Battlefield 4 - ShadowPlay causing crashes?
  1 / 2    
I just wanted to pop on here and point out a potential issue with ShadowPlay and BF4. I have heard that there were a good amount of players having a similar crash. So tossing my 2 cents in to maybe help you. I've repeated this issue now a few times. The video card I am using is a ASUS 680 gtx 4gig card. The issue seems to stem from the widget type dashboard and the video length cut off time. Example being that I have my timer set to record the last 10 minutes of gameplay. Like clockwork at 10 minutes into a Multiplayer match, I would experience a full game lockup with sound looping. This would then lead to a white screen during interupt to access the task manager. Program force closed per normal after white screen. I reliably crashed the game 5+ times this way. Solution is to disable shadowplay by hitting the "power switch" graphic in the dashboard. Other attempts made to avoid hard crash included various setting changes, none seemed to prevent crash. Only thing that worked for me was to turn it off. It has not crashed for me again since.
I just wanted to pop on here and point out a potential issue with ShadowPlay and BF4. I have heard that there were a good amount of players having a similar crash. So tossing my 2 cents in to maybe help you.

I've repeated this issue now a few times.

The video card I am using is a ASUS 680 gtx 4gig card.

The issue seems to stem from the widget type dashboard and the video length cut off time. Example being that I have my timer set to record the last 10 minutes of gameplay. Like clockwork at 10 minutes into a Multiplayer match, I would experience a full game lockup with sound looping. This would then lead to a white screen during interupt to access the task manager. Program force closed per normal after white screen.

I reliably crashed the game 5+ times this way.

Solution is to disable shadowplay by hitting the "power switch" graphic in the dashboard. Other attempts made to avoid hard crash included various setting changes, none seemed to prevent crash. Only thing that worked for me was to turn it off. It has not crashed for me again since.

Posted 10/31/2013 05:47 PM   
Do you play League of Legends at all? If so do you experience the same lock ups in league? I use 5 minute intervals and I get a freeze bang on time at 5 minutes (not game clock but 5 minutes after loading screen) - I suspect we are both experiencing the same thing? I'm using a 780 GTX and writing to a spare SSD - clean driver install, windows 8 64bit etc..
Do you play League of Legends at all?
If so do you experience the same lock ups in league?

I use 5 minute intervals and I get a freeze bang on time at 5 minutes (not game clock but 5 minutes after loading screen) - I suspect we are both experiencing the same thing?

I'm using a 780 GTX and writing to a spare SSD - clean driver install, windows 8 64bit etc..

Posted 10/31/2013 05:57 PM   
Hey! Could you two guys post your system specs? It would be great if there happened to be a nice pattern to work with.
Hey!

Could you two guys post your system specs? It would be great if there happened to be a nice pattern to work with.

Opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of Nvidia, any other entity, or individual.

Posted 10/31/2013 09:47 PM   
I just wanted to say that I've experienced similar crashes. I can by no means prove that it's "Shadowplay" causing any kind of my problems, but I suspect it. - After the recent driver-update, which included Shadowplay, I've experienced some serious hardcrashes. Rarely in Warframe and very often in Battlefield 4 (it's practically unplayable) This happens to me even though the powerswitch is set to off in the Shadowplay-menu though. Edit: Crashes keep occuring. But not just the game shutting down, really hard crashes.. that forces me to reboot the system every time. So far I've experienced several kind of crashes, in BF4, both Multi - and Singleplayer. 1) Game crashes to a black screen (Fixed by rebooting computer) 2) Game crashes to a white screen (Fixed by rebooting computer) 3) Game crashes and computer restarts itself 4) Game crashes to desktop with the following DirectX error: Dxgi_error_device_hung (Several other people have received the same error as far as I can tell) 5) Game crashes and monitor looses it's video signal. Monitor goes on standby with the following message: "DVI - No Signal Input" (Fixed by rebooting computer) ... I have absolutely no idea how to fix this, it only happens with BF4, and once in Warframe .. and have never occured before.. All of the crashes are labeled as "Kernel-Power" errors in the Windows log (from Geforce Experience) My Rig: i7-2600K @ 3.40 GHz Asus GTX 770 8 GB Ram Windows 7 (64bit) Running Nvidia driverversion: 331.65
I just wanted to say that I've experienced similar crashes. I can by no means prove that it's "Shadowplay" causing any kind of my problems, but I suspect it.

- After the recent driver-update, which included Shadowplay, I've experienced some serious hardcrashes. Rarely in Warframe and very often in Battlefield 4 (it's practically unplayable)
This happens to me even though the powerswitch is set to off in the Shadowplay-menu though.

Edit: Crashes keep occuring. But not just the game shutting down, really hard crashes.. that forces me to reboot the system every time.

So far I've experienced several kind of crashes, in BF4, both Multi - and Singleplayer.
1) Game crashes to a black screen (Fixed by rebooting computer)
2) Game crashes to a white screen (Fixed by rebooting computer)
3) Game crashes and computer restarts itself
4) Game crashes to desktop with the following DirectX error: Dxgi_error_device_hung (Several other people have received the same error as far as I can tell)
5) Game crashes and monitor looses it's video signal. Monitor goes on standby with the following message: "DVI - No Signal Input" (Fixed by rebooting computer) ...

I have absolutely no idea how to fix this, it only happens with BF4, and once in Warframe .. and have never occured before..
All of the crashes are labeled as "Kernel-Power" errors in the Windows log (from Geforce Experience)

My Rig:
i7-2600K @ 3.40 GHz
Asus GTX 770
8 GB Ram
Windows 7 (64bit)

Running Nvidia driverversion: 331.65

Posted 10/31/2013 10:27 PM   
After a second clean install of Shadowplay, the freezes are now less frequent but significantly longer in length. Additionally there appears to be now sound during the freezes, nor control of the underlying game. N.B. that my freezes are limited to League of Legends so far. My Rig (Full detail included as I recently had a problem with 8.1 as a result of a peripheral I never expected to cause issues). Peripherals: Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei (including latest SteelSeries engine 2) Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow (including latest Razer Synapse) Headset: Logitech G930 Wireless (including latest Logitech Game Software) USB HDD: Buffalo 2TB Microsoft Wireless Receiver (For controller pads) USB Printer Hardware: Geforce GTX 780 + Latest Drivers/Geforce Exp + MSI Afterburner & OSD (RivaTuner) Fully updated. Geforce GTX 570 Physx + 2 Additional Screens. I7 950 @ 4.1 + Socket 1366. Gigabyte G1 Sniper 1366. Raid 0 SSD array for C: on Gigabyte Sata 6Gbs. OCZ Vertex 2 SSD for D: Recording of Shadowplay - ICH10R Intel Sata 3 port. RAM: Unsure if 16 or 18Gb - don't remember the exact config here. Windows 8 64Bit Pro. I think this rounds off the majority of components - as I said over detailed (except can't remember how I set the RAM up). What I don't fully understand about the 'freezing' in League is the infrequency and variation on duration. Yet I have confirmed that switching Shadowplay off solves the problem. Any help is appreciated
After a second clean install of Shadowplay, the freezes are now less frequent but significantly longer in length. Additionally there appears to be now sound during the freezes, nor control of the underlying game.

N.B. that my freezes are limited to League of Legends so far.

My Rig (Full detail included as I recently had a problem with 8.1 as a result of a peripheral I never expected to cause issues).

Peripherals:
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei (including latest SteelSeries engine 2)
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow (including latest Razer Synapse)
Headset: Logitech G930 Wireless (including latest Logitech Game Software)
USB HDD: Buffalo 2TB
Microsoft Wireless Receiver (For controller pads)
USB Printer

Hardware:
Geforce GTX 780 + Latest Drivers/Geforce Exp + MSI Afterburner & OSD (RivaTuner) Fully updated.
Geforce GTX 570 Physx + 2 Additional Screens.
I7 950 @ 4.1 + Socket 1366.
Gigabyte G1 Sniper 1366.
Raid 0 SSD array for C: on Gigabyte Sata 6Gbs.
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD for D: Recording of Shadowplay - ICH10R Intel Sata 3 port.
RAM: Unsure if 16 or 18Gb - don't remember the exact config here.
Windows 8 64Bit Pro.

I think this rounds off the majority of components - as I said over detailed (except can't remember how I set the RAM up).

What I don't fully understand about the 'freezing' in League is the infrequency and variation on duration. Yet I have confirmed that switching Shadowplay off solves the problem.

Any help is appreciated

Posted 11/01/2013 10:28 AM   
I am also having issues with Shadowplay. After a while in Battlefield 4, I noticed it gets drastically more laggy. I will lose control of my character and keep running, or having significant delays in input with my keyboard and mouse (at least 5 seconds with no response). This does not happen when Shadowplay is off. I know both are relatively new, so it could be an issue on either end, but I thought I would bring this up. All my drivers are up to date & my system specs are listed below.... Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo EVGA GTX 680 2GB (reference) Intel 3770k @ 3.4 gHz 8GB Patriot Intel Extreme @ 1866 MHz Corsair TX 750 PSU OCZ Agility 3 128 GB SSD 1TB Seagate HDD 2TB Toshiba HDD 3TB Western Digital HDD Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard Logitech G500 Mouse Asus VG248QE 144Hz Monitor (FYI I'm excited for G-sync) I will try to get a video of it when I get home from work.
I am also having issues with Shadowplay. After a while in Battlefield 4, I noticed it gets drastically more laggy. I will lose control of my character and keep running, or having significant delays in input with my keyboard and mouse (at least 5 seconds with no response). This does not happen when Shadowplay is off. I know both are relatively new, so it could be an issue on either end, but I thought I would bring this up. All my drivers are up to date & my system specs are listed below....

Windows 8 Pro (64-bit)
Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo
EVGA GTX 680 2GB (reference)
Intel 3770k @ 3.4 gHz
8GB Patriot Intel Extreme @ 1866 MHz
Corsair TX 750 PSU
OCZ Agility 3 128 GB SSD
1TB Seagate HDD
2TB Toshiba HDD
3TB Western Digital HDD
Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard
Logitech G500 Mouse
Asus VG248QE 144Hz Monitor

(FYI I'm excited for G-sync)

I will try to get a video of it when I get home from work.

Posted 11/01/2013 01:03 PM   
Thanks for the detailed responses! Thank you, Mr. Frog for listing 3rd party peripherals, too. Our engineers are aware of these and other issues. I have no ETA for anything, but these details will be helpful.
Thanks for the detailed responses! Thank you, Mr. Frog for listing 3rd party peripherals, too.

Our engineers are aware of these and other issues. I have no ETA for anything, but these details will be helpful.

Opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of Nvidia, any other entity, or individual.

Posted 11/01/2013 05:21 PM   
i72600k@4.6 GTX 680 2GB SLI 16GB 1600MHZ Ripjaws RAM 331.65 I also experienced a complete system freeze while playing BF4 and attempting to save the last 20 minutes of playtime using the Alt-F10 method. The system lockup came about 30 seconds after doing this. After rebooting I noticed the video file was only 4.4GB and any media player I use says the file is corrupt and unreadable. I had played for about 30 minutes beforehand, so it should have been the complete ~7GB. Definitely something up.
i72600k@4.6
GTX 680 2GB SLI
16GB 1600MHZ Ripjaws RAM

I also experienced a complete system freeze while playing BF4 and attempting to save the last 20 minutes of playtime using the Alt-F10 method. The system lockup came about 30 seconds after doing this. After rebooting I noticed the video file was only 4.4GB and any media player I use says the file is corrupt and unreadable. I had played for about 30 minutes beforehand, so it should have been the complete ~7GB. Definitely something up.

Posted 11/02/2013 10:07 PM   
Can you do me a favor and try to get this issue to happen again but with shadow mode disabled (manual only)? Make sure that there are no games running, enable shadowplay from the switch (or if it's already on, disable it and wait 15 seconds, then re-enable it) then change the mode to manual only. Then start a game and try to record? [quote=xNinjaSkillz]"I am also having issues with Shadowplay. After a while in Battlefield 4, I noticed it gets drastically more laggy."[/quote] Can you elaborate on how long it takes for this to happen? Is it a consistent time?
Can you do me a favor and try to get this issue to happen again but with shadow mode disabled (manual only)?

Make sure that there are no games running, enable shadowplay from the switch (or if it's already on, disable it and wait 15 seconds, then re-enable it) then change the mode to manual only.

Then start a game and try to record?

xNinjaSkillz said:"I am also having issues with Shadowplay. After a while in Battlefield 4, I noticed it gets drastically more laggy."

Can you elaborate on how long it takes for this to happen? Is it a consistent time?

Posted 11/03/2013 12:57 AM   
I did a clean reinstall of the 331.65 drivers and was still experiencing crashing in Battlefield. I was also experiencing crashes in Batman:AO. Disabling shadowplay and only having the manual mode enabled seems to have fixed all of my crashes. Was able to play for 2 hours, where before I was barely getting to 15-20 minutes before a crash. Maybe it was crashing at the 20 minute shadowplay limit?
I did a clean reinstall of the 331.65 drivers and was still experiencing crashing in Battlefield. I was also experiencing crashes in Batman:AO. Disabling shadowplay and only having the manual mode enabled seems to have fixed all of my crashes. Was able to play for 2 hours, where before I was barely getting to 15-20 minutes before a crash. Maybe it was crashing at the 20 minute shadowplay limit?

Posted 11/03/2013 02:41 PM   
For my part - BF4 still absolutely fine - have recorded some videos and not encountered any hiccups. With regards to League - I'm still getting sporadic freezes (short in duration, circa 1-3 seconds) with no discernible pattern or cause.
For my part - BF4 still absolutely fine - have recorded some videos and not encountered any hiccups.

With regards to League - I'm still getting sporadic freezes (short in duration, circa 1-3 seconds) with no discernible pattern or cause.

Posted 11/04/2013 01:56 PM   
[quote="NeoandGeo"]I did a clean reinstall of the 331.65 drivers and was still experiencing crashing in Battlefield. I was also experiencing crashes in Batman:AO. Disabling shadowplay and only having the manual mode enabled seems to have fixed all of my crashes. Was able to play for 2 hours, where before I was barely getting to 15-20 minutes before a crash. Maybe it was crashing at the 20 minute shadowplay limit?[/quote] I´m having the EXACT SAME problem with those 2 games. Will try your fix immediately once I get home. THANKS
NeoandGeo said:I did a clean reinstall of the 331.65 drivers and was still experiencing crashing in Battlefield. I was also experiencing crashes in Batman:AO. Disabling shadowplay and only having the manual mode enabled seems to have fixed all of my crashes. Was able to play for 2 hours, where before I was barely getting to 15-20 minutes before a crash. Maybe it was crashing at the 20 minute shadowplay limit?

I´m having the EXACT SAME problem with those 2 games. Will try your fix immediately once I get home. THANKS

Posted 11/07/2013 03:07 PM   
For me I had to downgrade my drivers to the ones previous to 331.65 and all the crashing issues went away.
For me I had to downgrade my drivers to the ones previous to 331.65 and all the crashing issues went away.

Posted 11/07/2013 06:24 PM   
i have the same problem with windows 8. i just up graded and did a fresh install of geforce experience. when i start up shadow play my whole system crashes with no game on. hope u guys fix this soon. wish i would have stayed on win 7.
i have the same problem with windows 8. i just up graded and did a fresh install of geforce experience. when i start up shadow play my whole system crashes with no game on. hope u guys fix this soon. wish i would have stayed on win 7.

Posted 11/11/2013 02:13 AM   
I dont think there is a way to be sure this has to do with shadowplay untill Dice releases a patch as im getting the same crashes with no shadowplay. atm the game is so buggy its hard to tell whats causing it.
I dont think there is a way to be sure this has to do with shadowplay untill Dice releases a patch as im getting the same crashes with no shadowplay. atm the game is so buggy its hard to tell whats causing it.

Posted 11/11/2013 05:07 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top