Computer won't boot past BIOS after installing new GTX 970
  3 / 3    
guys same problem here running on MOBO - asrock z77 extreme4 cannot boot past bios also B2 error with gigabyte g1 gtx970. seems like new bios are out on gigabyte site but im confused on which bios I need to upgrade too my current version is american megatrends ince p1.30 am i gonna beable to upgrade to new bios?
guys same problem here running on MOBO - asrock z77 extreme4 cannot boot past bios also B2 error with gigabyte g1 gtx970. seems like new bios are out on gigabyte site but im confused on which bios I need to upgrade too my current version is american megatrends ince p1.30 am i gonna beable to upgrade to new bios?

Posted 01/30/2015 05:01 PM   
As the other guy already said, re-seat the card...this can sometimes do wonders. Check that your PCIE connectors are..well..connected. CMOS BIOS RESET cannot hurt either. Check BIOS for possible settings related to the PCIE slot. Try changing card slots. Putting new hardware into a board and not booting is IMHO rather unusual. A defective card is more likely. It's also possible that the PSU is a low quality PSU and although it has 700W written on it it might have problems supplying the required power.
As the other guy already said, re-seat the card...this can sometimes do wonders.

Check that your PCIE connectors are..well..connected.

CMOS BIOS RESET cannot hurt either.

Check BIOS for possible settings related to the PCIE slot.

Try changing card slots.

Putting new hardware into a board and not booting is IMHO rather unusual. A defective card is more likely. It's also possible that the PSU is a low quality PSU and although it has 700W written on it it might have problems supplying the required power.

Posted 01/30/2015 05:18 PM   
And if some of you guys are having board BIOS issues and are not sure about which BIOS to get and how to update BIOS I recommend you ask on the forums/support for your motherboard rather than here. You might have better chances on the Asrock etc. forum.
And if some of you guys are having board BIOS issues and are not sure about which BIOS to get and how to update BIOS I recommend you ask on the forums/support for your motherboard rather than here. You might have better chances on the Asrock etc. forum.

Posted 01/30/2015 05:22 PM   
Check your bios settings to see if you have a setting called PCI ROM Priority. (only applies if you have a motherboard that has UEFI) Trying switching back between UEFI Compatible, or Legacy PCI. If not, or that does not fix it, you more than likely need to flash the motherboard BIOS to a more recent version.
Check your bios settings to see if you have a setting called PCI ROM Priority. (only applies if you have a motherboard that has UEFI) Trying switching back between UEFI Compatible, or Legacy PCI. If not, or that does not fix it, you more than likely need to flash the motherboard BIOS to a more recent version.

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.4Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
16GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR3-1866
Noctua NH-D15S
Galax GTX 980Ti Hall of Fame
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Seagate Constellation CS 1TB
WD Red NAS 1TB
FSP Aurum 92+ 650w
Zalman Z3 Plus Mid-Tower
Sony BRAVIA 32" HDTV via HDMI
Bose Solo Soundbar

Posted 01/30/2015 05:29 PM   
The solution is easy: disable UEFI PCIE boot. Use Legacy PCI mode. They has something broken in their UEFI loader. Surpised, huh? BIOS bug.. coil whine.. false specs.. I'm starting to enjoy all this.
The solution is easy: disable UEFI PCIE boot. Use Legacy PCI mode.
They has something broken in their UEFI loader.
Surpised, huh? BIOS bug.. coil whine.. false specs.. I'm starting to enjoy all this.

3,5 + 0,5 != 4

Posted 01/30/2015 05:30 PM   
I had to install a new version of the BIOS to be able to boot.
I had to install a new version of the BIOS to be able to boot.

Posted 01/30/2015 06:52 PM   
@lancerdawg48sp did what you said and it booted right up, thanks
@lancerdawg48sp did what you said and it booted right up, thanks

Posted 01/30/2015 09:14 PM   
Specs ASrock x79 Extreme i7 3820 @ 4.4 Noctua NH-D14-2011 double 16 Gigs DDR3 hyper x kingston corsair cx600 ocz vertex 3 Win 7 64x gtx 970 asus strix from gtx 550 ti asus Same problem. Removed old gtx put gtx 970 booted in windows (not normally) 3 bibs no access to bios menu. Installed drivers from cd and updated. Restarted again no access to bios menu and 3 bibs and nothing. Put back old gtx 550 ti, all is good as before. Went to bios menu set in Northbridge menu Gen3 for the pci slot that the 970 will go and most importantly after reading here the comment of LancerDawg48SP set under bios boot menu PCI ROM priority to legacy. Put gtx 970 back in. Booted in windows gave me minimal graphics, had to restart. Now, I have access to bios menu, no 3 bibs and all drivers and monitors are working fine at full res, as I had installed them (drivers) from before. Thanks @LancerDawg48SP very helpful. No need for bios update. Cheers
Specs
ASrock x79 Extreme
i7 3820 @ 4.4
Noctua NH-D14-2011 double
16 Gigs DDR3 hyper x kingston
corsair cx600
ocz vertex 3
Win 7 64x
gtx 970 asus strix from gtx 550 ti asus

Same problem. Removed old gtx put gtx 970 booted in windows (not normally) 3 bibs no access to bios menu. Installed drivers from cd and updated. Restarted again no access to bios menu and 3 bibs and nothing.

Put back old gtx 550 ti, all is good as before. Went to bios menu set in Northbridge menu Gen3 for the pci slot that the 970 will go and most importantly after reading here the comment of LancerDawg48SP set under bios boot menu PCI ROM priority to legacy.

Put gtx 970 back in. Booted in windows gave me minimal graphics, had to restart. Now, I have access to bios menu, no 3 bibs and all drivers and monitors are working fine at full res, as I had installed them (drivers) from before. Thanks @LancerDawg48SP very helpful. No need for bios update.

Cheers

Posted 01/31/2015 12:36 PM   
And mi GTX 970 is working on a 2010 mobo without updating bios :D
And mi GTX 970 is working on a 2010 mobo without updating bios :D

Posted 01/31/2015 12:42 PM   
[quote=""]Check your bios settings to see if you have a setting called PCI ROM Priority. (only applies if you have a motherboard that has UEFI) Trying switching back between UEFI Compatible, or Legacy PCI. If not, or that does not fix it, you more than likely need to flash the motherboard BIOS to a more recent version.[/quote] Just wanted to chime in - thanks a ton LancerDawg48SP, solution worked! I bought an MSI GTX 960 2G on Saturday and ran into this same problem, albeit the bootup would continue after a minute and a half. I was already about to update BIOS or return the card or something. Cheers again!
said:Check your bios settings to see if you have a setting called PCI ROM Priority. (only applies if you have a motherboard that has UEFI) Trying switching back between UEFI Compatible, or Legacy PCI. If not, or that does not fix it, you more than likely need to flash the motherboard BIOS to a more recent version.

Just wanted to chime in - thanks a ton LancerDawg48SP, solution worked! I bought an MSI GTX 960 2G on Saturday and ran into this same problem, albeit the bootup would continue after a minute and a half. I was already about to update BIOS or return the card or something. Cheers again!

Intel i5 3570K
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
MSI GTX 960 G2
Kingston HyperX 8 GB 1600
Corsair TX750

Posted 06/29/2015 09:51 PM   
Just adding myself here to this pile, after posting in another place. My system is not getting along very well with the GTX 970. The simple fact of having it plugged in the Asus Maximus VII Hero mobo makes the system to restart after few seconds from the login. I've tried different ways, with or without drivers, but the only way it's to disable the video card or to physically unplug it. Whenever I got a restart, the error triggered in the debug screen of the mobo is "0E", which should be a CPU related error called "Microcode not found". I think it's just the video card messing up with the system, as removing or disabling it the PC runs perfectly. The system is all brand new. Please notice that I've already: 1) Cleared the CMOS; 2) Installed the latest BIOS; 3) Made a clear install of the OS; 4) Checked the RAM situation thoroughly. Last but not least, I've tried to disable the GPU built in the mobo and switch it to PCI-E manually, just to see if there was a conflict with the auto settings. That was bad, because the BIOS didn't manage to save all the time I've tried, shutting the PC down and restarting it abruptely without keeping the changes of the GPU. Here's my config: Intel Core i7-4790K, 4x 4.00GHz Asus Maximus VII hero Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 970 Gaming edition Corsair Vengeance + Corsair Vengeance LP - 8x4, 32 Gb total (1.50 V, 1600 MHz) SSD Sandisk drive WD HDD Windows 8.1 updated If Nvidia knows this issue from a long time, they really need to fix this, since it's a shame. I'll probably return the card to the vendor and buy another card, at this point.
Just adding myself here to this pile, after posting in another place.

My system is not getting along very well with the GTX 970. The simple fact of having it plugged in the Asus Maximus VII Hero mobo makes the system to restart after few seconds from the login.

I've tried different ways, with or without drivers, but the only way it's to disable the video card or to physically unplug it.
Whenever I got a restart, the error triggered in the debug screen of the mobo is "0E", which should be a CPU related error called "Microcode not found". I think it's just the video card messing up with the system, as removing or disabling it the PC runs perfectly.
The system is all brand new.

Please notice that I've already:

1) Cleared the CMOS;
2) Installed the latest BIOS;
3) Made a clear install of the OS;
4) Checked the RAM situation thoroughly.

Last but not least, I've tried to disable the GPU built in the mobo and switch it to PCI-E manually, just to see if there was a conflict with the auto settings. That was bad, because the BIOS didn't manage to save all the time I've tried, shutting the PC down and restarting it abruptely without keeping the changes of the GPU.

Here's my config:

Intel Core i7-4790K, 4x 4.00GHz
Asus Maximus VII hero
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 970 Gaming edition
Corsair Vengeance + Corsair Vengeance LP - 8x4, 32 Gb total (1.50 V, 1600 MHz)
SSD Sandisk drive
WD HDD
Windows 8.1 updated

If Nvidia knows this issue from a long time, they really need to fix this, since it's a shame. I'll probably return the card to the vendor and buy another card, at this point.

Posted 08/04/2015 07:19 AM   
Same issues have a different thread. https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777929/geforce-900-series/incompatibility-eizo-ev2736-w-zotac-gtx-980-/

Posted 08/10/2015 07:35 PM   
I've had the same problem. If you think you've bricked it, take out the graphics card, unplug the power, then remove the motherboard battery. Wait a few seconds, put it back in, then boot into your BIOS to set the clock. Boom, fixed. Then go out and buy a different graphics card :(
I've had the same problem. If you think you've bricked it, take out the graphics card, unplug the power, then remove the motherboard battery. Wait a few seconds, put it back in, then boot into your BIOS to set the clock. Boom, fixed.

Then go out and buy a different graphics card :(

Posted 09/23/2015 10:37 PM   
[quote="josele69"]And mi GTX 970 is working on a 2010 mobo without updating bios :D[/quote] Same here, my MoBo is also from 2010, and I managed to boot succesfully a 750 Ti and after that a 970 from the first time. It's really old but I love my MoBo. But I also noted the UEFI thing in case I run into this issue in the future.
josele69 said:And mi GTX 970 is working on a 2010 mobo without updating bios :D

Same here, my MoBo is also from 2010, and I managed to boot succesfully a 750 Ti and after that a 970 from the first time. It's really old but I love my MoBo.

But I also noted the UEFI thing in case I run into this issue in the future.

Graphics card: MSI GTX 970 4GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 (2.80 GHz)
Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E
RAM: 12 GB DDR3
Monitor: Generic Samsung SyncMaster 2233BW
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits
Sound card: Onboard sound
PSU: CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W

Posted 09/24/2015 03:12 PM   
  3 / 3    
Scroll To Top