670 SLI performance worse than single !?
  1 / 2    
Hey there. I recently got my second 670 (Asus 2GB) to put in 2-way SLI with my existing Gigabyte 670 OC edition. After hooking everything upp, I changed the SLI profile to "Maximize 3D performance" and I started BF3. I immediately noticed that the fps was slightly higher in small/undemanding areas and in the more GPU taxing areas, the FPS was significantly lower than just using one 670. Single GPU : 60-90ish Dual GPU : 50-110 I tried some other games like Crysis 3 and The Witcher 2 and I had the same problem there as well although the peaks was more like a 5 fps increase. So basically the peak performance has increased a little bit but the minimum fps has gotten lower. Even if it where to stay on peak performance all the time it still would be less than acceptable. If you have any theories or trouble shooting suggestions to fix this problem, I would really appreciate a reply! Thanks!
Hey there.

I recently got my second 670 (Asus 2GB) to put in 2-way SLI with my existing Gigabyte 670 OC edition.

After hooking everything upp, I changed the SLI profile to "Maximize 3D performance" and I started BF3.

I immediately noticed that the fps was slightly higher in small/undemanding areas and in the more GPU taxing areas, the FPS was significantly lower than just using one 670.

Single GPU : 60-90ish
Dual GPU : 50-110

I tried some other games like Crysis 3 and The Witcher 2 and I had the same problem there as well although the peaks was more like a 5 fps increase.

So basically the peak performance has increased a little bit but the minimum fps has gotten lower.

Even if it where to stay on peak performance all the time it still would be less than acceptable.

If you have any theories or trouble shooting suggestions to fix this problem, I would really appreciate a reply!

Thanks!

Posted 06/04/2013 02:52 AM   
What are the rest of your system specs? What are you using to monitor FPS? Are you aware of each cards clockspeed while running in SLI?
[quote="-{RaptoR}-"]What are the rest of your system specs? What are you using to monitor FPS? Are you aware of each cards clockspeed while running in SLI?[/quote] My system specs are: Asus sabertooth x79 Intel i7 3820 3.6GHZ 8 GB ram Windows 8. I use fraps to monitor FPS but I can notice the difference with fraps off as well. Not sure about the clockspeeds. The Gigabyte version is factory OC'ed while the ASUS should run at stock speeds.
-{RaptoR}- said:What are the rest of your system specs?
What are you using to monitor FPS?
Are you aware of each cards clockspeed while running in SLI?

My system specs are:

Asus sabertooth x79
Intel i7 3820 3.6GHZ
8 GB ram
Windows 8.

I use fraps to monitor FPS but I can notice the difference with fraps off as well.

Not sure about the clockspeeds. The Gigabyte version is factory OC'ed while the ASUS should run at stock speeds.

Posted 06/04/2013 11:14 AM   
If all three games exhibit similar 'problem', maybe the SLI is not functioning properly. So, it is good to ascertain, first of all, that the SLI is working fine. I suggest, instead of playing through some real games, using a few benchmarks (gaming and synthetic). This should be more reliable. For example, Metro 2033, Crysis series and Heaven. Another trouble shooting step is to observe the GPU usage (in %) and temperature (in degree C) of the 2 cards. Use Afterburner (free download from MSI) is a good choice. If SLI is working properly, both cards should be loaded with high % usage and in high temp. And, of course, you can turn on the SLI Visual Indicator in the Control Panel as well as a further reference.
If all three games exhibit similar 'problem', maybe the SLI is not functioning properly.

So, it is good to ascertain, first of all, that the SLI is working fine.
I suggest, instead of playing through some real games, using a few benchmarks (gaming and synthetic). This should be more reliable.
For example, Metro 2033, Crysis series and Heaven.

Another trouble shooting step is to observe the GPU usage (in %) and temperature (in degree C) of the 2 cards. Use Afterburner (free download from MSI) is a good choice. If SLI is working properly, both cards should be loaded with high % usage and in high temp.

And, of course, you can turn on the SLI Visual Indicator in the Control Panel as well as a further reference.

Posted 06/04/2013 01:10 PM   
I get around 3000 Points in the "Unigine Valley" benchmark with SLI and 2000 points with only one. I benchmarked Metro 2033 in SLI and got these scores: Average Framerate: 61.33 Max. Framerate: 287.69 Min. Framerate: 7.94 Both benchmarks where running at max settings and in 1080p. I activated the SLI visual indicator. In Battlefield 3 it was almost filling the bar up at spawn where there is nothing going on but at a base with a lot of action it shrunk and became smaller. Not sure about the temperature but running the fans at 100% does not change a thing :\
I get around 3000 Points in the "Unigine Valley" benchmark with SLI and 2000 points with only one.

I benchmarked Metro 2033 in SLI and got these scores:

Average Framerate: 61.33
Max. Framerate: 287.69
Min. Framerate: 7.94

Both benchmarks where running at max settings and in 1080p.

I activated the SLI visual indicator. In Battlefield 3 it was almost filling the bar up at spawn where there is nothing going on but at a base with a lot of action it shrunk and became smaller.

Not sure about the temperature but running the fans at 100% does not change a thing :\

Posted 06/04/2013 02:45 PM   
I noticed in MSI kombustor that the second GPU load is only 1-2% while the other one is running at 96% [img]http://puu.sh/38aXC.jpg[/img]
I noticed in MSI kombustor that the second GPU load is only 1-2% while the other one is running at 96%

Posted 06/04/2013 02:53 PM   
Sorry for bumping!
Sorry for bumping!

Posted 06/04/2013 06:26 PM   
[quote="SpecialHam"]I get around 3000 Points in the "Unigine Valley" benchmark with SLI and 2000 points with only one. I benchmarked Metro 2033 in SLI and got these scores: Average Framerate: 61.33 Max. Framerate: 287.69 Min. Framerate: 7.94 Both benchmarks where running at max settings and in 1080p. I activated the SLI visual indicator. In Battlefield 3 it was almost filling the bar up at spawn where there is nothing going on but at a base with a lot of action it shrunk and became smaller. Not sure about the temperature but running the fans at 100% does not change a thing :\ [/quote] Do you have the game PhysX on etc? seems a tad slow with GTX 670 SLI
SpecialHam said:I get around 3000 Points in the "Unigine Valley" benchmark with SLI and 2000 points with only one.

I activated the SLI visual indicator. In Battlefield 3 it was almost filling the bar up at spawn where there is nothing going on but at a base with a lot of action it shrunk and became smaller.

Not sure about the temperature but running the fans at 100% does not change a thing :\

Do you have the game PhysX on etc?

seems a tad slow with GTX 670 SLI

I have been a vegan since 1969. I have experienced more prejudice than anyone can possibly imagine. So much for my civil rights.

Posted 06/04/2013 07:15 PM   
[quote="vegan"][quote="SpecialHam"]I get around 3000 Points in the "Unigine Valley" benchmark with SLI and 2000 points with only one. I benchmarked Metro 2033 in SLI and got these scores: Average Framerate: 61.33 Max. Framerate: 287.69 Min. Framerate: 7.94 Both benchmarks where running at max settings and in 1080p. I activated the SLI visual indicator. In Battlefield 3 it was almost filling the bar up at spawn where there is nothing going on but at a base with a lot of action it shrunk and became smaller. Not sure about the temperature but running the fans at 100% does not change a thing :\ [/quote] Do you have the game PhysX on etc? seems a tad slow with GTX 670 SLI [/quote] Physx On/off doesn't change a thing.
vegan said:
SpecialHam said:I get around 3000 Points in the "Unigine Valley" benchmark with SLI and 2000 points with only one.

Do you have the game PhysX on etc?

seems a tad slow with GTX 670 SLI

Physx On/off doesn't change a thing.

Posted 06/04/2013 07:22 PM   
get into add/remove and see if there is a PhysX driver installed
get into add/remove and see if there is a PhysX driver installed

I have been a vegan since 1969. I have experienced more prejudice than anyone can possibly imagine. So much for my civil rights.

Posted 06/04/2013 07:35 PM   
Found this: Nvidia PhysX System software 9.12.1031
Found this: Nvidia PhysX System software 9.12.1031

Posted 06/04/2013 07:44 PM   
Isn't there a way to contact Nvidia directly about this problem? Cant find their support email anywhere.
Isn't there a way to contact Nvidia directly about this problem? Cant find their support email anywhere.

Posted 06/04/2013 10:24 PM   
Metro 2033 and Last Light runs pretty good and the SLI Visual Indicator is almost whole green. In Battlefield 3, only a fourth of the green bar is filled and textures look really blurry from 3 meters and furhter. (Anisotropic filtering isn't working?) I have everything set to "ultra"
Metro 2033 and Last Light runs pretty good and the SLI Visual Indicator is almost whole green.

In Battlefield 3, only a fourth of the green bar is filled and textures look really blurry from 3 meters and furhter. (Anisotropic filtering isn't working?)

I have everything set to "ultra"

Posted 06/05/2013 12:30 AM   
[quote="SpecialHam"]I get around 3000 Points in the "Unigine Valley" benchmark with SLI and 2000 points with only one. I benchmarked Metro 2033 in SLI and got these scores: Average Framerate: 61.33 Max. Framerate: 287.69 Min. Framerate: 7.94 Both benchmarks where running at max settings and in 1080p. I activated the SLI visual indicator. In Battlefield 3 it was almost filling the bar up at spawn where there is nothing going on but at a base with a lot of action it shrunk and became smaller. Not sure about the temperature but running the fans at 100% does not change a thing :\ [/quote] 1) These numbers seem to say that SLI is working properly, at least for these 2 applications. For Unigine Valley, single GTX670 should have around 2000 points while SLI gives around 3000 points. And these are what you are getting. Good sign. For Metro 2033 benchmark, you did not say the score for a single GTX670. But for SLI, the fps should be around 60-65 and so your 61.33 looks good to me. Now, I suggest you to play BF3 for a few minutes and then check the GPU usage graphs for GPU1 and GPU2 with Afterburner. -if both GPU1 and GPU2 give a similar shape graph at high %, then SLI is working (for this game) and is scaling well -if both GPU1 and GPU2 give a similar shape graph at low %, then SLI is working (for this game) but is not scaling well. This not-well-scaling may be due to poor driver or bad game coding. -if GPU1 and GPU2 give different shape graph (usually one with high % and the other with low %), then SLI is not working at all. 2) When you play BF3, have you disabled the VSync? I suspect you are using a 120Hz monitor and Vsync is enabled (either in the game or in Nvidia Control Panel). This caps the fps to 120. And, this might explain why you are getting around 110 with SLI. If you have max fps at 90 with a single GTX670, you should expect to get max fps well above 120 with SLI. 3) For hardware problem, you need to contact the manufacturer of the card (Asus or Gigabyte). For software problem, I do not think Nvidia can give personal support. Even this forum is a user-to-user forum with moderators giving minimum tech support.

1) These numbers seem to say that SLI is working properly, at least for these 2 applications.

For Unigine Valley, single GTX670 should have around 2000 points while SLI gives around 3000 points. And these are what you are getting. Good sign.

For Metro 2033 benchmark, you did not say the score for a single GTX670. But for SLI, the fps should be around 60-65 and so your 61.33 looks good to me.

Now, I suggest you to play BF3 for a few minutes and then check the GPU usage graphs for GPU1 and GPU2 with Afterburner.
-if both GPU1 and GPU2 give a similar shape graph at high %, then SLI is working (for this game) and is scaling well
-if both GPU1 and GPU2 give a similar shape graph at low %, then SLI is working (for this game) but is not scaling well. This not-well-scaling may be due to poor driver or bad game coding.
-if GPU1 and GPU2 give different shape graph (usually one with high % and the other with low %), then SLI is not working at all.

2) When you play BF3, have you disabled the VSync? I suspect you are using a 120Hz monitor and Vsync is enabled (either in the game or in Nvidia Control Panel). This caps the fps to 120. And, this might explain why you are getting around 110 with SLI. If you have max fps at 90 with a single GTX670, you should expect to get max fps well above 120 with SLI.

3) For hardware problem, you need to contact the manufacturer of the card (Asus or Gigabyte).
For software problem, I do not think Nvidia can give personal support. Even this forum is a user-to-user forum with moderators giving minimum tech support.

Posted 06/05/2013 12:32 AM   
I played BF3 for a couple of minutes and these were the results: [img]http://puu.sh/38zk7.png[/img] It look like one of the cards isnt getting enough power ?
I played BF3 for a couple of minutes and these were the results:

It look like one of the cards isnt getting enough power ?

Posted 06/05/2013 01:20 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top