GTX 770: PC restarts (no BSOD) after sometime in IDLE with low voltage and clock
I got a EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB (Part number: 02G-P4-2773-KR) to replace a GTX 570, and i'm facing what I call a weird issue after having installed it: The computer restarts with no BSOD if the GPU remains idle for some time. In that condition, the GPU clock is 135 MHZ, and voltage is 861 V. After some testing, the workaround I found to be working is to change "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" (instead "Adaptive") in NVidia Control Panel. The second step is letting some application that uses the GPU (Blender, im my case) running in background. That way, GPU clock gets stuck at 1045 MHZ, and voltage remains 1100 V, and PC works "normally" without restarting. Under high load, I have no problems whatsoever. Here's my setup: Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (x64) Mainboard: GA-B75M-D3H (Gigabyte) CPU: Intel Core I7-2600 (@3.40 GHZ, no overclock) RAM: G.SKill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1333MHz (Part number: F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL) PSU: C3 Tech PSH-750V (Brazilian company, specs below) http://translate.google.com.br/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=pt-BR&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kabum.com.br%2Fproduto%2F5552%2Ffonte-atx-c3-tech-750w-real-204p-sata-psh-750v I'm using the 331.93 driver (Beta). The current non-beta driver gives me the same issue. Best Regards
I got a EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB (Part number: 02G-P4-2773-KR) to replace a GTX 570, and i'm facing what I call a weird issue after having installed it:

The computer restarts with no BSOD if the GPU remains idle for some time.

In that condition, the GPU clock is 135 MHZ, and voltage is 861 V.

After some testing, the workaround I found to be working is to change "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" (instead "Adaptive") in NVidia Control Panel.
The second step is letting some application that uses the GPU (Blender, im my case) running in background.

That way, GPU clock gets stuck at 1045 MHZ, and voltage remains 1100 V, and PC works "normally" without restarting.

Under high load, I have no problems whatsoever.

Here's my setup:

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (x64)
Mainboard: GA-B75M-D3H (Gigabyte)
CPU: Intel Core I7-2600 (@3.40 GHZ, no overclock)
RAM: G.SKill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1333MHz (Part number: F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL)
PSU: C3 Tech PSH-750V (Brazilian company, specs below)

http://translate.google.com.br/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=pt-BR&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kabum.com.br%2Fproduto%2F5552%2Ffonte-atx-c3-tech-750w-real-204p-sata-psh-750v

I'm using the 331.93 driver (Beta).
The current non-beta driver gives me the same issue.

Best Regards

Posted 12/10/2013 02:06 AM   
i believe you have a defective card, i have Gigabyte 770 GTX OC and it idles at 135 Mhz and 837 mv which is lower than yours and never had any issues with it, return it and get a new one. anyway, you can try setting windows power management to full performance instead of balanced before you return it, and revert back to adaptive in NCP. if your PC restarted then it is definitely defective.
i believe you have a defective card, i have Gigabyte 770 GTX OC and it idles at 135 Mhz and 837 mv which is lower than yours and never had any issues with it, return it and get a new one.

anyway, you can try setting windows power management to full performance instead of balanced before you return it, and revert back to adaptive in NCP. if your PC restarted then it is definitely defective.

Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5 Ghz - Corsair H100i CPU Liquid Cooler - Asus P8Z77-V MB - 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer - Gigabyte GTX 970 3.5 GB + shitty 0.5 GB - Creative SoundBlaster Z - EVGA SuperNova 1000W G2 80 PLUS GOLD PSU - 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD - Crucial M500 240 GB SSD - 1 TB WD Caviar Black 7200 RPM SATA III - 500 GB WD Caviar Black 7200 RPM SATA II - Cooler Master HAF-X Case - Qnix 27" Monitor 2560 x 1440 OC @ 90 Hz - Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Posted 12/10/2013 01:56 PM   
Hi all, I'am alb3530's brother and I'am facing exactly same problem, but with different hardware and card, besides PSU (and system shutdown instead restart, but it can be bios/system setting, IDK)... Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (x64) Mainboard: GA-X58A-UD3R (Gigabyte) CPU: Intel Core I7-920 (@2.67 GHZ, no overclock) RAM: Markvision 2x4gb DDR3 1333MHz PSU: C3 Tech PSH-750V (same PSU as alb3530) My older card was ZOGIS GTX570, now, with my new card (EVGA GTX660), my system shutdown when card is idle and at lower voltage =[ It's really a annoying issue.... Too, GTX660 needs less power requeriments then GXT570... GTX660: Minimum 400W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A) GTX570 Minimum 550W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 38A) My brother brings your 770 here and we faced the same problem .... Itsn't hard to believe that two different cards from different brands, (evga and gigabyte) comes with same problem? Some possible imcompatibility between PSU and card (and maybe motherboard...)? Unfortunatelly we got only this PSU model to test both cards =P Sorry my bad english!
Hi all, I'am alb3530's brother and I'am facing exactly same problem, but with different hardware and card, besides PSU (and system shutdown instead restart, but it can be bios/system setting, IDK)...

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (x64)
Mainboard: GA-X58A-UD3R (Gigabyte)
CPU: Intel Core I7-920 (@2.67 GHZ, no overclock)
RAM: Markvision 2x4gb DDR3 1333MHz
PSU: C3 Tech PSH-750V (same PSU as alb3530)

My older card was ZOGIS GTX570, now, with my new card (EVGA GTX660), my system shutdown when card is idle and at lower voltage =[

It's really a annoying issue....

Too, GTX660 needs less power requeriments then GXT570...
GTX660:
Minimum 400W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A)
GTX570
Minimum 550W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 38A)

My brother brings your 770 here and we faced the same problem ....

Itsn't hard to believe that two different cards from different brands, (evga and gigabyte) comes with same problem?

Some possible imcompatibility between PSU and card (and maybe motherboard...)?
Unfortunatelly we got only this PSU model to test both cards =P

Sorry my bad english!

My english is not good, sorry!

Posted 12/15/2013 05:05 PM   
that PSU is a piece of crap, most of its distribution is towards the 3.3 and 5v lines.
that PSU is a piece of crap, most of its distribution is towards the 3.3 and 5v lines.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

CPU:Intel i7 920 @ 3.8(D0), Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Monitor:BenQ G2400WDHDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD BlackCase:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Posted 12/15/2013 07:14 PM   
I've setup a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installation in the same machine, and with all drivers installed (including NVidia driver), I COULDN'T make the machine to restart.Power Management was set to "adaptive", and Windows' power plan was set as "Balanced".With the "High performance" plan, it didn't restarted either. After more than 1 stable hour in Windows 7, I've changed back to Windows 8.1, and it restarted as soon as GPU became idle. I was believing it was some problem with the PSU (even though the GTX 570 is more power-hungry than my brother's GTX 660), but it seems it's not the case... Will test with Windows 8 today to see if problem also happens with it. Best regards
I've setup a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installation in the same machine, and with all drivers installed (including NVidia driver), I COULDN'T make the machine to restart.Power Management was set to "adaptive", and Windows' power plan was set as "Balanced".With the "High performance" plan, it didn't restarted either.

After more than 1 stable hour in Windows 7, I've changed back to Windows 8.1, and it restarted as soon as GPU became idle.

I was believing it was some problem with the PSU (even though the GTX 570 is more power-hungry than my brother's GTX 660), but it seems it's not the case...

Will test with Windows 8 today to see if problem also happens with it.

Best regards

Posted 12/16/2013 12:10 PM   
UPDATE: I've tested with Windows 8, and it presented the same problems found in 8.1: restarts when GPU was in IDLE. After having experienced hundreds of random restarts, bricked an OCZ Vector SSD, got bad clusters in a HDD, and spent days debugging that situation, I've finally found a legendary fix: UNINSTALL THE PROCESSORS IN "DEVICE MANAGER" It took me days testing different things.What I knew for sure was Windows 7 doesn't have this problem: it works flawlessly and simply doesn't restart. That made me believe it wasn't a PSU problem. Back in Windows 8.1, I then disabled everything I could in Device Manager, and realized it wasn't restarting anymore. After testing different combinations of devices, I've come to the conclusion my computer (with Windows 8.1 x64) only works normally with the GTX 770 when the processors are disabled in Device Manager. I'd like to know if there's anyone around here that uses either GTX 770 or GTX 660 with Windows 8/8.1 x64, without any restarts in IDLE. Also, is any driver update planned to fix that issue?I believe this issue is NVidia's and not Microsoft's (I'll post in Technet forums as well) Best regards
UPDATE: I've tested with Windows 8, and it presented the same problems found in 8.1: restarts when GPU was in IDLE.

After having experienced hundreds of random restarts, bricked an OCZ Vector SSD, got bad clusters in a HDD, and spent days debugging that situation, I've finally found a legendary fix:

UNINSTALL THE PROCESSORS IN "DEVICE MANAGER"

It took me days testing different things.What I knew for sure was Windows 7 doesn't have this problem: it works flawlessly and simply doesn't restart.

That made me believe it wasn't a PSU problem.

Back in Windows 8.1, I then disabled everything I could in Device Manager, and realized it wasn't restarting anymore.

After testing different combinations of devices, I've come to the conclusion my computer (with Windows 8.1 x64) only works normally with the GTX 770 when the processors are disabled in Device Manager.

I'd like to know if there's anyone around here that uses either GTX 770 or GTX 660 with Windows 8/8.1 x64, without any restarts in IDLE.

Also, is any driver update planned to fix that issue?I believe this issue is NVidia's and not Microsoft's (I'll post in Technet forums as well)

Best regards

Posted 12/25/2013 05:37 PM   
[quote]I'd like to know if there's anyone around here that uses either GTX 770 or GTX 660 with Windows 8/8.1 x64, without any restarts in IDLE.[/quote] Lots of people Computer shop i frequent and volunteer at frequently puts this sort of package together. By disabling the Processor devices, you are effectively turning power management off for the CPU. Disabling these turns of the Intelppm.sys driver, which turns off [olist] [.]speedstep[/.] [.]C1E[/.] [.]Enhanced C1E[/.] [/olist] This effectively points towards [olist] [.]a faulty cpu[/.] [.]faulty cpu phase on the motherboard[/.] [.]poor configuration of the cpu.[/.] [/olist] As you have not overclocked, it can only be the first 2 and since your mobo is a POS Gigabyte, its more then likely that.
I'd like to know if there's anyone around here that uses either GTX 770 or GTX 660 with Windows 8/8.1 x64, without any restarts in IDLE.

Lots of people
Computer shop i frequent and volunteer at frequently puts this sort of package together.

By disabling the Processor devices, you are effectively turning power management off for the CPU.

Disabling these turns of the Intelppm.sys driver, which turns off

1. speedstep
  2. C1E
  3. Enhanced C1E

This effectively points towards
  1. a faulty cpu
  2. faulty cpu phase on the motherboard
  3. poor configuration of the cpu.

As you have not overclocked, it can only be the first 2

and since your mobo is a POS Gigabyte, its more then likely that.

CPU:Intel i7 920 @ 3.8(D0), Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Monitor:BenQ G2400WDHDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD BlackCase:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Posted 12/25/2013 06:00 PM   
After some searching, i can say for certain that replacing the motherboard will resolve the issue.
After some searching, i can say for certain that replacing the motherboard will resolve the issue.

Posted 12/25/2013 06:16 PM   
Thank you for replying. Can you give me some links of your searching? What I think really weird is there's no problem at all with GTX 570 with both boards below: GA-B75M-D3H GA-X58A-UD3R Also, the two motherboards above present the same problem. GA-X58A-UD3R with GTX 660 (that requires LESS power than GTX 570) and GA-B75M-D3H with GTX 770 What does the motherboard need to have (that the ones mentioned here don't have) in order to work properly with the GPUs? Best regards
Thank you for replying.

Can you give me some links of your searching?

What I think really weird is there's no problem at all with GTX 570 with both boards below:

GA-B75M-D3H
GA-X58A-UD3R

Also, the two motherboards above present the same problem.

GA-X58A-UD3R with GTX 660 (that requires LESS power than GTX 570)

and

GA-B75M-D3H with GTX 770

What does the motherboard need to have (that the ones mentioned here don't have) in order to work properly with the GPUs?

Best regards

Posted 12/25/2013 09:43 PM   
Scroll To Top