NVidia GeForce GTX 900 series feedback gathering (low GPU load and other issues)
  64 / 174    
Minimum cpu state was at 5%. took it to 100% but still seeing the problem:(
Minimum cpu state was at 5%. took it to 100% but still seeing the problem:(

Posted 12/31/2014 08:46 AM   
[quote="Innerpeace"]I certainly don't. [/quote] I remember that used to give me so many issues when I had it enabled, and offered no performance gain whatsoever. It's like it was added as a bug-enhancer to every motherboard in existence. Just thought it might have been a cause.
Innerpeace said:I certainly don't.

I remember that used to give me so many issues when I had it enabled, and offered no performance gain whatsoever. It's like it was added as a bug-enhancer to every motherboard in existence. Just thought it might have been a cause.

Posted 12/31/2014 09:29 AM   
Is it possible that our mobos could be overheating causing the cpu to malfunction causing the gpu to malfunction?
Is it possible that our mobos could be overheating causing the cpu to malfunction causing the gpu to malfunction?

Posted 12/31/2014 11:00 AM   
[quote="FTA_Gaming"]Is it possible that our mobos could be overheating causing the cpu to malfunction causing the gpu to malfunction?[/quote] I doubt your mobo is overheating, what are your specs? From what I have noticed recently gaming with the strix 970 is there is pretty much a random outcome when gaming on a daily basis, its hard to always put this down to the card or setup and sometimes can be something as simple if you are online gaming as network connectivity issues. Dayz for example was running like a dog at one point and could not manage to play it due to the random drops in performance with it. Last night I logged in two servers to find I had some odd behaviour with the game ( not card gfx or lag ) and decided to change to a different server. When doing so I thought hey this feels better, so I cranked evey setting up in Dayz to as high as it would go all but post processing to very high as that is just retarded lol you cant see with that all up, and anyway I was getting 40-87fps depending where facing or how busy it was. Those frames are not bad regarding the lack of stability of the game right now. GPU use would as usual go to 99% when viewing down scope of a gun in distance and return to low gpu usage of the 40-50% when not zoomed but with good smooth gameplay. There was nothing I could do settings wise in the game to push the card more to allow more gpu use when standing around in game just looking around. With those reading my cpu % is usually evenly matched to the cards gpu%, as well I notice @4.5GHz my cpu rarely maxes out in the games I play. When zooming in with scope on gun and reaching 99% gpu use the cpu still sits at 40-50%. I have noticed this is due mainly to the game not being able to compete with the new cards I feel, with say advanced warfare ( no shitty comments pls ) although we don't expect it to be demanding in a close quarters fps you can at least make the card work and see the gpu rise to 80-90's with 2x super sampling and 2x smaa, and all the other bells and whistles on and still game at high fps. Again that game is nuts if you get in a lobby with people with bad internet connectivity lag will make you think your pc sucks when it does not. So for me I see the card will perform, but you need the right game of today and not one that still needs patching to show its true potential. Its a finicky business but it will all work out im sure once we see more driver release profile tweaks to nvidias list and other fixes. Plus of course games development updates also.
FTA_Gaming said:Is it possible that our mobos could be overheating causing the cpu to malfunction causing the gpu to malfunction?

I doubt your mobo is overheating, what are your specs?

From what I have noticed recently gaming with the strix 970 is there is pretty much a random outcome when gaming on a daily basis, its hard to always put this down to the card or setup and sometimes can be something as simple if you are online gaming as network connectivity issues.

Dayz for example was running like a dog at one point and could not manage to play it due to the random drops in performance with it. Last night I logged in two servers to find I had some odd behaviour with the game ( not card gfx or lag ) and decided to change to a different server. When doing so I thought hey this feels better, so I cranked evey setting up in Dayz to as high as it would go all but post processing to very high as that is just retarded lol you cant see with that all up, and anyway I was getting 40-87fps depending where facing or how busy it was.

Those frames are not bad regarding the lack of stability of the game right now.

GPU use would as usual go to 99% when viewing down scope of a gun in distance and return to low gpu usage of the 40-50% when not zoomed but with good smooth gameplay. There was nothing I could do settings wise in the game to push the card more to allow more gpu use when standing around in game just looking around.

With those reading my cpu % is usually evenly matched to the cards gpu%, as well I notice @4.5GHz my cpu rarely maxes out in the games I play. When zooming in with scope on gun and reaching 99% gpu use the cpu still sits at 40-50%.

I have noticed this is due mainly to the game not being able to compete with the new cards I feel, with say advanced warfare ( no shitty comments pls ) although we don't expect it to be demanding in a close quarters fps you can at least make the card work and see the gpu rise to 80-90's with 2x super sampling and 2x smaa, and all the other bells and whistles on and still game at high fps. Again that game is nuts if you get in a lobby with people with bad internet connectivity lag will make you think your pc sucks when it does not.

So for me I see the card will perform, but you need the right game of today and not one that still needs patching to show its true potential. Its a finicky business but it will all work out im sure once we see more driver release profile tweaks to nvidias list and other fixes. Plus of course games development updates also.

Posted 12/31/2014 12:19 PM   
unlikely, far as i can tell it just seems to be increased driver cpu usage with d3d9 titles. i'd need to have an affected system handy to profile the driver and kernel times though. Anyone want to attach Very Sleepy to an affected game?
unlikely, far as i can tell it just seems to be increased driver cpu usage with d3d9 titles.

i'd need to have an affected system handy to profile the driver and kernel times though.

Anyone want to attach Very Sleepy to an affected game?

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 12/31/2014 01:00 PM   
any one having problem with FC4? i get around 15-20FPS.
any one having problem with FC4? i get around 15-20FPS.

Posted 12/31/2014 01:21 PM   
[quote="Sora"]unlikely, far as i can tell it just seems to be increased driver cpu usage with d3d9 titles. i'd need to have an affected system handy to profile the driver and kernel times though. Anyone want to attach Very Sleepy to an affected game?[/quote] what I am seeing is a lack of driver and cpu usage in dx9 titles and working as intended with dx11 titles. Odd how that is completely the opposite of what you are quoting. p.s isn't intelVtune better than sleepy anyhow?
Sora said:unlikely, far as i can tell it just seems to be increased driver cpu usage with d3d9 titles.

i'd need to have an affected system handy to profile the driver and kernel times though.

what I am seeing is a lack of driver and cpu usage in dx9 titles and working as intended with dx11 titles.

Odd how that is completely the opposite of what you are quoting.

p.s isn't intelVtune better than sleepy anyhow?

Posted 12/31/2014 01:42 PM   
[quote="Strontium_Dog"][quote="Sora"]unlikely, far as i can tell it just seems to be increased driver cpu usage with d3d9 titles. i'd need to have an affected system handy to profile the driver and kernel times though. Anyone want to attach Very Sleepy to an affected game?[/quote] what I am seeing is a lack of driver and cpu usage in dx9 titles and working as intended with dx11 titles.[/quote] That is not what i've seen from screenshots posted with OSD server info in them, one core is always used heavily or several load balanced. [quote]Odd how that is completely the opposite of what you are quoting. p.s isn't intelVtune better than sleepy anyhow? [/quote] vtune is a pita to install, but if you can get it, then yes.
Strontium_Dog said:
Sora said:unlikely, far as i can tell it just seems to be increased driver cpu usage with d3d9 titles.

what I am seeing is a lack of driver and cpu usage in dx9 titles and working as intended with dx11 titles.

That is not what i've seen from screenshots posted with OSD server info in them, one core is always used heavily or several load balanced.

vtune is a pita to install, but if you can get it, then yes.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 12/31/2014 06:02 PM   
I really feel appreciated as a long time customer that Nvidia has not come into this forum and posted ANYTHING in quite some time, makes me feel good that I dish out my cash and get the cold shoulder. They are probably too busying designing their 960 mid ranged Graphics Card to help out the few with these issues. #Dissapointed #CantGame #PoorPerformance #NOTCpuBottleeneck #INeverUseHashTags
I really feel appreciated as a long time customer that Nvidia has not come into this forum and posted ANYTHING in quite some time, makes me feel good that I dish out my cash and get the cold shoulder. They are probably too busying designing their 960 mid ranged Graphics Card to help out the few with these issues.

#Dissapointed
#CantGame
#PoorPerformance
#NOTCpuBottleeneck
#INeverUseHashTags

---Specs---
EVGA GTX 970 Stock
AMD FX 8350 OC to 4.5ghz
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+
Corsair RM750 Gold Cert power Supply
Windows 8.1

Posted 12/31/2014 06:11 PM   
Here is a csv from sleepy https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94969673/Files/capture.csv Here is the sleepy file https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94969673/Files/capture.sleepy This is while running BeamNG. The CPU in question is an Intel I5 2500k overclocked @ 4.3ghz (ish) on an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard. The GPU is an MSI GTX970 GAMER. I left it profiling for about 60 seconds.
Here is a csv from sleepy
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94969673/Files/capture.csv
Here is the sleepy file
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94969673/Files/capture.sleepy

This is while running BeamNG. The CPU in question is an Intel I5 2500k overclocked @ 4.3ghz (ish) on an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard. The GPU is an MSI GTX970 GAMER. I left it profiling for about 60 seconds.

Posted 12/31/2014 06:32 PM   
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit AMD FX-8150 3.6 8,00GB ram 1866 vengence corsair AMD Corporation 990FXA-UD3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA) 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AVVS-63M8B0 (SATA) 111GB KINGSTON SV300S37A120G (SSD) Corsair 700W GS 99%-70% gpu usage and drops for 20-30 in all my games like( Ac unity, MG ground zeroes, skyrim, Far cry 4) it's hard to play because i'm playing with 50-60 fps then its drops for 25-20 LOL except in League of legends, cs.go...
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
AMD FX-8150 3.6
8,00GB ram 1866 vengence corsair
AMD Corporation 990FXA-UD3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA)
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AVVS-63M8B0 (SATA)
111GB KINGSTON SV300S37A120G (SSD)
Corsair 700W GS

99%-70% gpu usage and drops for 20-30 in all my games like( Ac unity, MG ground zeroes, skyrim, Far cry 4) it's hard to play because i'm playing with 50-60 fps then its drops for 25-20 LOL except in League of legends, cs.go...

Posted 12/31/2014 07:46 PM   
Do These Help? These were taken in offline Mode with Bots Casual Deathmatch... I mean the first two shots are like 55-69 FPS not even online just embarrassing [url]http://imgur.com/a/bmM7d[/url] [url]http://imgur.com/e0SUSSs[/url] This one the GPU Load / Percentage and FPS Shoot up when you scope in a weapon and shoot way down when you take scope off and 368 FPS [url]http://imgur.com/0RLY0IM[/url]
Do These Help? These were taken in offline Mode with Bots Casual Deathmatch...
I mean the first two shots are like 55-69 FPS not even online just embarrassing

http://imgur.com/a/bmM7d

http://imgur.com/e0SUSSs

This one the GPU Load / Percentage and FPS Shoot up when you scope in a weapon and shoot way down when you take scope off and 368 FPS
http://imgur.com/0RLY0IM

---Specs---
EVGA GTX 970 Stock
AMD FX 8350 OC to 4.5ghz
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+
Windows 8.1

Posted 12/31/2014 07:45 PM   
[quote="NVGareth"]Hi guys. Just wanted to update you that the investigation is still ongoing. We've been testing on a range of system configurations and games as close as possible to the ones you've reported this behavior on, but haven't yet been able to reproduce the issue. The testing results so far have either shown very fast performance as expected, or performance drops that happen on any GPU, so their source is elsewhere in the system. And the logs we've analyzed so far have shown signs of CPU bottlenecking, as the game/settings used simply don't push the GPU to its full potential. Keep in mind that low utilization percentage by itself isn't a problem unless it goes along with framerate/stutter issues that are specific to the GPU (and don't occur when running the same game/settings/etc. on a different GPU in that computer). So does Nvidia believe it is acceptable to wait 11+ days after this comment to update us again, and I mean a real update. We are continuing to test, and please continue to send me logs. In particular, we'd love to see side-by-side fraps fps/gpu-z charts showing worse performance on a 970 than an older GPU, when running the same game in the same system. Thank you for your patience, and I apologize that this is proving so difficult to pin down. [/quote] More than 11 Days ago and no update
NVGareth said:Hi guys. Just wanted to update you that the investigation is still ongoing. We've been testing on a range of system configurations and games as close as possible to the ones you've reported this behavior on, but haven't yet been able to reproduce the issue. The testing results so far have either shown very fast performance as expected, or performance drops that happen on any GPU, so their source is elsewhere in the system. And the logs we've analyzed so far have shown signs of CPU bottlenecking, as the game/settings used simply don't push the GPU to its full potential.

Keep in mind that low utilization percentage by itself isn't a problem unless it goes along with framerate/stutter issues that are specific to the GPU (and don't occur when running the same game/settings/etc. on a different GPU in that computer).

So does Nvidia believe it is acceptable to wait 11+ days after this comment to update us again, and I mean a real update.

We are continuing to test, and please continue to send me logs. In particular, we'd love to see side-by-side fraps fps/gpu-z charts showing worse performance on a 970 than an older GPU, when running the same game in the same system.

Thank you for your patience, and I apologize that this is proving so difficult to pin down.

More than 11 Days ago and no update

---Specs---
EVGA GTX 970 Stock
AMD FX 8350 OC to 4.5ghz
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+
Windows 8.1

Posted 12/31/2014 08:44 PM   
There is no way that Thomas Was Alone should lag on an Intel I5 2500k + GTX970. There is no way that my CPU is not powerful enough to run that game so i am really starting to doubt that this issue is being caused by a CPU bottleneck, especially with games like Thomas Was alone lagging on my system while far cry 4 runs just fine despite being quite a bit more graphically complex. I guess at least i get to enjoy secrets during loading screens now... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq5VaUPuHsU&feature=youtu.be
There is no way that Thomas Was Alone should lag on an Intel I5 2500k + GTX970. There is no way that my CPU is not powerful enough to run that game so i am really starting to doubt that this issue is being caused by a CPU bottleneck, especially with games like Thomas Was alone lagging on my system while far cry 4 runs just fine despite being quite a bit more graphically complex.
I guess at least i get to enjoy secrets during loading screens now...

Posted 12/31/2014 11:39 PM   
[quote="Strontium_Dog"][quote="Sora"]unlikely, far as i can tell it just seems to be increased driver cpu usage with d3d9 titles. i'd need to have an affected system handy to profile the driver and kernel times though. Anyone want to attach Very Sleepy to an affected game?[/quote] what I am seeing is a lack of driver and cpu usage in dx9 titles and working as intended with dx11 titles. Odd how that is completely the opposite of what you are quoting. p.s isn't intelVtune better than sleepy anyhow? [/quote] I could't have said it better myself this is definitely an issue with older games running directx 9 and works fine for newer more up to date directx 11. Its likely that they aren't going to work on driver updates for older games unless there is video proof that a lower card is performing better. No more nonsense of complaining about the problem and just post pics and link to comparisons with lower cards that are performing better than the 970..
Strontium_Dog said:

I could't have said it better myself this is definitely an issue with older games running directx 9 and works fine for newer more up to date directx 11. Its likely that they aren't going to work on driver updates for older games unless there is video proof that a lower card is performing better. No more nonsense of complaining about the problem and just post pics and link to comparisons with lower cards that are performing better than the 970..

Posted 01/01/2015 02:49 AM   
  64 / 174    
Scroll To Top