32gb 344.16 temporary crash fix windows 8.1
  1 / 2    
For all those windows 8.1 with 32gb Ram Nvidia 9xx users having problems with games crashing all over the place, this is a temporary fix which if, like me, you can't be bothered to remove a memory stick from your machine. I don't know if windows versions prior to 8.1 suffer, but the fix should be equally viable Press the windows key and type msconfig.exe run msconfig.exe and click on the "Boot" tab click "Advanced Options" put a tick in Maximum Memory and type the value as 24672 (24gb) reboot and the video card should behave as though you only had 24gb physically installed Obviously when (if?) Nvidia get round to fixing this, follow the steps above and untick the Maximum Memory box and reboot
For all those windows 8.1 with 32gb Ram Nvidia 9xx users having problems with games crashing all over the place, this is a temporary fix which if, like me, you can't be bothered to remove a memory stick from your machine.
I don't know if windows versions prior to 8.1 suffer, but the fix should be equally viable

Press the windows key and type msconfig.exe
run msconfig.exe and click on the "Boot" tab
click "Advanced Options" put a tick in Maximum Memory and type the value as 24672 (24gb)
reboot and the video card should behave as though you only had 24gb physically installed

Obviously when (if?) Nvidia get round to fixing this, follow the steps above and untick the Maximum Memory box and reboot
Attachments

bootmem.png

Posted 10/06/2014 06:05 PM   
bump due to this post being caught by the spam filters!
bump due to this post being caught by the spam filters!

Posted 10/12/2014 03:40 PM   
Does this really works? Anyone tryed it yet?
Does this really works? Anyone tryed it yet?

'what you do in life echoes in eternity"

Posted 10/12/2014 05:40 PM   
It certainly worked for me :)
It certainly worked for me :)

Posted 10/12/2014 06:14 PM   
It worked for me too! I have 32gb of ram on my system! no my games run fine! Thanks for this friend!
It worked for me too! I have 32gb of ram on my system! no my games run fine! Thanks for this friend!

'what you do in life echoes in eternity"

Posted 10/12/2014 06:47 PM   
My pleasure!
My pleasure!

Posted 10/12/2014 08:02 PM   
[quote="PC_Arcade"]For all those windows 8.1 with 32gb Ram Nvidia 9xx users having problems with games crashing all over the place, this is a temporary fix which if, like me, you can't be bothered to remove a memory stick from your machine. I don't know if windows versions prior to 8.1 suffer, but the fix should be equally viable Press the windows key and type msconfig.exe run msconfig.exe and click on the "Boot" tab click "Advanced Options" put a tick in Maximum Memory and type the value as 24672 (24gb) reboot and the video card should behave as though you only had 24gb physically installed Obviously when (if?) Nvidia get round to fixing this, follow the steps above and untick the Maximum Memory box and reboot[/quote] ....nice one ;-)
PC_Arcade said:For all those windows 8.1 with 32gb Ram Nvidia 9xx users having problems with games crashing all over the place, this is a temporary fix which if, like me, you can't be bothered to remove a memory stick from your machine.
I don't know if windows versions prior to 8.1 suffer, but the fix should be equally viable

click "Advanced Options" put a tick in Maximum Memory and type the value as 24672 (24gb)
reboot and the video card should behave as though you only had 24gb physically installed

Obviously when (if?) Nvidia get round to fixing this, follow the steps above and untick the Maximum Memory box and reboot

....nice one ;-)

Gigabyte Z77-D3H V1.0 (BIOS F23 modded) | Intel CPU i5-3570K (integrated HD4000 graphics) | 8GB Kingston RAM | Samsung SSD 830 120GB
ASUS Strix GTX960 (STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5) | BeQuiet Dark Power Pro with 750W | Samsung SyncMaster 2443 Monitor | Win7 SP1 x64
-------------------------------------------
Experiencing Windows crashes/BSOD/Bluescreens which might be related to nVIDIA drivers?
Use 'WhoCrashed' by Resplendence or 'BlueScreenView' by NirSoft to get more details!
Instant Online Crash Dump Analysis --> 'Instant Online Crash Analysis' by OSR Online
TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) and Collecting Dump Files --> Info here
Misc stuff:
GIGABYTE Motherboards - latest BETA-BIOS by http://forums.tweaktown.com
A simple, lightweight and free GPU monitoring utility - GPU Shark

Maybe helpful NVIDIA related links:
driver v340.xx !!! EOL Windows driver support for legacy products !!! driver v340.xx
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) by forum member 'Wagnard'
Install just NVIDIA Graphics Driver ---> Custom install options > Custom (Advanced)
NVIDIA GPU maximum operating temperature and overheating
How to enable NVIDIA Graphics Driver and GeForce Experience installer logging
Download Beta and Older NVIDIA Drivers

How to provide valuable feedback to NVIDIA

If you want someone from the NVIDIA TECHNICAL SUPPORT team to work with you on an issue/bug.
NVIDIA software (automated) bug reporting tool
NVIDIA Display Driver Feedback Form or email to driverfeedback@nvidia.com

Posted 10/13/2014 09:06 PM   
[quote="PC_Arcade"]For all those windows 8.1 with 32gb Ram Nvidia 9xx users having problems with games crashing all over the place, this is a temporary fix which if, like me, you can't be bothered to remove a memory stick from your machine. I don't know if windows versions prior to 8.1 suffer, but the fix should be equally viable Press the windows key and type msconfig.exe run msconfig.exe and click on the "Boot" tab click "Advanced Options" put a tick in Maximum Memory and type the value as 24672 (24gb) reboot and the video card should behave as though you only had 24gb physically installed Obviously when (if?) Nvidia get round to fixing this, follow the steps above and untick the Maximum Memory box and reboot[/quote] Currently running with this fix using 30720 as my boot RAM value - seems OK so far. I'm willing to bet there's an overflow hiding in the code somewhere that's tripping it out if the full 32gb range is present.
PC_Arcade said:For all those windows 8.1 with 32gb Ram Nvidia 9xx users having problems with games crashing all over the place, this is a temporary fix which if, like me, you can't be bothered to remove a memory stick from your machine.

Currently running with this fix using 30720 as my boot RAM value - seems OK so far. I'm willing to bet there's an overflow hiding in the code somewhere that's tripping it out if the full 32gb range is present.

Posted 10/15/2014 06:59 AM   
Does the same issue exist with 64GB ram? The solution to reduce available system ram from 32 to 24GB unfortunately sacrifices 25% of usable RAM in your system, which is far from ideal. Is there a way to log a bug and/or get a response from Nvidia on this issue? I personally need min 32GB ram for my usage. Thanks for posting the workaround though, I thought I had a bad card.
Does the same issue exist with 64GB ram?
The solution to reduce available system ram from 32 to 24GB unfortunately sacrifices 25% of usable RAM in your system, which is far from ideal.
Is there a way to log a bug and/or get a response from Nvidia on this issue?
I personally need min 32GB ram for my usage.

Thanks for posting the workaround though, I thought I had a bad card.

Posted 10/18/2014 02:15 AM   
The below threads answered my q (fix in works for next update). I'm assuming the root issue is the same. Would love an ETA on the next driver update with the fix from one of the NVIDIA moderators. https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/778775/?comment=4338758 https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/781803/?comment=4336021 Best, Luke
The below threads answered my q (fix in works for next update). I'm assuming the root issue is the same. Would love an ETA on the next driver update with the fix from one of the NVIDIA moderators.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/778775/?comment=4338758
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/781803/?comment=4336021

Best,

Luke

Posted 10/18/2014 03:01 AM   
Following those steps did not work well for me. I still had a lot of random crashes and was forced to take 16gb of memory out from 32gb. Can't believe we don't have an ETA for the next driver that will fix this issue. Very frustrating.
Following those steps did not work well for me. I still had a lot of random crashes and was forced to take 16gb of memory out from 32gb. Can't believe we don't have an ETA for the next driver that will fix this issue. Very frustrating.

Posted 10/20/2014 07:31 PM   
It's been a month since the last driver update released on 9/23/14... with the million complains from GTX 900 series video card owners... IS THERE A ETA FOR THE NEXT DRIVERS?????????
It's been a month since the last driver update released on 9/23/14... with the million complains from GTX 900 series video card owners... IS THERE A ETA FOR THE NEXT DRIVERS?????????

Posted 10/20/2014 07:36 PM   
[quote="PichiNvidia"]It's been a month since the last driver update released on 9/23/14... with the million complains from GTX 900 series video card owners... IS THERE A ETA FOR THE NEXT DRIVERS????????? [/quote] when its done.
PichiNvidia said:It's been a month since the last driver update released on 9/23/14... with the million complains from GTX 900 series video card owners... IS THERE A ETA FOR THE NEXT DRIVERS?????????

when its done.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 10/21/2014 07:04 AM   
Ok... notes of new driver don't list our issue as "fixed" :( did not try the driver yet... I hope it makes our 900 series cards stable...
Ok... notes of new driver don't list our issue as "fixed" :( did not try the driver yet... I hope it makes our 900 series cards stable...

Posted 10/22/2014 06:54 PM   
[quote="PichiNvidia"]Ok... notes of new driver don't list our issue as "fixed" :( did not try the driver yet... I hope it makes our 900 series cards stable...[/quote] --> [url]https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/775950/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-344-11-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-9-18-14-/post/4313243/#4313243[/url]: "... [b][color="orange"]End user 344.11 reported bugs fixed in next driver[/color][/b]: -Media Player Classic Home Cinema unable to play High 10 videos -Need SLI profile for Shadow of Mordor -Need SLI profile for Lichdom: Battlemage -Launching 3d app on Gsync monitor with Oculus drivers installed causes app to crash [b][color="orange"]-Crashing on systems with 32GB of ram using GTX980/970 GPU[/color][/b] -Need FIFA 15 SLI profile (single GPU only) -Doom 3 BFG edition: On loading a saved game after the character dies or when a new level loads only the HUD & light glows are visibile. Everything else appears black. -3DMark Firestrike benchmark performance low under Windows 8 -Corruption in Mafia II ..."
PichiNvidia said:Ok... notes of new driver don't list our issue as "fixed" :( did not try the driver yet... I hope it makes our 900 series cards stable...

--> https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/775950/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-344-11-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-9-18-14-/post/4313243/#4313243:

"...
End user 344.11 reported bugs fixed in next driver:
-Media Player Classic Home Cinema unable to play High 10 videos
-Need SLI profile for Shadow of Mordor
-Need SLI profile for Lichdom: Battlemage
-Launching 3d app on Gsync monitor with Oculus drivers installed causes app to crash
-Crashing on systems with 32GB of ram using GTX980/970 GPU
-Need FIFA 15 SLI profile (single GPU only)
-Doom 3 BFG edition: On loading a saved game after the character dies or when a new level loads only the HUD & light glows are visibile. Everything else appears black.
-3DMark Firestrike benchmark performance low under Windows 8
-Corruption in Mafia II
..."

Gigabyte Z77-D3H V1.0 (BIOS F23 modded) | Intel CPU i5-3570K (integrated HD4000 graphics) | 8GB Kingston RAM | Samsung SSD 830 120GB
ASUS Strix GTX960 (STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5) | BeQuiet Dark Power Pro with 750W | Samsung SyncMaster 2443 Monitor | Win7 SP1 x64
-------------------------------------------
Experiencing Windows crashes/BSOD/Bluescreens which might be related to nVIDIA drivers?
Use 'WhoCrashed' by Resplendence or 'BlueScreenView' by NirSoft to get more details!
Instant Online Crash Dump Analysis --> 'Instant Online Crash Analysis' by OSR Online
TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) and Collecting Dump Files --> Info here
Misc stuff:
GIGABYTE Motherboards - latest BETA-BIOS by http://forums.tweaktown.com
A simple, lightweight and free GPU monitoring utility - GPU Shark

Maybe helpful NVIDIA related links:
driver v340.xx !!! EOL Windows driver support for legacy products !!! driver v340.xx
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) by forum member 'Wagnard'
Install just NVIDIA Graphics Driver ---> Custom install options > Custom (Advanced)
NVIDIA GPU maximum operating temperature and overheating
How to enable NVIDIA Graphics Driver and GeForce Experience installer logging
Download Beta and Older NVIDIA Drivers

How to provide valuable feedback to NVIDIA

If you want someone from the NVIDIA TECHNICAL SUPPORT team to work with you on an issue/bug.
NVIDIA software (automated) bug reporting tool
NVIDIA Display Driver Feedback Form or email to driverfeedback@nvidia.com

Posted 10/22/2014 07:09 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top