nvlddmkm keep crashing in Far Cry 4
  1 / 16    
[center]Final Conclusion[/center] The driver crash are believed to be caused by one, some or even a combination of 'Gameworks' features. If you have any of these features enabled and are experiencing TDR's make sure to turn them off. Gameworks features in this game are: HBAO+ (NVIDIA Ambient Occlusion), Enhanced Godrays (NVIDIA Godrays), Soft Shadows (NVIDIA PCSS), Simulated Fur (NVIDIA Hairworks) and TXAA (NVIDIA Anti-Aliasing). [center]Updated Info[/center] These are some suggestions I've gathered from around the interwebs that may or may not alleviate some of the crashes this game has. I'm not sure if some of these can fix the Nvidia driver crash, but feel free to try out. Again, this is just a compilation of things to try out until NVIDIA acknowledge this as an issue, or Ubisoft fixes this in a game update. I don't have the game anymore so I cannot test these myself unfortunately. [.]Try verifying the game's installation for any corrupted files: In Uplay you can find this in the menu tab for the game just inside the cover art (horizontal lines) in the game library. In Steam right click the game's name in your library, choose setting and you will see a "verify integrity" text[/.] [.]Turn off Simulated fur: We'se seen crashes which relates to Nvidia hairworks, so try this. In the graphics menu for the game choose either on or off, not simulated (Nvidia hairworks)[/.] [.]Turn off Soft Shadows. Soft shadows has been reported to cause framedrops and shadow oddities in the game because of poor implementation or corruption. Try turning this off by choosing Ubisoft's ultra or high setting instead[/.] [.]Turn off HBAO+. Try putting AO to Ubisoft's own SSBC[/.] [.]Try set godrays to volumetric fog instead of Nvidia's enhanced setting[/.] [.]Try to unplug any unecessary USB devices connected to the computer while playing.[/.] [.]Turn off any OC/GPU monitoring software, like EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner.[/.] [.]And finally: Some users have seen success with driver version 344.75.[/.] [center]Original story[/center] Hi, so I don't know if this is the game or not doing this, but occasionally Far Cry 4 will just freeze and not respond. Now if I check the event log it says that the nvlddmkm stopped working and has recovered (I am on the 347.09 WHQL driver). It seems completely random too as to when it will crash. Sometimes it can happen after 5 minutes, other times half an hour. So I guess my question is, could a game cause a display driver error/crash? Or is this something else?
Final Conclusion

The driver crash are believed to be caused by one, some or even a combination of 'Gameworks' features. If you have any of these features enabled and are experiencing TDR's make sure to turn them off. Gameworks features in this game are: HBAO+ (NVIDIA Ambient Occlusion), Enhanced Godrays (NVIDIA Godrays), Soft Shadows (NVIDIA PCSS), Simulated Fur (NVIDIA Hairworks) and TXAA (NVIDIA Anti-Aliasing).

Updated Info

These are some suggestions I've gathered from around the interwebs that may or may not alleviate some of the crashes this game has. I'm not sure if some of these can fix the Nvidia driver crash, but feel free to try out. Again, this is just a compilation of things to try out until NVIDIA acknowledge this as an issue, or Ubisoft fixes this in a game update. I don't have the game anymore so I cannot test these myself unfortunately.

• Try verifying the game's installation for any corrupted files: In Uplay you can find this in the menu tab for the game just inside the cover art (horizontal lines) in the game library. In Steam right click the game's name in your library, choose setting and you will see a "verify integrity" text

• Turn off Simulated fur: We'se seen crashes which relates to Nvidia hairworks, so try this. In the graphics menu for the game choose either on or off, not simulated (Nvidia hairworks)

• Turn off Soft Shadows. Soft shadows has been reported to cause framedrops and shadow oddities in the game because of poor implementation or corruption. Try turning this off by choosing Ubisoft's ultra or high setting instead

• Turn off HBAO+. Try putting AO to Ubisoft's own SSBC

• Try set godrays to volumetric fog instead of Nvidia's enhanced setting

• Try to unplug any unecessary USB devices connected to the computer while playing.

• Turn off any OC/GPU monitoring software, like EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner.

• And finally: Some users have seen success with driver version 344.75.

• Original story

Hi, so I don't know if this is the game or not doing this, but occasionally Far Cry 4 will just freeze and not respond. Now if I check the event log it says that the nvlddmkm stopped working and has recovered (I am on the 347.09 WHQL driver). It seems completely random too as to when it will crash. Sometimes it can happen after 5 minutes, other times half an hour. So I guess my question is, could a game cause a display driver error/crash? Or is this something else?

GPU MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Armor 8GB GDDR5
    M/B MSI X99S SLI PLUS
    CPU Intel® Core™ i7-5820K | Cooler Master Hyper 212X
    PSU Cooler Master G750M
    RAM Corsair Vengeance® LPX 16GB 4x4GB DDR4
    SSD Crucial MX100 512GB
    SSD Crucial MX300 1TB
    O/S Microsoft Windows 10 Creators Update 64-bit

Posted 12/28/2014 03:43 PM   
    TDR's occur when a device takes to long on a given task. Any device or device driver in the system can contribute to the cause of a TDR.
    TDR's occur when a device takes to long on a given task.

Any device or device driver in the system can contribute to the cause of a TDR.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
    CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
    Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
    Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
    HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
    Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
    Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

CPU:Intel Xeon x5670 @ 3.8Gz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:24GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
    Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB
    Monitor:55" Thorn TV, Sound:Sony Muteki 7.1
    SDD:Crucial MX200 250, HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Case:NZXT Phantom 410, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 10
    Cooler: ThermalRight TRUE Spirit 120M BW Rev.A

Posted 12/28/2014 04:22 PM   
    So in other words the display driver is crashing due to a hangup in the game? Or something else? Every single driver should be updated I believe (see signature for brief summary)
    So in other words the display driver is crashing due to a hangup in the game? Or something else? Every single driver should be updated I believe (see signature for brief summary)

M/B MSI X99S SLI PLUS
    PSU Cooler Master G750M
    SSD Crucial MX100 512GB
    SSD Crucial MX300 1TB

Posted 12/28/2014 04:50 PM   
    every driver should be checked for updates, from the vendors website (not the mobo/subvendor site). also every device should be stress tested and minimal load tested
    every driver should be checked for updates, from the vendors website (not the mobo/subvendor site).

also every device should be stress tested and minimal load tested

Specs:
    CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
    Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition

CPU:Intel Xeon x5670 @ 3.8Gz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:24GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600

Posted 12/28/2014 05:02 PM   
    Normally it is not necessary to update all drivers if the related hardware is fully operational. But if you search through the forum you will see, that the NVIDIA drivers are broken for more than half a year now. Not for everybody, but it seems not clear until now for whom. So all you can do is to hope that nvidia gets the problem fixed, which may be never the case, or change the graphics hardware. Anything but that are bad excuses.
    Normally it is not necessary to update all drivers if the related hardware is fully operational. But if you search through the forum you will see, that the NVIDIA drivers are broken for more than half a year now. Not for everybody, but it seems not clear until now for whom. So all you can do is to hope that nvidia gets the problem fixed, which may be never the case, or change the graphics hardware. Anything but that are bad excuses.

Clevo P170SM-A
    GTX 980M 8GB
    2x 4GB
    i7 4810MQ
    Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
    Win 7 x64 SP1, fully updated

Posted 12/28/2014 05:15 PM   
    But all I want to know is: can a hangup in a game cause a TDR? And is this what I am experiencing? I think it all started after Steam downloaded a 500MB patch two days ago for FC4. I have also spoken to one of the CM over at Ubisoft and they told me that the latest update caused issues with crashing. So again, could this be what is happening? and would this (the game) cause TDR? Because if a game is incapable of giving display crash I need to do a bunch of phone calls.
    But all I want to know is: can a hangup in a game cause a TDR? And is this what I am experiencing? I think it all started after Steam downloaded a 500MB patch two days ago for FC4. I have also spoken to one of the CM over at Ubisoft and they told me that the latest update caused issues with crashing. So again, could this be what is happening? and would this (the game) cause TDR?

Because if a game is incapable of giving display crash I need to do a bunch of phone calls.

M/B MSI X99S SLI PLUS
    PSU Cooler Master G750M
    SSD Crucial MX100 512GB
    SSD Crucial MX300 1TB

Posted 12/28/2014 05:30 PM   
    same for me in fc4, my driver crashes now since the last fc4 patch on GTX980. sometimes after 5-10min, sometimes after 30min or after hour I tested both my GPUs alone and both are crashing. is not easy to repro because this happening random. Before the patch i could play this game without any driver crashes after the patch my driver keeps crashing. and yes i under clock my gpus, but this problem is still happening.
    same for me in fc4, my driver crashes now since the last fc4 patch on GTX980.

sometimes after 5-10min, sometimes after 30min or after hour

I tested both my GPUs alone and both are crashing.
    is not easy to repro because this happening random.

Before the patch i could play this game without any driver crashes after the patch my driver keeps crashing.
    and yes i under clock my gpus, but this problem is still happening.

need2Update

Posted 12/28/2014 09:18 PM   
    Good I'm not alone, not good it's happening. I think it's Ubisoft and their staff of monkeys that did something bad with this latest 1.6 update. the 1.5 update had a bad memory behavior, the 1.6 update have crashes... I wonder what the 1.7 update will bring to the table. I just find it odd that the the game is so badly written that it leads to TDR's. That was the point of this thread. Just to further update, I have 'all' the latest updates on my computer, anything from BIOS, Intel ME, Audio, Video, Chipset, IDE ata/atapi, Windows, ethernet,. I don't think I've missed anything. I have also tried to verify the game integrity - recommended by other people having the same issue - and it didn't really help. Maybe a little, but it's hard to tell because it is still crashing. And it's just this game too. No system instability with anything else. The finger, at this moment, is pointed towards Ubisoft.
    Good I'm not alone, not good it's happening. I think it's Ubisoft and their staff of monkeys that did something bad with this latest 1.6 update. the 1.5 update had a bad memory behavior, the 1.6 update have crashes... I wonder what the 1.7 update will bring to the table. I just find it odd that the the game is so badly written that it leads to TDR's. That was the point of this thread.

Just to further update, I have 'all' the latest updates on my computer, anything from BIOS, Intel ME, Audio, Video, Chipset, IDE ata/atapi, Windows, ethernet,. I don't think I've missed anything. I have also tried to verify the game integrity - recommended by other people having the same issue - and it didn't really help. Maybe a little, but it's hard to tell because it is still crashing.

And it's just this game too. No system instability with anything else.

The finger, at this moment, is pointed towards Ubisoft.

M/B MSI X99S SLI PLUS
    PSU Cooler Master G750M
    SSD Crucial MX100 512GB
    SSD Crucial MX300 1TB

Posted 12/28/2014 09:52 PM   
    User mode software cannot put a device in a state that causes it to hang or crash, there are checks in place within the SDK and compilers that would ensure this never happens. If a change in the software has introduced tdrs or crashes, then its simply tripping up a point of weakness in the computer system.
    User mode software cannot put a device in a state that causes it to hang or crash, there are checks in place within the SDK and compilers that would ensure this never happens.

If a change in the software has introduced tdrs or crashes, then its simply tripping up a point of weakness in the computer system.

Specs:

Posted 12/29/2014 06:15 AM   
    OliviaLewis reported for spam
    OliviaLewis reported for spam

need2Update

Posted 12/29/2014 10:36 AM   
    [quote="Sora"]User mode software cannot put a device in a state that causes it to hang or crash, there are checks in place within the SDK and compilers that would ensure this never happens. If a change in the software has introduced tdrs or crashes, then its simply tripping up a point of weakness in the computer system.[/quote] But this just doesn't add up. I can let my system on for hours through stress tests and load tests without instability, and I can play other games just fine. It's just with FC4 and just after this patch from Steam that I started to notice this. We have another user here reporting the same thing and plenty of other users reporting game crashes and black screens, aswell as the CM over at Ubisoft confirming crashing after the latest update. So when I look up the event viewer and see that the display driver crashed around the same time as the game froze, it's not because of the game but an instability or weakness in my system? What would that weakness be? Or what's the normal cause of such weakness in a system? Again, everything is updated (or if you know of something I could update feel free to say), I haven't done overclocking, every component should be at default values. Could the weakness be some sort of a compatibility issue that I am unable to fix? Maybe it's just for us with GTX 970/980's? If someone have Far Cry 4 I would be much obliged if you could start the game with this update and see if the the game freezes. In the menu it should say version 1.6. And then look up the event viewer and see if the display driver crashed once it froze, because I don't get any message for this unless I check the event in Windows. The game simply freezes until a black screen with a window border saying Far Cry 4 comes up. Settings I use recommended by Nvidia: 1080p Fullscreen resolution AA SMAA Trees relief ON Trippel buffer/Vsync ON Vegetation Ultra Water Ultra Textures Ultra Environment Ultra Terrain Ultra Shadows Soft shadow NVIDIA Post FX Ultra Geometry Ultra Fur Simulated NVIDIA Godrays Enhanced NVIDIA AO HBAO+ NVIDIA
    Sora said:User mode software cannot put a device in a state that causes it to hang or crash, there are checks in place within the SDK and compilers that would ensure this never happens.

If a change in the software has introduced tdrs or crashes, then its simply tripping up a point of weakness in the computer system.

But this just doesn't add up. I can let my system on for hours through stress tests and load tests without instability, and I can play other games just fine. It's just with FC4 and just after this patch from Steam that I started to notice this. We have another user here reporting the same thing and plenty of other users reporting game crashes and black screens, aswell as the CM over at Ubisoft confirming crashing after the latest update. So when I look up the event viewer and see that the display driver crashed around the same time as the game froze, it's not because of the game but an instability or weakness in my system?

What would that weakness be? Or what's the normal cause of such weakness in a system? Again, everything is updated (or if you know of something I could update feel free to say), I haven't done overclocking, every component should be at default values. Could the weakness be some sort of a compatibility issue that I am unable to fix? Maybe it's just for us with GTX 970/980's?

If someone have Far Cry 4 I would be much obliged if you could start the game with this update and see if the the game freezes. In the menu it should say version 1.6. And then look up the event viewer and see if the display driver crashed once it froze, because I don't get any message for this unless I check the event in Windows. The game simply freezes until a black screen with a window border saying Far Cry 4 comes up.

Settings I use recommended by Nvidia:

1080p Fullscreen resolution
    AA SMAA
    Trees relief ON
    Trippel buffer/Vsync ON
    Vegetation Ultra
    Water Ultra
    Textures Ultra
    Environment Ultra
    Terrain Ultra
    Shadows Soft shadow NVIDIA
    Post FX Ultra
    Geometry Ultra
    Fur Simulated NVIDIA
    Godrays Enhanced NVIDIA
    AO HBAO+ NVIDIA

M/B MSI X99S SLI PLUS
    PSU Cooler Master G750M
    SSD Crucial MX100 512GB
    SSD Crucial MX300 1TB

Posted 12/29/2014 03:16 PM   
    vsync sems to be causing this driver crash in FC4 v1.6. However let me test more to be sure. ps: GTX780 Ti no crash GTX770 no crash GTX980 crash GTX980 crash third GTX980 crash TDR's are not always happening because of "bad/broken" hardware. I already reported TDR's causing of bad drvers/software a while ago. NVIDIA could always repro my issues. Last time( 2years ago? ) i reported a TDR crash in BF4( was only Kepler related ), and nvidia fixed it after an driver update.
    vsync sems to be causing this driver crash in FC4 v1.6.
    However let me test more to be sure.

ps:
    GTX780 Ti no crash
    GTX770 no crash

GTX980 crash
    GTX980 crash
    third GTX980 crash

TDR's are not always happening because of "bad/broken" hardware.
    I already reported TDR's causing of bad drvers/software a while ago.
    NVIDIA could always repro my issues.
    Last time( 2years ago? ) i reported a TDR crash in BF4( was only Kepler related ), and nvidia fixed it after an driver update.

need2Update

Posted 12/29/2014 03:16 PM   
    ok is not happening because of vsync, it was happening again randomly. Haven't found an easy way to repro this TDR. Im out of ideas now :(
    ok is not happening because of vsync, it was happening again randomly.

Haven't found an easy way to repro this TDR.
    Im out of ideas now :(

need2Update

Posted 12/29/2014 08:44 PM   
    [quote="Sora"]User mode software cannot put a device in a state that causes it to hang or crash, there are checks in place within the SDK and compilers that would ensure this never happens. If a change in the software has introduced tdrs or crashes, then its simply tripping up a point of weakness in the computer system.[/quote] So if that is the case why does every driver before 347.09 run fine with no tdr or blue screens, and yet suddenly this latest driver says oh hang on now ur system must suddenly be crud let's hang it all up and restart ur driver? The logic makes no sense you put out here, nobody seems to want to pull anyone up on this but I sure will. I am guessing you can answer this genuine concern right? Let's not have a link etc to read from default response now I'd like a human real reply here, like we used to get from bank managers long time ago.. What is your view on a new driver used in Conjunction with suddenly blue screens and driver stopped responding issues? When all was fine before hand... What would a true logical mind look for here if they had to assess this problem You use the words carefully, tripping up a problem in the computer system... That's right the computer system which funny enough constitutes drivers running the hardware.. Too old to have wool pulled over my eyes, sorry...
    Sora said:User mode software cannot put a device in a state that causes it to hang or crash, there are checks in place within the SDK and compilers that would ensure this never happens.

So if that is the case why does every driver before 347.09 run fine with no tdr or blue screens, and yet suddenly this latest driver says oh hang on now ur system must suddenly be crud let's hang it all up and restart ur driver?

The logic makes no sense you put out here, nobody seems to want to pull anyone up on this but I sure will. I am guessing you can answer this genuine concern right?

Let's not have a link etc to read from default response now I'd like a human real reply here, like we used to get from bank managers long time ago..

What is your view on a new driver used in Conjunction with suddenly blue screens and driver stopped responding issues? When all was fine before hand...

What would a true logical mind look for here if they had to assess this problem

You use the words carefully, tripping up a problem in the computer system... That's right the computer system which funny enough constitutes drivers running the hardware.. Too old to have wool pulled over my eyes, sorry...

Posted 12/30/2014 01:28 AM   
    [quote="MadUser#2312"]ok is not happening because of vsync, it was happening again randomly. Haven't found an easy way to repro this TDR. Im out of ideas now :([/quote] I dunno. I have put the game on ice as for now. I've tried to contact Nvidia directly but because of the holidays it's hard, so we'll see if I can get in touch with one from the driver team later on and see if they can repro this. Again, if someone want to test this and post results here it would greatly help, especially if you own FC4 and a GTX 970/980.
    MadUser#2312 said:ok is not happening because of vsync, it was happening again randomly.

Haven't found an easy way to repro this TDR.
    Im out of ideas now :(

I dunno. I have put the game on ice as for now. I've tried to contact Nvidia directly but because of the holidays it's hard, so we'll see if I can get in touch with one from the driver team later on and see if they can repro this.

Again, if someone want to test this and post results here it would greatly help, especially if you own FC4 and a GTX 970/980.

M/B MSI X99S SLI PLUS
    PSU Cooler Master G750M
    SSD Crucial MX100 512GB
    SSD Crucial MX300 1TB

Posted 12/30/2014 09:03 AM   
      1 / 16    
    Scroll To Top