Total War: Rome II
  2 / 15    
Usually on such a big realse like this, Nvidia has the SLi profile ready before the game is released.
Usually on such a big realse like this, Nvidia has the SLi profile ready before the game is released.

Posted 09/04/2013 11:48 PM   
Yeah I was a bit surprised to see that they didn't :/
Yeah I was a bit surprised to see that they didn't :/

Clevo P170SM:
Intel Core i7-4800MQ 2.7GHz-4.0GHz (OC'd), 8GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600MHz RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB (OC'd), Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD, Windows 8.1 64bit

Samsung NP550P5C-S03UK:
Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz-3.1GHz, 6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB (OC'd), Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

Posted 09/05/2013 09:20 AM   
But CA didn't let Nvidia to optimize the game - that's the reason why there were no drivers at the release time. Guys - we're now in Rome 2 BETA. CA Fd up badly. We payed to participate in BETA. It's not Nvidia's fault.
But CA didn't let Nvidia to optimize the game - that's the reason why there were no drivers at the release time. Guys - we're now in Rome 2 BETA. CA Fd up badly. We payed to participate in BETA. It's not Nvidia's fault.

Posted 09/05/2013 01:24 PM   
Any news at all?
Any news at all?

Posted 09/05/2013 03:42 PM   
Nothing new to report, seeing the same perf issues on AMD and NVIDIA cards, So while we are still looking into improvements we can offer via drivers, just on the surface level it seems to be more of a game optimization issue.
Nothing new to report, seeing the same perf issues on AMD and NVIDIA cards, So while we are still looking into improvements we can offer via drivers, just on the surface level it seems to be more of a game optimization issue.

Home::Asus P8Z68 Deluxe::i7 2600k::16g Corsair Vengeance::Samsung 830 120gb SSD(OS)::GTX 690/GTX650Ti Physx :Asus AE247H x3 Surround.
Test rig::P9X79::i7-3820: Gskills 8gb::EVGA GTX 670SC SLI
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread, I sometimes forget to check all of the many ones I reply to.
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of NVIDIA
Email Support:::Beta & Archived Driver Search:::Browser TDR Survey:::Promo Code Tips

Posted 09/05/2013 04:41 PM   
[quote="Josh@NVIDIA"]Nothing new to report, seeing the same perf issues on AMD and NVIDIA cards, So while we are still looking into improvements we can offer via drivers, just on the surface level it seems to be more of a game optimization issue.[/quote] Thanks for informing us, any heads up of how the sli profile is coming ? ty
Josh@NVIDIA said:Nothing new to report, seeing the same perf issues on AMD and NVIDIA cards, So while we are still looking into improvements we can offer via drivers, just on the surface level it seems to be more of a game optimization issue.

Thanks for informing us, any heads up of how the sli profile is coming ? ty

Posted 09/05/2013 05:41 PM   
This game engine is an absolute nightmare. Even a reskinned Shogun 2 would run better than this. Thanks for the info Josh
This game engine is an absolute nightmare. Even a reskinned Shogun 2 would run better than this.

Thanks for the info Josh

Posted 09/05/2013 06:24 PM   
boring game
boring game

Posted 09/05/2013 06:38 PM   
Hey Josh, Thank you for helping all of us gamers get the most out of our Nvidia Hardware in any way possible. Thank you "people at Nvidia" for releasing a Experience Profile for Rome 2! Please keep Rome 2 in mind when developing your new beta drivers :) Note: I have seen reports of SLI issues and issues with GPU usage. Thank you!
Hey Josh,
Thank you for helping all of us gamers get the most out of our Nvidia Hardware in any way possible. Thank you "people at Nvidia" for releasing a Experience Profile for Rome 2! Please keep Rome 2 in mind when developing your new beta drivers :)

Note: I have seen reports of SLI issues and issues with GPU usage.

Thank you!

Posted 09/05/2013 08:41 PM   
[quote="Josh@NVIDIA"]Nothing new to report, seeing the same perf issues on AMD and NVIDIA cards, So while we are still looking into improvements we can offer via drivers, just on the surface level it seems to be more of a game optimization issue.[/quote] Just because ATI and Nvidia users both have problems doesn't mean there's nothing Nvidia can do. Just making my own Nvidia Inspector profile and tweaking some things helped performance and visuals a bit, so I'm absolutely positive there's more driver technicians can do. To say otherwise, is a blatant slap in the face to those customers who spent $800-1,000+ on GPUs recently. Prices keep going up and up, service keeps getting worse. I haven't even been able to update drivers passed 314.22 because all of them are complete failures after that for my two 670s. Customers don't put out that kind of money to have to deal with you companies playing He Said/She Said and poor upkeep. Even if you update drivers now for Rome II, I have to be concerned I'm going to have to deal with those damn 320.xx and higher driver crashes that force me to hard reboot my PC when my games freeze, or risk dealing with my monitor losing signal randomly when enabling or disabling SLI. Those problems should not exist. As for Rome II. If any of you guys are rocking two GPUs, you cannot have SLI active while playing this game. It'll hurt your performance. Disable SLI and just go single GPU. You should notice immediate improvements. Never enable Vegetation Alpha. The performance hit is massive, and you can do the same thing using the TrSSAA settings I mention later on. Ambient Occlusions don't appear to work when forced via Drivers, but the SSAO option ingame doesn't use as much performance as other TW games, so it shouldn't be too bad. You can expect at least 10 fps loss though just for that. The visual improvement on that SSAO honestly isn't as important as it was in Shogun 2 or other TW games. It seems to just make shiney armor pieces shine better in this game. It's nowhere near on the level of shading of HBAO or anything like that. The DOF option you would think is best quality on High, but much like Shogun 2, High DOF looks like crap due to a strange fogginess it comes with and doesn't actually resemble what DOF should look like. The Low setting looks like proper DOF and uses way less performance. Most of my right side options are on High, except Unit Size and Detail -- I put those on Ultra. There's almost no difference between Ultra and Extreme Unit detail besides a bigger performance hit. If you go below Ultra Unit Detail, that's when you start to see significant details disappear from your troops' armor along with shine. Oh yeah, and my ground Textures always stay on Ultra. Anything below that looks like a blurry blank texture. My left side options are where I make the biggest compromise. Shadows are the biggest FPS hit in this game besides Vegetation Alpha. I leave mine on Very High as the best compromise, but there's not too much difference visually between High and Very High. They both look crappy from a distance. Ultra shadows resemble more so Shogun 2's shadow quality on max setting, but the performance hit is big. It makes your troop shadows look smooth from a distance and close-up though. Expect 20 fps loss for Ultra setting. Particles on Ultra seem to be a good compromise between quality and performance. Once you go below Ultra, you start to notice heavy particle removal from the fire balls in the benchmark. Other than that, I made a profile for the game via Inspector, and switched the AA Behavior Flag to the Max Payne 3, Battlefield 3 one. Tried forcing 4x MSAA + 4x TrSSAA. I don't think the MSAA is working because my jaggies would have vanished entirely and the performance hit would be bigger I'm sure, but I definitely noticed smoother edges. I think at least trSSAA works that way. I can now run it at 1080p instead of 1440p with fairly smooth edges and still keep 70-ish fps when zoomed out, and 50-ish zoomed in. Before that I had to trash my FPS just to downsample and fight those jaggies. I'm still dipping to 25-30 fps when I zoom in on blobs fighting, but that's to be expected with just 1 GPU, and used to happen in Shogun 2 even with 2 GPUS with my mods and graphic tweaks. So I use those AA settings + ingame AA for now. Ideally you might want to disable in-game AA and just use a SweetFX-Next setup and force either SMAA or FXAA for less or the same performance hit, but way higher quality FXAA (That's the only SweetFX with FXAA that works on DX11 games) SMAA won't really dent the jaggies in this game. Forced Adaptive Vsync (With Vsync disabled ingame) Adaptive Vsync helped a lot over Standard keeping smooth frames and preventing huge dips. It was the opposite case in Shogun 2 for me and in most games. Other than that, leave Vignette off (Because it's worthless and just uses Vram,) and make sure you have that box checked on the lower right to lift the VRAM limit, otherwise the game -will- downgrade your graphics settings the second you get into a demanding situation. It'll just drop your shadows, and a bunch of other stuff to 1 (lowest setting) behind the scenes. If you're noticing that your troops look really shitty in terms of jaggies and strange blurriness during daytime battles, that's because of the "Distortion" option. What used to be an awesome effect that only appeared around fire, explosions, and in the distance for heat haze, now appears all over the damn place, and on your troops in Rome II. It does cost quite a nice chunk of performance too. I leave it on because it actually enhances visual quality of troops at night and doesn't look bad at all. But them day time visuals..bleh. Don't try to force random SLI bits in this game. It doesn't agree with any of them. I've gone through everything from Farcry 3, to Shogun 2, Max Payne 3, any DX11 compatible one I could think of. They all lead to poor performance, and crazy black squares flashing all over the place. Same thing if you try to force SGSSAA. This game might actually require a unique SLI code since it appears to be more so built off of Empire's engine, rather than an extension of Shogun 2's, and Empire was not a DX11 game. Those are my findings after only a day. What's your excuse, Nvidia?
Josh@NVIDIA said:Nothing new to report, seeing the same perf issues on AMD and NVIDIA cards, So while we are still looking into improvements we can offer via drivers, just on the surface level it seems to be more of a game optimization issue.

Just because ATI and Nvidia users both have problems doesn't mean there's nothing Nvidia can do. Just making my own Nvidia Inspector profile and tweaking some things helped performance and visuals a bit, so I'm absolutely positive there's more driver technicians can do. To say otherwise, is a blatant slap in the face to those customers who spent $800-1,000+ on GPUs recently. Prices keep going up and up, service keeps getting worse. I haven't even been able to update drivers passed 314.22 because all of them are complete failures after that for my two 670s. Customers don't put out that kind of money to have to deal with you companies playing He Said/She Said and poor upkeep. Even if you update drivers now for Rome II, I have to be concerned I'm going to have to deal with those damn 320.xx and higher driver crashes that force me to hard reboot my PC when my games freeze, or risk dealing with my monitor losing signal randomly when enabling or disabling SLI. Those problems should not exist.

As for Rome II. If any of you guys are rocking two GPUs, you cannot have SLI active while playing this game. It'll hurt your performance. Disable SLI and just go single GPU. You should notice immediate improvements.

Never enable Vegetation Alpha. The performance hit is massive, and you can do the same thing using the TrSSAA settings I mention later on.

Ambient Occlusions don't appear to work when forced via Drivers, but the SSAO option ingame doesn't use as much performance as other TW games, so it shouldn't be too bad. You can expect at least 10 fps loss though just for that. The visual improvement on that SSAO honestly isn't as important as it was in Shogun 2 or other TW games. It seems to just make shiney armor pieces shine better in this game. It's nowhere near on the level of shading of HBAO or anything like that.

The DOF option you would think is best quality on High, but much like Shogun 2, High DOF looks like crap due to a strange fogginess it comes with and doesn't actually resemble what DOF should look like. The Low setting looks like proper DOF and uses way less performance.

Most of my right side options are on High, except Unit Size and Detail -- I put those on Ultra. There's almost no difference between Ultra and Extreme Unit detail besides a bigger performance hit. If you go below Ultra Unit Detail, that's when you start to see significant details disappear from your troops' armor along with shine. Oh yeah, and my ground Textures always stay on Ultra. Anything below that looks like a blurry blank texture.

My left side options are where I make the biggest compromise. Shadows are the biggest FPS hit in this game besides Vegetation Alpha. I leave mine on Very High as the best compromise, but there's not too much difference visually between High and Very High. They both look crappy from a distance. Ultra shadows resemble more so Shogun 2's shadow quality on max setting, but the performance hit is big. It makes your troop shadows look smooth from a distance and close-up though. Expect 20 fps loss for Ultra setting. Particles on Ultra seem to be a good compromise between quality and performance. Once you go below Ultra, you start to notice heavy particle removal from the fire balls in the benchmark.

Other than that, I made a profile for the game via Inspector, and switched the AA Behavior Flag to the Max Payne 3, Battlefield 3 one. Tried forcing 4x MSAA + 4x TrSSAA. I don't think the MSAA is working because my jaggies would have vanished entirely and the performance hit would be bigger I'm sure, but I definitely noticed smoother edges. I think at least trSSAA works that way. I can now run it at 1080p instead of 1440p with fairly smooth edges and still keep 70-ish fps when zoomed out, and 50-ish zoomed in. Before that I had to trash my FPS just to downsample and fight those jaggies. I'm still dipping to 25-30 fps when I zoom in on blobs fighting, but that's to be expected with just 1 GPU, and used to happen in Shogun 2 even with 2 GPUS with my mods and graphic tweaks. So I use those AA settings + ingame AA for now. Ideally you might want to disable in-game AA and just use a SweetFX-Next setup and force either SMAA or FXAA for less or the same performance hit, but way higher quality FXAA (That's the only SweetFX with FXAA that works on DX11 games) SMAA won't really dent the jaggies in this game.

Forced Adaptive Vsync (With Vsync disabled ingame) Adaptive Vsync helped a lot over Standard keeping smooth frames and preventing huge dips. It was the opposite case in Shogun 2 for me and in most games.

Other than that, leave Vignette off (Because it's worthless and just uses Vram,) and make sure you have that box checked on the lower right to lift the VRAM limit, otherwise the game -will- downgrade your graphics settings the second you get into a demanding situation. It'll just drop your shadows, and a bunch of other stuff to 1 (lowest setting) behind the scenes.

If you're noticing that your troops look really shitty in terms of jaggies and strange blurriness during daytime battles, that's because of the "Distortion" option. What used to be an awesome effect that only appeared around fire, explosions, and in the distance for heat haze, now appears all over the damn place, and on your troops in Rome II. It does cost quite a nice chunk of performance too. I leave it on because it actually enhances visual quality of troops at night and doesn't look bad at all. But them day time visuals..bleh.

Don't try to force random SLI bits in this game. It doesn't agree with any of them. I've gone through everything from Farcry 3, to Shogun 2, Max Payne 3, any DX11 compatible one I could think of. They all lead to poor performance, and crazy black squares flashing all over the place. Same thing if you try to force SGSSAA. This game might actually require a unique SLI code since it appears to be more so built off of Empire's engine, rather than an extension of Shogun 2's, and Empire was not a DX11 game.

Those are my findings after only a day. What's your excuse, Nvidia?

Posted 09/05/2013 10:04 PM   
Don't see any need for hostility, Vinushka, I was giving my impression of the issue as I see it currently. Yes there likely are improvements we can make, and if there are we will be improving on it. Im not going to make statements that we absolutely are since I have no official word that we will be. Im giving to the information as I get it. There are no excuses, just explanations of the issue, And as for right now we are taking the issues as they come and investigating them. Any time there is a lack of a Beta driver for a game or a SLI profile for any high profile game on launch, it is -[b]usually[/b]- due to issues outside of our control, i.e. no access to the game, late changes in the game prior to release, late changes requiring us to redo our fixes, or other game engine/code related issues resulting in us not being able to add SLI support.
Don't see any need for hostility, Vinushka, I was giving my impression of the issue as I see it currently.

Yes there likely are improvements we can make, and if there are we will be improving on it. Im not going to make statements that we absolutely are since I have no official word that we will be. Im giving to the information as I get it.

There are no excuses, just explanations of the issue, And as for right now we are taking the issues as they come and investigating them.

Any time there is a lack of a Beta driver for a game or a SLI profile for any high profile game on launch, it is -usually- due to issues outside of our control,

i.e. no access to the game, late changes in the game prior to release, late changes requiring us to redo our fixes, or other game engine/code related issues resulting in us not being able to add SLI support.

Home::Asus P8Z68 Deluxe::i7 2600k::16g Corsair Vengeance::Samsung 830 120gb SSD(OS)::GTX 690/GTX650Ti Physx :Asus AE247H x3 Surround.
Test rig::P9X79::i7-3820: Gskills 8gb::EVGA GTX 670SC SLI
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread, I sometimes forget to check all of the many ones I reply to.
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of NVIDIA
Email Support:::Beta & Archived Driver Search:::Browser TDR Survey:::Promo Code Tips

Posted 09/05/2013 10:28 PM   
im still looking forward to a fix (driver/patch) from both sides.
im still looking forward to a fix (driver/patch) from both sides.

Posted 09/06/2013 12:36 AM   
Me as well. And quiet a bit of those, who are just lazy to come here and post it themselfs :) Please, Nvidia, make it happen! Cause if it's a game optimization issue, then we are screwed...
Me as well. And quiet a bit of those, who are just lazy to come here and post it themselfs :)
Please, Nvidia, make it happen!
Cause if it's a game optimization issue, then we are screwed...

Posted 09/06/2013 12:57 AM   
Yeah the campaign map actually seems to run worse than the actual battlefield, which is odd, I know Civilization V had a poor performing map as well when it first came out, might be more shoddy programming than an NVIDIA issue. Glad it's getting checked out either way.
Yeah the campaign map actually seems to run worse than the actual battlefield, which is odd, I know Civilization V had a poor performing map as well when it first came out, might be more shoddy programming than an NVIDIA issue. Glad it's getting checked out either way.

MSI XPower II Big Bang X79 Socket 2011
Intel Core i7-3930K stock
Corsair H60 closed-loop
32GB Corsair DDR3 Quad-Channel
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 Windforce
Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD
Creative SoundBlaster Z
Corsair HX-1000W Modular PSU
Cooler Master Storm Trooper E-ATX Case
Dell u2711 2560x1440 LCD Dual-link DVI
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Posted 09/06/2013 01:05 AM   
AMD Beta 13.10 is out with crossfire support for Rome 2 will we be getting a beta driver today for sli support ?
AMD Beta 13.10 is out with crossfire support for Rome 2

will we be getting a beta driver today for sli support ?

Posted 09/06/2013 04:06 AM   
  2 / 15    
Scroll To Top