[HOW TO] Connect your Shield to VPN for Remote Gaming
  1 / 2    
Hello all, This has been a much requested feature, and mrl4214 over at XDA has figured out how to establish a VPN connection between the Shield and your gaming PC. This means that even when you're on a different network, your Shield can still tunnel back home and join your Local Network with your PC. In short, it allows you to play your PC games on the go. So all credit for this goes to mrl4214. Instructions: 1. Open Network & Sharing Center (you can right click the network icon in the bottom right corner of your screen and then choose to open Network & Sharing Center). 2. On the left side of the Window, Click "Change Adapter Settings". 3. On the Adapter Settings Window, press the "ALT" key on your keyboard, and then click on "File". Choose "New Incoming Connection". 4. The next screen will allow you to select or create a user for your VPN Connection. Check the boxes of each user that you would like to allow to connect to your VPN network (this will be your UN/PW for connecting from the Shield). I personally created a new user and then created a password for the new user. If you're not sure about the password for an account, you can select a user and then click the "Account Properties" button. On the next window, you can create a new user password. 5. The next window will ask you how people will connect. You want to make sure that the "Through the Internet" Checkbox is checked. Now you can continue. 6. The next screen will ask you to select the "Networking Software". You'll see a list of items with Checkboxes next to them. Check all four boxes and then click "Allow Access". 7. You'll be presented with a screen that shows you your computer's name. Your Computer Setup is done! 8. Now we need to setup the VPN on the Shield. Start by going to Settings > More (under Network) > VPN 9. In the top right corner of the Shield VPN Screen, there will be a + button. Press this to create a new VPN connection. 10. Now you'll have the opportunity to Edit the VPN Profile. Here is a quick rundown of what you'll do: Name: (anything you want, this is just a description) Type: PPTP Server Address: (Your Public IP Address, you can find this by googling "what's my IP" ex: 98.52.133.2) PPP Encryption (MPPE): Checked Show Advanced Options: Unchecked Now click "Save" 11. Ok, now this will probably be the trickiest part for most people. The next step involves adjusting some settings in your router. First of all, you need to give your gaming PC a static IP Address. This means that you are going to create an address rather than allowing your router to automatically assign one to you. The steps for creating a Static IP are essentially finding out what the DHCP Range is for your router (the list of IP numbers that can be automatically assigned to your devices). You want to give your computer a number that it outside of the DHCP Range. For example, if your DHCP range is 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.149 then you'll want to assign your computer 192.168.1.150 because it's outside of the range of your router. You can find more details instructions for setting up a Static IP by doing a quick Google. You can find some good details about setting up a Static IP at [url]http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/[/url]. These instructions cover Windows XP through Windows 7. And Windows 8 is essentially the same as Windows 7. Now that you've got your Static IP setup, you'll also need to setup something called Port Forwarding on your router. Essentially you're telling your router to allow your Shield to connect through your router's firewall on a specific port number so that it can get back to your gaming PC. You will be forwarding Port# TCP 1723 to the Static IP Address that you created in the last step. Save this setting on the router and then update it (usually this restarts your router). I realize that this last part that I described may seem vague or complicated. These settings will vary based on your specific router. You can probably find detailed Port Forwarding instructions for your router at [url]http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/[/url]. If this seems too complicated for you, then I'd encourage you to skip setting up this system for your Shield. It's not worth messing up your router to do so. 11. Now you'll see your VPN listed in the VPN window on your Shield. Tap on the name that you gave your VPN. It will prompt you to sign in with the UN/PW that you setup in step 4. If all of your settings are correct, then you'll be connected! [b]Advanced (optional):[/b] There are two types of Public IP Addresses that you may be given by your internet company. The most common type is called a "Dynamic" IP Address. This means that this number may change every few months. If your Public IP Address does change, then it will stop your VPN connection (remember that we inputted your Public IP Address into your Shield settings in step 10). If this does happen, you can just google "Find my IP" and then update your VPN settings on the Shield with the new IP Address. The other way is that you can setup something called Dynamic DNS. Dynamic DNS is a service that assigns a web address to your Public IP Address. An example would be myvpn.freeDNS.com. The benefit of setting up Dynamic DNS is that they can detect when your IP Address changes, and then automatically update your custom domain without you having to do anything on your side. There are many services that provide Dynamic DNS. Some charge a fee for it, and some are free. So just Google around if you're interested in doing this. If you do setup a Dynamic DNS, it will be inputted into your Shield Settings in the "Server Address" field. If you have a Static IP Address from your internet provider, then you don't have to worry about all of this stuff. Your address won't change. [b]Additional Considerations:[/b] Your performance experience with streaming remotely may not be the greatest. You will need a minimum of a 2 Mbps upload speed to even consider trying this (more is better). You can find out exactly what your speed is by visiting [url]http://www.Speedtest.net[/url] on your computer. Another aspect that affects your remote streaming experience is your Ping, or distance from your home (your home is your server). The farther away you get, the more latency you'll experience. So keep these things in mind when you setup your VPN.
Hello all,

This has been a much requested feature, and mrl4214 over at XDA has figured out how to establish a VPN connection between the Shield and your gaming PC. This means that even when you're on a different network, your Shield can still tunnel back home and join your Local Network with your PC. In short, it allows you to play your PC games on the go. So all credit for this goes to mrl4214.

Instructions:

1. Open Network & Sharing Center (you can right click the network icon in the bottom right corner of your screen and then choose to open Network & Sharing Center).

2. On the left side of the Window, Click "Change Adapter Settings".

3. On the Adapter Settings Window, press the "ALT" key on your keyboard, and then click on "File". Choose "New Incoming Connection".

4. The next screen will allow you to select or create a user for your VPN Connection. Check the boxes of each user that you would like to allow to connect to your VPN network (this will be your UN/PW for connecting from the Shield). I personally created a new user and then created a password for the new user. If you're not sure about the password for an account, you can select a user and then click the "Account Properties" button. On the next window, you can create a new user password.

5. The next window will ask you how people will connect. You want to make sure that the "Through the Internet" Checkbox is checked. Now you can continue.

6. The next screen will ask you to select the "Networking Software". You'll see a list of items with Checkboxes next to them. Check all four boxes and then click "Allow Access".

7. You'll be presented with a screen that shows you your computer's name. Your Computer Setup is done!

8. Now we need to setup the VPN on the Shield. Start by going to Settings > More (under Network) > VPN

9. In the top right corner of the Shield VPN Screen, there will be a + button. Press this to create a new VPN connection.

10. Now you'll have the opportunity to Edit the VPN Profile. Here is a quick rundown of what you'll do:

Name: (anything you want, this is just a description)
Type: PPTP
Server Address: (Your Public IP Address, you can find this by googling "what's my IP" ex: 98.52.133.2)
PPP Encryption (MPPE): Checked
Show Advanced Options: Unchecked

Now click "Save"

11. Ok, now this will probably be the trickiest part for most people. The next step involves adjusting some settings in your router. First of all, you need to give your gaming PC a static IP Address. This means that you are going to create an address rather than allowing your router to automatically assign one to you. The steps for creating a Static IP are essentially finding out what the DHCP Range is for your router (the list of IP numbers that can be automatically assigned to your devices). You want to give your computer a number that it outside of the DHCP Range. For example, if your DHCP range is 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.149 then you'll want to assign your computer 192.168.1.150 because it's outside of the range of your router. You can find more details instructions for setting up a Static IP by doing a quick Google. You can find some good details about setting up a Static IP at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/. These instructions cover Windows XP through Windows 7. And Windows 8 is essentially the same as Windows 7.

Now that you've got your Static IP setup, you'll also need to setup something called Port Forwarding on your router. Essentially you're telling your router to allow your Shield to connect through your router's firewall on a specific port number so that it can get back to your gaming PC. You will be forwarding Port# TCP 1723 to the Static IP Address that you created in the last step. Save this setting on the router and then update it (usually this restarts your router).

I realize that this last part that I described may seem vague or complicated. These settings will vary based on your specific router. You can probably find detailed Port Forwarding instructions for your router at http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/. If this seems too complicated for you, then I'd encourage you to skip setting up this system for your Shield. It's not worth messing up your router to do so.

11. Now you'll see your VPN listed in the VPN window on your Shield. Tap on the name that you gave your VPN. It will prompt you to sign in with the UN/PW that you setup in step 4. If all of your settings are correct, then you'll be connected!

Advanced (optional):

There are two types of Public IP Addresses that you may be given by your internet company. The most common type is called a "Dynamic" IP Address. This means that this number may change every few months. If your Public IP Address does change, then it will stop your VPN connection (remember that we inputted your Public IP Address into your Shield settings in step 10). If this does happen, you can just google "Find my IP" and then update your VPN settings on the Shield with the new IP Address. The other way is that you can setup something called Dynamic DNS. Dynamic DNS is a service that assigns a web address to your Public IP Address. An example would be myvpn.freeDNS.com. The benefit of setting up Dynamic DNS is that they can detect when your IP Address changes, and then automatically update your custom domain without you having to do anything on your side. There are many services that provide Dynamic DNS. Some charge a fee for it, and some are free. So just Google around if you're interested in doing this. If you do setup a Dynamic DNS, it will be inputted into your Shield Settings in the "Server Address" field.

If you have a Static IP Address from your internet provider, then you don't have to worry about all of this stuff. Your address won't change.

Additional Considerations:

Your performance experience with streaming remotely may not be the greatest. You will need a minimum of a 2 Mbps upload speed to even consider trying this (more is better). You can find out exactly what your speed is by visiting http://www.Speedtest.net on your computer. Another aspect that affects your remote streaming experience is your Ping, or distance from your home (your home is your server). The farther away you get, the more latency you'll experience. So keep these things in mind when you setup your VPN.

Comcast Cable 120/25 Mbps | Windows 8.1 Pro
Logitech G19 Keyboard | Steel Series WOW Mouse
Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R Case

Posted 08/07/2013 06:36 PM   
Why exactly does the static ip need to be outside of the dhcp range? Wouldn't it work either way as long as it is static? Did you try this? Something tells me even really good connections would perform badly. I have an upload of 200mb in my house, i doubt that is enough considering they like you to use the 5ghz spectrum in your home lan. Thanks for the tip
Why exactly does the static ip need to be outside of the dhcp range? Wouldn't it work either way as long as it is static?

Did you try this? Something tells me even really good connections would perform badly.

I have an upload of 200mb in my house, i doubt that is enough considering they like you to use the 5ghz spectrum in your home lan.

Thanks for the tip

Posted 08/07/2013 07:16 PM   
You can't setup your Static IP within your router's DCHP Range, it can create a conflict because your router has those addresses reserved for itself to hand out. You have to setup the Static IP because every time your computer connects to your router, it can receive a different IP Address through a process called DHCP. If you receive one that is different than what you had originally when you inputted your Port Forwarding Settings, then your VPN will not connect. I have tried this at my house. I have an upload speed of 5 Mbps and I tested this using a Verizon LTE hotspot. It was very smooth for me.
You can't setup your Static IP within your router's DCHP Range, it can create a conflict because your router has those addresses reserved for itself to hand out.

You have to setup the Static IP because every time your computer connects to your router, it can receive a different IP Address through a process called DHCP. If you receive one that is different than what you had originally when you inputted your Port Forwarding Settings, then your VPN will not connect.

I have tried this at my house. I have an upload speed of 5 Mbps and I tested this using a Verizon LTE hotspot. It was very smooth for me.

Posted 08/07/2013 07:33 PM   
Nice! Will try this over the weekend.
Nice! Will try this over the weekend.

Posted 08/07/2013 08:11 PM   
[quote="Kenine"]You can't setup your Static IP within your router's DCHP Range, it can create a conflict because your router has those addresses reserved for itself to hand out.[/quote] While this is true, assigning a static IP on the host OS is poor practice. It would be better to assign it from the router directly to ensure WINS/DNS works correctly across the LAN, and because assigning the static IP on the router will automatically remove that address from the available DHCP pool.
Kenine said:You can't setup your Static IP within your router's DCHP Range, it can create a conflict because your router has those addresses reserved for itself to hand out.

While this is true, assigning a static IP on the host OS is poor practice.

It would be better to assign it from the router directly to ensure WINS/DNS works correctly across the LAN, and because assigning the static IP on the router will automatically remove that address from the available DHCP pool.

Posted 08/07/2013 10:14 PM   
You're right, both ways can achieve this result. I chose the OS method for my tutorial because most people are not super knowledgeable or comfortable with the settings on their router. And because each router is different, it's impossible to provide exact instructions for how to do it with everyone's setup. The OS method will work just fine for setting up this VPN.
You're right, both ways can achieve this result. I chose the OS method for my tutorial because most people are not super knowledgeable or comfortable with the settings on their router. And because each router is different, it's impossible to provide exact instructions for how to do it with everyone's setup. The OS method will work just fine for setting up this VPN.

Posted 08/07/2013 10:56 PM   
Somebody please let me know if this is playable in multiplayer games like MMOS I would really benefit from being able to play ffxiv remotely but want to know if it will be playable before I purchase the shield.
Somebody please let me know if this is playable in multiplayer games like MMOS I would really benefit from being able to play ffxiv remotely but want to know if it will be playable before I purchase the shield.

Posted 08/08/2013 12:59 AM   
Don't buy the Shield with the intention of setting up VPN. This is great if it works, but there are a lot of factors that impact whether it will be smooth for you (things like the condition of your computer, your upload speed, your distance from home, your download speed on the other network, etc). This not even officially supported through Nvidia. If this is a deal-breaker feature, then you should probably consider other options for playing your MMO's remotely.
Don't buy the Shield with the intention of setting up VPN. This is great if it works, but there are a lot of factors that impact whether it will be smooth for you (things like the condition of your computer, your upload speed, your distance from home, your download speed on the other network, etc). This not even officially supported through Nvidia. If this is a deal-breaker feature, then you should probably consider other options for playing your MMO's remotely.

Posted 08/08/2013 02:22 AM   
[quote="Kenine"]Don't buy the Shield with the intention of setting up VPN. This is great if it works, but there are a lot of factors that impact whether it will be smooth for you (things like the condition of your computer, your upload speed, your distance from home, your download speed on the other network, etc). This not even officially supported through Nvidia. If this is a deal-breaker feature, then you should probably consider other options for playing your MMO's remotely.[/quote] mrl4214 here. I would have to agree with this. It is very good [i]when it works[/i]. But it does not work at all if it doesn't. But on a stable internet connection with no firewall blocking (I haven't gotten it to work in my office building for instance) I have played TF2 spy pretty well for a controller 20 miles from my house.
Kenine said:Don't buy the Shield with the intention of setting up VPN. This is great if it works, but there are a lot of factors that impact whether it will be smooth for you (things like the condition of your computer, your upload speed, your distance from home, your download speed on the other network, etc). This not even officially supported through Nvidia. If this is a deal-breaker feature, then you should probably consider other options for playing your MMO's remotely.

mrl4214 here.

I would have to agree with this. It is very good when it works. But it does not work at all if it doesn't. But on a stable internet connection with no firewall blocking (I haven't gotten it to work in my office building for instance) I have played TF2 spy pretty well for a controller 20 miles from my house.

Posted 08/08/2013 06:10 AM   
It's better to do it both ways. At least that's what i do. Set the static ip directly in the os network adapter and also go into the router and reserve that ip for your computer only. Doesn't have to be one or the other. In fact I've had issues when only doing it via the router sometimes. Of course it depends on the router. I'm surprised you say you get good performance with those speeds. What game were you playing?
It's better to do it both ways. At least that's what i do. Set the static ip directly in the os network adapter and also go into the router and reserve that ip for your computer only. Doesn't have to be one or the other. In fact I've had issues when only doing it via the router sometimes. Of course it depends on the router.

I'm surprised you say you get good performance with those speeds. What game were you playing?

Posted 08/08/2013 06:14 AM   
I personally tried Halo 2 (I know, old) and a little Earth Defense Force. I'm still trying to find my go-to game for the Shield. A lot of the ones that I really want to play (aka Battlefield) don't have controller support. So I have to wait until Nvidia updates so that we can map our buttons properly. And 5 Mbps upload is enough to stream decent 1080p (not that the Shield uses 1080p). The main issue with using the VPN setup is going to be Latency caused by ping. Luckily for me, I rarely travel and the farthest that I will normally be from my network is around 50 miles. So it should be good enough for me. And things should only get better as Nvidia improves compression and other things. Keep in mind that the amount of bandwidth that you need is based on the data stream that you will be uploading out of your network. Nvidia has found a very tight ratio between compression and quality and their data stream is much smaller than comparable video would normally be. This is why a 2+ Mbps upload connection is enough to try this out.
I personally tried Halo 2 (I know, old) and a little Earth Defense Force. I'm still trying to find my go-to game for the Shield. A lot of the ones that I really want to play (aka Battlefield) don't have controller support. So I have to wait until Nvidia updates so that we can map our buttons properly.

And 5 Mbps upload is enough to stream decent 1080p (not that the Shield uses 1080p). The main issue with using the VPN setup is going to be Latency caused by ping. Luckily for me, I rarely travel and the farthest that I will normally be from my network is around 50 miles. So it should be good enough for me. And things should only get better as Nvidia improves compression and other things. Keep in mind that the amount of bandwidth that you need is based on the data stream that you will be uploading out of your network. Nvidia has found a very tight ratio between compression and quality and their data stream is much smaller than comparable video would normally be. This is why a 2+ Mbps upload connection is enough to try this out.

Posted 08/08/2013 06:53 AM   
I think I'll wait; I wanted something for remote gaming. I've already got a VPN connection setup with 30-40megs download and 15-20 upload on both ends. I don't know if the shield will accept ethernet if not wireless should get me at least 15 download and 5-10 upload. However, I was really looking at some remote desktop options and splashtop from pc to pc might work for ffxiv I'll have to wait and see; I tried Neverwinter and the mouse configuration just didn't work well.
I think I'll wait; I wanted something for remote gaming. I've already got a VPN connection setup with 30-40megs download and 15-20 upload on both ends. I don't know if the shield will accept ethernet if not wireless should get me at least 15 download and 5-10 upload. However, I was really looking at some remote desktop options and splashtop from pc to pc might work for ffxiv I'll have to wait and see; I tried Neverwinter and the mouse configuration just didn't work well.

Posted 08/08/2013 07:00 AM   
For MMO's, some of the new Windows 8 Tablets look very promising. You can already run things like WOW on some of them, and there is a company called Overwolf that is coming out with a special touchscreen overlay just for playing MMO's on tablets. It looks very very promising. The Shield is really designed more for things that have natural controller support. I'm a huge MMO fan (I own pretty much all of them), and I've accepted that the Shield probably isn't the greatest device for them. Something like the Razer Edge Pro with an MMO-centric gamepad would be the best possible mobile MMO device.
For MMO's, some of the new Windows 8 Tablets look very promising. You can already run things like WOW on some of them, and there is a company called Overwolf that is coming out with a special touchscreen overlay just for playing MMO's on tablets. It looks very very promising. The Shield is really designed more for things that have natural controller support. I'm a huge MMO fan (I own pretty much all of them), and I've accepted that the Shield probably isn't the greatest device for them.

Something like the Razer Edge Pro with an MMO-centric gamepad would be the best possible mobile MMO device.

Posted 08/08/2013 08:29 AM   
Thanks for the info... If anyone could do a Youtube tutorial. That would be great.
Thanks for the info... If anyone could do a Youtube tutorial. That would be great.

Posted 08/08/2013 08:23 PM   
Hey guys, I have been trying to get streaming to work over the VPN; so far no luck. I do not think internet connection is the issue as I have: HOME: 15 mbs DL/ 5 mbs UL EXTERNAL CONNECTION: 30 mbs DL/ 15 mbs UL When I go to stream it successfully connects to my computer, and I am able to view my steam games as well as big picture. However, if I try to stream I get prompted with the error: "Error cannot launch steam". Could this be a firewall issue? Anyone else have this issue?
Hey guys, I have been trying to get streaming to work over the VPN; so far no luck.

I do not think internet connection is the issue as I have:

HOME: 15 mbs DL/ 5 mbs UL
EXTERNAL CONNECTION: 30 mbs DL/ 15 mbs UL

When I go to stream it successfully connects to my computer, and I am able to view my steam games as well as big picture. However, if I try to stream I get prompted with the error: "Error cannot launch steam". Could this be a firewall issue? Anyone else have this issue?

Intel i7-2600K OC 4.5 GHZ CPU | EVGA Titan X SC GPU | Corsair RM 1000 GOLD PSU
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM | ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 MOBO |
ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q Monitor | Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case

Posted 08/30/2013 05:04 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top