Using the Nvidia Shield with a TV
  1 / 3    
Hello All, I just wanted to report my experience with using the Nvidia Shield with my TV. I have a 1080p Samsung Smart TV. I bought a Mini HDMI Cable and the shield showed right up. I also connected my wireless Xbox 360 controller to the Shield. All Android games work perfectly! I also used it in Steam Big Picture and it also worked well. The D-Pad didn't work in Steam, but the rest of the buttons were fine. The D-Pad did work for Android Apps and Games. So it's really great to see that the Shield has so much ability! I'm very happy with how that turned out. Really really great for emulators :) EDIT: So I took it a little bit farther. I connected a PS3 controller using a USB Cable and it worked perfectly. I took it a step further... I connected a custom SNES USB controller that I had purchased from eBay (looks and performs just like a SNES controller). This also worked flawlessly. Took it a step farther... I connected a USB Hub to the Shield and connected both the PS3 controller and the SNES controller at the same time. Both worked at the same time. This Shield is awesome!!!
Hello All,

I just wanted to report my experience with using the Nvidia Shield with my TV. I have a 1080p Samsung Smart TV. I bought a Mini HDMI Cable and the shield showed right up. I also connected my wireless Xbox 360 controller to the Shield. All Android games work perfectly! I also used it in Steam Big Picture and it also worked well. The D-Pad didn't work in Steam, but the rest of the buttons were fine. The D-Pad did work for Android Apps and Games.

So it's really great to see that the Shield has so much ability! I'm very happy with how that turned out. Really really great for emulators :)

EDIT: So I took it a little bit farther. I connected a PS3 controller using a USB Cable and it worked perfectly. I took it a step further... I connected a custom SNES USB controller that I had purchased from eBay (looks and performs just like a SNES controller). This also worked flawlessly. Took it a step farther... I connected a USB Hub to the Shield and connected both the PS3 controller and the SNES controller at the same time. Both worked at the same time. This Shield is awesome!!!

Comcast Cable 120/25 Mbps | Windows 8.1 Pro
Logitech G19 Keyboard | Steel Series WOW Mouse
Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R Case

Posted 08/06/2013 01:47 AM   
Good point... I need to order a cable.
Good point... I need to order a cable.

AMD FX-8150 @ 4.2 GHz | Asus Sabertooth 990FX | Noctua NH-D14 | 2x4GB + 2x2GB Patriot Viper Xtreme DDR3 1866 | MSI Geforce GTX 670 | AZZA Hurrican 2000R | PC Power & Cooling 750W | 2x120GB Intel X25-M RAID0 | 2x600GB WD VelociRaptor 10K RAID0 | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 | 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP 5900 | Windows 7 Professional x64 | Onkyo TX-SR805 | Panasonic TH-42PZ80U

Posted 08/06/2013 02:49 AM   
Real boxing has issues with HDMI output, seems the overlays are not working and only shows the 3d rendering. Other than that one game, HDMI output seems to be fine. On the OTG cable, can we use a powered OTG cable like this one? [IMG]http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o659/miguelvp1/picsay-1375752298_zpsd15fe9c7.jpg[/IMG] Would love to be able to keep the Shield charged while tethered. Also I have a USB Hub/Ethernet dongle that I would like to be able to use.
Real boxing has issues with HDMI output, seems the overlays are not working and only shows the 3d rendering.
Other than that one game, HDMI output seems to be fine.

On the OTG cable, can we use a powered OTG cable like this one?

Would love to be able to keep the Shield charged while tethered. Also I have a USB Hub/Ethernet dongle that I would like to be able to use.

Posted 08/06/2013 02:51 AM   
I know that Nyko has a Dock coming out for the Shield sometime soon that will both charge it and connect it to HDMI. The downside is that I don't believe that the dock has an USB Ports to connect your controllers to. So it would be nice to find a solution that allows you to both connect a USB Hub and charge the Shield. If someone finds something, let us all know.
I know that Nyko has a Dock coming out for the Shield sometime soon that will both charge it and connect it to HDMI. The downside is that I don't believe that the dock has an USB Ports to connect your controllers to. So it would be nice to find a solution that allows you to both connect a USB Hub and charge the Shield. If someone finds something, let us all know.

Posted 08/06/2013 04:20 AM   
The OTG power cable I posted right before your post should work, but I haven't order it yet (amazon has them for just a dollar)
The OTG power cable I posted right before your post should work, but I haven't order it yet (amazon has them for just a dollar)

Posted 08/06/2013 04:37 AM   
I hooked up my Shield too my HDTV the other day, run's great, but looks a little washed out. Coolers aren't as bright and crisp on the tv as they are on the shield screen. I know its only just 1280x720, but it shouldn't be that bad. Will try to get pictures when I can.
I hooked up my Shield too my HDTV the other day, run's great, but looks a little washed out.
Coolers aren't as bright and crisp on the tv as they are on the shield screen.

I know its only just 1280x720, but it shouldn't be that bad. Will try to get pictures when I can.

Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center / ASUS P8P67-M / Intel i7-2600K / 8GB DDR 2600 / EVGA GTX 760 SC 2G / 2TB SATA HD

Posted 08/06/2013 01:29 PM   
I've pretty much decided that the color on SHIELD (for the games I've tried anyway) is better than on my television. This is the first Android device with HDMI out that I've tried, so I've been going through apps like Hulu+ and TWCable. Hulu+ is perfect, though certain programs that are available on "computer" aren't available on "mobile"--as it happens, many that I like to watch :-(--so I've been enjoying essentially controlling my TV using SHIELD. TWCable, I discovered, won't let me connect an external monitor using HDMI. That doesn't surprise me at all, but it's pretty annoying. If I attach the cable in mid-program it stops playback. Another customer satisfaction coup for Time Warner Cable. One thing about HDMI output, however, is the volume control. It becomes all or nothing-slider full right, or full left. You have to control the volume on the TV.
I've pretty much decided that the color on SHIELD (for the games I've tried anyway) is better than on my television. This is the first Android device with HDMI out that I've tried, so I've been going through apps like Hulu+ and TWCable. Hulu+ is perfect, though certain programs that are available on "computer" aren't available on "mobile"--as it happens, many that I like to watch :-(--so I've been enjoying essentially controlling my TV using SHIELD.

TWCable, I discovered, won't let me connect an external monitor using HDMI. That doesn't surprise me at all, but it's pretty annoying. If I attach the cable in mid-program it stops playback. Another customer satisfaction coup for Time Warner Cable.

One thing about HDMI output, however, is the volume control. It becomes all or nothing-slider full right, or full left. You have to control the volume on the TV.

i5-3570K 3.4GHz * Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 * Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 * EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB * Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl ATX Mid Tower * Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V * Windows 7 Home Premium * Asus RT-AC66U

Posted 08/06/2013 03:21 PM   
As far as TV Shows go, HBOgo works, but Starz Play has problems displaying the correct aspect ratio. It scrunches the video up into a small letterbox even though the screen is properly rotated for landscape viewing. Hopefully this gets fixed.
As far as TV Shows go, HBOgo works, but Starz Play has problems displaying the correct aspect ratio. It scrunches the video up into a small letterbox even though the screen is properly rotated for landscape viewing. Hopefully this gets fixed.

Posted 08/06/2013 04:33 PM   
I thought I saw somewhere that the Shield uses an IPS panel. If that's right then that would be why colors are better on the Shield.
I thought I saw somewhere that the Shield uses an IPS panel. If that's right then that would be why colors are better on the Shield.

i5-2500K @ 4.2Ghz
MSI Twin Frozr III OC GTX 660 x2 SLI
8GB Corsair Vengeance XMP RAM
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM
Win8 Pro

Posted 08/06/2013 04:55 PM   
Does the screen on the Shield turn off when you use HDMI or can it be set to turn off while using HDMI?
Does the screen on the Shield turn off when you use HDMI or can it be set to turn off while using HDMI?

Posted 08/06/2013 05:01 PM   
Nope, the Shield screen stays on. If you close the lid, the Shield turns off both its display and the TV image. If there is a "clamshell" mode like you find in a Laptop, I'm not seeing a setting to enable it on the Shield. This may be a good feature to request as an update from Nvidia.
Nope, the Shield screen stays on. If you close the lid, the Shield turns off both its display and the TV image. If there is a "clamshell" mode like you find in a Laptop, I'm not seeing a setting to enable it on the Shield. This may be a good feature to request as an update from Nvidia.

Posted 08/06/2013 05:47 PM   
Really hoping they add 1920x1080 hdmi output soon. I'd love to use the Shield for more media streaming on my TV.
Really hoping they add 1920x1080 hdmi output soon. I'd love to use the Shield for more media streaming on my TV.

i7 2600k OC @ 4.5ghz
MSI GTX 680 Lightning
Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3
16gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
Samsung 830 SSD
Seasonic X650 Gold
Corsair 500R & H100

Posted 08/06/2013 06:14 PM   
So the shield output to tv isnt 1080p? Also, whats up with the steam bigpicture mode not working with the gamepad properly?
So the shield output to tv isnt 1080p?

Also, whats up with the steam bigpicture mode not working with the gamepad properly?

Posted 08/06/2013 06:38 PM   
On Friday, I could not get it to output 1080p (no matter what I tried). I emailed Nvidia about it and the rep told me the current maximum output is 1280x720. An update is supposed be coming soon to enable 1920x1080 (and beyond) in the near future. From what Will from Nvidia said in the Newegg Twitch Q&A thing last week, the patch to enable 1080p out should have been released by the time the Shield shipped.... but that has not happened yet, to my knowledge.
On Friday, I could not get it to output 1080p (no matter what I tried). I emailed Nvidia about it and the rep told me the current maximum output is 1280x720. An update is supposed be coming soon to enable 1920x1080 (and beyond) in the near future. From what Will from Nvidia said in the Newegg Twitch Q&A thing last week, the patch to enable 1080p out should have been released by the time the Shield shipped.... but that has not happened yet, to my knowledge.

i7 2600k OC @ 4.5ghz
MSI GTX 680 Lightning
Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3
16gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
Samsung 830 SSD
Seasonic X650 Gold
Corsair 500R & H100

Posted 08/06/2013 06:44 PM   
[quote="InsanityOnABun"]I thought I saw somewhere that the Shield uses an IPS panel. If that's right then that would be why colors are better on the Shield.[/quote] It's OLED. Thanks Adam, great to know regarding 1080p.
InsanityOnABun said:I thought I saw somewhere that the Shield uses an IPS panel. If that's right then that would be why colors are better on the Shield.

It's OLED.

Thanks Adam, great to know regarding 1080p.

AMD FX-8150 @ 4.2 GHz | Asus Sabertooth 990FX | Noctua NH-D14 | 2x4GB + 2x2GB Patriot Viper Xtreme DDR3 1866 | MSI Geforce GTX 670 | AZZA Hurrican 2000R | PC Power & Cooling 750W | 2x120GB Intel X25-M RAID0 | 2x600GB WD VelociRaptor 10K RAID0 | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 | 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP 5900 | Windows 7 Professional x64 | Onkyo TX-SR805 | Panasonic TH-42PZ80U

Posted 08/06/2013 09:21 PM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top