GeForce Experience 1.8.1 problems, disk usage at 100%
Hello, whenever I open the GeForce Experience, I cannot use the program because of a box which says there is an update and I should install it. Doing so starts a program but nothing is shown, except in Task Manager where the GeForce program is running at 100% on the Disk. The same thing happens to the disk when I attempt to uninstall the GeForce Experience. When I redownloaded the Experience and tried to install it again (without an uninstall as it had no progress), the disk reached 100% again. Closing any GeForce process will bring the disk back down to say 4%. [b][u]#Short#[/u][i][/b][/i] [b]I cannot update,uninstall or use the GeForce Experience without the disk reaching full 100% usage.[/b] Any help would be immensely appreciated as I would like to maintain my drivers and make use of the Experience features. [u]Specs:[/u] Windows 8.1 64bit cpu: Intel i5-4570 gpu: GTX 650 Ti Boost @ Driver Version: 331.82 mobo: MSI Z87-G41 (I have not tried a Driver update yet, the newest version for me is "332.21". I fear installing this would also install the 1.8.1 Experience and again cause Disk Usage errors but possibly more permanent if it were to replace the old driver which is working perfectly).
Hello, whenever I open the GeForce Experience, I cannot use the program because of a box which says there is an update and I should install it. Doing so starts a program but nothing is shown, except in Task Manager where the GeForce program is running at 100% on the Disk.

The same thing happens to the disk when I attempt to uninstall the GeForce Experience. When I redownloaded the Experience and tried to install it again (without an uninstall as it had no progress), the disk reached 100% again. Closing any GeForce process will bring the disk back down to say 4%.

#Short# I cannot update,uninstall or use the GeForce Experience without the disk reaching full 100% usage.

Any help would be immensely appreciated as I would like to maintain my drivers and make use of the Experience features.

Specs:
Windows 8.1 64bit
cpu: Intel i5-4570
gpu: GTX 650 Ti Boost @ Driver Version: 331.82
mobo: MSI Z87-G41

(I have not tried a Driver update yet, the newest version for me is "332.21". I fear installing this would also install the 1.8.1 Experience and again cause Disk Usage errors but possibly more permanent if it were to replace the old driver which is working perfectly).

Posted 02/01/2014 03:45 AM   
solution: don't install GFE.
solution: don't install GFE.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

CPU:Intel Xeon x5670 @ 3.8Gz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:24GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB
Monitor:55" Thorn TV, Sound:Sony Muteki 7.1
SDD:Crucial MX200 250, HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Case:NZXT Phantom 410, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 10
Cooler: ThermalRight TRUE Spirit 120M BW Rev.A

Posted 02/01/2014 09:29 AM   
Sorry this does not give me a solution I'm happy with. I would like to use the GeForce Experience.
Sorry this does not give me a solution I'm happy with. I would like to use the GeForce Experience.

Posted 02/01/2014 06:13 PM   
yes, most do.
yes, most do.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

CPU:Intel Xeon x5670 @ 3.8Gz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:24GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB
Monitor:55" Thorn TV, Sound:Sony Muteki 7.1
SDD:Crucial MX200 250, HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Case:NZXT Phantom 410, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 10
Cooler: ThermalRight TRUE Spirit 120M BW Rev.A

Posted 02/02/2014 04:52 AM   
I'm sorry but you're not providing a solution. I have a PC with the specs above which was built in September 2013, I want to use GFE to record game footage and use the other features to fine tune.
I'm sorry but you're not providing a solution. I have a PC with the specs above which was built in September 2013, I want to use GFE to record game footage and use the other features to fine tune.

Posted 02/02/2014 05:07 PM   
[quote="liamebm"][quote="Sora"]yes, most consoletards do.[/quote]I'm sorry but you're not providing a solution. I want to use GFE to record game footage and use the other features to fine tune. [/quote] I'm afraid I had a similar experience as you. Opening GeForce Experience wont let you do anything other than click the green install button, nor will it let you exit from the program via the 'X' and task manager is the only way. Because of the black screen issue with the latest drivers I'd had to roll back to a previous version, but once you do roll back, then GeForce Experience automatically detects that you dont have the latest drivers and wont let you get any further or use any of its facilities or functions until your drivers are up to date again. This puts you in a loop and the nvidia services start eating all the PC resources. The only way out for me was to uninstall GeForce Experience and all the other nvidia bulk. I can however understand your frustration in that if you want to use some of the GeForce feature such as shadowplay then this is not the solution you are looking for. If you can somehow get into the GeForce Experience Preferences panel to turn off the update option then there would perhaps be a way forward. But you are stuck in the same loop I was in that you cant configure anything until your drivers are up to date. You mention you have problems uninstalling the GFE, I did too, until I found this recommended on another forum where someone else was having problems with removing geforce experience. It did the trick for me so perhaps its worth a shot. It may also be worth checking no nvidia processes are running first. http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/NVIDIA-GeForce-Experience-99039-program.aspx There's some more information about problems updating GFE [url=https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/525191/geforce-experience/nvidia-installer-failed/post/3806931/#3806931]here[/url]. There may be one of the tips in there you could try, which may help. Im sorry I cant help any further, I came here looking for a solution to my own problem, to be told by Sora that I "[i]was too stupid to use a computer[/i]". So all I can do is pass on what little info I do know. I also hope that someone less arrogant than Sora, whom is actually capable of giving an informative reply without insults will be able to contribute. Good luck.
liamebm said:
Sora said:yes, most consoletards do.
I'm sorry but you're not providing a solution. I want to use GFE to record game footage and use the other features to fine tune.

I'm afraid I had a similar experience as you.
Opening GeForce Experience wont let you do anything other than click the green install button, nor will it let you exit from the program via the 'X' and task manager is the only way.

Because of the black screen issue with the latest drivers I'd had to roll back to a previous version, but once you do roll back, then GeForce Experience automatically detects that you dont have the latest drivers and wont let you get any further or use any of its facilities or functions until your drivers are up to date again.

This puts you in a loop and the nvidia services start eating all the PC resources. The only way out for me was to uninstall GeForce Experience and all the other nvidia bulk.

I can however understand your frustration in that if you want to use some of the GeForce feature such as shadowplay then this is not the solution you are looking for.

If you can somehow get into the GeForce Experience Preferences panel to turn off the update option then there would perhaps be a way forward. But you are stuck in the same loop I was in that you cant configure anything until your drivers are up to date.

You mention you have problems uninstalling the GFE, I did too, until I found this recommended on another forum where someone else was having problems with removing geforce experience. It did the trick for me so perhaps its worth a shot. It may also be worth checking no nvidia processes are running first.
http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/NVIDIA-GeForce-Experience-99039-program.aspx

There's some more information about problems updating GFE here. There may be one of the tips in there you could try, which may help.

Im sorry I cant help any further, I came here looking for a solution to my own problem, to be told by Sora that I "was too stupid to use a computer".

So all I can do is pass on what little info I do know.
I also hope that someone less arrogant than Sora, whom is actually capable of giving an informative reply without insults will be able to contribute. Good luck.

Posted 02/02/2014 07:06 PM   
Thanks for getting back, messaged an Nvidia tech support guy and after a few quick questions this was my findings and responce to him, if this helps you too in fixing my problem (if it to ever occur again). "Yes I was previously able to update. I think I did an express install but selected everything. Cannot remember, it was likely my first time using the GFE as the PC is new. There is no new hardware and shouldn't be any conflicting software. I have now installed GFE 1.8.2. Any time it was installing updates it reached 100% again. After a clean custom install, it stayed at 100% even after the install. The install was successful but GFE crashed within a minute of completing, in which time, after closing, my disk usage reached it's normal 1%-10% usage as opposed to the full 100%. I have now just reopened GFE and I am checking task manager for about 1 minute: Usage seems normal with the GFE now after the crash. However it did reach 57% which is unsual since I only have Google Chrome open. My memory however is at 34% and has been for a while now, I will assume this is normal. Closing GFE still remains normal, I will open the Nvidia Control Panel and check: maxed 60% within a few seconds but returned to normal. Using the Nvidia Control Panel however reached 80% usage until I closed it. Normal again. it is in my system tray and active however the visual dialogue box and interface is not open. Only when these are open does the disk usage seem to ramp up. I will now open a game from Steam and test if anything seems out of the ordinary while running: Steam reached 100% usage just for a few seconds while opening, and similarly again when attempting to update an game on log in. Returned to normal usage after cancelling said update. Disk usage 'seems' normal when opening a game. I will open a more visually demanding game: "Hitman Absolution" on Medium quality settings, and run a benchmark through that engine: Within the last 60 seconds, disk usage was normal during benchmarking. Min FPS 46, Max FPS 100, Average FPS 57 (if this helps at all). Average usage from Task manager: CPU 1%, Memory 35%, Disk usage 4%, Network 0% Thank you for taking the time to read through my problem and troubleshooting endevours."
Thanks for getting back, messaged an Nvidia tech support guy and after a few quick questions this was my findings and responce to him, if this helps you too in fixing my problem (if it to ever occur again).

"Yes I was previously able to update. I think I did an express install but selected everything. Cannot remember, it was likely my first time using the GFE as the PC is new. There is no new hardware and shouldn't be any conflicting software.

I have now installed GFE 1.8.2. Any time it was installing updates it reached 100% again. After a clean custom install, it stayed at 100% even after the install. The install was successful but GFE crashed within a minute of completing, in which time, after closing, my disk usage reached it's normal 1%-10% usage as opposed to the full 100%.

I have now just reopened GFE and I am checking task manager for about 1 minute: Usage seems normal with the GFE now after the crash. However it did reach 57% which is unsual since I only have Google Chrome open. My memory however is at 34% and has been for a while now, I will assume this is normal. Closing GFE still remains normal, I will open the Nvidia Control Panel and check: maxed 60% within a few seconds but returned to normal. Using the Nvidia Control Panel however reached 80% usage until I closed it. Normal again. it is in my system tray and active however the visual dialogue box and interface is not open. Only when these are open does the disk usage seem to ramp up.

I will now open a game from Steam and test if anything seems out of the ordinary while running: Steam reached 100% usage just for a few seconds while opening, and similarly again when attempting to update an game on log in. Returned to normal usage after cancelling said update. Disk usage 'seems' normal when opening a game. I will open a more visually demanding game: "Hitman Absolution" on Medium quality settings, and run a benchmark through that engine: Within the last 60 seconds, disk usage was normal during benchmarking. Min FPS 46, Max FPS 100, Average FPS 57 (if this helps at all).

Average usage from Task manager: CPU 1%, Memory 35%, Disk usage 4%, Network 0%

Thank you for taking the time to read through my problem and troubleshooting endevours."

Posted 02/03/2014 06:16 PM   
Scroll To Top