NVIDIA driver 320.49 WHQL freezing my PC
  7 / 28    
figo123: Well´you might be right, I dont really know what fixed mine. Btw, I just remembered another different thing I did after reinstalling my OS, I downloaded and installed all windows updates, that's something I NEVER did before. EDIT: Also, I did some of this "System Set Up and Optimizations" for the SSD/HDD from here: [url]http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds[/url] [i]Note: I'm just saying everything I can remember I did 'cause the problem seems to be really fixed for me.[/i] :3
figo123: Well´you might be right, I dont really know what fixed mine. Btw, I just remembered another different thing I did after reinstalling my OS, I downloaded and installed all windows updates, that's something I NEVER did before.

EDIT: Also, I did some of this "System Set Up and Optimizations" for the SSD/HDD from here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Note: I'm just saying everything I can remember I did 'cause the problem seems to be really fixed for me. :3

GPU: EVGA GeForve GTX560 Ti
CPU: Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz
Board: MSI x58m
PSU: KENTER 950W

Posted 08/22/2013 12:52 AM   
EXACTLY. I got the same issue my Graphic card is Nvidia Geforce 460 GTX and the display driver version is 320.49 WHQL and it always freezes my PC for a couple of seconds since startup of the computer and then it's fine but sometimes it stucks forever and sometimes it even makes this error. "display driver stop responding and has recovered" but it only happens once. I meant let's say I turned on the computer and my Pc freezes for a couple of seconds then it won't happen again (if the computer is automatically recovered ,but if it stucks forever then I have to restart to recover) until I restart the computer but after restarting the computer then following one of error happens 1. freezes the computer for a couple of seconds (no need to restart to unfreeze) 2. freezes the computer forever (need to restart to unfreeze) 3. stuck and display this error message " "display driver stop responding and has recovered" " (no need to restart to unfreeze)
EXACTLY. I got the same issue
my Graphic card is Nvidia Geforce 460 GTX and the display driver version is 320.49 WHQL and it always freezes my PC for a couple of seconds since startup of the computer and then it's fine but sometimes it stucks forever and sometimes it even makes this error.

"display driver stop responding and has recovered"

but it only happens once. I meant let's say I turned on the computer and my Pc freezes for a couple of seconds then it won't happen again (if the computer is automatically recovered ,but if it stucks forever then I have to restart to recover) until I restart the computer but after restarting the computer then following one of error happens

1. freezes the computer for a couple of seconds (no need to restart to unfreeze)
2. freezes the computer forever (need to restart to unfreeze)
3. stuck and display this error message "
"display driver stop responding and has recovered" "
(no need to restart to unfreeze)

Posted 08/22/2013 04:20 AM   
oh no this 320.40 was gonna screw up my graphic card -__- I was gonna uninstall it to revert back to an old driver then during the installation the computer went to black screen and showed nothing then after a couple of seconds later I heard the fan of the graphic card started rotating very fast (I heard the sound and I presume it must be like 100%) so NO DON"T INSTALL THE 320.49 DRIVER if you owned a graphic card which belongs to 400/500 SERIES because there is risk that your graphic card is gonna screw up and sometimes it might also freeze your computer. I saw one of person reported his/her graphic card was broken and many people also reported here their computer freezes so INDEED this 320.49 is a bugged driver. I installed back the 320.18 and apparently so far I got no issue. no freezing. :)
oh no this 320.40 was gonna screw up my graphic card -__-
I was gonna uninstall it to revert back to an old driver then during the installation the computer went to black screen and showed nothing then after a couple of seconds later I heard the fan of the graphic card started rotating very fast (I heard the sound and I presume it must be like 100%) so NO

DON"T INSTALL THE 320.49 DRIVER if you owned a graphic card which belongs to 400/500 SERIES because there is risk that your graphic card is gonna screw up and sometimes it might also freeze your computer. I saw one of person reported his/her graphic card was broken and many people also reported here their computer freezes so INDEED this 320.49 is a bugged driver.

I installed back the 320.18 and apparently so far I got no issue. no freezing. :)

Posted 08/22/2013 05:19 AM   
it has been like a couple of minutes and so far I got no freezing of my PC. I installed again 320.18 and apparently it's perfect and solid and so far no issue at all and I got nvidia 460 GTX graphic card.
it has been like a couple of minutes and so far I got no freezing of my PC.
I installed again 320.18 and apparently it's perfect and solid and so far no issue at all
and I got nvidia 460 GTX graphic card.

Posted 08/22/2013 05:28 AM   
Freezing my PC with 320.49 GTX 460 SE with Win7x64 (Two monitors connected). It happens not during games, even left the computer on and it froze after some time. It happens during normal work while browsing the internet or in documents. I removed the entire drivers and reinstalled cleanly and still it happened. This problem started on Aug 19 after I upgraded to 320.49. Before that everything was Ok. Nothing else changed in my system.
Freezing my PC with 320.49 GTX 460 SE with Win7x64 (Two monitors connected).
It happens not during games, even left the computer on and it froze after some time.
It happens during normal work while browsing the internet or in documents.
I removed the entire drivers and reinstalled cleanly and still it happened.
This problem started on Aug 19 after I upgraded to 320.49.
Before that everything was Ok.
Nothing else changed in my system.

Posted 08/22/2013 12:01 PM   
Problem solved here. I was getting the same error and freezing as others with the 320 driver. The event viewer reported this error: "The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found". I updated my BIOS a week ago and no problems since. I also did a clean install of the latest 320 driver. Maybe the clean driver install helps, but I'm pretty sure updating the BIOS did the trick. Hope this helps others. I realize not everyone has the same motherboard, so you may not even have a new BIOS revision, in which case best to try other remedies. I have an ASUS p8z77 pro motherboard (great board), and ASUS graphics card. I'm glad it's fixed. I now remember I had this same issue maybe 12 months ago, and went through the same pain. Can't recall what fixed it last time, but now I will remember to update BIOS and clean install drivers.
Problem solved here. I was getting the same error and freezing as others with the 320 driver. The event viewer reported this error: "The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found".

I updated my BIOS a week ago and no problems since. I also did a clean install of the latest 320 driver. Maybe the clean driver install helps, but I'm pretty sure updating the BIOS did the trick.

Hope this helps others. I realize not everyone has the same motherboard, so you may not even have a new BIOS revision, in which case best to try other remedies.

I have an ASUS p8z77 pro motherboard (great board), and ASUS graphics card. I'm glad it's fixed. I now remember I had this same issue maybe 12 months ago, and went through the same pain. Can't recall what fixed it last time, but now I will remember to update BIOS and clean install drivers.

Posted 08/22/2013 03:42 PM   
Crash_Reporter: Lucky you, but I really do not believe upgrading BIOS is the solution, Drivers after 314.22 are the ones that are buggy, not BIOS.
Crash_Reporter: Lucky you, but I really do not believe upgrading BIOS is the solution, Drivers after 314.22 are the ones that are buggy, not BIOS.

Posted 08/22/2013 04:26 PM   
I have screen freezes and i have to restart the pc, with diver 314.22 is ok but with 320.18 - 320.49 and 326.80 have screen freezes. Win 7 x64 SP1 MSI N460GTX HAWK 1GB 8GB DDR3 1600mhz AMD FX 8320 Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0
I have screen freezes and i have to restart the pc, with diver 314.22 is ok but with 320.18 - 320.49 and 326.80 have screen freezes.

Win 7 x64 SP1
MSI N460GTX HAWK 1GB
8GB DDR3 1600mhz
AMD FX 8320
Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0

Posted 08/22/2013 11:26 PM   
The screen freezes do not happen all the time for me. I have went for a week at a time without a screen freeze. Then during web browsing or game playing it just starts and gets to the point I have to quit. I deselected hardware acceleration in the browser and rolled back to 314.22, I really really don't want to dig out my old AMD card BUT I will use the computer, I paid good money for it and Nvidia had better pay attention and support their customers or they will leave. Months on end of not solving a problem isn't acceptable. We do understand that they have already got our money, the questions is will they get anymore.
The screen freezes do not happen all the time for me. I have went for a week at a time without a screen freeze. Then during web browsing or game playing it just starts and gets to the point I have to quit.

I deselected hardware acceleration in the browser and rolled back to 314.22, I really really don't want to dig out my old AMD card BUT I will use the computer, I paid good money for it and Nvidia had better pay attention and support their customers or they will leave. Months on end of not solving a problem isn't acceptable. We do understand that they have already got our money, the questions is will they get anymore.

Case: Corsair 500R
CPU: i7 3930K 4.2GHz
GPU: EVGA GTX-560 2GB
Monitors: HP2207 - HP2711
Cooler: Corsair H110 water
MB: ASRock x79 Extreme4
Memory: 16GB Corsair Sniper @ 2133MHz
PowerSupply: CoolMax 900
Win 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 08/22/2013 11:57 PM   
I rolled back to 314.22 too because whenever I exit from certain games they crash and one time the computer freezes but after installing 314.22 I got no issue. basically 320.49 is worse and .18 is a bit better but 314.22 is perfect.
I rolled back to 314.22 too because whenever I exit from certain games they crash and one time the computer freezes but after installing 314.22 I got no issue.

basically 320.49 is worse and .18 is a bit better but 314.22 is perfect.

Posted 08/23/2013 06:37 AM   
For all 400/500 Owners: Guys, lets send a driver feedback to Nvidia here: http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6 It is a quick survey to fill, these are the issues I am experiencing, so you can copy, add or delete information to the Nvidia guys: 1) Mouse cursor corruptions (mouse cursor changes to a vertical line or different shaped cursor) cursor color changes to yellow, magenta, red. 2) Mouse cursor disappears. 3) System freezes every 10 seconds 4) System freezes/locks up completely. 5) Symptoms occur randomly, it may happen when you just booted Windows or if PC stays on for about 24-72 hours. 6) There are no event warnings on windows after lock up.
For all 400/500 Owners:

Guys, lets send a driver feedback to Nvidia here:

http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6

It is a quick survey to fill, these are the issues I am experiencing, so you can copy, add or delete information to the Nvidia guys:

1) Mouse cursor corruptions (mouse cursor changes to a vertical line or different shaped cursor) cursor color changes to yellow, magenta, red.

2) Mouse cursor disappears.

3) System freezes every 10 seconds

4) System freezes/locks up completely.

5) Symptoms occur randomly, it may happen when you just booted Windows or if PC stays on for about 24-72 hours.

6) There are no event warnings on windows after lock up.

Posted 08/23/2013 09:35 PM   
[quote="Crash_Reporter"]Problem solved here. I was getting the same error and freezing as others with the 320 driver. The event viewer reported this error: "The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found". I updated my BIOS a week ago and no problems since. I also did a clean install of the latest 320 driver. Maybe the clean driver install helps, but I'm pretty sure updating the BIOS did the trick. Hope this helps others. I realize not everyone has the same motherboard, so you may not even have a new BIOS revision, in which case best to try other remedies. I have an ASUS p8z77 pro motherboard (great board), and ASUS graphics card. I'm glad it's fixed. I now remember I had this same issue maybe 12 months ago, and went through the same pain. Can't recall what fixed it last time, but now I will remember to update BIOS and clean install drivers. [/quote] +1 There it is, a bios update and clean drivers install solved the problem for me too! :D
Crash_Reporter said:Problem solved here. I was getting the same error and freezing as others with the 320 driver. The event viewer reported this error: "The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found".

I updated my BIOS a week ago and no problems since. I also did a clean install of the latest 320 driver. Maybe the clean driver install helps, but I'm pretty sure updating the BIOS did the trick.

Hope this helps others. I realize not everyone has the same motherboard, so you may not even have a new BIOS revision, in which case best to try other remedies.

I have an ASUS p8z77 pro motherboard (great board), and ASUS graphics card. I'm glad it's fixed. I now remember I had this same issue maybe 12 months ago, and went through the same pain. Can't recall what fixed it last time, but now I will remember to update BIOS and clean install drivers.

+1
There it is, a bios update and clean drivers install solved the problem for me too! :D

Posted 08/24/2013 12:49 AM   
Guys, just to report I tried this fix with latest beta driver, my PC has been stable for the last 17 hours: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/487441/geforce-500-400-series/gtx-560-ti-having-issues-or-not-narrowing-down-the-cause-of-reported-issues-/post/3885715/#3885715 I also did the following: Did not install Geforce Experience (may crash your firewall due to new Nvidia Shield feature),3D Vision or HD Audio (I did not need those options) Selected Clean Installation when installing Nvidia Drivers Disabled Hardware acceleration in Firefox and also Changed Power Management to Adaptive to Maximum Performance Change Multi Display performance to Single Display It looks good, my PC has been stable for 17 hours. No freezes yet. I will update if it stays stable.
Guys, just to report I tried this fix with latest beta driver, my PC has been stable for the last 17 hours:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/487441/geforce-500-400-series/gtx-560-ti-having-issues-or-not-narrowing-down-the-cause-of-reported-issues-/post/3885715/#3885715

I also did the following:

Did not install Geforce Experience (may crash your firewall due to new Nvidia Shield feature),3D Vision or HD Audio (I did not need those options)
Selected Clean Installation when installing Nvidia Drivers
Disabled Hardware acceleration in Firefox and also
Changed Power Management to Adaptive to Maximum Performance
Change Multi Display performance to Single Display

It looks good, my PC has been stable for 17 hours. No freezes yet.

I will update if it stays stable.

Posted 08/24/2013 05:37 PM   
figo123: nice to hear good news from you figo, hope it's finally fixed for you man, gl.
figo123: nice to hear good news from you figo, hope it's finally fixed for you man, gl.

Posted 08/25/2013 02:25 AM   
Rusomuscle: Thanks Mate, PC has been stable for almost 30 hours! I will keep you guys updated!
Rusomuscle: Thanks Mate, PC has been stable for almost 30 hours! I will keep you guys updated!

Posted 08/25/2013 04:30 AM   
  7 / 28    
Scroll To Top