Tdr Manipulator V1.1 (02-23-2014)
  1 / 8    
Tdr Manipulator is a tool to enable / disable and control the Windows TDR behavior. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b][i]Warning! Please READ.[/i][/b] [b]Use only if you know what you are doing and are a PowerUsers. Standard users with not a lot of computer skills should stay away.[/b] After Testing, I recommend to set back to Default. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- For those having TDR ( display driver stopped responding and has recovered ) and those with BSODs with VideoTDR timeout (0x116 , 0x117), this tool may help you workaround around your issue and is usually used for debugging. [b]I recommend trying this when you tried all others solutions. (checking heat, down-clocking, etc...)[/b] Please note that changing the TDR value of windows is only a *[u]workaround[/u]* and should not be changed on a healthy system with healthy driver. In fact, by disabling the TDR and if it appear to fix your issues, keep in mind that it is mostly masking it. [u]Recommended usage:[/u] For the most common users, simply [b]Disable[/b] the first option. This will have either 2 effects : 1- You will be happy and no more TDR. 2- System Freeze / hang. Why Freeze or hang? because the TDR feature of Windows job is to reset the videocard driver if the Windows TDR process detect that something jammed on the GPU for too long. (this is a noob friendly explanation) For more details, refer to : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff570088(v=vs.85).aspx I provide this application for 2 reasons. #1 For some users, it is easier/safer/feel safer to do it that way than to go into regedit and doing http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff569918(v=vs.85).aspx manually. #2 Playing around with the values could help Nvidia find the problem. If a higher delay is needed to avoid a bsod 0x117 than letting nvidia know about this and what setting were changed could help them fix thi faster. TDR is a "watchdog" (Timeout Detection and Recovery of GPUs ) present since Windows Vista. If it detect that the card is taking too much time to execute something of that it feel that the GPU is in a frozen state (This is a noob friendly explanation) that the TDR will reset the GPU or some part of it (since windows 8) in an attempt to not leave the computer in a frozen state. In other words, TDR usually enhance stability. But in some case where a problem in the videodriver is making some thread to be stuck a bit too long on the GPU, that you can have some TDR (GPU reset) happening and making games crash as resetting the GPU while playing is not a good idea. by disabling TDR or play a bit with the value, it can help workaround your issues or help identifying problems. This are my personal thoughts. [img]http://imageshack.com/a/img28/7786/e6vy.jpg[/img] Minimum Requirement : -Microsoft.Net 2.0 or Higher -Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 or Higher Download Version 1.1 Changelog: Fixed a possible crash on start for some users. [URL="http://www.wagnardmobile.com/Tdr%20Manipulator/Tdr%20Manipulator%20v1.1.zip"]DOWNLOAD Latest version HERE[/URL] Please Share your results.
Tdr Manipulator is a tool to enable / disable and control the Windows TDR behavior.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning! Please READ.
Use only if you know what you are doing and are a PowerUsers. Standard users with not a lot of computer skills should stay away.
After Testing, I recommend to set back to Default.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those having TDR ( display driver stopped responding and has recovered ) and those with BSODs with VideoTDR timeout (0x116 , 0x117), this tool may help you workaround around your issue and is usually used for debugging.

I recommend trying this when you tried all others solutions. (checking heat, down-clocking, etc...)

Please note that changing the TDR value of windows is only a *workaround* and should not be changed on a healthy system with healthy driver.
In fact, by disabling the TDR and if it appear to fix your issues, keep in mind that it is mostly masking it.

Recommended usage:

For the most common users, simply Disable the first option.

This will have either 2 effects :
1- You will be happy and no more TDR.
2- System Freeze / hang.

Why Freeze or hang? because the TDR feature of Windows job is to reset the videocard driver if the Windows TDR process detect that something jammed on the GPU for too long. (this is a noob friendly explanation)
For more details, refer to : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff570088(v=vs.85).aspx

I provide this application for 2 reasons.

#1 For some users, it is easier/safer/feel safer to do it that way than to go into regedit and doing http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff569918(v=vs.85).aspx manually.

#2 Playing around with the values could help Nvidia find the problem. If a higher delay is needed to avoid a bsod 0x117 than letting nvidia know about this and what setting were changed could help them fix thi faster.

TDR is a "watchdog" (Timeout Detection and Recovery of GPUs ) present since Windows Vista. If it detect that the card is taking too much time to execute something of that it feel that the GPU is in a frozen state (This is a noob friendly explanation) that the TDR will reset the GPU or some part of it (since windows 8) in an attempt to not leave the computer in a frozen state.

In other words, TDR usually enhance stability. But in some case where a problem in the videodriver is making some thread to be stuck a bit too long on the GPU, that you can have some TDR (GPU reset) happening and making games crash as resetting the GPU while playing is not a good idea.

by disabling TDR or play a bit with the value, it can help workaround your issues or help identifying problems.

This are my personal thoughts.

Minimum Requirement :

-Microsoft.Net 2.0 or Higher
-Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 or Higher

Download Version 1.1

Changelog:
Fixed a possible crash on start for some users.

DOWNLOAD Latest version HERE

Please Share your results.

My Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) : Here

Proud member of Nvidia Beta Program.

-Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M5
-CPU: I7-6700K (All stock clock)
-PSU: Corsair 1000watt
-RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Memory Kit Model F4-2133C15D-16GRR
-GPU : 1x MSI nVidia GTX 1080 Gaming 8G (bios : 86.04.17.00.8B)
-Monitor : Asus VH242H (a 60Hz Monitor)
-HDD: Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB + 2TB HDD Western Digital
-NVCP: All default.
-I have the Oculus Rift !

Posted 02/23/2014 06:25 PM   
From what I see, the tool is simply updating registry setting. Can I update the following registry directly instead? [i]KeyPath : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers KeyValue : TdrLevel ValueType : REG_DWORD ValueData : TdrLevelOff (0) - Detection disabled TdrLevelBugcheck (1) - Bug check on detected timeout, for example, no recovery. TdrLevelRecoverVGA (2) - Recover to VGA (not implemented). TdrLevelRecover (3) - Recover on timeout. This is the default value.[/i] Quite strange as I don't see any KeyValue at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers on my machine. Only value is DxgKrnlVersion
From what I see, the tool is simply updating registry setting.

Can I update the following registry directly instead?

KeyPath : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
KeyValue : TdrLevel
ValueType : REG_DWORD
ValueData :
TdrLevelOff (0) - Detection disabled
TdrLevelBugcheck (1) - Bug check on detected timeout, for example, no recovery.
TdrLevelRecoverVGA (2) - Recover to VGA (not implemented).
TdrLevelRecover (3) - Recover on timeout. This is the default value.

Quite strange as I don't see any KeyValue at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers on my machine. Only value is DxgKrnlVersion

ASUS GeForce GTX 780-Ti DirectCU II
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

Posted 02/23/2014 07:26 PM   
you can add it if you know what you are doing. is the error on application start? The value must be created I'll update the application later when I'm home to see why it crashed on you as it shouldn't have
you can add it if you know what you are doing.
is the error on application start?

The value must be created

I'll update the application later when I'm home to see why it crashed on you as it shouldn't have

-RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Memory Kit Model F4-2133C15D-16GRR

Posted 02/23/2014 09:41 PM   
Since I turned off TdrLevel, the system has been very stable. I was able to play full hour straight of CoD and stream videos without any monitor loose signal and crash. I am on 332.21 (have not updated to the latest 334.89 seeing so many people reported issues with it)
Since I turned off TdrLevel, the system has been very stable. I was able to play full hour straight of CoD and stream videos without any monitor loose signal and crash.

I am on 332.21 (have not updated to the latest 334.89 seeing so many people reported issues with it)

ASUS GeForce GTX 780-Ti DirectCU II
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

Posted 02/24/2014 03:10 PM   
Thanks for confirming, We can spread the word for people to test this. I also. recommend to not always be on tdrlevel disabled but to play a bit with the other settings. as if you really have something stuck on the gpu for real the system will hardfreeze like in the old winxp days. we must also. keep in mind that this is a workaround and a real fix is needed either on driver side or user side depending of what is the cause.
Thanks for confirming,
We can spread the word for people to test this.

I also. recommend to not always be on tdrlevel disabled but to play a bit with the other settings. as if you really have something stuck on the gpu for real the system will hardfreeze like in the old winxp days.

we must also. keep in mind that this is a workaround and a real fix is needed either on driver side or user side depending of what is the cause.

Posted 02/24/2014 03:27 PM   
[quote="Wagnard"] [...] that the operating system allows threads to leave the driver. [/quote] Sorry for the question, but what does "a thread leaves the driver" mean? Edit: I mean, I think I know what this setting is doing (GPU Reset/Recovery timeout after a TDRDelay was detected), but the explanation sentence is somewhat strange to me.
Wagnard said:
[...] that the operating system allows threads to leave the driver.

Sorry for the question, but what does "a thread leaves the driver" mean?

Edit:
I mean, I think I know what this setting is doing (GPU Reset/Recovery timeout after a TDRDelay was detected), but the explanation sentence is somewhat strange to me.

Posted 02/24/2014 08:47 PM   
Well this is the explanation from Microsoft but I'll try to explain it later when I'm not on my smartphone.
Well this is the explanation from Microsoft but I'll try to explain it later when I'm not on my smartphone.

Posted 02/24/2014 09:32 PM   
Hi, just to let you know: I tested your tool on my laptop because I have constant BSOD with errors related to VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116), and I can't run software like Maya or the Cryengine anymore(used to). When I disable TdR level, Maya does not BSOD but stay for ever on the loading screen. I guess it was expected, but I just give you my feedback. If you want more infos about my issues (which are big) in order to test your tool (and fix my laptop in the way), I am available :) Thanks Thomas
Hi,
just to let you know: I tested your tool on my laptop because I have constant BSOD with errors related to VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116), and I can't run software like Maya or the Cryengine anymore(used to).
When I disable TdR level, Maya does not BSOD but stay for ever on the loading screen. I guess it was expected, but I just give you my feedback. If you want more infos about my issues (which are big) in order to test your tool (and fix my laptop in the way), I am available :)
Thanks
Thomas

Posted 02/25/2014 10:22 AM   
when Maya stay for ever on the loading screen, is the system hard frozen or it is still responsive? did you try other applications or games?
when Maya stay for ever on the loading screen, is the system hard frozen or it is still responsive?
did you try other applications or games?

Posted 02/25/2014 11:09 AM   
Hi, I can still do a CTRL+ALT+DEL to exit. I tried UDK too, it loads but the viewport is black and when I try to do anything, it exit by itself. The weird thing is (I don't know if it is related to your tool) that when I exit the program and back to the desktop, when I check the Process in Task Manager, it's still there.Even when I click on it and "end process", it remain. Now I have Maya and UDK listed, using a lot of memory.
Hi,
I can still do a CTRL+ALT+DEL to exit.
I tried UDK too, it loads but the viewport is black and when I try to do anything, it exit by itself.
The weird thing is (I don't know if it is related to your tool) that when I exit the program and back to the desktop, when I check the Process in Task Manager, it's still there.Even when I click on it and "end process", it remain. Now I have Maya and UDK listed, using a lot of memory.

Posted 02/25/2014 12:43 PM   
the tool only prevent the video card to be reset by the windows TDR. it's like if you are back at the old winxp days. by the sound of. it, it seems you computer can't do 3d at all... you have a laptop with Optimus technology?
the tool only prevent the video card to be reset by the windows TDR.
it's like if you are back at the old winxp days.
by the sound of. it, it seems you computer can't do 3d at all...

you have a laptop with Optimus technology?

Posted 02/25/2014 02:09 PM   
For nearly 3 months, I have sat back and read the forums every single day and I have had this TDR issue, along with all the other issues that have been causing the black screen and BSOD while attempting to game. Wangard, thank you for this work around. However, just as Tharmine stated: whenever i run WoW, it will freeze/crash (not often) but when it does, I can close the window, however, not the application from task manager; and it sucks a lot of memory out as it continues to run in the background. This only has started to happen with the use of your program. For me, it's simple give and take, at least i am able to game for a while- the only way for me to resolve the issue of the game not fully closing, is to restart the pc.
For nearly 3 months, I have sat back and read the forums every single day and I have had this TDR issue, along with all the other issues that have been causing the black screen and BSOD while attempting to game. Wangard, thank you for this work around. However, just as Tharmine stated: whenever i run WoW, it will freeze/crash (not often) but when it does, I can close the window, however, not the application from task manager; and it sucks a lot of memory out as it continues to run in the background. This only has started to happen with the use of your program. For me, it's simple give and take, at least i am able to game for a while- the only way for me to resolve the issue of the game not fully closing, is to restart the pc.

Posted 02/25/2014 05:17 PM   
a logoff could be enough too instead of a full system reset.
a logoff could be enough too instead of a full system reset.

Posted 02/25/2014 05:56 PM   
The v 1.0 didn't work for me but the 1.1 seems to work for now. I was stable on 332.21 until the new update. but it seemed to give me the errors about a day later after cleaned the install and put 332.21 back on. ill put an update if it fails again. *edit Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 AMD FX-8320 stock 16GB corsair DDR 3 memory GA-78LMT-USB3 (Socket M2) L226WTQ on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti GeForce GTX 650 Ti Toshiba 2TB HDD HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 ATA Device NVIDIA High Definition Audio VIA High Definition Audio High Definition Audio Device
The v 1.0 didn't work for me but the 1.1 seems to work for now. I was stable on 332.21 until the new update. but it seemed to give me the errors about a day later after cleaned the install and put 332.21 back on. ill put an update if it fails again.

*edit
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
AMD FX-8320 stock
16GB corsair DDR 3 memory
GA-78LMT-USB3 (Socket M2)
L226WTQ on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
GeForce GTX 650 Ti
Toshiba 2TB HDD
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 ATA Device
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
VIA High Definition Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Posted 02/25/2014 06:37 PM   
I will try that right now, it just happened again.
I will try that right now, it just happened again.

Posted 02/25/2014 07:48 PM   
  1 / 8    
Scroll To Top