Auto-SteamOverlayDisable(beta?_Updated_04/26/15)
  1 / 2    
As most of us know all to well by now [url=https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/758587/3d-vision/steam-update-breaks-helixmod-on-some-games/]the Steam Overlay has been interfering with certain HelixMod fixes[/url] and the only way around it has been renaming or deleting the GameOverlayRenderer.dll via script or manually, which is promptly updated by Steam at startup. I came up with a way to run a script via the install vdf, it renames the dll to dii, restarts itself in the taskbar and waits to continue, the game starts and 6 seconds later the scripts resets the MinimumHasRunValue(otherwise the install script will only run once) and renames the dii back to dll. [quote]To use: Install the game and start it up normally to insure all the Steam install scripts are run properly. Install HelixMod. Extract contents of DisableOverlay.zip to the base folder of the game(?), overwrite(or rename to be safe?) any existing InstallScript.vdf. (Zip Contents: InstallScript.vdf, DisableOverlay\DisableOverlay.bat) Run the game from Steam and Select Yes on UAC prompt(if any). [url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ul518mfca9y4zme/DisableOverlay.zip?dl=0[/url][/quote]And yes I was working on a 'lite' version of BSE when I randomly got side-tracked with this ... Lol. Story of my life. :) notes: it should be x86/x64 compatible, [s]It's using the normal 'Program Files' install path of Steam, if Steam is installed in a different location it won't work ... let me know and I can try to get it working for you ... this is just the path for Steam, games/this fix can be installed anywhere.[/s] 12/18/14: Updated the batch script to get get the location of the Steam.exe. Fingers crossed, it should work with any Steam/Game configuration, on any Win7(+?) machine. 04/26/15: Updated to disable both 32 and 64 bit Overlay dlls. 04/27/15: I tried this on Gas Guzzlers with Mike_ar69's sky fix using the x64 release dll and it would only kick in if it was unzipped in the base folder of the game(GasGuzzlersExtreme\)
As most of us know all to well by now the Steam Overlay has been interfering with certain HelixMod fixes and the only way around it has been renaming or deleting the GameOverlayRenderer.dll via script or manually, which is promptly updated by Steam at startup.

I came up with a way to run a script via the install vdf, it renames the dll to dii, restarts itself in the taskbar and waits to continue, the game starts and 6 seconds later the scripts resets the MinimumHasRunValue(otherwise the install script will only run once) and renames the dii back to dll.

To use:

Install the game and start it up normally to insure all the Steam install scripts are run properly.

Install HelixMod.

Extract contents of DisableOverlay.zip to the base folder of the game(?), overwrite(or rename to be safe?) any existing InstallScript.vdf. (Zip Contents: InstallScript.vdf, DisableOverlay\DisableOverlay.bat)

Run the game from Steam and Select Yes on UAC prompt(if any).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ul518mfca9y4zme/DisableOverlay.zip?dl=0
And yes I was working on a 'lite' version of BSE when I randomly got side-tracked with this ... Lol. Story of my life. :)

notes: it should be x86/x64 compatible, It's using the normal 'Program Files' install path of Steam, if Steam is installed in a different location it won't work ... let me know and I can try to get it working for you ... this is just the path for Steam, games/this fix can be installed anywhere.

12/18/14: Updated the batch script to get get the location of the Steam.exe. Fingers crossed, it should work with any Steam/Game configuration, on any Win7(+?) machine.

04/26/15: Updated to disable both 32 and 64 bit Overlay dlls.

04/27/15: I tried this on Gas Guzzlers with Mike_ar69's sky fix using the x64 release dll and it would only kick in if it was unzipped in the base folder of the game(GasGuzzlersExtreme\)
Posted 12/17/2014 11:20 PM   
TriDef was having problems with the Steam overlay also and released a Beta back in November to address the issue. TriDef 3D Ignition 3.8.7 Beta 1 This Beta fixes an issue that caused DX11 games to crash when launched through Steam (since a recent Steam update). This issue was caused by a conflict between TriDef 3D Ignition's game interception and Steam's new rendering technique for game overlays.
TriDef was having problems with the Steam overlay also and released a Beta back in November to address the issue.

TriDef 3D Ignition 3.8.7 Beta 1

This Beta fixes an issue that caused DX11 games to crash when launched through Steam (since a recent Steam update). This issue was caused by a conflict between TriDef 3D Ignition's game interception and Steam's new rendering technique for game overlays.

Posted 12/18/2014 12:10 AM   
Yeah the idiotic thing about it was, as bo3b pointed out, even if the Steam Overlay is disabled in Steam, it is still using/loading the overlay dll which is in turn causing the issue with the HelixMod fixes ... I just got the idea to try and use the Steam install script to launch another script and after a bit of tweaking got it working fairly well, I could tweak a version to run a depth hack prior to the game as well if anyone wanted.
Yeah the idiotic thing about it was, as bo3b pointed out, even if the Steam Overlay is disabled in Steam, it is still using/loading the overlay dll which is in turn causing the issue with the HelixMod fixes ... I just got the idea to try and use the Steam install script to launch another script and after a bit of tweaking got it working fairly well, I could tweak a version to run a depth hack prior to the game as well if anyone wanted.
Posted 12/18/2014 02:47 AM   
Could you please give me a version where the Steam Path is D:\Steam. Thanks.
Could you please give me a version where the Steam Path is D:\Steam. Thanks.

Posted 12/18/2014 10:27 AM   
[quote="tonka"]Could you please give me a version where the Steam Path is D:\Steam. Thanks.[/quote]A couple questions on your setup, is it like this? D:\Steam\steamapps\common\GameName ... and is the GameOverlayRenderer.dll located in the D:\Steam folder? Sorry, I've never had any experience with Steam installs in any other location other than 'Program Files'. I guess I wasn't sure if Steam always gets installed in 'Program Files' or if it needs to be installed where the games are located, if it's the later. That they always have to be together, I could easily rewrite it so that works from any install location.
tonka said:Could you please give me a version where the Steam Path is D:\Steam. Thanks.
A couple questions on your setup, is it like this? D:\Steam\steamapps\common\GameName ... and is the GameOverlayRenderer.dll located in the D:\Steam folder?

Sorry, I've never had any experience with Steam installs in any other location other than 'Program Files'. I guess I wasn't sure if Steam always gets installed in 'Program Files' or if it needs to be installed where the games are located, if it's the later. That they always have to be together, I could easily rewrite it so that works from any install location.
Posted 12/18/2014 03:19 PM   
Steam can be installed to any folder you specify. Games can then be installed to any directory you specify as a Steamapps directory (even multiple folders if you like).
Steam can be installed to any folder you specify. Games can then be installed to any directory you specify as a Steamapps directory (even multiple folders if you like).

Posted 12/18/2014 03:46 PM   
Hello TsaebehT, yes its precisely what you said.
Hello TsaebehT, yes its precisely what you said.

Posted 12/18/2014 07:09 PM   
Thanks for the feedback guys, I worked out a way to get the location of the Steam.exe at runtime. This should now work with any Steam/Game config on any Win7(+?) machine. :)
Thanks for the feedback guys, I worked out a way to get the location of the Steam.exe at runtime. This should now work with any Steam/Game config on any Win7(+?) machine. :)
Posted 12/19/2014 12:38 AM   
Thanks TsaebehT, that works great with Mass effect. It must be installed in the Launcher folder, not in binaries.
Thanks TsaebehT, that works great with Mass effect. It must be installed in the Launcher folder, not in binaries.

Posted 12/19/2014 11:04 AM   
Another thing to keep in mind is if you have more that one drive you install games to, you have to disable it in both places. For example, I install steam game to both my C and E drives. So the overlay needed to be disabled in both locations. BTW, thank you very much for hunting this down. I can also confirm that this fix works for the older assassins creed games running in DX9 with the helixmod with steam.
Another thing to keep in mind is if you have more that one drive you install games to, you have to disable it in both places. For example, I install steam game to both my C and E drives. So the overlay needed to be disabled in both locations. BTW, thank you very much for hunting this down.

I can also confirm that this fix works for the older assassins creed games running in DX9 with the helixmod with steam.

Intel 6700k @ 4.0Ghz / 32GB @ 3200
Evga Z170 / 2 x Evga 980 SC
2 x Samsung 840 Pro Raid 0 / Win7
2 x Samsung 850 Pro Raid 0 / Win10
Samsung 950 Pro / Data
Sony VPL-HW40ES 3DTVPlay

Posted 12/27/2014 06:59 PM   
Very interesting. Thank you. I had the problem with the Forest and with Dead Effect. Thanks to Darkstarsword for helping me out this too.
Very interesting. Thank you. I had the problem with the Forest and with Dead Effect. Thanks to Darkstarsword for helping me out this too.

Intel Core i7-3820, 4 X 3,60 GHz overclocked to 4,50 GHz ; EVGA Titan X 12VRAM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-1600 (4x 4 GB) ; Asus VG278H 27-inch incl. 3D vision 2 glasses, integrated transmitter ; Xbox One Elite wireless controller ; Windows 10
HTC VIVE 2,5 m2 roomscale
3D VISION GAMERS - VISIT ME ON STEAM and feel free to add me:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198064106555/edit

Posted 12/27/2014 08:05 PM   
One other thing, not sure if it matters or not, just to be on the safe side, I also renamed GameOverlayRenderer64.dll as well. I can't imagine that any older games use any 64 bit code but I did it anyway. I should also mention that I am running the latest NVidia drivers and games don't crash anymore with this work around. I am using 2x680 Classifieds, Thanks all!
One other thing, not sure if it matters or not, just to be on the safe side, I also renamed GameOverlayRenderer64.dll as well. I can't imagine that any older games use any 64 bit code but I did it anyway. I should also mention that I am running the latest NVidia drivers and games don't crash anymore with this work around.

I am using 2x680 Classifieds,

Thanks all!

Samsung 950 Pro / Data
Sony VPL-HW40ES 3DTVPlay

Posted 12/27/2014 08:33 PM   
[quote="tonka"]Thanks TsaebehT, that works great with Mass effect. It must be installed in the Launcher folder, not in binaries.[/quote]Thanks for sharing, usually the launchers are in the same folder as the game's exe. [quote="mgriggs22"]Another thing to keep in mind is if you have more that one drive you install games to, you have to disable it in both places. For example, I install steam game to both my C and E drives. So the overlay needed to be disabled in both locations.[/quote]Are you sure on that? I redesigned it to get the location directly from the Steam.exe that's running, there can't really be multiple Steam exe install locations, can there? Either way it gets the location from the Steam.exe that's running, which should be the one that initializes the dll, so it should work regardless. [quote="mgriggs22"]One other thing, not sure if it matters or not, just to be on the safe side, I also renamed GameOverlayRenderer64.dll as well.[/quote]I could easily add this in if you want, although I haven't heard of an x64 game that's affected by this as of yet.
tonka said:Thanks TsaebehT, that works great with Mass effect. It must be installed in the Launcher folder, not in binaries.
Thanks for sharing, usually the launchers are in the same folder as the game's exe.

mgriggs22 said:Another thing to keep in mind is if you have more that one drive you install games to, you have to disable it in both places. For example, I install steam game to both my C and E drives. So the overlay needed to be disabled in both locations.
Are you sure on that? I redesigned it to get the location directly from the Steam.exe that's running, there can't really be multiple Steam exe install locations, can there? Either way it gets the location from the Steam.exe that's running, which should be the one that initializes the dll, so it should work regardless.

mgriggs22 said:One other thing, not sure if it matters or not, just to be on the safe side, I also renamed GameOverlayRenderer64.dll as well.
I could easily add this in if you want, although I haven't heard of an x64 game that's affected by this as of yet.
Posted 12/27/2014 10:54 PM   
I tried it with a couple more games with known issues. Viking I can't seem to get it to work yet, something is creating a runasadmin.vdf and also overwriting the InstallScript.vdf even if I set it to read-only, really not sure where this is coming from. FEAR2 works well you just have to rename the InstallScript.vdf to Install.vdf instead.
I tried it with a couple more games with known issues. Viking I can't seem to get it to work yet, something is creating a runasadmin.vdf and also overwriting the InstallScript.vdf even if I set it to read-only, really not sure where this is coming from.

FEAR2 works well you just have to rename the InstallScript.vdf to Install.vdf instead.
Posted 12/28/2014 03:09 AM   
[quote="mgriggs22"]Another thing to keep in mind is if you have more that one drive you install games to, you have to disable it in both places. For example, I install steam game to both my C and E drives. So the overlay needed to be disabled in both locations.[/quote]Are you sure on that? I redesigned it to get the location directly from the Steam.exe that's running, there can't really be multiple Steam exe install locations, can there? Either way it gets the location from the Steam.exe that's running, which should be the one that initializes the dll, so it should work regardless. Sorry, I should have been more clear, it's not multiple copies of steam in different location, it's multiple locations of where you have games installed. I have seen the overlay dll's in both places I have games installed. In my case two different drive locations. My example is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam and E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
mgriggs22 said:Another thing to keep in mind is if you have more that one drive you install games to, you have to disable it in both places. For example, I install steam game to both my C and E drives. So the overlay needed to be disabled in both locations.
Are you sure on that? I redesigned it to get the location directly from the Steam.exe that's running, there can't really be multiple Steam exe install locations, can there? Either way it gets the location from the Steam.exe that's running, which should be the one that initializes the dll, so it should work regardless.

Sorry, I should have been more clear, it's not multiple copies of steam in different location, it's multiple locations of where you have games installed. I have seen the overlay dll's in both places I have games installed. In my case two different drive locations.

My example is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
and
E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

Samsung 950 Pro / Data
Sony VPL-HW40ES 3DTVPlay

Posted 12/28/2014 08:42 AM   
  1 / 2