm sure the card is still amazing, for me is 100% stable using it without SLI even with more than 3.5GB but I think you can't improve massively the sli as the card needs for a proper 1440p playing.

Are you saying can we go to our retailers and get a 980 paying the difference? Even passed the 30 day period.

PS: Hiding actual specifications was an ugly movement. Nvidia should at least file a public apology.

Posted 01/28/2015 04:08 AM   
[quote="BERRRR"] looks like you have a hacked game. mine shows 4,096[/quote] pics or it did not happen ;)
BERRRR said:
looks like you have a hacked game.
mine shows 4,096

pics or it did not happen ;)

Posted 01/28/2015 04:10 AM   
@Peter@NVIDIA. While I have already opted to RMA my card, and choose to do my MOBO/CPU swap instead for the time being. I can personally say that this gesture to offer to assist those who wish to RMA or refund the card with their vendor from which they purchased it. That is a step in the right direction. Not all retailers are playing nice and the consumers who wish to return the cards I am sure will appreciate the help. I have at no time said the 970 was junk, only that I paid for X capabilities and thats what I wanted. Unfortunately for me how some of these games make use of the segmented VRAM on the 970 doesnt work for my needs. Its good to hear officially there is a fix in the works to attempt to correct the problem, though I know many of us will wait to see if it corrects the problem, or if it can even be addressed with a software suite change. I do hope NVIDIA gets the problem corrected as competition in the market place is a good thing. It leads to better tech for the end user. That being said this was the first time I took a chance on the NVIDIA cards in a long time, not since the ASUS 450 I had in 2011. So 4 years and 2 upgrade cycles have passed for me using AMD tech. My first venture back and this issue has plagued my use of the card and left me dissatisfied. Now to say never again will I purchase a NVIDIA product is a bold statement, I know my emotional state right now says thats how I feel. But in the future if NVIDIA makes it right with the consumer base I am sure that will heal a lot of wounds the consumers have from this experience. The performance problem wouldnt have been a problem if the initial specifications had never been listed incorrectly or advertised as different they what we actually received. Many of us used countless reviews, technical site recommendations to purchase this product. Even as mid level card, though I would say its top end based on stats originally, just not the elite like the 980. This card is not cheap, $350 is a car payment to most, some people its half a payment, or 3 weeks grocery's or some thing they set aside out of their monthly budget. Either way its not a little sum, so when they fork over that hard earned money based on a lie or misleading information they have a right to get angry and voice their displeasure. The board and tech people should read this stuff and the consumers valid complaints should be heard. And the consumers should make their argument in a stern, yet articulated and respectful manner. Heck I am with those who were excited to get my 970... couldnt wait. Got it installed thought wow this is going to be a step up. It was ok at first when I had issues, chalked it up to driver bugs and new unproven tech. It was only when all the VRAM and Low GPU issues surfaced I noticed something was a miss with this item, market wide. For me thats when I said ok, enough I am done with this for now and went about RMA'ing my card for a refund. I am not advocating everyone gets a 980 as compensation at all. The offer to help people get a full refund on their investment should be adequate for any who choose to use that when NVIDIA lays out the steps. Lastly to the users on this forum that continue to curse and belittle other forum members. Why is it you can not have a civil adult conversation where we can all agree to disagree, voice our concerns and opinions with out those discussions heading into a childish downward spiral. All the F* bombs and fowl language make it hard to take you seriously. Adults dont act like that, at least not the serious business professionals in the real world. Have some class. If you want to be treated like an adult and compensated like an adult then take a deep breath, articulate your issue with some tact and you might actually get somewhere. I got my RMA I believe for that very reason. I stated my case politely and articulated my stance, with out fowl language or belittling anyone in the process.
@Peter@NVIDIA. While I have already opted to RMA my card, and choose to do my MOBO/CPU swap instead for the time being. I can personally say that this gesture to offer to assist those who wish to RMA or refund the card with their vendor from which they purchased it. That is a step in the right direction. Not all retailers are playing nice and the consumers who wish to return the cards I am sure will appreciate the help.

I have at no time said the 970 was junk, only that I paid for X capabilities and thats what I wanted. Unfortunately for me how some of these games make use of the segmented VRAM on the 970 doesnt work for my needs. Its good to hear officially there is a fix in the works to attempt to correct the problem, though I know many of us will wait to see if it corrects the problem, or if it can even be addressed with a software suite change. I do hope NVIDIA gets the problem corrected as competition in the market place is a good thing. It leads to better tech for the end user. That being said this was the first time I took a chance on the NVIDIA cards in a long time, not since the ASUS 450 I had in 2011. So 4 years and 2 upgrade cycles have passed for me using AMD tech. My first venture back and this issue has plagued my use of the card and left me dissatisfied.

Now to say never again will I purchase a NVIDIA product is a bold statement, I know my emotional state right now says thats how I feel. But in the future if NVIDIA makes it right with the consumer base I am sure that will heal a lot of wounds the consumers have from this experience. The performance problem wouldnt have been a problem if the initial specifications had never been listed incorrectly or advertised as different they what we actually received. Many of us used countless reviews, technical site recommendations to purchase this product. Even as mid level card, though I would say its top end based on stats originally, just not the elite like the 980. This card is not cheap, $350 is a car payment to most, some people its half a payment, or 3 weeks grocery's or some thing they set aside out of their monthly budget. Either way its not a little sum, so when they fork over that hard earned money based on a lie or misleading information they have a right to get angry and voice their displeasure. The board and tech people should read this stuff and the consumers valid complaints should be heard. And the consumers should make their argument in a stern, yet articulated and respectful manner.

Heck I am with those who were excited to get my 970... couldnt wait. Got it installed thought wow this is going to be a step up. It was ok at first when I had issues, chalked it up to driver bugs and new unproven tech. It was only when all the VRAM and Low GPU issues surfaced I noticed something was a miss with this item, market wide. For me thats when I said ok, enough I am done with this for now and went about RMA'ing my card for a refund.

I am not advocating everyone gets a 980 as compensation at all. The offer to help people get a full refund on their investment should be adequate for any who choose to use that when NVIDIA lays out the steps.

Lastly to the users on this forum that continue to curse and belittle other forum members. Why is it you can not have a civil adult conversation where we can all agree to disagree, voice our concerns and opinions with out those discussions heading into a childish downward spiral. All the F* bombs and fowl language make it hard to take you seriously. Adults dont act like that, at least not the serious business professionals in the real world. Have some class.

If you want to be treated like an adult and compensated like an adult then take a deep breath, articulate your issue with some tact and you might actually get somewhere. I got my RMA I believe for that very reason. I stated my case politely and articulated my stance, with out fowl language or belittling anyone in the process.

Win 7 Pro
i7 4790k w/Noctua NH-D15 Cooler
32 GB of Ram
Gigabyte R9 390 G1 8GB
Gigabyte UD5H Black Edition Motherboard
500GB 850 EVO SSD (Main Drive)
960GB PNY CS1311 SSD (Steam/Origin/Uplay Game Drive)
500GB PNY CS1311 SSD (Data Drive)
850W EVGA P2 PSU Modular
Rosewill Blackhawk ATX Case

Posted 01/28/2015 04:10 AM   
[quote="Flank"][quote="PeterS@NVIDIA"][quote="Goranmilis"]I've replaced my good old 580 with 970 last month. I've been pretty satisfied with the upgrade so far. That being said, I must admit I am appalled with the fact that Nvidia waited for so long to finally disclose the peculiarity of the 970 architecture. I am also not happy with the way they are handling this situation ATM. I am saying all this as someone who has been exclusively using Nvidia GFX cards in my desktop machines since GeForce2 MX400 (from 2001). Now, the sad thing is, even that I would like to punish Nvidia and pick an alternative product from the competitor company I am not going to do it, since I still remember the pile of issues I had with their gfx card on my old laptop... [/quote] Hey, First, I want you to know that I'm not just a mod, I work for NVIDIA in Santa Clara. The GTX 970 is an amazing card and I genuinely believe it's the best card for the money that you can buy. The GTX970 performs exactly as it was designed to, check out this Anandtech link which has a nice description of how the memory system works. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation Also, I understand that some of you are upset about the error in the reviewer guide. I apologize for that and can assure you that we have taken steps to ensure it doesn’t happen again. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-specifications,28464.html I realize that you may be looking for other options with your retailers and board manufacturers. If you need help, let me know. UPDATE: Since there was some confusion, I updated this post to clarify my comments about drivers, other options and added some relative links. --Peter [/quote] Will these new drivers make the card behave like there is no segmented memory?[/quote] hey um, can you guys also look into why GK110 performance is slowly dropping with each new post maxwell driver release? I doubt Nvidia wants to deal with another "fermi nerf" scenario, RIGHT after getting beat to death for bold face lying about how the memory works on the 970, then attempting to sweep it under the rug as a PR/marketing issue. thanks :) sure you won't see this, but worth a shot. Seeing 7970s starting to close in on Titans & 780Tis in new titles kinda makes your skin crawl. It points towards gross neglagance, by either you, or the developer, and knowing Nvidia they will attempt to blame the developer, even though said titles are NV branded titles, which in theory should mean Nvidia should be doing everything within their power to make their cards run better than the competition, in said titles... IDK, is it just me? Am I the only one that gets pissed off when he loads up an Nvidia branded game just to find that SLi is broken and that 5 year old 7970s are within 10%? Sorry, doesn't fly. 390x or bust has become my new motto because of this. I told my self "eh, just a fluke, nvidia didn't intentionally reduce performance of fermi cards, across the board, in new and existing titles! has to be a mistake!" but seeing that it's once again happening again, and that once again AMD cards are beginning to pick up the pace, to beat out a card that they never used to beat out... yeah, no. you need to fix it.
Flank said:
PeterS@NVIDIA said:
Goranmilis said:I've replaced my good old 580 with 970 last month. I've been pretty satisfied with the upgrade so far. That being said, I must admit I am appalled with the fact that Nvidia waited for so long to finally disclose the peculiarity of the 970 architecture. I am also not happy with the way they are handling this situation ATM. I am saying all this as someone who has been exclusively using Nvidia GFX cards in my desktop machines since GeForce2 MX400 (from 2001).

Now, the sad thing is, even that I would like to punish Nvidia and pick an alternative product from the competitor company I am not going to do it, since I still remember the pile of issues I had with their gfx card on my old laptop...

Hey,

First, I want you to know that I'm not just a mod, I work for NVIDIA in Santa Clara.

The GTX 970 is an amazing card and I genuinely believe it's the best card for the money that you can buy. The GTX970 performs exactly as it was designed to, check out this Anandtech link which has a nice description of how the memory system works.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation

Also, I understand that some of you are upset about the error in the reviewer guide. I apologize for that and can assure you that we have taken steps to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-specifications,28464.html

I realize that you may be looking for other options with your retailers and board manufacturers. If you need help, let me know.

UPDATE: Since there was some confusion, I updated this post to clarify my comments about drivers, other options and added some relative links.

--Peter

Will these new drivers make the card behave like there is no segmented memory?

hey um, can you guys also look into why GK110 performance is slowly dropping with each new post maxwell driver release?

I doubt Nvidia wants to deal with another "fermi nerf" scenario, RIGHT after getting beat to death for bold face lying about how the memory works on the 970, then attempting to sweep it under the rug as a PR/marketing issue.

Seeing 7970s starting to close in on Titans & 780Tis in new titles kinda makes your skin crawl. It points towards gross neglagance, by either you, or the developer, and knowing Nvidia they will attempt to blame the developer, even though said titles are NV branded titles, which in theory should mean Nvidia should be doing everything within their power to make their cards run better than the competition, in said titles...

IDK, is it just me? Am I the only one that gets pissed off when he loads up an Nvidia branded game just to find that SLi is broken and that 5 year old 7970s are within 10%? Sorry, doesn't fly.

390x or bust has become my new motto because of this. I told my self "eh, just a fluke, nvidia didn't intentionally reduce performance of fermi cards, across the board, in new and existing titles! has to be a mistake!" but seeing that it's once again happening again, and that once again AMD cards are beginning to pick up the pace, to beat out a card that they never used to beat out... yeah, no. you need to fix it.

Posted 01/28/2015 04:11 AM   
[quote="BERRRR"] thank you Peter, as I said from the beginning my GTX 970 is the best graphics card I have owned to date, and I have owned lots of NVidia gpu's, and high end ones such as GTX 580 3gb sli, GTX 680 4gb etc. I also know that NVidia stands behind their products and will do whatever it takes to keep their customers happy. I would like to apologize for all the users on here that have turned this issue into a witch hunt and down right childish and in poor taste.[/quote] Thanks man! But no need to apologize for anyone, I can take it. People are pissed and I can't blame them. On a related note, this thread is getting seriously wonky. I ASSURE YOU that I am NOT deleting negative comments, as the 3,000 or so negative comments here prove, lol. The forum software acts flaky sometimes on long threads and the "auto-ghost" algorithm loses it's mind sometimes and thinks everything is spam. (We get like a thousand spam posts a day that you guys don't see since the bots kill them). If anyone's post get deleted, PM a mod and we'll restore it. Feel free to hate on NVIDIA all you want, but please don't attack other posters.
BERRRR said:
thank you Peter,
as I said from the beginning my GTX 970 is the best graphics card I have owned to date, and I have owned lots of NVidia gpu's, and high end ones such as GTX 580 3gb sli, GTX 680 4gb etc. I also know that NVidia stands behind their products and will do whatever it takes to keep their customers happy.
I would like to apologize for all the users on here that have turned this issue into a witch hunt and down right childish and in poor taste.

Thanks man! But no need to apologize for anyone, I can take it. People are pissed and I can't blame them.

On a related note, this thread is getting seriously wonky. I ASSURE YOU that I am NOT deleting negative comments, as the 3,000 or so negative comments here prove, lol. The forum software acts flaky sometimes on long threads and the "auto-ghost" algorithm loses it's mind sometimes and thinks everything is spam. (We get like a thousand spam posts a day that you guys don't see since the bots kill them).

If anyone's post get deleted, PM a mod and we'll restore it. Feel free to hate on NVIDIA all you want, but please don't attack other posters.

Posted 01/28/2015 04:11 AM   
[quote="PeterS@NVIDIA"] If you really want to return it and are getting denied, let me know and I'll do my best to help.[/quote] I am interested in this, as I purchased my GTX 970 for the holiday season, and consequently am already out of the RMA date. Could you give more details as to how you will help about returning it?
PeterS@NVIDIA said:
If you really want to return it and are getting denied, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

I am interested in this, as I purchased my GTX 970 for the holiday season, and consequently am already out of the RMA date. Could you give more details as to how you will help about returning it?

Posted 01/28/2015 04:14 AM   
[quote="johnnywcw"]how about Gigabyte? they told me not they problem Dear Johnny Wong, This is the hardware design and since there is nothing wrong with the hardware, there is no return offer on it. Below is the official statement from NVIDIA for your reference. The GeForce GTX 970 is equipped with 4GB of dedicated graphics memory. However the 970 has a different configuration of SMs than the 980, and fewer crossbar resources to the memory system. To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section. The GPU has higher priority access to the 3.5GB section. When a game needs less than 3.5GB of video memory per draw command then it will only access the first partition, and 3rd party applications that measure memory usage will report 3.5GB of memory in use on GTX 970, but may report more for GTX 980 if there is more memory used by other commands. When a game requires more than 3.5GB of memory then we use both segments. Regards, GIGABYTE[/quote] Hi Johnny, if you really just want a refund please PM me your Gigabyte case number or contact details and I'll talk to them on your behalf.
johnnywcw said:how about Gigabyte? they told me not they problem

Dear Johnny Wong,

This is the hardware design and since there is nothing wrong with the hardware, there is no return offer on it. Below is the official statement from NVIDIA for your reference.

The GeForce GTX 970 is equipped with 4GB of dedicated graphics memory. However the 970 has a different configuration of SMs than the 980, and fewer crossbar resources to the memory system. To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section. The GPU has higher priority access to the 3.5GB section. When a game needs less than 3.5GB of video memory per draw command then it will only access the first partition, and 3rd party applications that measure memory usage will report 3.5GB of memory in use on GTX 970, but may report more for GTX 980 if there is more memory used by other commands. When a game requires more than 3.5GB of memory then we use both segments.

Regards,
GIGABYTE

Hi Johnny, if you really just want a refund please PM me your Gigabyte case number or contact details and I'll talk to them on your behalf.

Posted 01/28/2015 04:14 AM   
I am also interested and would like to exchange my 970 for a 980... thing is i bought from a local computer shop and as far as im aware this issue is outside of they're return policy, i haven't a clue of what i should tell them. Also ive had problems in the past for returning sticks of ram.
I am also interested and would like to exchange my 970 for a 980... thing is i bought from a local computer shop and as far as im aware this issue is outside of they're return policy, i haven't a clue of what i should tell them. Also ive had problems in the past for returning sticks of ram.

Posted 01/28/2015 04:16 AM   
[quote="Zynn"] I purchased my card through Amazon, and it is the Asus Strix variety. I would be willing to pay a maximum of $100 extra, not the $200 difference, to upgrade to the 980 version. While my PC will be without a video card, since it will be in-transit, I will not be able to make money, so I unfortunately still lose. Can you assist with this?[/quote] Hi Zynn, are you able to return the card for a refund and then buy a 980? Amazon is usually really good about returns. If not, let me know.
Zynn said:

I purchased my card through Amazon, and it is the Asus Strix variety.
I would be willing to pay a maximum of $100 extra, not the $200 difference, to upgrade to the 980 version.
While my PC will be without a video card, since it will be in-transit, I will not be able to make money, so I unfortunately still lose.

Can you assist with this?

Hi Zynn, are you able to return the card for a refund and then buy a 980? Amazon is usually really good about returns. If not, let me know.

Posted 01/28/2015 04:17 AM   
I recently built three different systems using the GTX 970.. four of them. The first two I used in an SLI-config that I built for a friend. The other two cards each went into their own separate rigs, my wifes and my own. This was the first real graphics card I could afford after waiting nearly six years and the value I was getting was just too much to pass up. Our old cards were 570s so I guess you could say, I'm an nVidia man, I always have been. My wife and I have decided to keep our 970s, it wasn't the specs or the vram that bothered me, I guess it was just that I felt cheated. I waited a long time, spent countless hours researching and I finally pulled the trigger last Christmas, sold my friend who wanted to upgrade his 780, built each system from scratch. After reading Peter's reply and looking back on the things I've posted in this thread, I realize I've been a jerk, I think somewhere in my anger and frustration I forgot there are real, living people behind that logo, who wake up every day just like I do and try their best to deliver a quality product and service. I can't speak to what my friend will do when I inform him, he may step-up to 980s, he's not the type to hold back (big $$) but my wife and I will be happy with the 970 at least for a couple more years because you are right, it's a damn good card and I'm sorry for how I've acted.
I recently built three different systems using the GTX 970.. four of them. The first two I used in an SLI-config that I built for a friend. The other two cards each went into their own separate rigs, my wifes and my own. This was the first real graphics card I could afford after waiting nearly six years and the value I was getting was just too much to pass up. Our old cards were 570s so I guess you could say, I'm an nVidia man, I always have been. My wife and I have decided to keep our 970s, it wasn't the specs or the vram that bothered me, I guess it was just that I felt cheated. I waited a long time, spent countless hours researching and I finally pulled the trigger last Christmas, sold my friend who wanted to upgrade his 780, built each system from scratch.

After reading Peter's reply and looking back on the things I've posted in this thread, I realize I've been a jerk, I think somewhere in my anger and frustration I forgot there are real, living people behind that logo, who wake up every day just like I do and try their best to deliver a quality product and service.

I can't speak to what my friend will do when I inform him, he may step-up to 980s, he's not the type to hold back (big $$) but my wife and I will be happy with the 970 at least for a couple more years because you are right, it's a damn good card and I'm sorry for how I've acted.

Posted 01/28/2015 04:18 AM   
  171 / 438    
Scroll To Top