ShadowPlay - Surround sound issue
Currently, it seems like ShadowPlay only captures audio in 2 channels (I'm guessing Left and Right). As someone using a surround sound audio device (7.1 surround sound headset (Logitech G930)), the captured video lacks most game sound, as it only captures 2 out of 5/7/whatever many sound channels a surround setup would output. Is surround sound support a yet unimplemented feature, or is this just a bug with the beta release?
Currently, it seems like ShadowPlay only captures audio in 2 channels (I'm guessing Left and Right). As someone using a surround sound audio device (7.1 surround sound headset (Logitech G930)), the captured video lacks most game sound, as it only captures 2 out of 5/7/whatever many sound channels a surround setup would output.

Is surround sound support a yet unimplemented feature, or is this just a bug with the beta release?

Posted 10/28/2013 06:26 PM   
I've also experienced this but only in one game. I've so far tried Shadowplay with Arma 3, Team Fortress 2, Homeworld 2 and X3 Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude. Arma 3 and TF2 worked seemingly fine, all the audio comes out fine that I could see. Homeworld 2 simply didn't' record at all. I'm guessing simply the age of the game perhaps? X3 though I had the surround sound issue. Sounds were 'missing' or otherwise subdued from what they normally sounded like, as if the center speaker was missing.
I've also experienced this but only in one game. I've so far tried Shadowplay with Arma 3, Team Fortress 2, Homeworld 2 and X3 Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude.

Arma 3 and TF2 worked seemingly fine, all the audio comes out fine that I could see.

Homeworld 2 simply didn't' record at all. I'm guessing simply the age of the game perhaps?

X3 though I had the surround sound issue. Sounds were 'missing' or otherwise subdued from what they normally sounded like, as if the center speaker was missing.

Posted 10/29/2013 02:37 PM   
Not only that but it distort the sound horribly. I think its a something with normalyzing the sound during recording... dont know for sure...
Not only that but it distort the sound horribly. I think its a something with normalyzing the sound during recording... dont know for sure...

Posted 10/30/2013 08:02 PM   
I have a similar issue in Skyrim. I have a 5.1 capable sound card and general play through a 5.1 speaker setup. Sound is awesome. Until I play back the shadowplay video. Then I find I captured odd moments of sound and none of the center channel. If you didn't guess, the center channel is where much of the sound is for anything directly in front of you. Anyway, it would be awesome if the audio could be playing in surround and either encoded in surround on the video or mixed down to left and right channels properly (center channel balanced across both). I'm not entirely sure, but the two channels recorded might have been the rear left and right channels. The game music sounds good but dialog and anything in front of me is muted. I love the quality of the video though and have not noticed any hits on frame rate. jbs
I have a similar issue in Skyrim. I have a 5.1 capable sound card and general play through a 5.1 speaker setup. Sound is awesome. Until I play back the shadowplay video. Then I find I captured odd moments of sound and none of the center channel. If you didn't guess, the center channel is where much of the sound is for anything directly in front of you.

Anyway, it would be awesome if the audio could be playing in surround and either encoded in surround on the video or mixed down to left and right channels properly (center channel balanced across both).

I'm not entirely sure, but the two channels recorded might have been the rear left and right channels. The game music sounds good but dialog and anything in front of me is muted.

I love the quality of the video though and have not noticed any hits on frame rate.

jbs

Posted 11/13/2013 03:09 AM   
[quote="switchtech"]I have a similar issue in Skyrim. I have a 5.1 capable sound card and general play through a 5.1 speaker setup. Sound is awesome. Until I play back the shadowplay video. Then I find I captured odd moments of sound and none of the center channel. If you didn't guess, the center channel is where much of the sound is for anything directly in front of you. Anyway, it would be awesome if the audio could be playing in surround and either encoded in surround on the video or mixed down to left and right channels properly (center channel balanced across both). I'm not entirely sure, but the two channels recorded might have been the rear left and right channels. The game music sounds good but dialog and anything in front of me is muted. I love the quality of the video though and have not noticed any hits on frame rate. jbs[/quote] Yea same the sound really bad when you've recorded skyrim with 5.1
switchtech said:I have a similar issue in Skyrim. I have a 5.1 capable sound card and general play through a 5.1 speaker setup. Sound is awesome. Until I play back the shadowplay video. Then I find I captured odd moments of sound and none of the center channel. If you didn't guess, the center channel is where much of the sound is for anything directly in front of you.

Anyway, it would be awesome if the audio could be playing in surround and either encoded in surround on the video or mixed down to left and right channels properly (center channel balanced across both).

I'm not entirely sure, but the two channels recorded might have been the rear left and right channels. The game music sounds good but dialog and anything in front of me is muted.

I love the quality of the video though and have not noticed any hits on frame rate.

jbs

Yea same the sound really bad when you've recorded skyrim with 5.1

Posted 11/13/2013 04:16 PM   
I have a creative X-fi titanium sound card and play with 5.1 speakers using 3 jacks (front, center+woofer and rear). Shadowplay only records the front 2 channels, so a lot of sound goes missing. I would like Nvidia to acknowledge this issue and work on it for a future release :) it would be much appreciated.
I have a creative X-fi titanium sound card and play with 5.1 speakers using 3 jacks (front, center+woofer and rear). Shadowplay only records the front 2 channels, so a lot of sound goes missing. I would like Nvidia to acknowledge this issue and work on it for a future release :) it would be much appreciated.

Posted 12/07/2013 12:00 AM   
This is still an ongoing issue. Had to switch my headphones to Stereo in order to stop ShadowPlay audio issues.
This is still an ongoing issue. Had to switch my headphones to Stereo in order to stop ShadowPlay audio issues.

Posted 03/04/2014 02:50 PM   
Yea I was wondering why all my recorded videos were coming out with sound that sounded like a demon speaking haha turns out my realtek HD Audio was set to 5.1 surround sound. I changed that to stereo and now my videos have sound. The only annoying thing is that I would rather game in 5.1 sound but I can't do so if I want to record. Is there going to be a fix for this?
Yea I was wondering why all my recorded videos were coming out with sound that sounded like a demon speaking haha turns out my realtek HD Audio was set to 5.1 surround sound. I changed that to stereo and now my videos have sound. The only annoying thing is that I would rather game in 5.1 sound but I can't do so if I want to record. Is there going to be a fix for this?

Posted 03/05/2014 02:36 PM   
I thought I would drop back in to say one of the recent updates to Geforce experience fixed my surround recording issue. I don't think it is actually recording surround channels, but the audio for front left and right seem to be coming through correctly now. This is usable now. jbs [quote="switchtech"]I have a similar issue in Skyrim. I have a 5.1 capable sound card and general play through a 5.1 speaker setup. Sound is awesome. Until I play back the shadowplay video. Then I find I captured odd moments of sound and none of the center channel. If you didn't guess, the center channel is where much of the sound is for anything directly in front of you. Anyway, it would be awesome if the audio could be playing in surround and either encoded in surround on the video or mixed down to left and right channels properly (center channel balanced across both). I'm not entirely sure, but the two channels recorded might have been the rear left and right channels. The game music sounds good but dialog and anything in front of me is muted. I love the quality of the video though and have not noticed any hits on frame rate. jbs[/quote]
I thought I would drop back in to say one of the recent updates to Geforce experience fixed my surround recording issue. I don't think it is actually recording surround channels, but the audio for front left and right seem to be coming through correctly now.

This is usable now.

jbs

switchtech said:I have a similar issue in Skyrim. I have a 5.1 capable sound card and general play through a 5.1 speaker setup. Sound is awesome. Until I play back the shadowplay video. Then I find I captured odd moments of sound and none of the center channel. If you didn't guess, the center channel is where much of the sound is for anything directly in front of you.

jbs

Posted 03/13/2014 11:31 PM   
My audio issues have returned, and I'm not sure why. Switching my headset to stereo doesn't seem to resolve this issue anymore. --- EDIT: Fixed it again. This time, it was related to Realtek HD Audio Manager - the speakers were set on "Front Speakers Out", and had to be changed to "Headphones".
My audio issues have returned, and I'm not sure why. Switching my headset to stereo doesn't seem to resolve this issue anymore.

---

EDIT:
Fixed it again. This time, it was related to Realtek HD Audio Manager - the speakers were set on "Front Speakers Out", and had to be changed to "Headphones".

Posted 05/17/2014 05:48 PM   
This is still an issue. Enabling 5.1 surround in CS GO is practically mandatory as hearing where people are based on sound is a huge part of the game. The sound in ShadowPlay videos is distant and hollow, as if only 2 of the 5 channels gets recorded. It has almost been 3 years since this topic was created... No change :( Come on NVIDIA
This is still an issue. Enabling 5.1 surround in CS GO is practically mandatory as hearing where people are based on sound is a huge part of the game. The sound in ShadowPlay videos is distant and hollow, as if only 2 of the 5 channels gets recorded.

It has almost been 3 years since this topic was created... No change :(

Come on NVIDIA

Posted 01/27/2016 01:26 AM   
Still not fixed. Confirmed: Only 2 of 5 channels gets recorded. Wow, NVIDIA.
Still not fixed. Confirmed: Only 2 of 5 channels gets recorded.
Wow, NVIDIA.

Windows 8.1 64-Bit
8GB RAM (4GBx2) DDR3 1600Mhz
Pegatron MSI MS-7778 JasmineR mATX
AMD APU: A8-6500 Quad Core @ 3.5Ghz/4.1Ghz Turbo
Gigabyte GTX 960 OC Mini ITX 2GB GDDR5
| Driver: 362.00
Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm HDD
SeaSonic S12G 550w
Acer S241HL 24"
Acer S241HL 24"

Posted 08/31/2016 09:19 PM   
Still not sorted. Dead by Daylight, only recording 2 channels. :(
Still not sorted. Dead by Daylight, only recording 2 channels. :(

---------------------------------------------------

Processor:
QuadCore Intel Core i7-3770K, 3700 MHz

Motherboard:
Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN, Thunderbolt)

Memory:
16328 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)

Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Monitor:
BENQ XL2411T 144Hz NVIDIA® 3D Vision™ 2-ready

Sound Card:
Realtek ALC892 @ Intel Panther Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller

Speakers:
5.1 Surround

Headset:
Razer Megalodon 7.1 Headset