Please help, Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found
  1 / 6    
I have an issue......1 of many but computer first. My PC Freezes generally after watching Skygo or after closing a game. After the freeze sometimes my mouse icon goes a strange shape and remains that way but still able to click links etc This can happen randomly and sometimes not at all, sometimes the computer has to recover from a display failure but rarely, afterwards in the event viewer I get this message. The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. The following information was included with the event: \Device\Video5 !06d7(2648) I have tried a clean install of a previous driver and get the same fault. I'm running the GeForce GTX 550 Ti Motherboard Gigabyte p41t d3p rev1.5 8Gb Ram etc I've searched online and have seen other people having this error but as yet haven't found a solution. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
I have an issue......1 of many but computer first.

My PC Freezes generally after watching Skygo or after closing a game. After the freeze sometimes my mouse icon goes a strange shape and remains that way but still able to click links etc
This can happen randomly and sometimes not at all, sometimes the computer has to recover from a display failure but rarely, afterwards in the event viewer I get this message.

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video5
!06d7(2648)

I have tried a clean install of a previous driver and get the same fault.

I'm running the GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Motherboard Gigabyte p41t d3p rev1.5
8Gb Ram etc

I've searched online and have seen other people having this error but as yet haven't found a solution. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Posted 09/02/2013 05:15 PM   
I experiance the same problems, just with a different system config, with Asus mainboard, 4GB RAM and Gforce GTX 460 on Win7. My system is UNUSABLE, with this issues, caused by this drivers and I demand a stable fix for this, ASAP. I cannot use my Desktop Computer to work, if it's suddenly freezing all the time. Take this serious.
I experiance the same problems, just with a different system config, with Asus mainboard, 4GB RAM and Gforce GTX 460 on Win7.

My system is UNUSABLE, with this issues, caused by this drivers and I demand a stable fix for this, ASAP.
I cannot use my Desktop Computer to work, if it's suddenly freezing all the time. Take this serious.

Posted 09/16/2013 05:14 PM   
stable fix = downgrade to 314.22 you have stable drivers, you can wait for nvidia to get their current gen working efficiently im sure
stable fix = downgrade to 314.22

you have stable drivers, you can wait for nvidia to get their current gen working efficiently im sure

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

CPU:Intel i7 920 @ 3.8(D0), Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Monitor:BenQ G2400WD
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Posted 09/16/2013 05:31 PM   
Clean install of Windows 7 64 bit, and I installed the latest drivers for all my gear. I was still getting the [b]event id 14 nvlddmkm[/b] freezes and odd cursor behavior. I monitored my GPU with GPU-Z, and the crashes happened mostly while browsing solutions on forums, never while playing games, and nothing was out of the ordinary on GPU-Z. In fact, the temp peaked at 60 Celsius during gameplay, and my fan didn't go above 40% speed. I'm applying the fix [b]Sora[/b] suggested and will follow up to let you know how it goes for me. Fresh Windows 7 Home Edition install (within the last 12 hours): [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131711] Asus P8H67-M Pro/CSM Rev 3.0 [/url] [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072]Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.30GHz[/url] [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130690]GeForce GTX 460 SE[/url] 16GB Split Memory (2x4 Corsair 1600 / 2x4 GSkill 1333) Can't remember exactly which sets, so no url for this one. [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009206]Acer S243HL[/url] [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182173]Rosewill Value 2 PSU[/url] Update: After 14 hours, not a single issue. 314.22 is the way to go for the moment!
Clean install of Windows 7 64 bit, and I installed the latest drivers for all my gear. I was still getting the event id 14 nvlddmkm freezes and odd cursor behavior. I monitored my GPU with GPU-Z, and the crashes happened mostly while browsing solutions on forums, never while playing games, and nothing was out of the ordinary on GPU-Z. In fact, the temp peaked at 60 Celsius during gameplay, and my fan didn't go above 40% speed. I'm applying the fix Sora suggested and will follow up to let you know how it goes for me.

Fresh Windows 7 Home Edition install (within the last 12 hours):

Asus P8H67-M Pro/CSM Rev 3.0
Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.30GHz
GeForce GTX 460 SE
16GB Split Memory (2x4 Corsair 1600 / 2x4 GSkill 1333) Can't remember exactly which sets, so no url for this one.
Acer S243HL
Rosewill Value 2 PSU

Update: After 14 hours, not a single issue. 314.22 is the way to go for the moment!

Posted 09/17/2013 11:42 AM   
Same problem with me, this is definitely drivers problem because there are too many users with the same problem and all of them have nvidia gtx cards. My specs: GTX 550 Ti, ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard, AMD FX-6100, 8GB RAM... I have this problem for last couple months and I didnt find right solution. Help!
Same problem with me, this is definitely drivers problem because there are too many users with the same problem and all of them have nvidia gtx cards.

My specs: GTX 550 Ti, ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard, AMD FX-6100, 8GB RAM...

I have this problem for last couple months and I didnt find right solution.
Help!

Posted 09/22/2013 08:20 PM   
if you don't use nvidia shield go to services and disable nvidia streaming service.
if you don't use nvidia shield go to services and disable nvidia streaming service.

system
AMD fx 8350 cpu
asus crosshair v formula mobo
mushkin 16gb 2133mhz memory
asus directcu ii oc gtx 780
corsair axi 1200 watt psu

Posted 09/22/2013 10:37 PM   
[quote="Hughsie"] After the freeze sometimes my mouse icon goes a strange shape and remains that way but still able to click links etc This can happen randomly and sometimes not at all, sometimes the computer has to recover from a display failure but rarely, afterwards in the event viewer I get this message. The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. [/quote] I had the same exact issues over the past weeks with a GTS 450 on Win7x64. Mouse would freeze or display the pointer in strange colors, screen would go black for a few seconds. I reinstalled the mouse drivers, checked RAM and HD, checked for malware and finally also found this error (see in event viewer): The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found Solution which worked for me: - Reinstall/downgrade to [b]314.22 drivers[/b] (clean install, removed GeForce experience etc.) - Removed option for "Hardware acceleration" in Firefox and Chrome (maybe this is not needed?) The problem appears to be the newer 327.23 WHQL drivers, at least the freezes started after I updated in September. PS: The PhysX version will not be downgraded, so I left that one at the newer PhysX System Software 9.13.0725 Doesn't seem to cause problems so far (but just one day now after dwongrade to 314.22) If someone still experienced issues with the newer PhysX version in combination with 314.22 please let me know. Does this need to be rolled back as well? Thank you! PPS: I lost a few hours today trying to locate the problem. I'm not saying I'm very computer literate but since there is a complete freeze and no logs (not happening when gaming, usually when browsing or on desktop) I assume many people will not find the cause or think their RAM has a problem, not the graphics driver. I was also under the assumption the "WHQL" designated driver versions would be tested more (I never install Betas) ?
Hughsie said: After the freeze sometimes my mouse icon goes a strange shape and remains that way but still able to click links etc
This can happen randomly and sometimes not at all, sometimes the computer has to recover from a display failure but rarely, afterwards in the event viewer I get this message.

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found.

I had the same exact issues over the past weeks with a GTS 450 on Win7x64. Mouse would freeze or display the pointer in strange colors, screen would go black for a few seconds. I reinstalled the mouse drivers, checked RAM and HD, checked for malware and finally also found this error (see in event viewer):

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found

Solution which worked for me:

- Reinstall/downgrade to 314.22 drivers (clean install, removed GeForce experience etc.)
- Removed option for "Hardware acceleration" in Firefox and Chrome (maybe this is not needed?)

The problem appears to be the newer 327.23 WHQL drivers, at least the freezes started after I updated in September.

PS: The PhysX version will not be downgraded, so I left that one at the newer

PhysX System Software 9.13.0725

Doesn't seem to cause problems so far (but just one day now after dwongrade to 314.22)

If someone still experienced issues with the newer PhysX version in combination with 314.22 please let me know. Does this need to be rolled back as well? Thank you!

PPS: I lost a few hours today trying to locate the problem. I'm not saying I'm very computer literate but since there is a complete freeze and no logs (not happening when gaming, usually when browsing or on desktop) I assume many people will not find the cause or think their RAM has a problem, not the graphics driver. I was also under the assumption the "WHQL" designated driver versions would be tested more (I never install Betas) ?

Posted 10/12/2013 11:57 PM   
I have same issue, every time I use Google Chrome or Opera to watch a flash (YouTube, steaming music or other flash video)the whole laptop will crash and I have to force to shut it down. After reboot it will give me the message "Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found", my laptop configuration is GTX 780M SLI, windows 8. I already clean re-install windows 8, and have tried many drivers,311.48-crash, 320.49-crash, 331.40 beta-crash. The weird thing is when I use IE 10 to watch or listen a flash, or I play games such as Battlefield 3, Guildwars 2, everything is fine, no crash no error message.
I have same issue, every time I use Google Chrome or Opera to watch a flash (YouTube, steaming music or other flash video)the whole laptop will crash and I have to force to shut it down. After reboot it will give me the message "Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found", my laptop configuration is GTX 780M SLI, windows 8. I already clean re-install windows 8, and have tried many drivers,311.48-crash, 320.49-crash, 331.40 beta-crash. The weird thing is when I use IE 10 to watch or listen a flash, or I play games such as Battlefield 3, Guildwars 2, everything is fine, no crash no error message.

Posted 10/16/2013 06:14 PM   
Thought I would chime in on this as I am experiencing the same issue. Specs: Cooler Master Elite RC-330 650 watt Corsair Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz 8Gb Patriot PC2-6400 250Gb Western Digital SATA2 x2 LG DVD±RW SATA 2Gb eVGA GTX560 I've been running this system for the past three years without issue. I decided to refresh the whole setup and reinstalled everything, which meant I updated my Geforce drivers to 327.23 and I believe this is the source of the problem as I went through other drivers, updating and replacing but no success. I searched and someone mentioned turning off a Nvidia service (something to do with Shield) and my computer no longer perma-froze nor reported a BSOD but the mouse would still hang and then recover every other minute. That was a step forward. I'm now trying the newest Geforce drivers which are still in beta, if it doesn't correct the issue, I'll try to downgrade the drivers and will report back.
Thought I would chime in on this as I am experiencing the same issue.

Specs:

Cooler Master Elite RC-330
650 watt Corsair
Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
8Gb Patriot PC2-6400
250Gb Western Digital SATA2
x2 LG DVD±RW SATA
2Gb eVGA GTX560

I've been running this system for the past three years without issue.
I decided to refresh the whole setup and reinstalled everything, which meant I updated my Geforce drivers to 327.23 and I believe this is the source of the problem as I went through other drivers, updating and replacing but no success. I searched and someone mentioned turning off a Nvidia service (something to do with Shield) and my computer no longer perma-froze nor reported a BSOD but the mouse would still hang and then recover every other minute.

That was a step forward.

I'm now trying the newest Geforce drivers which are still in beta, if it doesn't correct the issue, I'll try to downgrade the drivers and will report back.

Posted 10/20/2013 09:09 PM   
I am very similar to control101. This system was built in June 2011 and has not had any issues until recently. I had not put it down to the video drivers until now. I have already tried the new beta drivers and everything seemed to be fine for a day but i have just had the Event Id 41 nvlddmkm error again. :( Downgrading to 314.22 after posting this. Not impressed with the waste of time trying to find the problem. [quote="control101"]Thought I would chime in on this as I am experiencing the same issue. Specs: Cooler Master Elite RC-330 650 watt Corsair Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz 8Gb Patriot PC2-6400 250Gb Western Digital SATA2 x2 LG DVD±RW SATA 2Gb eVGA GTX560 I've been running this system for the past three years without issue. I decided to refresh the whole setup and reinstalled everything, which meant I updated my Geforce drivers to 327.23 and I believe this is the source of the problem as I went through other drivers, updating and replacing but no success. I searched and someone mentioned turning off a Nvidia service (something to do with Shield) and my computer no longer perma-froze nor reported a BSOD but the mouse would still hang and then recover every other minute. That was a step forward. I'm now trying the newest Geforce drivers which are still in beta, if it doesn't correct the issue, I'll try to downgrade the drivers and will report back.[/quote]
I am very similar to control101. This system was built in June 2011 and has not had any issues until recently. I had not put it down to the video drivers until now.

I have already tried the new beta drivers and everything seemed to be fine for a day but i have just had the Event Id 41 nvlddmkm error again. :(

Downgrading to 314.22 after posting this. Not impressed with the waste of time trying to find the problem.

control101 said:Thought I would chime in on this as I am experiencing the same issue.

Specs:

Cooler Master Elite RC-330
650 watt Corsair
Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
8Gb Patriot PC2-6400
250Gb Western Digital SATA2
x2 LG DVD±RW SATA
2Gb eVGA GTX560

I've been running this system for the past three years without issue.
I decided to refresh the whole setup and reinstalled everything, which meant I updated my Geforce drivers to 327.23 and I believe this is the source of the problem as I went through other drivers, updating and replacing but no success. I searched and someone mentioned turning off a Nvidia service (something to do with Shield) and my computer no longer perma-froze nor reported a BSOD but the mouse would still hang and then recover every other minute.

That was a step forward.

I'm now trying the newest Geforce drivers which are still in beta, if it doesn't correct the issue, I'll try to downgrade the drivers and will report back.

Posted 10/21/2013 10:43 AM   
[quote="waddpsw"]I am very similar to control101. This system was built in June 2011 and has not had any issues until recently. I had not put it down to the video drivers until now. I have already tried the new beta drivers and everything seemed to be fine for a day but i have just had the Event Id 41 nvlddmkm error again. :( Downgrading to 314.22 after posting this. Not impressed with the waste of time trying to find the problem. [/quote] It did the same to me - All seemed great using the newest beta drivers and then my mouse was acting up again eventually locking up the system forcing me to reset. I never actually see a BSOD, but the system records one along with the nvlddmkm error event. But I'm also looking into why my mouse would intermittently freeze because each time it did, the system recorded a service initiation. Unsure if anything is connected. I've since downgraded to Geforce drivers 314.22 as well and have yet to experience this issue. I wonder if they are developing these primarily for Win8 and maybe something is not agreeing on Win7.
waddpsw said:I am very similar to control101. This system was built in June 2011 and has not had any issues until recently. I had not put it down to the video drivers until now.

I have already tried the new beta drivers and everything seemed to be fine for a day but i have just had the Event Id 41 nvlddmkm error again. :(

Downgrading to 314.22 after posting this. Not impressed with the waste of time trying to find the problem.

It did the same to me - All seemed great using the newest beta drivers and then my mouse was acting up again eventually locking up the system forcing me to reset. I never actually see a BSOD, but the system records one along with the nvlddmkm error event. But I'm also looking into why my mouse would intermittently freeze because each time it did, the system recorded a service initiation. Unsure if anything is connected.

I've since downgraded to Geforce drivers 314.22 as well and have yet to experience this issue. I wonder if they are developing these primarily for Win8 and maybe something is not agreeing on Win7.

Posted 10/21/2013 02:52 PM   
I have windows 8 and it has the same problems with NVidia drivers. 314.22 is the last stable version for those who have those problems.
I have windows 8 and it has the same problems with NVidia drivers. 314.22 is the last stable version for those who have those problems.

Posted 10/21/2013 02:54 PM   
That is what was throwing me the red herring. I originally thought it was my wireless mouse running out of juice. Then the random lockups started. No BSOD as you say but a full power off was required. So far all is working fine on 341.22. Ive tried all the scenarios that caused the locks ups and nothing so far. Either Geoforce/Nvidia are trying to make us upgrade or the just dont test on our model anymore. I think ill go AMD next time, not impressed at all Regards Wad [quote="control101"] It did the same to me - All seemed great using the newest beta drivers and then my mouse was acting up again eventually locking up the system forcing me to reset. I never actually see a BSOD, but the system records one along with the nvlddmkm error event. But I'm also looking into why my mouse would intermittently freeze because each time it did, the system recorded a service initiation. Unsure if anything is connected. I've since downgraded to Geforce drivers 314.22 as well and have yet to experience this issue. I wonder if they are developing these primarily for Win8 and maybe something is not agreeing on Win7.[/quote]
That is what was throwing me the red herring. I originally thought it was my wireless mouse running out of juice. Then the random lockups started. No BSOD as you say but a full power off was required.

So far all is working fine on 341.22. Ive tried all the scenarios that caused the locks ups and nothing so far.

Either Geoforce/Nvidia are trying to make us upgrade or the just dont test on our model anymore.
I think ill go AMD next time, not impressed at all

Regards

Wad

control101 said:
It did the same to me - All seemed great using the newest beta drivers and then my mouse was acting up again eventually locking up the system forcing me to reset. I never actually see a BSOD, but the system records one along with the nvlddmkm error event. But I'm also looking into why my mouse would intermittently freeze because each time it did, the system recorded a service initiation. Unsure if anything is connected.

I've since downgraded to Geforce drivers 314.22 as well and have yet to experience this issue. I wonder if they are developing these primarily for Win8 and maybe something is not agreeing on Win7.

Posted 10/21/2013 05:13 PM   
Same problem, even with the latest driver. Downgrading to 314.22 solves it.
Same problem, even with the latest driver. Downgrading to 314.22 solves it.

Q8200 @3.08Ghz

8GB kingston @880Mhz

Zotac GTX460 2GB (ZT-40406-10P)

Posted 10/23/2013 09:01 AM   
yep. last 3 days no issues. Not sure ill go nvidia geoforce next time if they cant sort things like this out. How much activity do you want on an "official" forum with no response from admins ? Thanks to Sora for letting us know. It is even in your sig ? that is how prevelant it must be ? very fing slack in my opinion
yep. last 3 days no issues. Not sure ill go nvidia geoforce next time if they cant sort things like this out. How much activity do you want on an "official" forum with no response from admins ?

Thanks to Sora for letting us know. It is even in your sig ? that is how prevelant it must be ?

very fing slack in my opinion

Posted 10/24/2013 12:14 PM   
  1 / 6    
Scroll To Top