Cracked Edges
  1 / 70    
Myself and others have noticed the edges of our Shield Tablet's cracking on multiple sides, possibly due to heat expansion. (pic: [url]http://i.imgur.com/eCWRnX5.jpg[/url]) Is Nvidia aware of this issue? Currently it isn't anything except a minor cosmetic issue but I worry that it could cause problems.
Myself and others have noticed the edges of our Shield Tablet's cracking on multiple sides, possibly due to heat expansion. (pic: http://i.imgur.com/eCWRnX5.jpg) Is Nvidia aware of this issue? Currently it isn't anything except a minor cosmetic issue but I worry that it could cause problems.

Posted 08/08/2014 12:02 AM   
I can confirm that the 2 top edges of my tablet are beginning to crack as well. I am taking this back to Gamestop immediately. In between the WiFi issues i am having, a quirky robotic sounding speaker issue, and these new cracks i am not willing to deal with this anymore.
I can confirm that the 2 top edges of my tablet are beginning to crack as well. I am taking this back to Gamestop immediately. In between the WiFi issues i am having, a quirky robotic sounding speaker issue, and these new cracks i am not willing to deal with this anymore.

Posted 08/08/2014 12:09 AM   
Ugh, I'm getting the same thing (in addition to the wifi problems). I haven't even worked this thing enough to get it hot. Of course, if I return it I will be paying shipping on top of a $45 restocking fee.
Ugh, I'm getting the same thing (in addition to the wifi problems). I haven't even worked this thing enough to get it hot. Of course, if I return it I will be paying shipping on top of a $45 restocking fee.

Posted 08/08/2014 12:29 AM   
If you look at a brand new one, it's has edges at each corner where I assume the rubber surrounding was glued to each other from all four or three parts. I'm assuming that's the part where it's breaking apart.
If you look at a brand new one, it's has edges at each corner where I assume the rubber surrounding was glued to each other from all four or three parts. I'm assuming that's the part where it's breaking apart.

Posted 08/08/2014 12:40 AM   
Mine is cracking about a quarter inch away, at a slight angle - I'd actually prefer it crack at the seams, as those are straight and would look intentional rather than like damage to the tablet.
Mine is cracking about a quarter inch away, at a slight angle - I'd actually prefer it crack at the seams, as those are straight and would look intentional rather than like damage to the tablet.

Posted 08/08/2014 12:43 AM   
Yeah,just compared it with a total of 3 shield tablets, one of them brand new opened box and they all have this cut-ins at each edge. But they are definately not split like the one on the OP's picture. As mentioned, it's probably some adhesive that's coming off.
Yeah,just compared it with a total of 3 shield tablets, one of them brand new opened box and they all have this cut-ins at each edge. But they are definately not split like the one on the OP's picture. As mentioned, it's probably some adhesive that's coming off.

Posted 08/08/2014 12:54 AM   
That sucks wish I wouldn't have read this post mine has a chip missing out of the corner and slight crack on another. Would have never payed attention until this post now it bothers me .I have never even dropped this so I'm pretty dissapointed. the chip and crack are on the top left corner seems to be the same as everyone else.
That sucks wish I wouldn't have read this post mine has a chip missing out of the corner and slight crack on another. Would have never payed attention until this post now it bothers me .I have never even dropped this so I'm pretty dissapointed. the chip and crack are on the top left corner seems to be the same as everyone else.

Posted 08/08/2014 01:55 AM   
Have not seen any cracks so far on my tablet.
Have not seen any cracks so far on my tablet.

Posted 08/08/2014 03:20 AM   
I also have this!!! :( now I wish I hadn't seen the thread sort of :\
I also have this!!! :( now I wish I hadn't seen the thread sort of :\

CPU: i7 3930k 6core 4.6ghz
Gpu: Gtx 780
PC Gamer|Indie Game Dev|Live-streamer

Posted 08/08/2014 03:29 AM   
Just checked mine out too, looks like I have the hairline cracks as well. Probably going to return it, this is not acceptable at all Nvidia.
Just checked mine out too, looks like I have the hairline cracks as well. Probably going to return it, this is not acceptable at all Nvidia.

GTX 780 Ti, Shield Tablet

Posted 08/08/2014 03:56 AM   
[quote="djricekcn"]Yeah,just compared it with a total of 3 shield tablets, one of them brand new opened box and they all have this cut-ins at each edge. But they are definately not split like the one on the OP's picture. As mentioned, it's probably some adhesive that's coming off.[/quote] Mine looks intentional. All in the same spot on each corner. They are all straight. Are we sure they are not supposed to be there or are we saying if I leave a 3D game on for a few hours and she gets hot they will expand like the first pic. It would be nice if someone from Nvidia would chime in???
djricekcn said:Yeah,just compared it with a total of 3 shield tablets, one of them brand new opened box and they all have this cut-ins at each edge. But they are definately not split like the one on the OP's picture. As mentioned, it's probably some adhesive that's coming off.

Mine looks intentional. All in the same spot on each corner. They are all straight. Are we sure they are not supposed to be there or are we saying if I leave a 3D game on for a few hours and she gets hot they will expand like the first pic. It would be nice if someone from Nvidia would chime in???

Posted 08/08/2014 04:05 AM   
[quote="Supacat"][quote="djricekcn"]Yeah,just compared it with a total of 3 shield tablets, one of them brand new opened box and they all have this cut-ins at each edge. But they are definately not split like the one on the OP's picture. As mentioned, it's probably some adhesive that's coming off.[/quote] Mine looks intentional. All in the same spot on each corner. They are all straight. Are we sure they are not supposed to be there or are we saying if I leave a 3D game on for a few hours and she gets hot they will expand like the first pic. It would be nice if someone from Nvidia would chime in???[/quote] In the case your theory is true, then OP's picture still indicated some sort of case failure, since it does not look perfectly straight like the ones that are in my tablet (all 4 corners).
Supacat said:
djricekcn said:Yeah,just compared it with a total of 3 shield tablets, one of them brand new opened box and they all have this cut-ins at each edge. But they are definately not split like the one on the OP's picture. As mentioned, it's probably some adhesive that's coming off.

Mine looks intentional. All in the same spot on each corner. They are all straight. Are we sure they are not supposed to be there or are we saying if I leave a 3D game on for a few hours and she gets hot they will expand like the first pic. It would be nice if someone from Nvidia would chime in???

In the case your theory is true, then OP's picture still indicated some sort of case failure, since it does not look perfectly straight like the ones that are in my tablet (all 4 corners).

Posted 08/08/2014 04:11 AM   
I have one as well. Thought it was just me. Between the wi-fi problems and now this, I'm just wondering what other surprises are in store for us... [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SYBl6ic.jpg[/IMG]
I have one as well. Thought it was just me. Between the wi-fi problems and now this, I'm just wondering what other surprises are in store for us...

Posted 08/08/2014 04:11 AM   
Regardless on the answer I am definitely getting a Squaretrade on this. I also wish they would fix gamestreaming too as it used to work like a champ on my portable. Ugh the list of stuff is growing with not a peep from Nvidia.
Regardless on the answer I am definitely getting a Squaretrade on this. I also wish they would fix gamestreaming too as it used to work like a champ on my portable. Ugh the list of stuff is growing with not a peep from Nvidia.

Posted 08/08/2014 04:14 AM   
[quote="Equinoux"]I have one as well. Thought it was just me. Between the wi-fi problems and now this, I'm just wondering what other surprises are in store for us... [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SYBl6ic.jpg[/IMG][/quote] Just curious but did you look carefully? Do you have it at all 4 corners like some of us?
Equinoux said:I have one as well. Thought it was just me. Between the wi-fi problems and now this, I'm just wondering what other surprises are in store for us...

Just curious but did you look carefully? Do you have it at all 4 corners like some of us?

Posted 08/08/2014 04:15 AM   
  1 / 70    
Scroll To Top