Dreamfall Chapters
  1 / 13    
Hey guys, There's already a thread on the Red Thread Games forum, and Ragnar (game director) has expressed interest in getting Dreamfall Chapters working in 3D. This is a series I've loved from the release of the first game, and I'd really appreciate people posting and adding your voice for support in their forums. Thread here. http://redthreadgames.com/forum/topic/326-stereoscopic-3d/
Hey guys,

There's already a thread on the Red Thread Games forum, and Ragnar (game director) has expressed interest in getting Dreamfall Chapters working in 3D. This is a series I've loved from the release of the first game, and I'd really appreciate people posting and adding your voice for support in their forums. Thread here.

http://redthreadgames.com/forum/topic/326-stereoscopic-3d/

Posted 10/15/2014 10:22 AM   
Looking forward to this one - I was one of the kickstarter backers :)
Looking forward to this one - I was one of the kickstarter backers :)

2x Geforce GTX 980 in SLI provided by NVIDIA, i7 6700K 4GHz CPU, Asus 27" VG278HE 144Hz 3D Monitor, BenQ W1070 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screens YardMaster 2, 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD, 4x750GB HDD in RAID5, Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard, Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition Case, Corsair RM850i PSU, HTC Vive, Win 10 64bit

Alienware M17x R4 w/ built in 3D, Intel i7 3740QM, GTX 680m 2GB, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, Win7 64bit, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750GB HDD

Pre-release 3D fixes, shadertool.py and other goodies: http://github.com/DarkStarSword/3d-fixes
Support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/DarkStarSword or PayPal: https://www.paypal.me/DarkStarSword

Posted 10/15/2014 01:50 PM   
Post on the thread :)
Post on the thread :)

Posted 10/15/2014 03:04 PM   
Looks like it's launching in a borderless window, which prevents 3d from activating. I can't find a way to force it to fullscreen yet, I've asked them for help on the forums, and their Steam forums. Hopefully that's an easy fix.
Looks like it's launching in a borderless window, which prevents 3d from activating. I can't find a way to force it to fullscreen yet, I've asked them for help on the forums, and their Steam forums. Hopefully that's an easy fix.

Posted 10/21/2014 03:14 PM   
[quote="Pirateguybrush"]Looks like it's launching in a borderless window, which prevents 3d from activating. I can't find a way to force it to fullscreen yet, I've asked them for help on the forums, and their Steam forums. Hopefully that's an easy fix.[/quote] DX11 or DX9? Try adding it to WOW profile. If that works and 3D Vision Kicks in I can teach you how you create your own profile for the game;))
Pirateguybrush said:Looks like it's launching in a borderless window, which prevents 3d from activating. I can't find a way to force it to fullscreen yet, I've asked them for help on the forums, and their Steam forums. Hopefully that's an easy fix.

DX11 or DX9?

Try adding it to WOW profile. If that works and 3D Vision Kicks in I can teach you how you create your own profile for the game;))

Life is as empty without Terror, as is without Love...
But thou Chaos can be beautiful...
It can not last...

-
2x Asus GTX 980Ti Strix (OC edition), Custom Water-cooling to kick the Temperature & Noise arse ^_^
-3x Asus VG278HE 3D Vision 2 monitors (3D Surround)
i7 4790K @ 5.0Ghz ontop of Asus Maximus VII Ranger
DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2133
RAID0 256GB SSDs
RAID0 2TB Mechanical HDD (WD Black)
-
Alienware M17x R5
GT880M (8GB VRAM)
120hz 3D Samsung LCD Panel

16gb 1600Mhz DDR3
256GB SSD + 1TB mechanical HDD
-
Alienware M14x R1
GT555M (1.5GB VRAM) - Regular LG LCD
8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
256 SSD + 512GB mechanical HDD
-
Paypal for donations: tavyhome@gmail.com

Posted 10/21/2014 03:46 PM   
Good idea, helifax! WoW profile works, so does Prototype, Arkham Origins, AC4, Watch Dogs, Aion, Witcher. Unfortunately, it's horribly, horribly broken on all of them (worse on Protype). I'll post a couple screenshots in a moment. I can pretty much confirm it's DX11, as helixmod doesn't load (and the devs have previously said it will be). I would really, really, really like to play this game in 3D. I've been a huge fan of The Longest Journey and Dreamfall since they first came out, to the point where I've made the trip to Norway (while I was already in Europe), to meet Ragnar and the team at Funcom. That said, this is looking pretty bad, and my understanding is that Unity can be a tough engine to work with. So if this can't be fixed/the interest in fixing it isn't there, I understand. I do think Mike indicated an interest at some point though, so hopefully he'll take a look. But to my untrained eyes, it doesn't look good.
Good idea, helifax!

WoW profile works, so does Prototype, Arkham Origins, AC4, Watch Dogs, Aion, Witcher. Unfortunately, it's horribly, horribly broken on all of them (worse on Protype). I'll post a couple screenshots in a moment. I can pretty much confirm it's DX11, as helixmod doesn't load (and the devs have previously said it will be).

I would really, really, really like to play this game in 3D. I've been a huge fan of The Longest Journey and Dreamfall since they first came out, to the point where I've made the trip to Norway (while I was already in Europe), to meet Ragnar and the team at Funcom.

That said, this is looking pretty bad, and my understanding is that Unity can be a tough engine to work with. So if this can't be fixed/the interest in fixing it isn't there, I understand. I do think Mike indicated an interest at some point though, so hopefully he'll take a look. But to my untrained eyes, it doesn't look good.

Posted 10/21/2014 04:13 PM   
Unity can be a tough engine since it's shader compiler doesn't add headers to the shader assembly, but if they're just using the standard shaders in Unity we may be able to fix them following the same pattern as previous fixes (I've written a shader database to help identify these - I just* need to throw a UI on it, make the web API public and build it for Windows) and we can see the original source code to some of them in the free version of Unity (e.g. for lights/shadows look under Editor\Standard Packages\Projectors.unityPackage). I seem to have been working on fixes for a bunch of Unity games lately and I'll be downloading this today - I'm definitely willing to help out with a fix :) * From experience, "throwing a UI" on something can take longer than writing the something did in the first place, so it may be a while before this is out, though the work in progress is up on my github 3d-fixes repository.
Unity can be a tough engine since it's shader compiler doesn't add headers to the shader assembly, but if they're just using the standard shaders in Unity we may be able to fix them following the same pattern as previous fixes (I've written a shader database to help identify these - I just* need to throw a UI on it, make the web API public and build it for Windows) and we can see the original source code to some of them in the free version of Unity (e.g. for lights/shadows look under Editor\Standard Packages\Projectors.unityPackage).

I seem to have been working on fixes for a bunch of Unity games lately and I'll be downloading this today - I'm definitely willing to help out with a fix :)

* From experience, "throwing a UI" on something can take longer than writing the something did in the first place, so it may be a while before this is out, though the work in progress is up on my github 3d-fixes repository.

2x Geforce GTX 980 in SLI provided by NVIDIA, i7 6700K 4GHz CPU, Asus 27" VG278HE 144Hz 3D Monitor, BenQ W1070 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screens YardMaster 2, 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD, 4x750GB HDD in RAID5, Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard, Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition Case, Corsair RM850i PSU, HTC Vive, Win 10 64bit

Alienware M17x R4 w/ built in 3D, Intel i7 3740QM, GTX 680m 2GB, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, Win7 64bit, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750GB HDD

Pre-release 3D fixes, shadertool.py and other goodies: http://github.com/DarkStarSword/3d-fixes
Support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/DarkStarSword or PayPal: https://www.paypal.me/DarkStarSword

Posted 10/21/2014 10:59 PM   
Thanks DarkStar, that would be fantastic if you're able to do it. Oh, and I know everyone here is usually pretty good about spoilers, but if possible I'd prefer to keep screenshots limited to what's already shown on the store page.
Thanks DarkStar, that would be fantastic if you're able to do it. Oh, and I know everyone here is usually pretty good about spoilers, but if possible I'd prefer to keep screenshots limited to what's already shown on the store page.

Posted 10/22/2014 01:24 AM   
[quote="DarkStarSword"]Unity can be a tough engine since it's shader compiler doesn't add headers to the shader assembly, but if they're just using the standard shaders in Unity we may be able to fix them following the same pattern as previous fixes (I've written a shader database to help identify these - I just* need to throw a UI on it, make the web API public and build it for Windows) and we can see the original source code to some of them in the free version of Unity (e.g. for lights/shadows look under Editor\Standard Packages\Projectors.unityPackage). I seem to have been working on fixes for a bunch of Unity games lately and I'll be downloading this today - I'm definitely willing to help out with a fix :) * From experience, "throwing a UI" on something can take longer than writing the something did in the first place, so it may be a while before this is out, though the work in progress is up on my github 3d-fixes repository.[/quote]This is AWESOME! Thanks for looking into the Unity shaders. I had thought for a long time that maybe we go about it a bit backwards to fix stuff after the fact in a known engine like Unity. It'd be amazing if you can narrow down stuff like shadows where we could drop in a proper replacement as a fix. Not sure it's helpful, but there is a Unity plugin that already does 3D Vision. There is a free example I think. This might be helpful if you were trying to work out how to make a shadow shader work in 3D Vision, but the alternate cameras used in the plugin wouldn't really map to automatic mode. http://u3d.as/content/dembeta-sl/active-stereoscopic-3d-for-unity/2Vt
DarkStarSword said:Unity can be a tough engine since it's shader compiler doesn't add headers to the shader assembly, but if they're just using the standard shaders in Unity we may be able to fix them following the same pattern as previous fixes (I've written a shader database to help identify these - I just* need to throw a UI on it, make the web API public and build it for Windows) and we can see the original source code to some of them in the free version of Unity (e.g. for lights/shadows look under Editor\Standard Packages\Projectors.unityPackage).

I seem to have been working on fixes for a bunch of Unity games lately and I'll be downloading this today - I'm definitely willing to help out with a fix :)

* From experience, "throwing a UI" on something can take longer than writing the something did in the first place, so it may be a while before this is out, though the work in progress is up on my github 3d-fixes repository.
This is AWESOME! Thanks for looking into the Unity shaders. I had thought for a long time that maybe we go about it a bit backwards to fix stuff after the fact in a known engine like Unity. It'd be amazing if you can narrow down stuff like shadows where we could drop in a proper replacement as a fix.

Not sure it's helpful, but there is a Unity plugin that already does 3D Vision. There is a free example I think. This might be helpful if you were trying to work out how to make a shadow shader work in 3D Vision, but the alternate cameras used in the plugin wouldn't really map to automatic mode.

http://u3d.as/content/dembeta-sl/active-stereoscopic-3d-for-unity/2Vt

Acer H5360 (1280x720@120Hz) - ASUS VG248QE with GSync mod - 3D Vision 1&2 - Driver 372.54
GTX 970 - i5-4670K@4.2GHz - 12GB RAM - Win7x64+evilKB2670838 - 4 Disk X25 RAID
SAGER NP9870-S - GTX 980 - i7-6700K - Win10 Pro 1607
Latest 3Dmigoto Release
Bo3b's School for ShaderHackers

Posted 10/22/2014 04:39 AM   
BTW, this game is DX9. I took a quick look with the debugger and it loads d3d9.dll. There is also an OpenGL.dll dependency, which might be how Unity is coded internally, and help explain why we don't have any headers. That also suggests it might be worth taking a look with Helifax's wrapper.
BTW, this game is DX9. I took a quick look with the debugger and it loads d3d9.dll.

There is also an OpenGL.dll dependency, which might be how Unity is coded internally, and help explain why we don't have any headers. That also suggests it might be worth taking a look with Helifax's wrapper.

Acer H5360 (1280x720@120Hz) - ASUS VG248QE with GSync mod - 3D Vision 1&2 - Driver 372.54
Latest 3Dmigoto Release

Posted 10/22/2014 04:41 AM   
I couldn't get the debugger to show the red text, though I only made a brief attempt. When I asked the devs on the backer forums months ago, they said they were aiming for DX11. I guess they changed their minds. With the OpenGLL dependency, is that fairly unique or something that might be happening in other Unity games?
I couldn't get the debugger to show the red text, though I only made a brief attempt. When I asked the devs on the backer forums months ago, they said they were aiming for DX11. I guess they changed their minds.

With the OpenGLL dependency, is that fairly unique or something that might be happening in other Unity games?

Posted 10/22/2014 04:52 AM   
Not sure about the OpenGL dll, I haven't looked at Unity games in any depth. Unity does support DX11, but this game doesn't load d3d11.dll on my system (which of course is DX11 capable, SLI 760). They might have changed their minds to avoid locking out other players with older equipment or to support Linux or something. To be honest, DX11 seems like a bit of cruel joke to me. I have yet to see any game that seems genuinely better than what you could do with the simpler and more compatible DX9. Tesselation, and slightly better multi-threading for performance seems to be about it.
Not sure about the OpenGL dll, I haven't looked at Unity games in any depth.

Unity does support DX11, but this game doesn't load d3d11.dll on my system (which of course is DX11 capable, SLI 760). They might have changed their minds to avoid locking out other players with older equipment or to support Linux or something.

To be honest, DX11 seems like a bit of cruel joke to me. I have yet to see any game that seems genuinely better than what you could do with the simpler and more compatible DX9. Tesselation, and slightly better multi-threading for performance seems to be about it.

Latest 3Dmigoto Release

Posted 10/22/2014 05:18 AM   
Could this be related? http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/178276-valve-open-sources-its-directx-to-opengl-translation-software-here-come-the-steamos-and-linux-games
No, that's going the other direction DX9->OpenGL. This game is apparently doing OpenGL->DX9. Also, this is something that is in Unity's financial interest, as one of their primary selling points is cross compatibility across all hardware.
No, that's going the other direction DX9->OpenGL. This game is apparently doing OpenGL->DX9. Also, this is something that is in Unity's financial interest, as one of their primary selling points is cross compatibility across all hardware.

Latest 3Dmigoto Release

Posted 10/22/2014 05:30 AM   
First impression is that it is pretty broken, but in ways that look kind of familiar. I tried with and without profiles that set UseStereoMatrix - with it some of the halo glitches are fixed, but I get severe flickering (e.g. on characters) which worries me, so I'm thinking it might be best to use a profile that doesn't set it (e.g. "3D-Hub Player") that even though it might mean we have to fix more shaders. Pirateguybrush - did any of the profiles you tried stand out as being particularly better than the others, at least in terms of not flickering? I also had to set InitMouse = false so the mouse would work in game (it works fine in the menus either way) - same thing happened in Montague's Mount. My shader database tells me that a *lot* of shaders in this game (248) have been involved in prior fixes: http://darkstarsword.net/dreamfall_chapters.txt
First impression is that it is pretty broken, but in ways that look kind of familiar.

I tried with and without profiles that set UseStereoMatrix - with it some of the halo glitches are fixed, but I get severe flickering (e.g. on characters) which worries me, so I'm thinking it might be best to use a profile that doesn't set it (e.g. "3D-Hub Player") that even though it might mean we have to fix more shaders.

Pirateguybrush - did any of the profiles you tried stand out as being particularly better than the others, at least in terms of not flickering?

I also had to set InitMouse = false so the mouse would work in game (it works fine in the menus either way) - same thing happened in Montague's Mount.

My shader database tells me that a *lot* of shaders in this game (248) have been involved in prior fixes:

http://darkstarsword.net/dreamfall_chapters.txt

Posted 10/22/2014 09:01 AM   
  1 / 13    
Scroll To Top