Help downgrade from update 77
Can someone tell me how to downgrade to the version prior to update 77? streaming is completely broken with this update. I cant find the previous update file or version number.
Can someone tell me how to downgrade to the version prior to update 77? streaming is completely broken with this update. I cant find the previous update file or version number.

Posted 06/08/2014 03:46 PM   
update 77? can you be more specific, from what I can tell from the listed drivers there is no 77. The current drivers are 337.88
update 77? can you be more specific, from what I can tell from the listed drivers there is no 77. The current drivers are 337.88

EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6 gb / FX3850 8 core 4.0 Mhz / Memory 1600 ddr3 24 gb / Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 rev.3 / EVO LABS bronze 650w PSU / 1 tb Hybrid hd / Asus 1080p monitor

Posted 06/08/2014 05:30 PM   
He's talking about the SHIELD version, not the Graphic driver version. You need Update 68 if you want to downgrade, but you'll need to downgrade Geforce experience as well.
He's talking about the SHIELD version, not the Graphic driver version.

You need Update 68 if you want to downgrade, but you'll need to downgrade Geforce experience as well.

Posted 06/08/2014 07:46 PM   
ah...thanks for that clarification HankChill:)
ah...thanks for that clarification HankChill:)

EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6 gb / FX3850 8 core 4.0 Mhz / Memory 1600 ddr3 24 gb / Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 rev.3 / EVO LABS bronze 650w PSU / 1 tb Hybrid hd / Asus 1080p monitor

Posted 06/08/2014 08:01 PM   
Going back to Jelly Bean requires your bootloader to be unlocked. After that you simply use connect your Shield to your PC, open a command prompt, and input some commands. I wrote an in-depth tutorial on rooting, which also requires unlocking the bootloader. You can simply follow steps 1-3 in this topic to unlock the bootloader. https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/732693/general-discussion/rooting-your-shield-the-why-and-how/ After that, head on over to https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-8bb5TAGlYQdGxLdlNWS2E2TkU&usp=drive_web and grab all 6 factory image files for Update 68(Last Jelly Bean Build) or Update 72(First Kit Kat Build) as well as fastboot.zip. On your Shield, boot back into your bootloader and, using the command prompt on your PC, enter these lines 1 by 1. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot flash system system.img fastboot flash userdata userdata.img fastboot flash staging blob fastboot flash dtb tegra114-roth.dtb Note, this is like reformatting a PC and will wipe everything on your internal storage. Just for safety I always remove the SD card before doing this just in case something odd happens and it wipes that for no reason as well. Being that so many users are having issues with KitKat, I may end up writing a tutorial proper for rolling back to an early update.
Going back to Jelly Bean requires your bootloader to be unlocked. After that you simply use connect your Shield to your PC, open a command prompt, and input some commands. I wrote an in-depth tutorial on rooting, which also requires unlocking the bootloader. You can simply follow steps 1-3 in this topic to unlock the bootloader.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/732693/general-discussion/rooting-your-shield-the-why-and-how/

After that, head on over to

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-8bb5TAGlYQdGxLdlNWS2E2TkU&usp=drive_web

and grab all 6 factory image files for Update 68(Last Jelly Bean Build) or Update 72(First Kit Kat Build) as well as fastboot.zip. On your Shield, boot back into your bootloader and, using the command prompt on your PC, enter these lines 1 by 1.

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot flash staging blob
fastboot flash dtb tegra114-roth.dtb

Note, this is like reformatting a PC and will wipe everything on your internal storage. Just for safety I always remove the SD card before doing this just in case something odd happens and it wipes that for no reason as well.

Being that so many users are having issues with KitKat, I may end up writing a tutorial proper for rolling back to an early update.

Posted 06/09/2014 01:38 AM   
I would really just like the latest update drivers with the update 68 jellybean intact because ever since I've been upgrading the Shield, I've stopped using it now that so many features that I need it to be working stopped working altogether. If there was a 77 update that kept the jelly bean update, this would really be useful. The biggest problem right now is once you go back, there is a good chance your gfe and drivers will have to be rolled back too.
I would really just like the latest update drivers with the update 68 jellybean intact because ever since I've been upgrading the Shield, I've stopped using it now that so many features that I need it to be working stopped working altogether.

If there was a 77 update that kept the jelly bean update, this would really be useful.

The biggest problem right now is once you go back, there is a good chance your gfe and drivers will have to be rolled back too.

3D Vision/TRIDEF User
SHIELD portable/tablet/tv

Posted 06/09/2014 04:27 AM   
I am working on a custom rom of Update 68. It has all of the Google Bloatware removed as well as Sonic 4 and Expendable. It will also have the most up to date TegraZone and the new Gamepad Mapper that debuted in Update 72. The only issues I have run into thus far are OTG Y-cable support and repacking the system.img(this is my first custom rom and I'm learning everything as I go). I am hoping to make a rom that has the stability and performance of the Jelly Bean builds without compromising any of the features that came with Kit Kat.
I am working on a custom rom of Update 68. It has all of the Google Bloatware removed as well as Sonic 4 and Expendable. It will also have the most up to date TegraZone and the new Gamepad Mapper that debuted in Update 72. The only issues I have run into thus far are OTG Y-cable support and repacking the system.img(this is my first custom rom and I'm learning everything as I go). I am hoping to make a rom that has the stability and performance of the Jelly Bean builds without compromising any of the features that came with Kit Kat.

Posted 06/09/2014 07:18 PM   
My shield was ok with the kitkat update or the one after that except for "pc is offline issue" I just want to downgrade to the previous version prior to 77 because 77 breaks everything there is no way to stream and anyone who can get proper streaming let me know. And another gripe. Back with jelly bean I never ever saw "PC is offline message" why add something so ridiculous and annoying, how is my pc offline its on in front of my face running. Jelly bean never had this issue. Oh well I dont want jelly bean, i can deal with kitat upto update 68..atleast I can restart "the pc is offline ' junk and make it stream without issues.
My shield was ok with the kitkat update or the one after that except for "pc is offline issue" I just want to downgrade to the previous version prior to 77 because 77 breaks everything there is no way to stream and anyone who can get proper streaming let me know.

And another gripe. Back with jelly bean I never ever saw "PC is offline message" why add something so ridiculous and annoying, how is my pc offline its on in front of my face running. Jelly bean never had this issue. Oh well I dont want jelly bean, i can deal with kitat upto update 68..atleast I can restart "the pc is offline ' junk and make it stream without issues.

Posted 06/10/2014 01:09 PM   
@criticalComposer if you succeed please make it so that there is no option for the "pc is offline" event to occur. This never happend in jelly bean.
@criticalComposer if you succeed please make it so that there is no option for the "pc is offline" event to occur. This never happend in jelly bean.

Posted 06/10/2014 01:15 PM   
I believe you are misinformed about these strings of updates. Jelly Bean and Kit Kat are codenames for the two latest versions of Android. Jelly Bean covers versions 4.1 - 4.3.1(API Levels 16-18). Kit Kat refers to Android 4.2 - 4.2.2(API Level 19). The update numbers, such as Update 68 and Update 77, are in reference to nVidia's OTA updates for the Shield. Update 68 was the last Shield update that used Jelly Bean. Update 72 was the first to use the new API level in Android 4.2.2(Kit Kat). You mention downgrading from Update 77 to the next one down, which is Update 72, which is pretty much the same as Update 77. The only difference is that Update 77 fixed "Apps to SD" functionality and and improved audio latency in GameStream(though I believe that has more to do with GFE 2.0.1). Finally, your issue with the "PC is Offline" has to do with an app, the TegraZone app to be precise. TegraZone got a huge update, both aesthetically and functionally, between Shield updates. While the new TegraZone appeared with Update 72, it actually had nothing to do with that other than both being upgraded in the same package. You are more than welcome to install the TegraZone app from pre-Kit Kat updates of the Shield. It won't map to the Shield button but you can launch it from the app drawer just like any app. You should then have the same experience you used to have with Gamestreaming, though you won't have remote streaming since that is a part of the updated TegraZone. Regardless, my custom rom is pretty much just swapping files between two versions of the same operating system. Removing the "PC is offline" would require reverse engineering and updating the coding to an Android app. These are two majorly different activities. I hope this clears up a bunch of stuff and levels out expectations for my custom rom for the Shield.
I believe you are misinformed about these strings of updates. Jelly Bean and Kit Kat are codenames for the two latest versions of Android. Jelly Bean covers versions 4.1 - 4.3.1(API Levels 16-18). Kit Kat refers to Android 4.2 - 4.2.2(API Level 19).

The update numbers, such as Update 68 and Update 77, are in reference to nVidia's OTA updates for the Shield. Update 68 was the last Shield update that used Jelly Bean. Update 72 was the first to use the new API level in Android 4.2.2(Kit Kat).

You mention downgrading from Update 77 to the next one down, which is Update 72, which is pretty much the same as Update 77. The only difference is that Update 77 fixed "Apps to SD" functionality and and improved audio latency in GameStream(though I believe that has more to do with GFE 2.0.1).

Finally, your issue with the "PC is Offline" has to do with an app, the TegraZone app to be precise. TegraZone got a huge update, both aesthetically and functionally, between Shield updates. While the new TegraZone appeared with Update 72, it actually had nothing to do with that other than both being upgraded in the same package. You are more than welcome to install the TegraZone app from pre-Kit Kat updates of the Shield. It won't map to the Shield button but you can launch it from the app drawer just like any app. You should then have the same experience you used to have with Gamestreaming, though you won't have remote streaming since that is a part of the updated TegraZone.

Regardless, my custom rom is pretty much just swapping files between two versions of the same operating system. Removing the "PC is offline" would require reverse engineering and updating the coding to an Android app. These are two majorly different activities.

I hope this clears up a bunch of stuff and levels out expectations for my custom rom for the Shield.

Posted 06/10/2014 05:55 PM   
Here is what I want to know. Can Nvidia create a socket user replaceable system in which the user could use any operating system and have these software upgrades work across the line of android so we can use any update to any android os version. This is what I would really like, more customization just like how we can install GeForce drivers from windows 7 to windows 8.1 with unified driver support. Then I could get jelly bean shield with the latest updates working in contingent with the latest driver releases. And actually use my device to its best potential in my case.
Here is what I want to know.

Can Nvidia create a socket user replaceable system in which the user could use any operating system and have these software upgrades work across the line of android so we can use any update to any android os version. This is what I would really like, more customization just like how we can install GeForce drivers from windows 7 to windows 8.1 with unified driver support.

Then I could get jelly bean shield with the latest updates working in contingent with the latest driver releases. And actually use my device to its best potential in my case.

3D Vision/TRIDEF User
SHIELD portable/tablet/tv

Posted 06/10/2014 09:53 PM   
While the socket user system sounds really interesting, you can downgrade to Update 68(Jelly Bean) and manually update Gamepad Mapper and TegraZone by obtaining the .apk files from the system folder in Update 77. GPM will overwrite and update but, for some reason, TegraZone installs parallel to the old one so the nVidia button will load the old one while launching from the app drawer will launch the new one. This way you get the new GPM as well as the remote gamestreaming and the most up to date TegraZone, which should work with the latest GFE. *edit* You can grab the newest Gamepad Mapper and Tegrazone apk files in the 'Update 77 System Apps' folder on my Google Drive https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-8bb5TAGlYQdGxLdlNWS2E2TkU&usp=drive_web
While the socket user system sounds really interesting, you can downgrade to Update 68(Jelly Bean) and manually update Gamepad Mapper and TegraZone by obtaining the .apk files from the system folder in Update 77. GPM will overwrite and update but, for some reason, TegraZone installs parallel to the old one so the nVidia button will load the old one while launching from the app drawer will launch the new one. This way you get the new GPM as well as the remote gamestreaming and the most up to date TegraZone, which should work with the latest GFE.

*edit*
You can grab the newest Gamepad Mapper and Tegrazone apk files in the 'Update 77 System Apps' folder on my Google Drive

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-8bb5TAGlYQdGxLdlNWS2E2TkU&usp=drive_web

Posted 06/10/2014 11:43 PM   
@ criticalcomposer, thank you for the detailed response. I dont understand one part, with update 72 streaming worked fine "pc is offline" issues did not affect streaming i could close it and reopen to stream games normally. Now at update 77 its almost impossible to stream, simply put it takes 10 to 11 tries just to launch steam or a game, which has random stutter which were never there before. This either has something to do with GFE 2.0.1 ( 2.0.1 affects Limlight streaming on Shield too) or something has changed to cause frequent connection issues in the update. Do you think there has been something affected with regards to the networking side? since my set up and most people set up's remain the same alot of people are complaining about the inability to stream or sutters with 77.
@ criticalcomposer, thank you for the detailed response. I dont understand one part, with update 72 streaming worked fine "pc is offline" issues did not affect streaming i could close it and reopen to stream games normally. Now at update 77 its almost impossible to stream, simply put it takes 10 to 11 tries just to launch steam or a game, which has random stutter which were never there before. This either has something to do with GFE 2.0.1 ( 2.0.1 affects Limlight streaming on Shield too) or something has changed to cause frequent connection issues in the update. Do you think there has been something affected with regards to the networking side? since my set up and most people set up's remain the same alot of people are complaining about the inability to stream or sutters with 77.

Posted 06/11/2014 04:30 AM   
The stuttering is most likely caused by GFE's new update, as that is the only aspect that has changed. I've checked the TegraZone apk file and both the one found in Update 72 and Update 77 seem to be identical. I have noticed a lot more complaints about streaming since Update 77 and I really have no clue what might have happened. nVidia is pretty good about having detailed changelogs and Update 77's was pretty short http://shield.nvidia.com/release-notes/ I was looking for the changelog for GFE and couldn't find it, I can only find what was added in the most current version, and it happens to be 2.1. If you don't have this already, I would suggest updating and see if that works. If that doesn't work, or you are already running 2.1, drop back to 2.0.1 and see if that fixes any issues. http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download To tell the truth, I rarely use Gamestreaming(I don't think I have tried it since Update 77) but I will give it a shot tomorrow and see if I experience any latency issues.
The stuttering is most likely caused by GFE's new update, as that is the only aspect that has changed. I've checked the TegraZone apk file and both the one found in Update 72 and Update 77 seem to be identical. I have noticed a lot more complaints about streaming since Update 77 and I really have no clue what might have happened. nVidia is pretty good about having detailed changelogs and Update 77's was pretty short

http://shield.nvidia.com/release-notes/

I was looking for the changelog for GFE and couldn't find it, I can only find what was added in the most current version, and it happens to be 2.1. If you don't have this already, I would suggest updating and see if that works. If that doesn't work, or you are already running 2.1, drop back to 2.0.1 and see if that fixes any issues.

http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download

To tell the truth, I rarely use Gamestreaming(I don't think I have tried it since Update 77) but I will give it a shot tomorrow and see if I experience any latency issues.

Posted 06/11/2014 04:38 AM   
Scroll To Top