DOSBox Turbo Setup and Games
  1 / 2    
I recently got my Shield and have been loving it. Played everything I could think about with it! Then I remembered DOSBox Turbo for Android and got excited, then remembered how frustrated I was when trying to set it up with previous Android devices. Since I'll be having the Nvidia Shield for a good long time, I set about setting up as many DOSBox capable games I could find from my GOG account. I've been highly successful! Just need some GOG games that are DOSBox compatible, the Android app DOSBox Turbo, and the Android app DOSBox Turbo Manager. Here is a list of games I have tried and have got up working wonderfully: Duke Nukem 3D One Whole Unit Blood Redneck Rampage Descent 1(Will try Descent 2 later) Tomb Raider 1(For some reason, this one has issues with sound and joypad problems. I can probably fix the sound with some setup/config tweaking, but it doesn't work at the moment. Also, for some reason when I play Tomb Raider the menus go to the right constantly, even when I'm not pressing it. Comes down to the left joystick or possibly the game is too sensitive with it.) Shadow Warrior Blake Stone(Need to keep the frames to 2000-4000 so the game doesn't go incredibly fast.) Dungeon Keeper(Looks and works good, but is near pure mouse driven, so it's tough to play.) I'm playing these games and having loads of fun. A few caveats though with DOSBox Turbo, which hopefully will be fixed in the future. First off, cannot map the two sliders on top, the top 2 buttons(L1 and R1) work perfect, but there is no way to map the L2 and R2 buttons. Caveat number 2, no joystick support. The DPad and the left joystick both do nearly the same thing. Can't take the 2 joysticks and turn them into whatever I want such as left and right Joysticks or additional keyboard buttons. Caveat number 3, lots of trial and error. This is where the majority of people will probably be stopped. You're going to have to work with your games in a bunch of ways. Have to fiddle with DOSBox Turbo settings such as memory size, machine type, resolution, etc. to get games running(Some have trouble with better specced or lower specced machines, some have problems with too much memory, have issues with higher resolution settings, etc.) and then you have to fiddle with the settings of each individual game through their own Setup.exe or Install.exe program which can be time consuming. Then after it's running like a champ, the long process of configuring your controls will wear you down as you search for the controls online or in the game's Setup.exe program to get them to function precisely the way you want them too. The old DOS games are not perfect and neither is DOSBox Turbo. You're going to have to work on getting these games up and running with the right resolutions and getting the best framerates. I can always post my Config files that work splendidly with my Nvidia Shield right now if anybody wants them. Probably best for people to post their best performing, functioning DOSBox configs so that everyone with a Shield can play these DOS games. Ask me to test out games or for DOSBox Turbo config files! I'll do the best I can!
I recently got my Shield and have been loving it. Played everything I could think about with it! Then I remembered DOSBox Turbo for Android and got excited, then remembered how frustrated I was when trying to set it up with previous Android devices. Since I'll be having the Nvidia Shield for a good long time, I set about setting up as many DOSBox capable games I could find from my GOG account.

I've been highly successful! Just need some GOG games that are DOSBox compatible, the Android app DOSBox Turbo, and the Android app DOSBox Turbo Manager.

Here is a list of games I have tried and have got up working wonderfully:
Duke Nukem 3D
One Whole Unit Blood
Redneck Rampage
Descent 1(Will try Descent 2 later)
Tomb Raider 1(For some reason, this one has issues with sound and joypad problems. I can probably fix the sound with some setup/config tweaking, but it doesn't work at the moment. Also, for some reason when I play Tomb Raider the menus go to the right constantly, even when I'm not pressing it. Comes down to the left joystick or possibly the game is too sensitive with it.)
Shadow Warrior
Blake Stone(Need to keep the frames to 2000-4000 so the game doesn't go incredibly fast.)
Dungeon Keeper(Looks and works good, but is near pure mouse driven, so it's tough to play.)

I'm playing these games and having loads of fun. A few caveats though with DOSBox Turbo, which hopefully will be fixed in the future. First off, cannot map the two sliders on top, the top 2 buttons(L1 and R1) work perfect, but there is no way to map the L2 and R2 buttons. Caveat number 2, no joystick support. The DPad and the left joystick both do nearly the same thing. Can't take the 2 joysticks and turn them into whatever I want such as left and right Joysticks or additional keyboard buttons.

Caveat number 3, lots of trial and error. This is where the majority of people will probably be stopped. You're going to have to work with your games in a bunch of ways. Have to fiddle with DOSBox Turbo settings such as memory size, machine type, resolution, etc. to get games running(Some have trouble with better specced or lower specced machines, some have problems with too much memory, have issues with higher resolution settings, etc.) and then you have to fiddle with the settings of each individual game through their own Setup.exe or Install.exe program which can be time consuming. Then after it's running like a champ, the long process of configuring your controls will wear you down as you search for the controls online or in the game's Setup.exe program to get them to function precisely the way you want them too.

The old DOS games are not perfect and neither is DOSBox Turbo. You're going to have to work on getting these games up and running with the right resolutions and getting the best framerates. I can always post my Config files that work splendidly with my Nvidia Shield right now if anybody wants them. Probably best for people to post their best performing, functioning DOSBox configs so that everyone with a Shield can play these DOS games.

Ask me to test out games or for DOSBox Turbo config files! I'll do the best I can!

Posted 08/12/2013 12:37 AM   
When I get up the gumption, I'm going to rip my copy of Whiplash (aka Fatal Racing) and try playing it on my shield via DosBox Turbo.
When I get up the gumption, I'm going to rip my copy of Whiplash (aka Fatal Racing) and try playing it on my shield via DosBox Turbo.

AMD FX-8150 @ 4.2 GHz | Asus Sabertooth 990FX | Noctua NH-D14 | 2x4GB + 2x2GB Patriot Viper Xtreme DDR3 1866 | MSI Geforce GTX 670 | AZZA Hurrican 2000R | PC Power & Cooling 750W | 2x120GB Intel X25-M RAID0 | 2x600GB WD VelociRaptor 10K RAID0 | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 | 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP 5900 | Windows 7 Professional x64 | Onkyo TX-SR805 | Panasonic TH-42PZ80U

Posted 08/12/2013 01:47 AM   
I wonder if the old IPX online games would work via Kali on dosbox.If that still exists. Remember playing EF2000 a while back via IPX/TCP tunneling. I would doubt they went to the extent to port the ipx stack or the tcp stack for that matter but maybe?
I wonder if the old IPX online games would work via Kali on dosbox.If that still exists.
Remember playing EF2000 a while back via IPX/TCP tunneling.

I would doubt they went to the extent to port the ipx stack or the tcp stack for that matter but maybe?

Posted 08/12/2013 02:14 AM   
On PC Dosbox, IPX network is supported from what I read.
On PC Dosbox, IPX network is supported from what I read.

AMD FX-8150 @ 4.2 GHz | Asus Sabertooth 990FX | Noctua NH-D14 | 2x4GB + 2x2GB Patriot Viper Xtreme DDR3 1866 | MSI Geforce GTX 670 | AZZA Hurrican 2000R | PC Power & Cooling 750W | 2x120GB Intel X25-M RAID0 | 2x600GB WD VelociRaptor 10K RAID0 | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 | 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP 5900 | Windows 7 Professional x64 | Onkyo TX-SR805 | Panasonic TH-42PZ80U

Posted 08/12/2013 02:37 AM   
Fantastic News!! DosBox Turbo is the fastest and best emulator for Android and now its working on the Shield (which I will have soon). By the way, DosBox Turbo also supports IPX networking natively. I was playing multi-player Warcraft II with a couple of buddies on our Androids.. Highly Recommended!
Fantastic News!! DosBox Turbo is the fastest and best emulator for Android and now its working on the Shield (which I will have soon). By the way, DosBox Turbo also supports IPX networking natively. I was playing multi-player Warcraft II with a couple of buddies on our Androids.. Highly Recommended!

Posted 08/12/2013 03:22 PM   
Noticed there was a new release of DosBox Turbo that adds 3dfx (Voodoo 1) glide support! That means that not only 3dfx games are now playable, but also many DirectX/Direct3D games in Windows are now playable!
Noticed there was a new release of DosBox Turbo that adds 3dfx (Voodoo 1) glide support! That means that not only 3dfx games are now playable, but also many DirectX/Direct3D games in Windows are now playable!

Posted 08/12/2013 03:24 PM   
What graphic settings did you use to get Redneck Rampage to run full speed? I'm getting a slide show. So far I have Duke Nukem running perfectly. Thanks!
What graphic settings did you use to get Redneck Rampage to run full speed? I'm getting a slide show.
So far I have Duke Nukem running perfectly. Thanks!

Posted 08/12/2013 07:22 PM   
[quote="raoh234"]What graphic settings did you use to get Redneck Rampage to run full speed? I'm getting a slide show. So far I have Duke Nukem running perfectly. Thanks![/quote] Actually you have to edit the Config file as there are a couple of other machines not shown in the normal DOSBox Turbo. One of them is the "SVGA_ET4000" and allows for a bit more oomph to give to a game. No more slide shows from a number of games by using it actually. Pretty handy and a lot of games that might have trouble with frames can sometimes be helped by choosing SVGA_ET4000. Give it a go.
raoh234 said:What graphic settings did you use to get Redneck Rampage to run full speed? I'm getting a slide show.
So far I have Duke Nukem running perfectly. Thanks!

Actually you have to edit the Config file as there are a couple of other machines not shown in the normal DOSBox Turbo. One of them is the "SVGA_ET4000" and allows for a bit more oomph to give to a game. No more slide shows from a number of games by using it actually. Pretty handy and a lot of games that might have trouble with frames can sometimes be helped by choosing SVGA_ET4000. Give it a go.

Posted 08/12/2013 09:17 PM   
Am I supposed to download and manually add the "machine" SVGA_ET4000 to dosbox turbo or is simply going into the redneck rampage conf file and entering "machine=svga_et4000" enough? thanks!
Am I supposed to download and manually add the "machine" SVGA_ET4000 to dosbox turbo or is simply going into the redneck rampage conf file and entering "machine=svga_et4000" enough?
thanks!

Posted 08/13/2013 12:17 AM   
To clarify, you said there are machines that aren't shown in Dosbox. Will editing the dosbox.conf file and replacing "machine=svga_s3" with "machine=svga_et4000" automatically enable that machine even though there isn't an indication of it working until the game has booted up? Or do I need to get another file online that emulates svga_et4000? Thanks again.
To clarify, you said there are machines that aren't shown in Dosbox. Will editing the dosbox.conf file and replacing "machine=svga_s3" with "machine=svga_et4000" automatically enable that machine even though there isn't an indication of it working until the game has booted up? Or do I need to get another file online that emulates svga_et4000?

Thanks again.

Posted 08/13/2013 12:28 AM   
Actually after reading about the SVGA_ET4000 and the like I learned from the main DOSBoxWiki that it's actually a lesser machine than the SVGA_S3. This is my mistake. I'm going back to my DOSBox Turbo Manager and config files to change them. I recommend not changing them now as I was under the assumption that these were better machines. They are not. Switch them back to SVGA_S3. Sorry about this. I'm still testing for the best DOSBox config files and DOS game config files.
Actually after reading about the SVGA_ET4000 and the like I learned from the main DOSBoxWiki that it's actually a lesser machine than the SVGA_S3. This is my mistake. I'm going back to my DOSBox Turbo Manager and config files to change them. I recommend not changing them now as I was under the assumption that these were better machines. They are not. Switch them back to SVGA_S3. Sorry about this.

I'm still testing for the best DOSBox config files and DOS game config files.

Posted 08/13/2013 02:04 AM   
Just finished installing MEGARACE on my shield. It took a bit of configuration and headache, but man the end results are explosive.
Just finished installing MEGARACE on my shield. It took a bit of configuration and headache, but man the end results are explosive.

Posted 08/13/2013 02:06 AM   
So far, i've had success installing the following and setting them up on the Shield: Alone in the Dark Alone in the Dark 2 Crusader No Remorse Dark Forces Day of the Tentacle Descent Epic Pinball (No sound on the tables) Fallout (Dos, sound static problems) Little Big Adventure Master Of Magic Sam & Max Hit The Road Wing Commander Anyone have any others they recommend that would work well on the Sheild? Seems like it is best suited to either arcade type games with limited controls, or point and click adventure games. I also had similar problems. L2 and R2 are unmappable, as is the right analog stick. The left stick works as it is the same mappings as the DPAD in most games. I also ran into an issue where in 'Alone in the Dark', running is extremely difficult because you have to double-tap and hold up to run, and the controls do not like to register this action. Some games also have some slowdown/freezing, but for the most part, the emulation is fantastic for anything DOS. Mouse driven games can be a bit more difficult, but there are options in the button mapping area, to redirect the DPAD output to control mouse or joystick in game. Seems to work for most things. I don't like to use the touch screen to control the mouse, as it is not optimal or comfortable. Loving the shield so far. It's a very powerful gaming device. I also recommend DOOMGLES as a better port than using DosBox for doom/doom2 (enhanced graphics, both analog sticks work perfectly, super fun!)
So far, i've had success installing the following and setting them up on the Shield:

Alone in the Dark
Alone in the Dark 2
Crusader No Remorse
Dark Forces
Day of the Tentacle
Descent
Epic Pinball (No sound on the tables)
Fallout (Dos, sound static problems)
Little Big Adventure
Master Of Magic
Sam & Max Hit The Road
Wing Commander

Anyone have any others they recommend that would work well on the Sheild? Seems like it is best suited to either arcade type games with limited controls, or point and click adventure games.

I also had similar problems.

L2 and R2 are unmappable, as is the right analog stick. The left stick works as it is the same mappings as the DPAD in most games. I also ran into an issue where in 'Alone in the Dark', running is extremely difficult because you have to double-tap and hold up to run, and the controls do not like to register this action.

Some games also have some slowdown/freezing, but for the most part, the emulation is fantastic for anything DOS. Mouse driven games can be a bit more difficult, but there are options in the button mapping area, to redirect the DPAD output to control mouse or joystick in game. Seems to work for most things. I don't like to use the touch screen to control the mouse, as it is not optimal or comfortable.

Loving the shield so far. It's a very powerful gaming device. I also recommend DOOMGLES as a better port than using DosBox for doom/doom2 (enhanced graphics, both analog sticks work perfectly, super fun!)

Posted 10/24/2013 03:51 AM   
Master of magic works pretty well. I configured some buttons to different buttons on the shield to get around the menus more quickly. Only issues I've had is the mouse mapping doesn't work very well if you hold the right analog stick in one direction for like a second the mouse stops
Master of magic works pretty well. I configured some buttons to different buttons on the shield to get around the menus more quickly. Only issues I've had is the mouse mapping doesn't work very well if you hold the right analog stick in one direction for like a second the mouse stops

Posted 10/24/2013 03:02 PM   
Alright, I've been messing around with the latest version of DOSBox Turbo and I've come up with a pretty easy way to change controls almost effortlessly. Heres an easy way to make sure your controls are simple and easy to understand, requires DOSBox Manager: Simply go and Edit your DOSBox Manager config Go to Button/Controller Maps Now configure each button in DOSBox Manager as the letter of the button So the buttons on the Shield(BAXY) would correspond with the buttons on the keyboard(The top L1 and R1 buttons would be L and R keys, while BAXY would be B, A, X, and Y keys. Oh yeah, you can also map the Left and Right Thumbstick buttons, which I decided to set as M and N.) The Back button should be Escape and the Start button should be Enter. Then start a game's Setup.exe or equivalent type program or in-game Options menu and configure the controls to your liking. All you have to do is press Start and then press the button on the Nvidia Shield that you want to be that button. (For example, press Start(Enter button on the keyboard) for the command Jump and then press any button on the Nvidia Shield and there you go, it's now mapped to that button. So if you want Jump to be B, just press the Nvidia Shield Start button and press the B button on the Shield and it'll be all set) Now you can Copy this Config in DOSBox Manager and create a number of easy to configure Configs, where you can just go into the game's Setup.exe and configure the controls easily to your liking. I realized by doing this, this completely removes the complicated button configuration mess that is the Nvidia Shield to DOSBox Turbo. After I got used to setting up my controller like this with a couple of games, this became second nature and games were no longer a chore to set up. Just go into the Setup and set them however you want, such as A is Fire and B is Jump and L(L1) is Strafe and R(R1) is Crouch. Also make sure to delete any button in the Setup.exe or the like that is already mapped to an already setup keyboard key.
Alright, I've been messing around with the latest version of DOSBox Turbo and I've come up with a pretty easy way to change controls almost effortlessly. Heres an easy way to make sure your controls are simple and easy to understand, requires DOSBox Manager:

Simply go and Edit your DOSBox Manager config
Go to Button/Controller Maps
Now configure each button in DOSBox Manager as the letter of the button
So the buttons on the Shield(BAXY) would correspond with the buttons on the keyboard(The top L1 and R1 buttons would be L and R keys, while BAXY would be B, A, X, and Y keys. Oh yeah, you can also map the Left and Right Thumbstick buttons, which I decided to set as M and N.)
The Back button should be Escape and the Start button should be Enter.
Then start a game's Setup.exe or equivalent type program or in-game Options menu and configure the controls to your liking.
All you have to do is press Start and then press the button on the Nvidia Shield that you want to be that button. (For example, press Start(Enter button on the keyboard) for the command Jump and then press any button on the Nvidia Shield and there you go, it's now mapped to that button. So if you want Jump to be B, just press the Nvidia Shield Start button and press the B button on the Shield and it'll be all set)
Now you can Copy this Config in DOSBox Manager and create a number of easy to configure Configs, where you can just go into the game's Setup.exe and configure the controls easily to your liking.

I realized by doing this, this completely removes the complicated button configuration mess that is the Nvidia Shield to DOSBox Turbo. After I got used to setting up my controller like this with a couple of games, this became second nature and games were no longer a chore to set up. Just go into the Setup and set them however you want, such as A is Fire and B is Jump and L(L1) is Strafe and R(R1) is Crouch. Also make sure to delete any button in the Setup.exe or the like that is already mapped to an already setup keyboard key.

Posted 01/11/2014 07:41 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top