Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll
  1 / 10    
Ever since I built this computer, I've tried to play FFXIV:ARR to only have one major problem. The game will randomly crash to desktop right after the windows message, [img]http://i.imgur.com/xQRaQRq.png[/img] [u]The error event looks like this:[/u] Faulting application name: ffxiv.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x529464f3 Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll, version: 9.18.13.3182, time stamp: 0x5280d618 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x00653eeb Faulting process id: 0x1670 Faulting application start time: 0x01cef41d5e19f4bc Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn\game\ffxiv.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dll Report Id: eb087815-6014-11e3-bca4-74d02b3237c7 My system: AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard, G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory, Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk, [b][u]Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card[/u][/b], and Windows 7 (64) Home Premium. I've researched all I can find to troubleshoot over the months. Here are some of the things I've tried: Updating driver version, updating driver versions using the clean install function, installing many driver versions after I run a display driver uninstaller program, reinstalled windows after a format, ran a memtest, tried playing the game with just a clean installed driver without any other geforce experience programs installed, played the game with new dx9/10/11, and much more.. I will be very thankful for any help a techie can share.
Ever since I built this computer, I've tried to play FFXIV:ARR to only have one major problem. The game will randomly crash to desktop right after the windows message,

The error event looks like this:
Faulting application name: ffxiv.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x529464f3
Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll, version: 9.18.13.3182, time stamp: 0x5280d618
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00653eeb
Faulting process id: 0x1670
Faulting application start time: 0x01cef41d5e19f4bc
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn\game\ffxiv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dll
Report Id: eb087815-6014-11e3-bca4-74d02b3237c7

My system: AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard, G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory, Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk, Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card, and Windows 7 (64) Home Premium.

I've researched all I can find to troubleshoot over the months. Here are some of the things I've tried:
Updating driver version, updating driver versions using the clean install function, installing many driver versions after I run a display driver uninstaller program, reinstalled windows after a format, ran a memtest, tried playing the game with just a clean installed driver without any other geforce experience programs installed, played the game with new dx9/10/11, and much more..

I will be very thankful for any help a techie can share.

Posted 12/08/2013 05:20 PM   
Looking up: FFXIV Stopped working Shows a bunch of threads even with ATI cards. Majority are NVIDIA but they also (IMO) hold the largest share of the market. The average fixes mentioned: Reinstall Driver Update Driver Reinstall Game <---this one was not mentioned by you. What I can speculate about, is although you gave more hardware information that 90% of the other users with issues. I would look at.... Other Hardware: Sound, Video, Mouse / Keyboard, Network I would look specifically at items like, Webcams and Soundcard with Creative Labs inside them. Even if not, they have drivers that could interfere. Try different PORTS for the USB input devices. Some banks respond differently. Network includes that driver, but also Firewall and Viruses....As well as the AntiVirus type...NORTONS being the most intrusive(IMO) and COMODOS being the hardest to track back to. What I am curious about is the MEMORY VOLTAGE your using on the GSKILL as far to often I notice people use PERFORMANCE RAM as if it is PLUG AND PLAY and leave the voltage at the default...These, including Patriot, generally need .05-.20 increase off the base 1.50 to stay stable. But if FFXIV is the only issue, I would be hard pressed to not feel it was an FFXIV issue. Creative LAbs issues are also hard to track down, easier to remove them from the computer to remove them as a culprit to test.
Looking up: FFXIV Stopped working

Shows a bunch of threads even with ATI cards. Majority are NVIDIA but they also (IMO) hold the largest share of the market.

The average fixes mentioned:
Reinstall Driver
Update Driver
Reinstall Game <---this one was not mentioned by you.

What I can speculate about, is although you gave more hardware information that 90% of the other users with issues. I would look at....

Other Hardware: Sound, Video, Mouse / Keyboard, Network

I would look specifically at items like, Webcams and Soundcard with Creative Labs inside them. Even if not, they have drivers that could interfere.

Try different PORTS for the USB input devices. Some banks respond differently.

Network includes that driver, but also Firewall and Viruses....As well as the AntiVirus type...NORTONS being the most intrusive(IMO) and COMODOS being the hardest to track back to.

What I am curious about is the MEMORY VOLTAGE your using on the GSKILL as far to often I notice people use PERFORMANCE RAM as if it is PLUG AND PLAY and leave the voltage at the default...These, including Patriot, generally need .05-.20 increase off the base 1.50 to stay stable.

But if FFXIV is the only issue, I would be hard pressed to not feel it was an FFXIV issue.

Creative LAbs issues are also hard to track down, easier to remove them from the computer to remove them as a culprit to test.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""
Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

If the driver has an issue, don't be a fool, remove it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Posted 12/08/2013 05:41 PM   
Reinstalled the game over the months 8 times. All motherboard drivers are up to date (this includes soundcard). I have a logitech driver program for my mouse called Setpoint Manager so I can macro the extra buttons, but the crashes don't happen any time near when I use them ingame. I use to not use any anti-virus just windows defender/firewall/malware-bites, and I still got game crashes. I did get mcafee. I've love to hear about memory voltage. I am doing a plug and play with probably default settings. Few months ago I did play TF2 with this rig and got random crashes.
Reinstalled the game over the months 8 times.

All motherboard drivers are up to date (this includes soundcard).
I have a logitech driver program for my mouse called Setpoint Manager so I can macro the extra buttons, but the crashes don't happen any time near when I use them ingame.

I use to not use any anti-virus just windows defender/firewall/malware-bites, and I still got game crashes. I did get mcafee.

I've love to hear about memory voltage. I am doing a plug and play with probably default settings.

Few months ago I did play TF2 with this rig and got random crashes.

Posted 12/08/2013 06:18 PM   
Reboot the system, tap the [DEL] or the [ESC] key during the POST, if the LOADING WINDOWS appears, you missed it. Enter the BIOS. Locate the Memory voltage. If set at Default, switch it to User Controlled and bump just the DRAM VOLTAGE .05...try the game again. Repeat as needed not to exceed the 1.70v - if problem is not corrected, reinstate the DEFAULT settings.
Reboot the system, tap the [DEL] or the [ESC] key during the POST, if the LOADING WINDOWS appears, you missed it.

Enter the BIOS.
Locate the Memory voltage.
If set at Default, switch it to User Controlled and bump just the DRAM VOLTAGE .05...try the game again.

Repeat as needed not to exceed the 1.70v - if problem is not corrected, reinstate the DEFAULT settings.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 12/08/2013 06:35 PM   
I manually upped the DRAM voltage from auto of 1.500V to 1.550V . Time to test the game for crashing. Crashed. 4 minutes of gameplay and a crash. That's a new personal record. Next crash took 20 minutes. I looked my sticks up, they are suppose to have 1.500V so I'll keep it there. For now I'm going to play the game on one stick at a time to see if I still crash on one or both.
I manually upped the DRAM voltage from auto of 1.500V to 1.550V . Time to test the game for crashing.

Crashed. 4 minutes of gameplay and a crash. That's a new personal record. Next crash took 20 minutes.
I looked my sticks up, they are suppose to have 1.500V so I'll keep it there. For now I'm going to play the game on one stick at a time to see if I still crash on one or both.

Posted 12/08/2013 06:56 PM   
A windows update for nvidia compatibility driver has been around for optional update, but it failed every try before. I looked into it, and it couldn't install because it was unable to replace the nvd3dum.dll. So I clean installed using display driver uninstaller and let windows install this nvidia driver through windows updates. It installed only nvidia 3d vision driver 331.65, nvidia graphics driver 331.65, and nvidia update 1.15.2. Without any farther updates, I tested the game. Sunday I played 2 hours with no crash. Monday I played 6 hours with no crash. But today I played 4 hours and crashed but played the game some more without any crashes. These drivers and others from windows update seem more stable. Is there any way for me to become completely stable with no crashes again? I'm scared if I update drivers, that it will crash several times a day again.
A windows update for nvidia compatibility driver has been around for optional update, but it failed every try before. I looked into it, and it couldn't install because it was unable to replace the nvd3dum.dll. So I clean installed using display driver uninstaller and let windows install this nvidia driver through windows updates. It installed only nvidia 3d vision driver 331.65, nvidia graphics driver 331.65, and nvidia update 1.15.2.

Without any farther updates, I tested the game. Sunday I played 2 hours with no crash. Monday I played 6 hours with no crash. But today I played 4 hours and crashed but played the game some more without any crashes.

These drivers and others from windows update seem more stable. Is there any way for me to become completely stable with no crashes again? I'm scared if I update drivers, that it will crash several times a day again.

Posted 12/11/2013 01:30 AM   
If you look at your Original post... [quote]Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll, version: 9.18.13.3182, time stamp: 0x5280d618[/quote] You already had the 331.82 driver installed...that was the latest. I would go BACKWARDS a few more sets and see if that changes the results.
If you look at your Original post...

Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll, version: 9.18.13.3182, time stamp: 0x5280d618

You already had the 331.82 driver installed...that was the latest.

I would go BACKWARDS a few more sets and see if that changes the results.

Posted 12/11/2013 02:09 AM   
Some time has passed since I last messed with this issue. At an average rate of 2 game crashes a day I'm fed up with this crashing ruining my fun and in-game reputation. I'm currently interested in either finding the solution to stop the crashing for good or find a more stable driver to have even less crashes. I prefer option A. This link [url]http://www.updatexp.com/0xC0000005.html[/url] seems to be on the right track of finding the problem to error 0xC0000005. [u]Suggestion one[/u] is the memory. I've ran a memtest on the ram and used the computer one 8g stick at a time to see if one was bad. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not the memory since the only other way to know is buying more memory sticks. [u]Suggestion two[/u] made my head hurt a bit. Not sure if I should turn off the DEP. I do use a 64-bit windows. [u]Suggestion three[/u] is why I'm here... Suggestion four doesn't seem to pertain to me since I don't use internet explorer.
Some time has passed since I last messed with this issue. At an average rate of 2 game crashes a day I'm fed up with this crashing ruining my fun and in-game reputation.

I'm currently interested in either finding the solution to stop the crashing for good or find a more stable driver to have even less crashes. I prefer option A.

This link http://www.updatexp.com/0xC0000005.html seems to be on the right track of finding the problem to error 0xC0000005. Suggestion one is the memory. I've ran a memtest on the ram and used the computer one 8g stick at a time to see if one was bad. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not the memory since the only other way to know is buying more memory sticks. Suggestion two made my head hurt a bit. Not sure if I should turn off the DEP. I do use a 64-bit windows. Suggestion three is why I'm here... Suggestion four doesn't seem to pertain to me since I don't use internet explorer.

Posted 01/19/2014 12:13 PM   
Do this first: Lets see how the computer is performing normally. Download [url=http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/3dmark_11,1.html]3Dmark 11[/url] Install. REBOOT. Run it. Select: Upgrade Later Select: Performance Select: Benchmark tests only Select: [Orange button] Run 3Dmark 11 Results are shown on a webpage, post that link to the page. ------------------------------------------------------------------ Download [url=http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard] SPECCY [/url] Install it. REBOOT [u]<----REBOOT first :)[/u] Run it. Top Left corner... Select: File Select: PUBLISH SNAPSHOT this opens a box with a link... Put link here. ***************************DO NOT do Saved Snapshot and post that text file. It contains PERSONAL INFORMATION including the Windows AUTH KEY.......Only post the Published Snapshot link I requested please ********************* ============================================================ TDR patch: [quote]Open regedit then - Navigate to - H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Graphics Drivers. Right click on the open field and click on New / DWORD (32bit) Value, Then name it: TdrDelay -> double click it -> Set the value to 8. [/quote] This is not a fix but an increase in the TIME DETECTION AND RECOVERY module of Windows.
Do this first:

Lets see how the computer is performing normally.

Download 3Dmark 11
Install.
REBOOT.
Run it.
Select: Upgrade Later
Select: Performance
Select: Benchmark tests only
Select: [Orange button] Run 3Dmark 11

Results are shown on a webpage, post that link to the page.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Download SPECCY
Install it.
REBOOT <----REBOOT first :)
Run it.
Top Left corner...
Select: File
Select: PUBLISH SNAPSHOT
this opens a box with a link...
Put link here.

***************************DO NOT do Saved Snapshot and post that text file. It contains PERSONAL INFORMATION including the Windows AUTH KEY.......Only post the Published Snapshot link I requested please *********************

============================================================

TDR patch:

Open regedit then -
Navigate to -
H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Graphics Drivers.
Right click on the open field and click on New / DWORD (32bit) Value,
Then name it: TdrDelay -> double click it -> Set the value to 8.

This is not a fix but an increase in the TIME DETECTION AND RECOVERY module of Windows.

Posted 01/19/2014 02:35 PM   
I've ran FurMark stress test in the past and performed well with no crashing for the 30minutes that I ran it.
I've ran FurMark stress test in the past and performed well with no crashing for the 30minutes that I ran it.

Posted 01/23/2014 01:24 PM   
I have ran memtest on my computer, and the memory passed as no problems. I have also ran windows memory diagnostics today, and it said the memory had no problems as well. Here is a link to the 3DMark11 results: [url]http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7918784[/url] *Edit* Sorry about the extra posts below... Here is the published snapshot with no personal info: [url]http://speccy.piriform.com/results/L3meF6PnFq1b80qlhpWJ5XT[/url]
I have ran memtest on my computer, and the memory passed as no problems. I have also ran windows memory diagnostics today, and it said the memory had no problems as well.

Here is a link to the 3DMark11 results: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7918784

*Edit*
Sorry about the extra posts below...
Here is the published snapshot with no personal info: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/L3meF6PnFq1b80qlhpWJ5XT

Posted 02/03/2014 11:00 AM   
Drop into the BIOS.... Look for these options and if found, disable as it is hurting your overall system performance due to CPU throttling: C1 C6 C1E Cool-n-Quiet ---------------- Go through this [url=http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-ultimate-windows-8-edition/5/]SSD guide[/url] and follow the instructions. Your doing several things on your SSD that will detract from its overall performance, capacity and life expectancy. ---------------- Install these drivers:[url=http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/306.97/306.97-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql.exe] 306.97 [/url] ---------------- The last thing I notice is that all three of the POWER SUPPLY voltages ase showing to be undervalue. I automatically assume a software error in reading, but it could also be that it is reading correct and during performance periods, youre getting an even lower voltage drop. Since the game crashes to the desktop, in the background run [url=ftp://ftp.cpuid.com/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.24-setup.exe]CPUID HWmonitor[/url] when you play the game. It will show the MIN / MAX / PRESENT of the voltages, temps, fan speed. Looking for a drop in the voltage area.
Drop into the BIOS....

Look for these options and if found, disable as it is hurting your overall system performance due to CPU throttling:
C1
C6
C1E
Cool-n-Quiet

----------------

Go through this SSD guide and follow the instructions.

Your doing several things on your SSD that will detract from its overall performance, capacity and life expectancy.

----------------

Install these drivers: 306.97

----------------

The last thing I notice is that all three of the POWER SUPPLY voltages ase showing to be undervalue. I automatically assume a software error in reading, but it could also be that it is reading correct and during performance periods, youre getting an even lower voltage drop.

Since the game crashes to the desktop, in the background run CPUID HWmonitor when you play the game.

It will show the MIN / MAX / PRESENT of the voltages, temps, fan speed. Looking for a drop in the voltage area.

Posted 02/03/2014 02:47 PM   
After I set a registry delay Sunday night, I haven't had a game crash since. Then Monday I disabled the C1 and C1E.
After I set a registry delay Sunday night, I haven't had a game crash since. Then Monday I disabled the C1 and C1E.

Posted 02/06/2014 03:09 PM   
Thanks for the update.
Thanks for the update.

Posted 02/07/2014 01:21 AM   
Hey, I'm having the same problem. I've gone through much of the same troubleshooting that you have with no fixes. I'm a little confused at the end, though. What exactly was it that fixed it for you sgraddy?
Hey, I'm having the same problem. I've gone through much of the same troubleshooting that you have with no fixes. I'm a little confused at the end, though.

What exactly was it that fixed it for you sgraddy?

Posted 03/05/2014 10:43 PM   
  1 / 10    
Scroll To Top