Nvbackend.exe
  1 / 2    
After a GeforceExperience update (Which crashed the moment it finished) I noticed in my taskmanager a process called NvBackend.exe which never was there before. I close it and shortly after it pops back up again.. What is this?
After a GeforceExperience update (Which crashed the moment it finished) I noticed in my taskmanager a process called NvBackend.exe which never was there before. I close it and shortly after it pops back up again.. What is this?

Posted 12/03/2013 12:03 AM   
Any explanation would be helpful
Any explanation would be helpful

Posted 12/03/2013 12:48 AM   
I believe the GeForce Experience updater is installing Experience V.1.0 (BETA) and breaking installs. When my updater popped up, I read it (imagine that) and it stated it was an Install dialog for V.1.0 (BETA). So I killed the process in Task Manager which is the only way you can exit it. It's very important to read things. They tried to sneak it pass me but I caught it. I posted a more detailed thread on this issue just about 45 minutes ago when it first happened to me. Currently my GeForce Experience V.1.7.1 is alright as long as I don't open it and "Update" it. That would result in a lot of damage because version 1.0 BETA would severely break the current version.
I believe the GeForce Experience updater is installing Experience V.1.0 (BETA) and breaking installs. When my updater popped up, I read it (imagine that) and it stated it was an Install dialog for V.1.0 (BETA). So I killed the process in Task Manager which is the only way you can exit it. It's very important to read things. They tried to sneak it pass me but I caught it.

I posted a more detailed thread on this issue just about 45 minutes ago when it first happened to me. Currently my GeForce Experience V.1.7.1 is alright as long as I don't open it and "Update" it. That would result in a lot of damage because version 1.0 BETA would severely break the current version.

Posted 12/03/2013 01:11 AM   
Well it still 1.8 on my end and I dont notice anything new other then this nvbackend.exe which I would like to go away 8\ Any think about that?
Well it still 1.8 on my end and I dont notice anything new other then this nvbackend.exe which I would like to go away 8\

Any think about that?

Posted 12/03/2013 01:11 AM   
Still would like a second opinion on what this Process is.
Still would like a second opinion on what this Process is.

Posted 12/03/2013 04:33 AM   
This is main process for GeForce Experience after update. If you kill it, GeForce Experience may crash.
This is main process for GeForce Experience after update. If you kill it, GeForce Experience may crash.

Sergey Nazarov
GeForce Experience team
NVIDIA

Posted 12/03/2013 07:35 AM   
This is kind of interesting. I noticed the same thing and your thread was at the top on Google. I have been running a clean boot since BF4 release and have to turn on the nvidia update service if I want to run Experience. I have not rebooted since my last driver update, so presumably, I am in your same state. The odd thing is, the services I am used to seeing are largely not present and it seems new ones are running in their place. I assume all of this hard work is so that the driver can be emulated before it is registered after my next boot? Kind of cool.
This is kind of interesting. I noticed the same thing and your thread was at the top on Google. I have been running a clean boot since BF4 release and have to turn on the nvidia update service if I want to run Experience. I have not rebooted since my last driver update, so presumably, I am in your same state. The odd thing is, the services I am used to seeing are largely not present and it seems new ones are running in their place. I assume all of this hard work is so that the driver can be emulated before it is registered after my next boot? Kind of cool.

Posted 12/19/2013 01:46 AM   
Hi i have a problem when i am trying to open up the nvidia GeForce Experience control app, when i check my processes NvBackend.exe is using 50-75% CPU at all times. NvBackend.exe v10.11.15.0 OS: Windows 8 Enterprise CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX660 Ti Mem: 16Gb DDR3 Has anybody else had this kind of problem?
Hi i have a problem when i am trying to open up the nvidia GeForce Experience control app, when i check my processes NvBackend.exe is using 50-75% CPU at all times.

NvBackend.exe v10.11.15.0

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX660 Ti
Mem: 16Gb DDR3

Has anybody else had this kind of problem?

Posted 12/30/2013 06:57 PM   
[quote="Thnesko"]Hi i have a problem when i am trying to open up the nvidia GeForce Experience control app, when i check my processes NvBackend.exe is using 50-75% CPU at all times. NvBackend.exe v10.11.15.0 OS: Windows 8 Enterprise CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX660 Ti Mem: 16Gb DDR3 Has anybody else had this kind of problem? [/quote] Are you able to open GeforceExperience and only worried about CPU consumption or you cannot open it?
Thnesko said:Hi i have a problem when i am trying to open up the nvidia GeForce Experience control app, when i check my processes NvBackend.exe is using 50-75% CPU at all times. NvBackend.exe v10.11.15.0 OS: Windows 8 Enterprise CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX660 Ti Mem: 16Gb DDR3 Has anybody else had this kind of problem?

Are you able to open GeforceExperience and only worried about CPU consumption or you cannot open it?

Member of GeForce Experience development team.

Opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect NVIDIA opinions.

Posted 12/31/2013 06:27 AM   
I have some problems with Nvbackend.exe on windows start. Have Lenovo G580A laptop with i3-2370m CPU, 6gb ram and 750gb 5400 rmp HDD. First 5 minutes after start nvbackend scanning all my C: drive and HDD have 100% working time. so i cant do anything before he completes his job or i kill process. What nvbackend.exe doing on pc start?
I have some problems with Nvbackend.exe on windows start. Have Lenovo G580A laptop with i3-2370m CPU, 6gb ram and 750gb 5400 rmp HDD. First 5 minutes after start nvbackend scanning all my C: drive and HDD have 100% working time. so i cant do anything before he completes his job or i kill process.

What nvbackend.exe doing on pc start?

Posted 01/18/2014 08:39 AM   
Hello. I am having an issue with this nvbackend.exe process. Although I really do appreciate what the geforce experience does, it causes some hard drive thrashing. I can be mid-game, on any game, and all of a sudden my hard drive just starts reading, incessantly. Whenever this happens I pull up task manager and it's always the nvbackend.exe causing it. I end the process, and the hard drive thrashing stops. I'm not sure why it has to constantly do this, but I would like the option to turn whatever feature is causing this off. Like I said, I appreciate the thought, but I don't want to have to buy another hard drive in 2 weeks because of it. Please, if you know a way to stop this from happening, I would appreciate the knowledge. Thank you.
Hello. I am having an issue with this nvbackend.exe process. Although I really do appreciate what the geforce experience does, it causes some hard drive thrashing. I can be mid-game, on any game, and all of a sudden my hard drive just starts reading, incessantly. Whenever this happens I pull up task manager and it's always the nvbackend.exe causing it. I end the process, and the hard drive thrashing stops. I'm not sure why it has to constantly do this, but I would like the option to turn whatever feature is causing this off. Like I said, I appreciate the thought, but I don't want to have to buy another hard drive in 2 weeks because of it. Please, if you know a way to stop this from happening, I would appreciate the knowledge. Thank you.

Posted 01/22/2014 05:38 AM   
BTW, I already disabled everything nvidia from my startup, but it still starts everything up. I don't want to have to disable everything nvidia related, I just want the nvbackend.exe to quit accessing my hard drive like it does. Other than that, I really love your hardware and plan to keep using nvidia for all my graphics solutions.
BTW, I already disabled everything nvidia from my startup, but it still starts everything up. I don't want to have to disable everything nvidia related, I just want the nvbackend.exe to quit accessing my hard drive like it does. Other than that, I really love your hardware and plan to keep using nvidia for all my graphics solutions.

Posted 01/22/2014 05:41 AM   
merkantiloid, MiseryIndex There is setting in Preferences tab named "Automatically scan for games daily". [img]http://i44.tinypic.com/261kier.png[/img] It is probably more that a day from the previous game scan and the game scan is started in automatically in background. It uses the locations listed above for both user-initiated and this daily scan, so if you added something like C:\ there it will take a lot of time. Solutions: 1) Have less files under "locations" to make it quick. You have your games installed under C:\Games or D:\steam anyway, don't you? Pros: if new game is supported it is automatically found. If the game is patched it is automatically found again without you even noticing. Cons: still does some work in background once a day. 2) Disable "Automatically scan for games daily". Pros: NvBackend.exe will not update your game list on daily basis. Cons: If we support new game or your game is patched and can no longer be detected you'll not know this until manually refresh the game list from the "Games" tab (there is small button under the game list). Thank you for your feedback.
merkantiloid, MiseryIndex

There is setting in Preferences tab named "Automatically scan for games daily".

It is probably more that a day from the previous game scan and the game scan is started in automatically in background.
It uses the locations listed above for both user-initiated and this daily scan, so if you added something like C:\ there it will take a lot of time.

Solutions:
1) Have less files under "locations" to make it quick. You have your games installed under C:\Games or D:\steam anyway, don't you?
Pros: if new game is supported it is automatically found. If the game is patched it is automatically found again without you even noticing.
Cons: still does some work in background once a day.

2) Disable "Automatically scan for games daily".
Pros: NvBackend.exe will not update your game list on daily basis.
Cons: If we support new game or your game is patched and can no longer be detected you'll not know this until manually refresh the game list from the "Games" tab (there is small button under the game list).

Thank you for your feedback.

Member of GeForce Experience development team.

Opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect NVIDIA opinions.

Posted 01/22/2014 09:44 AM   
Thanks for the reply, that was fast! Yeah, I would probably rather do it manually, here and there. Thank you so much.
Thanks for the reply, that was fast! Yeah, I would probably rather do it manually, here and there. Thank you so much.

Posted 01/22/2014 06:37 PM   
I have everything disabled and NVBackend.exe still thrashes hard drive every start, the settings have no effect just like disabling Driver Controlled LOD Bias has no effect on clamping Negative LOD bias to 0 in D3d. My recommendation is uninstall the GFX and get Nvidia Inspector and learn to tweak your own profiles.
I have everything disabled and NVBackend.exe still thrashes hard drive every start, the settings have no effect just like disabling Driver Controlled LOD Bias has no effect on clamping Negative LOD bias to 0 in D3d.

My recommendation is uninstall the GFX and get Nvidia Inspector and learn to tweak your own profiles.

Posted 05/07/2014 09:22 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top