Rooting Your Shield: Awesome Things You Can Do
  1 / 3    
I noticed that there was a topic for the how and why to root your Shield, but not much really in depth as to what you can really do with getting root access. As somewhat of an Android buff, I am deep into customization with different hacks and tweaks, and thought I'd share a little bit of my knowledge to make your Shield experience a little more awesome. [b][u]First Things First:[/u][/b] You need to root your Shield. Please visit the thread at https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/732693/general-discussion/rooting-your-shield-the-why-and-how/ for a step-by-step how to on unlocking your Shield to its full potential. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then don't do it, as rooting can potentially render your device unusable if you do not know what you are doing. Now that you've rooted your Shield, we're ready to move on to some of the awesome things you can do with your Shield! [b][u]Before We Begin[/b][/u] Throughout this tutorial, there will be a number of times where you will be granted for Super User access. This tutorial uses SuperSU as the Superuser program of choice, and is generally recommended by other users as well. When you see the Super User Access Request dialog come up, you need to grant the application Super User access in order for the tweaks and mods to work. [img]http://www.hankchill.com/ImageUploads/Shield02.png[/img] [u][b]1) Xposed Framework[/u][/b] Most of the neat tweaks that you can do involved the use of an add-on called Xposed Framework. On your Shield, go to the website http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.robv.android.xposed.installer and download the framework installer apk, and install it. If you cannot install it due to it being from an unknown source, you need to go into Settings, Security, and under the Device Administration section check off Unknown Sources. This will let you install Xposed as well as the modules it supports. Once you've installed Xposed Framework, launch it and go into the "Framework" section. From here, you need to install the framework to get it ready for use. Click on the "Install/Update" button, which will prompt you for Super User access. Grant it, and the framework will install, and ask to reboot. Go ahead and reboot. [img]http://www.hankchill.com/ImageUploads/Shield01.png[/img] This will now set the foundation for many tweaks you can accomplish. [i]Important: Xposed Framework is *NOT* compatible with the ART Runtime. If you are a power user and have changed your Runtime to ART in the Developer Options, you need to change it back to Dalvik in order for Xposed to work. If you don't know what this means, then you do not need to worry![/i] [b][u]2) Xposed Modules[/b][/u] Here's the Meat 'n Gravy of the modifications you can do to make your Shield experience more awesome. Below are a few of the different Xposed Modules you can use to make your device your own. To access the modules, open up the Xposed Installer and select "Download". Once the module is downloaded and installed, you need to enable it in the "Modules" section of Xposed, and then restart the device. [b]- GravityBox [KK] ********************[/b] GravityBox is a mod that allows you to do on-the-fly enhancements to your Android interface, providing you with customized status bar elements, custom quick-panel buttons, custom lockscreen tweaks, display tweaks, etc. Some of my favourite settings in GravityBox are as follows: [list] [.]Lockscreen Tweaks - Quick Unlock: If you have a PIN on your Shield, have Quick Unlock active allows it to unlock immediately when the PIN is entered, instead of pressing OK. A minor convenience, but a convenience nonetheless.[/.] [.]Statusbar Tweaks - Battery Settings: You can change the battery indicator to either the stock battery indicator, or circle battery indicator on the fly, as well as enable the battery percent text if you prefer having the stock indicator (like myself).[/.] [.]Statusbar Tweaks - Clock Settings: Instead of just showing the time of day, I like to see the day of the week too, and customize the way it looks and feels.[/.] [.]Statusbar Tweaks - Data Traffic Monitor: Lets you see the current upload/download rate.[/.] [.]Statusbar Tweaks - Enable Brightness Control: A personal favourite of mine, this tweak lets you slide your finger left and right across the status bar to adjust brightness. This is especially handy since the Shield does not have an ambient light sensor, therefore automatic brightness is not an option.[/.] [.]Miscellaneous Tweaks - Clear All Recent Tasks: Adds a kill-all button to your application switcher, to quickly close all of your open applications. Works well with the Recent Tasks RAM bar in the same location.[/.] [/list] What I have here is just scratching the surface of what GravityBox can do, the best way to learn it is play around and modify the settings to your heart's content until you are satisfied with your configuration. [img]http://www.hankchill.com/ImageUploads/Shield03.png[/img] See how awesome my status bar is now :) [b]- HandleExternalStorage ********************[/b] This module will no doubt be popular with a lot of you. As you know, the KitKat update cripples external SD card access so file managers, emulators, and the like can no longer write to the SD card (Boo, Google!). Installing this module re-enables external SD card read/write access for all applications. There is also an app on the Play Store call 'SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD' which accomplishes the same thing, however the Xposed module is much safer as it can be enabled and disabled at will. Simply install the module, enable it, and that's it. [b]- YouTube AdAway ********************[/b] [i]"I love the video ads on YouTube!"[/i] -- Said nobody, ever. This module disables the YouTube video advertisements that you see most of the time before watching a video. Simply install the module, enable it, reboot, and it's active. No configuration needed. [b]- MinMinGuard ********************[/b] Another ad blocker, however this one blocks ads from within applications. There is a little bit of a moral dilemma on the developer's end for this tool, as advertisements is a source of revenue for developers who release their apps for free, so it's up to you if you want to use MinMinGuard and block the ads of an app. I don't block ads for the little indie developers, but for the big guys who don't need my money, I don't need their ads. After downloading and enabling MinMinGuard, you can configure the applications in the program that you want to block ads for. When enabling the ad blocker for an application, it takes effect instantaneously. An application, for example, TuneIn Radio, without MinMinGuard: [img]http://www.hankchill.com/ImageUploads/Shield04.png[/img] And the same application, with MinMinGuard active: [img]http://www.hankchill.com/ImageUploads/Shield05.png[/img] Look ma, no ads! [b]- Per App Hacking ********************[/b] This module has a couple of useful functions; one is to set an application to use a specific proxy server, and the other is to prevent an app from acquiring 'WakeLock', which prevents the device from going to sleep. There are a few applications or games that may keep your Shield awake, such as Iron Man 3, that if the Shield ever wakes up for whatever reason, it will not go back to sleep - even if the lid is closed. Using Per App Hacking, you can prevent the applications that keep your device awake from making use of this permission. [b]- Burnt Toast ********************[/b] Nothing too extreme here, just a little bit of an aesthetic change to the 'Toast' messages that pop up. Toast messages are the little notifications that show up in the bottom-center of the screen. Burnt Toast adds in the application icon to the notification, so you know which app is prompting the toast message. [img]http://www.hankchill.com/ImageUploads/Shield06.png[/img] See how my toast message looks freakin' sweet now! :D There are a lot more Xposed Modules available for download, if you are going to experiment, make sure you pick ones that are compatible with KitKat (Android OS 4.4.x) and designed for AOSP type systems, and not dedicated manufacturer-tweaked OS's; for example, don't download something dedicated to Samsung's Touchwiz such as Wanam Xposed; you may end up causing your Shield to go into reboot-loops. [b][u]3 - Wicked Apps to augment your Shield Experience[/u][/b] Since you have rooted your device, there are now some apps you can use on the Play Store that you couldn't use previously due to not having root access. Below are some very useful applications for your Shield and other Android devices. All of the following apps can be downloaded on the Play Store. [b]- FolderMount ********************[/b] Download Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devasque.fmount This feature is like NVidia's 'Move to SD' feature but on steroids. FolderMount will allow you to make "Symbolic Links" on your internal storage and copy the data to the external SD card. The "link" will make the Shield pretend that the data is on the internal storage, when in fact it is on the external SD card. Doing this will allow you to greatly increase the number of large applications (especially games) on your device. No more having to worry about having only 4 Gameloft games on your Shield and it being full; toss in a 64GB MicroSD card, set up FolderMount, and make use of a butt-tonne of extra storage. [img]http://www.hankchill.com/ImageUploads/Shield07.png[/img] I have me a bunch of games on my device, and all the data is pointed to the external SD card. Frees up that internal storage! If you root, I highly recommend this application instead of using the Move to SD feature. FolderMount lets you mount 2 application folders for free, however to have unlimited pairs you need to do an in-app purchase to unlock the full application (I don't remember if it's $1.99 or $2.99, but it's well worth it!) [b]- Sixaxis Controller ********************[/b] Download Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dancingpixelstudios.sixaxiscontroller With the freedom of root, comes the freedom to use a different wireless controller other than the ones recommended by NVidia. In this case, I recommend the Dualshock 3 PS3 Wireless Controller. In my opinion, it's the most comfortable controller to use. Sixaxis Controller allows you to wirelessly use your PS3 controller with your Shield. This makes the perfect companion for when you are playing in Console Mode, as with Sixaxis you can feel like you're playing on a true console. [img]http://www.hankchill.com/ImageUploads/Shield08.png[/img] Additionally, if you have a USB-OTG (On The Go) cable, you can plug your PS3 controller directly to the Shield and pair it with the Shield without the need for the computer, otherwise the developer has a utility that lets you manually pair the PS3 controller with your Shield using the Bluetooth Address shown in the bottom-left (I blanked mine out). Another thing worth mentioning is that Sixaxis Controller prevents your Shield from going to sleep. Using the 'Per App Hacking' Xposed Module, you can prevent Sixaxis Controller from getting Wakelock permissions, allowing the device to sleep. If you're really savvy, you can even use a task managing program such as 'Tasker' to close the Sixaxis service after the screen has been off for a couple minutes -- That'll be for another tutorial ;) [b]- Titanium Backup ********************[/b] Download Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup Titanium Backup is an all-in-one backup solution for your apps and data. It allows you to backup everything you currently have installed, as well as the data for those apps, and restore the data at any time. Especially handy if you need to format your device for whatever reason. You can also configure schedules so that your data can get backed up every week, this way you don't lose anything. Another excellent feature of Titanium Backup is the ability to freeze or remove system applications. You know all those Google apps that you never use on the Shield, such as Hangouts, Gmail, Books - or for us Canadians, the Hulu application. They can all be removed or frozen, preventing them from activating, or even showing up in your app drawer. [img]http://www.hankchill.com/ImageUploads/Shield09.png[/img] I strongly recommend freezing system applications instead of removing them though, because if they are frozen and it negatively affects the Shield, you can "defrost" the app and return its function to normal. If you remove the system application, it will be uninstalled completely from the device and can only be recovered by doing an image restore or restoring from a backup of the system app. [b]- SetCPU for Root Users ********************[/b] Download Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mhuang.overclocking SetCPU is an excellent tool for users who want to fine-tune their control of the Shield's CPU. With SetCPU you can create different scenarios for controlling the CPU speed. For example, if you are playing a game such as Asphalt 8, you would notice some random stuttering and frameskips, because the CPU clocks down way too fast and has to clock back up again, making it stutter. With SetCPU you can set a condition that if Asphalt 8 is running and is in the foreground, to turn up the minimum CPU clock speed to 1915MHz, the highest clock speed for the default kernel. This will prevent the CPU from scaling back in speed while running the game, making for a smooth experience. Some users like to use SetCPU to lower the clock speed to a minimum while the screen is off; I do not recommend doing this, as it will either cause the Shield to lock up while it is asleep, or take around 1 to 2 minutes just to wake up the device. For the more advanced users, there is complete governer control for adjusting the Shield performance to meet your needs. I don't recommend tweaking the kernel or changing governers for beginners. [b][u]Closing[/u][/b] What I have provided and suggested is only the tip of the iceberg for what you can do now that you have root access, however please keep in mind: With great power, comes great responsibility. You can render your device completely inoperable if you mess with something you shouldn't have, or use an incompatible tweak. Remember to always read the documentation before using a new tool or modification that requires root access, to ensure it will be compatible for the Shield! Also be sure to read the documentation and usage guides for the applications above. While I show you what kind of mods and tweaks you can do, I don't necessarily show you how to use them. It is your responsibility to educate yourself on how to use the above applications, and if you require support, to contact the developers of the respective applications.
I noticed that there was a topic for the how and why to root your Shield, but not much really in depth as to what you can really do with getting root access. As somewhat of an Android buff, I am deep into customization with different hacks and tweaks, and thought I'd share a little bit of my knowledge to make your Shield experience a little more awesome.

First Things First:
You need to root your Shield. Please visit the thread at https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/732693/general-discussion/rooting-your-shield-the-why-and-how/ for a step-by-step how to on unlocking your Shield to its full potential. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then don't do it, as rooting can potentially render your device unusable if you do not know what you are doing.

Now that you've rooted your Shield, we're ready to move on to some of the awesome things you can do with your Shield!

Before We Begin

Throughout this tutorial, there will be a number of times where you will be granted for Super User access. This tutorial uses SuperSU as the Superuser program of choice, and is generally recommended by other users as well. When you see the Super User Access Request dialog come up, you need to grant the application Super User access in order for the tweaks and mods to work.

1) Xposed Framework

Most of the neat tweaks that you can do involved the use of an add-on called Xposed Framework. On your Shield, go to the website http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.robv.android.xposed.installer and download the framework installer apk, and install it. If you cannot install it due to it being from an unknown source, you need to go into Settings, Security, and under the Device Administration section check off Unknown Sources. This will let you install Xposed as well as the modules it supports.

Once you've installed Xposed Framework, launch it and go into the "Framework" section. From here, you need to install the framework to get it ready for use. Click on the "Install/Update" button, which will prompt you for Super User access. Grant it, and the framework will install, and ask to reboot. Go ahead and reboot.

This will now set the foundation for many tweaks you can accomplish.

Important: Xposed Framework is *NOT* compatible with the ART Runtime. If you are a power user and have changed your Runtime to ART in the Developer Options, you need to change it back to Dalvik in order for Xposed to work. If you don't know what this means, then you do not need to worry!

2) Xposed Modules

Here's the Meat 'n Gravy of the modifications you can do to make your Shield experience more awesome. Below are a few of the different Xposed Modules you can use to make your device your own. To access the modules, open up the Xposed Installer and select "Download". Once the module is downloaded and installed, you need to enable it in the "Modules" section of Xposed, and then restart the device.

- GravityBox [KK] ********************

GravityBox is a mod that allows you to do on-the-fly enhancements to your Android interface, providing you with customized status bar elements, custom quick-panel buttons, custom lockscreen tweaks, display tweaks, etc. Some of my favourite settings in GravityBox are as follows:
  • Lockscreen Tweaks - Quick Unlock: If you have a PIN on your Shield, have Quick Unlock active allows it to unlock immediately when the PIN is entered, instead of pressing OK. A minor convenience, but a convenience nonetheless.
  • Statusbar Tweaks - Battery Settings: You can change the battery indicator to either the stock battery indicator, or circle battery indicator on the fly, as well as enable the battery percent text if you prefer having the stock indicator (like myself).
  • Statusbar Tweaks - Clock Settings: Instead of just showing the time of day, I like to see the day of the week too, and customize the way it looks and feels.
  • Statusbar Tweaks - Data Traffic Monitor: Lets you see the current upload/download rate.
  • Statusbar Tweaks - Enable Brightness Control: A personal favourite of mine, this tweak lets you slide your finger left and right across the status bar to adjust brightness. This is especially handy since the Shield does not have an ambient light sensor, therefore automatic brightness is not an option.
  • Miscellaneous Tweaks - Clear All Recent Tasks: Adds a kill-all button to your application switcher, to quickly close all of your open applications. Works well with the Recent Tasks RAM bar in the same location.

What I have here is just scratching the surface of what GravityBox can do, the best way to learn it is play around and modify the settings to your heart's content until you are satisfied with your configuration.

See how awesome my status bar is now :)

- HandleExternalStorage ********************

This module will no doubt be popular with a lot of you. As you know, the KitKat update cripples external SD card access so file managers, emulators, and the like can no longer write to the SD card (Boo, Google!). Installing this module re-enables external SD card read/write access for all applications. There is also an app on the Play Store call 'SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD' which accomplishes the same thing, however the Xposed module is much safer as it can be enabled and disabled at will. Simply install the module, enable it, and that's it.

- YouTube AdAway ********************

"I love the video ads on YouTube!" -- Said nobody, ever. This module disables the YouTube video advertisements that you see most of the time before watching a video. Simply install the module, enable it, reboot, and it's active. No configuration needed.

- MinMinGuard ********************

Another ad blocker, however this one blocks ads from within applications. There is a little bit of a moral dilemma on the developer's end for this tool, as advertisements is a source of revenue for developers who release their apps for free, so it's up to you if you want to use MinMinGuard and block the ads of an app. I don't block ads for the little indie developers, but for the big guys who don't need my money, I don't need their ads.

After downloading and enabling MinMinGuard, you can configure the applications in the program that you want to block ads for. When enabling the ad blocker for an application, it takes effect instantaneously.

An application, for example, TuneIn Radio, without MinMinGuard:

And the same application, with MinMinGuard active:
Look ma, no ads!

- Per App Hacking ********************

This module has a couple of useful functions; one is to set an application to use a specific proxy server, and the other is to prevent an app from acquiring 'WakeLock', which prevents the device from going to sleep.

There are a few applications or games that may keep your Shield awake, such as Iron Man 3, that if the Shield ever wakes up for whatever reason, it will not go back to sleep - even if the lid is closed. Using Per App Hacking, you can prevent the applications that keep your device awake from making use of this permission.

- Burnt Toast ********************

Nothing too extreme here, just a little bit of an aesthetic change to the 'Toast' messages that pop up. Toast messages are the little notifications that show up in the bottom-center of the screen. Burnt Toast adds in the application icon to the notification, so you know which app is prompting the toast message.

See how my toast message looks freakin' sweet now! :D

There are a lot more Xposed Modules available for download, if you are going to experiment, make sure you pick ones that are compatible with KitKat (Android OS 4.4.x) and designed for AOSP type systems, and not dedicated manufacturer-tweaked OS's; for example, don't download something dedicated to Samsung's Touchwiz such as Wanam Xposed; you may end up causing your Shield to go into reboot-loops.

3 - Wicked Apps to augment your Shield Experience

Since you have rooted your device, there are now some apps you can use on the Play Store that you couldn't use previously due to not having root access. Below are some very useful applications for your Shield and other Android devices. All of the following apps can be downloaded on the Play Store.

- FolderMount ********************

Download Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devasque.fmount

This feature is like NVidia's 'Move to SD' feature but on steroids. FolderMount will allow you to make "Symbolic Links" on your internal storage and copy the data to the external SD card. The "link" will make the Shield pretend that the data is on the internal storage, when in fact it is on the external SD card. Doing this will allow you to greatly increase the number of large applications (especially games) on your device. No more having to worry about having only 4 Gameloft games on your Shield and it being full; toss in a 64GB MicroSD card, set up FolderMount, and make use of a butt-tonne of extra storage.

I have me a bunch of games on my device, and all the data is pointed to the external SD card. Frees up that internal storage! If you root, I highly recommend this application instead of using the Move to SD feature.

FolderMount lets you mount 2 application folders for free, however to have unlimited pairs you need to do an in-app purchase to unlock the full application (I don't remember if it's $1.99 or $2.99, but it's well worth it!)

- Sixaxis Controller ********************

Download Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dancingpixelstudios.sixaxiscontroller

With the freedom of root, comes the freedom to use a different wireless controller other than the ones recommended by NVidia. In this case, I recommend the Dualshock 3 PS3 Wireless Controller. In my opinion, it's the most comfortable controller to use. Sixaxis Controller allows you to wirelessly use your PS3 controller with your Shield. This makes the perfect companion for when you are playing in Console Mode, as with Sixaxis you can feel like you're playing on a true console.

Additionally, if you have a USB-OTG (On The Go) cable, you can plug your PS3 controller directly to the Shield and pair it with the Shield without the need for the computer, otherwise the developer has a utility that lets you manually pair the PS3 controller with your Shield using the Bluetooth Address shown in the bottom-left (I blanked mine out).

Another thing worth mentioning is that Sixaxis Controller prevents your Shield from going to sleep. Using the 'Per App Hacking' Xposed Module, you can prevent Sixaxis Controller from getting Wakelock permissions, allowing the device to sleep. If you're really savvy, you can even use a task managing program such as 'Tasker' to close the Sixaxis service after the screen has been off for a couple minutes -- That'll be for another tutorial ;)

- Titanium Backup ********************

Download Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup

Titanium Backup is an all-in-one backup solution for your apps and data. It allows you to backup everything you currently have installed, as well as the data for those apps, and restore the data at any time. Especially handy if you need to format your device for whatever reason. You can also configure schedules so that your data can get backed up every week, this way you don't lose anything.

Another excellent feature of Titanium Backup is the ability to freeze or remove system applications. You know all those Google apps that you never use on the Shield, such as Hangouts, Gmail, Books - or for us Canadians, the Hulu application. They can all be removed or frozen, preventing them from activating, or even showing up in your app drawer.

I strongly recommend freezing system applications instead of removing them though, because if they are frozen and it negatively affects the Shield, you can "defrost" the app and return its function to normal. If you remove the system application, it will be uninstalled completely from the device and can only be recovered by doing an image restore or restoring from a backup of the system app.

- SetCPU for Root Users ********************

Download Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mhuang.overclocking

SetCPU is an excellent tool for users who want to fine-tune their control of the Shield's CPU. With SetCPU you can create different scenarios for controlling the CPU speed.

For example, if you are playing a game such as Asphalt 8, you would notice some random stuttering and frameskips, because the CPU clocks down way too fast and has to clock back up again, making it stutter. With SetCPU you can set a condition that if Asphalt 8 is running and is in the foreground, to turn up the minimum CPU clock speed to 1915MHz, the highest clock speed for the default kernel. This will prevent the CPU from scaling back in speed while running the game, making for a smooth experience.

Some users like to use SetCPU to lower the clock speed to a minimum while the screen is off; I do not recommend doing this, as it will either cause the Shield to lock up while it is asleep, or take around 1 to 2 minutes just to wake up the device.

For the more advanced users, there is complete governer control for adjusting the Shield performance to meet your needs. I don't recommend tweaking the kernel or changing governers for beginners.

Closing

What I have provided and suggested is only the tip of the iceberg for what you can do now that you have root access, however please keep in mind: With great power, comes great responsibility. You can render your device completely inoperable if you mess with something you shouldn't have, or use an incompatible tweak. Remember to always read the documentation before using a new tool or modification that requires root access, to ensure it will be compatible for the Shield!

Also be sure to read the documentation and usage guides for the applications above. While I show you what kind of mods and tweaks you can do, I don't necessarily show you how to use them. It is your responsibility to educate yourself on how to use the above applications, and if you require support, to contact the developers of the respective applications.

Posted 04/23/2014 01:12 AM   
Excellent post. A lot of users know that root makes emulators function like they did in 4.3 but most don't know about the power user stuff we can do with root. I would suggest you look into AppSettings module for Xposed. It allows you to change the DPI and resolution settings per app so you can get Tablet UIs for Youtube or Email instead of the phablet UI. I highly recommend everything else on the list though. Your root apps are pretty much identical to the ones I use. :) I use Tasker extensively on my phone but have found little use on my Shield. What profiles do you have set up on your Shield?
Excellent post. A lot of users know that root makes emulators function like they did in 4.3 but most don't know about the power user stuff we can do with root. I would suggest you look into AppSettings module for Xposed. It allows you to change the DPI and resolution settings per app so you can get Tablet UIs for Youtube or Email instead of the phablet UI. I highly recommend everything else on the list though. Your root apps are pretty much identical to the ones I use. :)

I use Tasker extensively on my phone but have found little use on my Shield. What profiles do you have set up on your Shield?

Posted 04/23/2014 02:19 AM   
Sticky this. Goes good along with the rooting guide. For many of us this will be the first time rooting and any tips on what we can do and what apps are recommended is much appreciated. To be honest I wasn't happy at first that I was forced to root because of storage but the fact that Nvidia said they will still honor the warranty is a HUGE peace of mind and now I'm excited to learn something I've always wanted to do but too scared to do because of voiding the warranty. As long as we aren't doing anything too stupid though. I've always been a loyal Nvidia Video Card customer and upgrading my cards to the latest and greatest and will do the same with every Shield because it's that good of a device and anyone that would say different isn't using it to its full potential. I've only had mine for 4 months and can't wait for the next one to release. Thanks Nvidia for a good product and customer service!!!
Sticky this. Goes good along with the rooting guide. For many of us this will be the first time rooting and any tips on what we can do and what apps are recommended is much appreciated. To be honest I wasn't happy at first that I was forced to root because of storage but the fact that Nvidia said they will still honor the warranty is a HUGE peace of mind and now I'm excited to learn something I've always wanted to do but too scared to do because of voiding the warranty. As long as we aren't doing anything too stupid though. I've always been a loyal Nvidia Video Card customer and upgrading my cards to the latest and greatest and will do the same with every Shield because it's that good of a device and anyone that would say different isn't using it to its full potential. I've only had mine for 4 months and can't wait for the next one to release. Thanks Nvidia for a good product and customer service!!!

Posted 04/23/2014 05:31 AM   
I used to be all into jail breaking and rooting and customizing as far as I could... then I just didn't have time for it. But it looks like I will make time for this. So many cool things you can do once you have full control of the device. It really opens up a new realm of customization, possibilities, and fun. It's nice that we have a good community of people that know what they are doing with this device also for us noobs. ;)
I used to be all into jail breaking and rooting and customizing as far as I could... then I just didn't have time for it. But it looks like I will make time for this. So many cool things you can do once you have full control of the device. It really opens up a new realm of customization, possibilities, and fun. It's nice that we have a good community of people that know what they are doing with this device also for us noobs. ;)

streamer: Z68 with i5 2400 @ 3.4ghz | x-fi titanium | gtx750ti @ 1920x1200
surround: X79 with 3820 @ 4.625ghz | x-fi | 2x asus strix gtx970 sli @ 5760x1080
retro: nforce2 with xp2600 @ 2.1ghz | audigy | geforce3 agp | voodoo2 sli @ 1024x768
mobile: nvidia shield v4.4.2 | netgear wndr4500v2 router

Posted 04/23/2014 03:14 PM   
Great job, looking forward to using some of the tricks.
Great job, looking forward to using some of the tricks.

Posted 04/23/2014 06:41 PM   
I added the download links for the apps in the Play Store, make it a little easier to find the apps I am referring to :) Also added SetCPU for fine-tuning CPU control, to give the extra juice to games that need it.
I added the download links for the apps in the Play Store, make it a little easier to find the apps I am referring to :) Also added SetCPU for fine-tuning CPU control, to give the extra juice to games that need it.

Posted 04/23/2014 06:48 PM   
[quote="BondoBox"]Sticky this. Goes good along with the rooting guide.[/quote] Ditto this!
BondoBox said:Sticky this. Goes good along with the rooting guide.

Ditto this!

"Dog is man's best friend, Cat is man's adorable little serial killer"

Posted 04/23/2014 09:24 PM   
Thank you very much for this guide. I used most of your tips after I rooted my shield last night with the help of CriticalComposer's guide. It was very helpful to me. I hadn't originally planned to root my shield but inevitably decided I had to and this was a great place for me to start from once rooted.
Thank you very much for this guide. I used most of your tips after I rooted my shield last night with the help of CriticalComposer's guide. It was very helpful to me. I hadn't originally planned to root my shield but inevitably decided I had to and this was a great place for me to start from once rooted.

Posted 04/25/2014 12:16 AM   
To add on to this you can also capture your screen as a video, mirror it to pc as well as stream online gameplay or whatever you want with shou [url]https://plus.google.com/+ShouBe/posts[/url]. Another thing you can do is emulate a moga, ds3, or Xbox 360 controller, and even change the shields screen resolution to 1080p with tincore keymapper [url]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tincore.and.keymapper[/url] You can measure the framerate of a game with this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aatt.fpsm You can mimic other device for play store compatibility using device spoofer(Be careful. Could cause harm.) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scheffsblend.devicespoof
To add on to this you can also capture your screen as a video, mirror it to pc as well as stream online gameplay or whatever you want with shou
https://plus.google.com/+ShouBe/posts.

Another thing you can do is emulate a moga, ds3, or Xbox 360 controller, and even change the shields screen resolution to 1080p with tincore keymapper
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tincore.and.keymapper

You can measure the framerate of a game with this app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aatt.fpsm

You can mimic other device for play store compatibility using device spoofer(Be careful. Could cause harm.)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scheffsblend.devicespoof
A quick question about sixaxis app. how can i emulate the Nvidia shiels exact key mappings? i was able to map all the buttons correctly but i dont know how to emulate the Right analog stick. for example while palying 1st person shooters or Walking dead that lets you use the right analog stick edit* Never mind it automatically recognizes it
A quick question about sixaxis app. how can i emulate the Nvidia shiels exact key mappings? i was able to map all the buttons correctly but i dont know how to emulate the Right analog stick. for example while palying 1st person shooters or Walking dead that lets you use the right analog stick

edit*

Never mind it automatically recognizes it

Posted 04/25/2014 10:02 AM   
My only problem now is how to emulate the Right Analog Stick as a mouse courser just like on the shield? is there a way? using the mouse option is not good option when playing games
My only problem now is how to emulate the Right Analog Stick as a mouse courser just like on the shield? is there a way? using the mouse option is not good option when playing games

Posted 04/25/2014 02:02 PM   
You should remove the Device Spoofer from the list, It's too dangerous for new root user to play with it and honestly rarely works as intended. I was able to get a refund on it due to quick timing but after spoofing the device several times with different profiles I could find the apps I wanted in the play store as promised however they all failed to install. After restoring my backup to revert the changes it made I rebooted only to find I had lost wifi control and couldn't then get online. After an hour or so of painstaking trial and error got the problem corrected and uninstalled the app. Any root user who wants an app from the store that "isnt compatible with your device" or doesn't show up just google the app name followed by "apk" and you can usually find a direct download to the app for install from the dev, bypassing the play store entirely. Just be sure to have "unknown sources" checked in your settings so you can install it Prime example is the game Let's Golf 3, it wont let you install from play store but you can get the apk free gameloft which installs and downloads the game data fine from your web browser
You should remove the Device Spoofer from the list, It's too dangerous for new root user to play with it and honestly rarely works as intended. I was able to get a refund on it due to quick timing but after spoofing the device several times with different profiles I could find the apps I wanted in the play store as promised however they all failed to install. After restoring my backup to revert the changes it made I rebooted only to find I had lost wifi control and couldn't then get online. After an hour or so of painstaking trial and error got the problem corrected and uninstalled the app.

Any root user who wants an app from the store that "isnt compatible with your device" or doesn't show up just google the app name followed by "apk" and you can usually find a direct download to the app for install from the dev, bypassing the play store entirely. Just be sure to have "unknown sources" checked in your settings so you can install it

Prime example is the game Let's Golf 3, it wont let you install from play store but you can get the apk free gameloft which installs and downloads the game data fine from your web browser

Posted 04/28/2014 05:27 PM   
[quote="deathwhitch"]You should remove the Device Spoofer from the list, It's too dangerous for new root user to play with it and honestly rarely works as intended. I was able to get a refund on it due to quick timing but after spoofing the device several times with different profiles I could find the apps I wanted in the play store as promised however they all failed to install. After restoring my backup to revert the changes it made I rebooted only to find I had lost wifi control and couldn't then get online. After an hour or so of painstaking trial and error got the problem corrected and uninstalled the app. Any root user who wants an app from the store that "isnt compatible with your device" or doesn't show up just google the app name followed by "apk" and you can usually find a direct download to the app for install from the dev, bypassing the play store entirely. Just be sure to have "unknown sources" checked in your settings so you can install it Prime example is the game Let's Golf 3, it wont let you install from play store but you can get the apk free gameloft which installs and downloads the game data fine from your web browser[/quote] I've never had an issue with it but i did add a warning when i put it in the list that it could cause problems.
deathwhitch said:You should remove the Device Spoofer from the list, It's too dangerous for new root user to play with it and honestly rarely works as intended. I was able to get a refund on it due to quick timing but after spoofing the device several times with different profiles I could find the apps I wanted in the play store as promised however they all failed to install. After restoring my backup to revert the changes it made I rebooted only to find I had lost wifi control and couldn't then get online. After an hour or so of painstaking trial and error got the problem corrected and uninstalled the app.

Any root user who wants an app from the store that "isnt compatible with your device" or doesn't show up just google the app name followed by "apk" and you can usually find a direct download to the app for install from the dev, bypassing the play store entirely. Just be sure to have "unknown sources" checked in your settings so you can install it

Prime example is the game Let's Golf 3, it wont let you install from play store but you can get the apk free gameloft which installs and downloads the game data fine from your web browser

I've never had an issue with it but i did add a warning when i put it in the list that it could cause problems.
I was able to install Xposed framework as well as the HandleExternalStorage but I am still finding that my apps are not allowed to write to my sd card. I have installed the module and enabled it in Xposed. Is there anything else that I need to do to get it to work?
I was able to install Xposed framework as well as the HandleExternalStorage but I am still finding that my apps are not allowed to write to my sd card. I have installed the module and enabled it in Xposed. Is there anything else that I need to do to get it to work?

Posted 05/16/2014 10:16 PM   
It should simply work after that. Here is a quick installation instruction that has helped a few other members get the HandleExternalStorage module working [list] [.]Install the app from the .apk[/.] [.]Install the framework[/.] [.]Reboot[/.] [.]Update the framework(if the apk is older it will have the older framework packaged in it)[/.] [.]Reboot[/.] [.]Download and install the HandleExternalStorage module[/.] [.]Activate the HandleExternalStorage module[/.] [.]Reboot[/.] [/list]
It should simply work after that. Here is a quick installation instruction that has helped a few other members get the HandleExternalStorage module working

• Install the app from the .apk
  • Install the framework
  • Reboot
  • Update the framework(if the apk is older it will have the older framework packaged in it)
  • Reboot
  • Download and install the HandleExternalStorage module
  • Activate the HandleExternalStorage module
  • Reboot

Posted 05/17/2014 05:56 PM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top