PSU wattage and GTX 760 (Do I have enough, or is more needed?)
I'm just about to purchase the "GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0" card, however before I do I need to make sure I have enough power from my PSU. On the product's page on newegg.com, this card shows that it requires at least a 500watt PSU. Where as my current PSU is the "Antec BP-550 plus", so I'm not sure if that is sufficient or if I need a higher wattage PSU. I only plan to have one graphics card installed going to one monitor, though I do want use the 3D capabilities; which means buying the 3D glasses soon. Though I'm also trying to watch my funds...what I mean is, if I do need a higher wattage PSU...can anyone recommend one that is at a reasonable price? Or do I even need a higher one? I don't know. At any rate, the following list are the items in and attached to my computer. Intel i5-3570K CPU @ 3.4GHz Asus P8Z77-V motherboard (I'm not sure if this one is considered normal or high-end) LG Blu-Ray Burner (internal) LG DVD-Rom (internal, old, possibly disconnected) 4 - 4GB Ram DDR3 1 - Hard Drive SATA 2 7200RPM (internal) 1 - Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive Linksys AE3000 wifi connected Logitech K120 Keyboard ($10 basic) Logitech Mouse ($8 basic) Asus VW246 monitor (soon to be replaced with the ASUS VG248QE) Lastly, I apologize if I sound ignorant at all about this. I use to know a lot about the technical aspects of computer hardware, but I switched fields and now work with 3D modeling software. But I still enjoy building and upgrading my computer, I'm just not as up-to-date with everything hardware wise...as you can probably tell. :)
I'm just about to purchase the "GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0" card, however before I do I need to make sure I have enough power from my PSU. On the product's page on newegg.com, this card shows that it requires at least a 500watt PSU. Where as my current PSU is the "Antec BP-550 plus", so I'm not sure if that is sufficient or if I need a higher wattage PSU.

I only plan to have one graphics card installed going to one monitor, though I do want use the 3D capabilities; which means buying the 3D glasses soon. Though I'm also trying to watch my funds...what I mean is, if I do need a higher wattage PSU...can anyone recommend one that is at a reasonable price? Or do I even need a higher one? I don't know.

At any rate, the following list are the items in and attached to my computer.

Intel i5-3570K CPU @ 3.4GHz
Asus P8Z77-V motherboard (I'm not sure if this one is considered normal or high-end)
LG Blu-Ray Burner (internal)
LG DVD-Rom (internal, old, possibly disconnected)
4 - 4GB Ram DDR3
1 - Hard Drive SATA 2 7200RPM (internal)
1 - Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive
Linksys AE3000 wifi connected
Logitech K120 Keyboard ($10 basic)
Logitech Mouse ($8 basic)
Asus VW246 monitor (soon to be replaced with the ASUS VG248QE)

Lastly, I apologize if I sound ignorant at all about this. I use to know a lot about the technical aspects of computer hardware, but I switched fields and now work with 3D modeling software. But I still enjoy building and upgrading my computer, I'm just not as up-to-date with everything hardware wise...as you can probably tell. :)

Posted 11/24/2013 08:21 PM   
That power supply should be plenty. I'm drawing under 500W with this system: i7-4960x 32Gb DDR3 2333 Ram asus Geforce GTX 780 Ti Asus rampage 4 extreme mobo corsair liquid cooling 280mm radiator 4 ram fans 1 asus blueray burner 1 asus dvd multi drive 1 128Gb sd 1 1Tb 7200rpm hdd 7 case fans roccat isku keyboard roccat kone mouse Razer Megalodon Headphones LG 1080 webcam That's under 500 watts when in battlefield 4 at 5760x1080 max detail settings. I'm reading the wattage off the UPS. I bought a ridiculous 1200W power supply thinking I was going to need it.
That power supply should be plenty. I'm drawing under 500W with this system:

i7-4960x
32Gb DDR3 2333 Ram
asus Geforce GTX 780 Ti
Asus rampage 4 extreme mobo
corsair liquid cooling 280mm radiator
4 ram fans
1 asus blueray burner
1 asus dvd multi drive
1 128Gb sd
1 1Tb 7200rpm hdd
7 case fans
roccat isku keyboard
roccat kone mouse
Razer Megalodon Headphones
LG 1080 webcam

That's under 500 watts when in battlefield 4 at 5760x1080 max detail settings. I'm reading the wattage off the UPS. I bought a ridiculous 1200W power supply thinking I was going to need it.

Posted 11/24/2013 09:02 PM   
Wow, that is an amazing rig you have there, PsychoStick! Also, knowing that your system is practically twice that of mine, yet still drawing in less than 500W makes me feel a lot better. As I really didn't have the funds to get a new graphics card, monitor AND a new PSU. So I'm going to go ahead and get just the graphics card and monitor...than sell my old card and monitor and use that to buy the 3D vision glasses. Thank you, again!
Wow, that is an amazing rig you have there, PsychoStick! Also, knowing that your system is practically twice that of mine, yet still drawing in less than 500W makes me feel a lot better. As I really didn't have the funds to get a new graphics card, monitor AND a new PSU.

So I'm going to go ahead and get just the graphics card and monitor...than sell my old card and monitor and use that to buy the 3D vision glasses.

Thank you, again!

Posted 11/24/2013 09:23 PM   
Don't go to far overboard on the glasses unless you're planning on watching 3d movies on a decent size screen. I'm using passive glasses on a 50" for movies, and playing crysis 3 on 3 50" at 5760x1080 with passive glasses and everything looks decent. I'd try the $10 glasses before buying active 3D considering how much it costs.
Don't go to far overboard on the glasses unless you're planning on watching 3d movies on a decent size screen. I'm using passive glasses on a 50" for movies, and playing crysis 3 on 3 50" at 5760x1080 with passive glasses and everything looks decent. I'd try the $10 glasses before buying active 3D considering how much it costs.

Posted 11/25/2013 12:33 AM   
AMPS matter more, as do solid quality components. both which antec has a history for lacking.
AMPS matter more, as do solid quality components.

both which antec has a history for lacking.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

CPU:Intel i7 920 @ 3.8(D0), Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Monitor:BenQ G2400WD
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Posted 11/25/2013 03:31 PM   
Scroll To Top