Is it honestly worth rooting a Nvidia Shield?
  1 / 2    
Would I likely miss out on some very important updates by rooting? Is it really worth rooting, in your view?
Would I likely miss out on some very important updates by rooting? Is it really worth rooting, in your view?

Posted 01/03/2014 02:54 PM   
To be sincerely, I have rooted mine since release, and I am on ota 67 now, you don't lose the updates by rooting, you only need to realize some aditional work with every update, and personally, I can't fully enjoy mine without rooting, only for performance reasons and backup reasons too.
To be sincerely, I have rooted mine since release, and I am on ota 67 now, you don't lose the updates by rooting, you only need to realize some aditional work with every update, and personally, I can't fully enjoy mine without rooting, only for performance reasons and backup reasons too.

Posted 01/03/2014 03:07 PM   
[quote="antara33"]To be sincerely, I have rooted mine since release, and I am on ota 67 now, you don't lose the updates by rooting, you only need to realize some aditional work with every update, and personally, I can't fully enjoy mine without rooting, only for performance reasons and backup reasons too.[/quote] What do you gain performance wise? I'm trying to figure out how to make it look better since Update 67 ruined streaming.
antara33 said:To be sincerely, I have rooted mine since release, and I am on ota 67 now, you don't lose the updates by rooting, you only need to realize some aditional work with every update, and personally, I can't fully enjoy mine without rooting, only for performance reasons and backup reasons too.

What do you gain performance wise? I'm trying to figure out how to make it look better since Update 67 ruined streaming.

Posted 01/03/2014 03:42 PM   
On the streaming side, I don't use it, since my main pc is a linux based notebook. The performance gain is more a stability gain, since, most graphic demanding games (android native games) have random performance dips, and them are caused by the cpu ramping up and down the frequency, the time before the ramp up cause this "random" fps drop on some games. The performance governor simply disable the frequency scaling, and with this, increase the stability in framerate on some games like asphalt 8, or zombie driver thd.
On the streaming side, I don't use it, since my main pc is a linux based notebook. The performance gain is more a stability gain, since, most graphic demanding games (android native games) have random performance dips, and them are caused by the cpu ramping up and down the frequency, the time before the ramp up cause this "random" fps drop on some games. The performance governor simply disable the frequency scaling, and with this, increase the stability in framerate on some games like asphalt 8, or zombie driver thd.

Posted 01/03/2014 04:39 PM   
Oh, for the streaming problem, I see a fix on xda, try to obtain the dashboard.apk from previous firmware versions, and uninstall the actual one, and reinstall the older one, this maybe can fix the problem.
Oh, for the streaming problem, I see a fix on xda, try to obtain the dashboard.apk from previous firmware versions, and uninstall the actual one, and reinstall the older one, this maybe can fix the problem.

Posted 01/03/2014 04:41 PM   
This is interesting. antara33, I have reason to believe I get audio popping/underrun based on CPU throttle/dethrottle for most of my emulators. Would you know if some of these audio issues could stem from CPU resource fluctuation?
This is interesting.

antara33,

I have reason to believe I get audio popping/underrun based on CPU throttle/dethrottle for most of my emulators. Would you know if some of these audio issues could stem from CPU resource fluctuation?

Posted 01/03/2014 09:03 PM   
Yes, for sure, on emulation, the CPU do all the audio decoding workload, normally, on emulation, the CPU do almost ALL the work, because of this the emulators requiere you a great CPU, and a mainstream GPU. I have never faced an audio problem on emulators, EXCEPT for the PPSSPP and Dungeon Siege, and I play it on 1x1 resolution with the display, full effect, post processing shaders, 16x anisotropic and streched to display, so, a lot of work on the CPU side :P
Yes, for sure, on emulation, the CPU do all the audio decoding workload, normally, on emulation, the CPU do almost ALL the work, because of this the emulators requiere you a great CPU, and a mainstream GPU. I have never faced an audio problem on emulators, EXCEPT for the PPSSPP and Dungeon Siege, and I play it on 1x1 resolution with the display, full effect, post processing shaders, 16x anisotropic and streched to display, so, a lot of work on the CPU side :P

Posted 01/03/2014 10:16 PM   
I think its worth it to root, just for screen recording so I don't have to pay for another device that may or may not work with recording :D
I think its worth it to root, just for screen recording so I don't have to pay for another device that may or may not work with recording :D

You should check out my YouTube channel.
Www.YouTube.com/seaking177

Posted 01/03/2014 10:32 PM   
[quote="seaking177"]I think its worth it to root, just for screen recording so I don't have to pay for another device that may or may not work with recording :D[/quote] Which app do you use to record the screen? Is the quality good enough for reviews/Lets Play videos or would I be better off with an HDMI capture device? *On Topic I use Root to connect my PS3 controllers via Sixaxis Controller app. I also cannot live without Titanium Backup. It is simply too powerful not to having installed.
seaking177 said:I think its worth it to root, just for screen recording so I don't have to pay for another device that may or may not work with recording :D

Which app do you use to record the screen? Is the quality good enough for reviews/Lets Play videos or would I be better off with an HDMI capture device?

*On Topic
I use Root to connect my PS3 controllers via Sixaxis Controller app. I also cannot live without Titanium Backup. It is simply too powerful not to having installed.

Posted 01/03/2014 10:41 PM   
[quote="CriticalComposer"][quote="seaking177"]I think its worth it to root, just for screen recording so I don't have to pay for another device that may or may not work with recording :D[/quote] Which app do you use to record the screen? Is the quality good enough for reviews/Lets Play videos or would I be better off with an HDMI capture device? [/quote] Www.YouTube.com/seaking177 look good enough :p? And Shou is what I have been using, www.shou.be
CriticalComposer said:
seaking177 said:I think its worth it to root, just for screen recording so I don't have to pay for another device that may or may not work with recording :D

Which app do you use to record the screen? Is the quality good enough for reviews/Lets Play videos or would I be better off with an HDMI capture device?

Www.YouTube.com/seaking177 look good enough :p?

And Shou is what I have been using, www.shou.be

Posted 01/04/2014 01:55 AM   
[quote="seaking177"][quote="CriticalComposer"][quote="seaking177"]I think its worth it to root, just for screen recording so I don't have to pay for another device that may or may not work with recording :D[/quote] Which app do you use to record the screen? Is the quality good enough for reviews/Lets Play videos or would I be better off with an HDMI capture device? [/quote] Www.YouTube.com/seaking177 look good enough :p? And Shou is what I have been using, www.shou.be[/quote] You got shou working right? How. I always get odd glitches on the screen when I use it. I normally use scr pro but it doesn't support direct audio though. Although shou said the shield wasn't supported for direct audio anyways and the airplay mirroring doesn't work either.
seaking177 said:
CriticalComposer said:

You got shou working right? How. I always get odd glitches on the screen when I use it. I normally use scr pro but it doesn't support direct audio though. Although shou said the shield wasn't supported for direct audio anyways and the airplay mirroring doesn't work either.
[quote="Failrunner"][quote="seaking177"][quote="CriticalComposer"][quote="seaking177"]I think its worth it to root, just for screen recording so I don't have to pay for another device that may or may not work with recording :D[/quote] Which app do you use to record the screen? Is the quality good enough for reviews/Lets Play videos or would I be better off with an HDMI capture device? [/quote] Www.YouTube.com/seaking177 look good enough :p? And Shou is what I have been using, www.shou.be[/quote] You got shou working right? How. I always get odd glitches on the screen when I use it. I normally use scr pro but it doesn't support direct audio though. Although shou said the shield wasn't supported for direct audio anyways and the airplay mirroring doesn't work either.[/quote] from the first time I used shou I never had any screen bugs. Might wanna send a logcat to him in the Google+ group
Failrunner said:
seaking177 said:
CriticalComposer said:

You got shou working right? How. I always get odd glitches on the screen when I use it. I normally use scr pro but it doesn't support direct audio though. Although shou said the shield wasn't supported for direct audio anyways and the airplay mirroring doesn't work either.
from the first time I used shou I never had any screen bugs. Might wanna send a logcat to him in the Google+ group

Posted 01/04/2014 07:10 AM   
IS there an app that can record internal audio? So shou for screen recording, and an app for internal audio recording as well? I know that with my laptop and el gato game capture, it only records video strictly from my Laptop, so in that case I have to use audacity to record the audio in the computer, and then sync them up in Sony Vegas. Can I do a similar thing with the Nvidia shield? Any good internal audio apps?
IS there an app that can record internal audio? So shou for screen recording, and an app for internal audio recording as well?

I know that with my laptop and el gato game capture, it only records video strictly from my Laptop, so in that case I have to use audacity to record the audio in the computer, and then sync them up in Sony Vegas.

Can I do a similar thing with the Nvidia shield? Any good internal audio apps?

Posted 01/04/2014 11:25 AM   
None yet, but the guys behind shou and scr are working on internal audio recording for tegra 4 chips.
None yet, but the guys behind shou and scr are working on internal audio recording for tegra 4 chips.

Posted 01/04/2014 12:05 PM   
It seems that Shou has been removed from Google Play. I tried the link on their website and I did a manual search for it, neither with any results. I might look into SCR Screen Recorder but I had poor framerate results on my Google Nexus. I'm hoping I see better results on the Shield. *edit* Never mind, I figured everything out. Didn't realize it was a testing app.
It seems that Shou has been removed from Google Play. I tried the link on their website and I did a manual search for it, neither with any results. I might look into SCR Screen Recorder but I had poor framerate results on my Google Nexus. I'm hoping I see better results on the Shield.

*edit*

Never mind, I figured everything out. Didn't realize it was a testing app.

Posted 01/04/2014 08:47 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top