Windows 7 Animation lag
  1 / 2    
First thing, my specs: CPU: 2600k @ 4.6GHz GPU: 2 MSI 680s in SLI 2GB Mobo: Maximus V Formula Sound: X-Fi Titanium SSD: Crucial M4 256GB RAM: 16GB G.skill 1600MHz OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Java version: 7, latest. Driver version: 314.21 So basically, the exact situation is, I have 2 monitors. 1080p each. If I'm say...watching youtube on my second monitor, and try to move windows around on my main display, it's laggy. As it FPS lag like. However, that laggy animation stops if I move the window to the same monitor as the playing youtube video. Buttery smooth. This happens with regular video files as well, HD or otherwise, not just youtube. So basically, everything opposite the monitor where any sort of video is playing (or skype is open and in view) is laggy. Not like slow motion or anything, just laggy. You get it I'm sure. My issue is, with my hardware, this shouldn't be happening; and this is the first time I've used Win 7 with Nvidia cards (was using 8 and had to switch back, as it was the cause of Minecraft GL crashes)....so there could be a setting I'm missing. I need help...but please spare me the obvious:P I've updated my drivers (and downgraded), my SSD is fine, my RAM is fine etc.
First thing, my specs:
CPU: 2600k @ 4.6GHz
GPU: 2 MSI 680s in SLI 2GB
Mobo: Maximus V Formula
Sound: X-Fi Titanium
SSD: Crucial M4 256GB
RAM: 16GB G.skill 1600MHz
Java version: 7, latest.
Driver version: 314.21

So basically, the exact situation is, I have 2 monitors. 1080p each. If I'm say...watching youtube on my second monitor, and try to move windows around on my main display, it's laggy. As it FPS lag like. However, that laggy animation stops if I move the window to the same monitor as the playing youtube video. Buttery smooth. This happens with regular video files as well, HD or otherwise, not just youtube.

So basically, everything opposite the monitor where any sort of video is playing (or skype is open and in view) is laggy. Not like slow motion or anything, just laggy. You get it I'm sure.

My issue is, with my hardware, this shouldn't be happening; and this is the first time I've used Win 7 with Nvidia cards (was using 8 and had to switch back, as it was the cause of Minecraft GL crashes)....so there could be a setting I'm missing.

I need help...but please spare me the obvious:P I've updated my drivers (and downgraded), my SSD is fine, my RAM is fine etc.

CPU: 3770k @ 4.8GHz | GPU: 2xGTX 680 | RAM: 16GB 2133MHz G.SKILL | MOBO: MAXIMUS V FORMULA | SOUND: CREATIVE X-FI TITANIUM | WINDOWS 8.1 PRO 64 Bit

Posted 03/22/2013 05:53 AM   
Is your NVIDIA Control Panel set to "Multiple display performance mode" (found in 3D Settings -> Manage 3D settings). Here's what I mean: [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mCcBni6l.png[/IMG]
Is your NVIDIA Control Panel set to "Multiple display performance mode" (found in 3D Settings -> Manage 3D settings). Here's what I mean: Image

EVGA GeForce GTX 280 (01G-P3-1282-AR) (factory overclocked)
AMD Phenom II X4 840T 2.9 Ghz
HP Pavilion p6774y
6 GB of RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Posted 03/22/2013 06:33 AM   
Yes it is set to multi display performance.
Yes it is set to multi display performance.

CPU: 3770k @ 4.8GHz | GPU: 2xGTX 680 | RAM: 16GB 2133MHz G.SKILL | MOBO: MAXIMUS V FORMULA | SOUND: CREATIVE X-FI TITANIUM | WINDOWS 8.1 PRO 64 Bit

Posted 03/22/2013 06:46 AM   
Nothing? :( No offense to Nvidia, but I was always told AMD had crap software and driver support. I've been dealt nothing but shoddy bug ridden crap since I got my nvidia cards. First it was OGL sucking under windows 8, than it's dual monitor animation lag on Windows 7. Atrocious. There has to be a solution...
Nothing? :(

No offense to Nvidia, but I was always told AMD had crap software and driver support. I've been dealt nothing but shoddy bug ridden crap since I got my nvidia cards.

First it was OGL sucking under windows 8, than it's dual monitor animation lag on Windows 7. Atrocious.

There has to be a solution...

Posted 03/22/2013 10:03 PM   
Hi. I have the exact same problem and I'm about to go crazy! I have tried almost everything there is to try and nothing has worked !!!! Have Googled for hours and hours not found a single solution, the only thing I can find is more of the same problems that we have! So now I have registered on NVIDIA forums to try to get SOME real help plz! My specs: CPU: LGA2011 Intel 3930k 6 core @ 4.5GHz GPU: ASUS GTX 680 DirectCUII TOP 2GB Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme x79 Sound: Asus xonar stx SSD: 2x Intel 520 240gb and one 1TB WD black RAM: 32gb corsair 1866mhz OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Driver version: 314.07 My computer screens are: Samsung 27" S27A950D LED 120Hz @ DVI Dual Link Benq 24" xl2420t LED 120Hz @ DVI Dual Link Really hope to get this resolved once and for all! // Sweden =) EDIT: One thing I noticed is that the video card down clocks is self to 324.0 mhz, and that's when it starts to chop/lagg between the screens if I should move around a window. BUT sometimes it jumps up to 862.3 mhz and then the lagg stops and everything starts to work better (And it only happens in a little while until it sets down to 324.0 mhz again) Last but not least it jumps up to 1136.6 mhz and the lagg/chopyness totally stops and everything works as it is supposed to do............ WTF NVIDIA??? And that only happens in a little while until it sets down to 324.0 mhz again, same as the 862.3 mhz "stage" ! And please do not tell me to OC the 2D mode =p PLZ help..
Hi.

I have the exact same problem and I'm about to go crazy!

I have tried almost everything there is to try and nothing has worked !!!!

Have Googled for hours and hours not found a single solution, the only thing I can find is more of the same problems that we have!

So now I have registered on NVIDIA forums to try to get SOME real help plz!

My specs:
CPU: LGA2011 Intel 3930k 6 core @ 4.5GHz
GPU: ASUS GTX 680 DirectCUII TOP 2GB
Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme x79
Sound: Asus xonar stx
SSD: 2x Intel 520 240gb and one 1TB WD black
RAM: 32gb corsair 1866mhz
Driver version: 314.07

My computer screens are:

Samsung 27" S27A950D LED 120Hz @ DVI Dual Link
Benq 24" xl2420t LED 120Hz @ DVI Dual Link

Really hope to get this resolved once and for all!

// Sweden =)

EDIT: One thing I noticed is that the video card down clocks is self to 324.0 mhz, and that's when it starts to chop/lagg between the screens if I should move around a window.

BUT sometimes it jumps up to 862.3 mhz and then the lagg stops and everything starts to work better (And it only happens in a little while until it sets down to 324.0 mhz again)

Last but not least it jumps up to 1136.6 mhz and the lagg/chopyness totally stops and everything works as it is supposed to do............ WTF NVIDIA??? And that only happens in a little while until it sets down to 324.0 mhz again, same as the 862.3 mhz "stage" !

And please do not tell me to OC the 2D mode =p

PLZ help..

Posted 03/23/2013 01:14 AM   
Nothing?... No one who can help? =/
Nothing?... No one who can help? =/

Posted 03/24/2013 12:35 AM   
Come on, this bug is NVIDIA EXCLUSIVE. A LOT of people have it. Is Nvidia really this incompetent? NEVER had these issues with AMD. The second I switch to Nvidia, nothing but inconvenience.
Come on, this bug is NVIDIA EXCLUSIVE. A LOT of people have it.

Is Nvidia really this incompetent? NEVER had these issues with AMD. The second I switch to Nvidia, nothing but inconvenience.

Posted 03/24/2013 09:47 AM   
[quote="McLightning"]Come on, this bug is NVIDIA EXCLUSIVE. A LOT of people have it. Is Nvidia really this incompetent? NEVER had these issues with AMD. The second I switch to Nvidia, nothing but inconvenience.[/quote] apparently they're exactly as you say =/
McLightning said:Come on, this bug is NVIDIA EXCLUSIVE. A LOT of people have it.

Is Nvidia really this incompetent? NEVER had these issues with AMD. The second I switch to Nvidia, nothing but inconvenience.

apparently they're exactly as you say =/

Posted 03/24/2013 03:51 PM   
There are many people that complained about Windows 7 lag in general. As primarily a Windows XP user still, I could agree. NVIDIA technical support generally does not post in the forum on weekends. Call them incompetent if you want, but this is a user-to-user discussion forum after all.
There are many people that complained about Windows 7 lag in general. As primarily a Windows XP user still, I could agree.

NVIDIA technical support generally does not post in the forum on weekends. Call them incompetent if you want, but this is a user-to-user discussion forum after all.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 03/24/2013 04:09 PM   
I'm not calling them incompetent because they aren't posting. I'm calling them incompetent because Windows 7 has been out since 2009 and a bug like this still exists. I'm desperately wanting this fixed, and REALLY want to know why so many crackpots out there say they have better drivers than AMD? Seriously. I went Nvidia this time because I fell in love with Physx. The second I switch I get nothing but bugs. OGL errors in Windows 8, so I switch back to 7 and guess what? These useless cards can't even run AERO properly on dual monitors. I would understand if I was running a low end discreet card; but I'm running 2 of their high end flagship cards. Fix your god damn drivers, Nvidia, I paid well over $1000 for my cards, I want my money's worth. I appreciate your input, but if you're just here to stick up for Nvidia like a fanboy instead of letting them own up to this NOTORIOUS problem that's been happening since 7 was released, than please spare us. Sorry if that offends you, but it has to be said. Your input in your post above is generally useless.
I'm not calling them incompetent because they aren't posting. I'm calling them incompetent because Windows 7 has been out since 2009 and a bug like this still exists.

I'm desperately wanting this fixed, and REALLY want to know why so many crackpots out there say they have better drivers than AMD? Seriously. I went Nvidia this time because I fell in love with Physx. The second I switch I get nothing but bugs. OGL errors in Windows 8, so I switch back to 7 and guess what? These useless cards can't even run AERO properly on dual monitors. I would understand if I was running a low end discreet card; but I'm running 2 of their high end flagship cards.

Fix your god damn drivers, Nvidia, I paid well over $1000 for my cards, I want my money's worth.

I appreciate your input, but if you're just here to stick up for Nvidia like a fanboy instead of letting them own up to this NOTORIOUS problem that's been happening since 7 was released, than please spare us. Sorry if that offends you, but it has to be said. Your input in your post above is generally useless.

Posted 03/24/2013 08:04 PM   
Sigh, sold my cards. Bought 2 7970s. Nothing but problems since I went with this Nvidia junk. Might sound impatient, but this issue has existed since 2009 and Nvidia can't get their **** together.
Sigh, sold my cards. Bought 2 7970s.

Nothing but problems since I went with this Nvidia junk. Might sound impatient, but this issue has existed since 2009 and Nvidia can't get their **** together.

Posted 03/25/2013 10:51 PM   
No help from nvidia? .....
No help from nvidia? .....

Posted 03/26/2013 02:50 PM   
I really hate to see that this hasn't been fixed. I just built a new computer with the following specs and are experiencing these issues. GTX 770 4770k Asus VI Hero
I really hate to see that this hasn't been fixed. I just built a new computer with the following specs and are experiencing these issues.

GTX 770
Asus VI Hero

Posted 07/28/2013 06:54 AM   
I'm getting the same exact issue here. If anything is on my 2nd screen, even a skype window.. my main screen/desktop lags. Window trails, etc. Is there a fix or should I return these cards and go back to ATI? I just replaced my 2xATI cards for 2x760s.. I'm thinking this was a mistake. i72600k 16gb 2x760s Driver version: 320.49 Windows 7 Ultimate I also just tried the 326.41 beta drivers. Same problem!
I'm getting the same exact issue here. If anything is on my 2nd screen, even a skype window.. my main screen/desktop lags. Window trails, etc. Is there a fix or should I return these cards and go back to ATI?

I just replaced my 2xATI cards for 2x760s.. I'm thinking this was a mistake.

i72600k
16gb
2x760s
Driver version: 320.49
Windows 7 Ultimate

I also just tried the 326.41 beta drivers. Same problem!

Posted 08/18/2013 12:27 AM   
TL;DR: random lag issue with multiple displays/aero that goes away after you jerk a window, the video is better than a thousand words: https://vimeo.com/78497722 I'm having kind of related issue. Windows 7, GTX 690 in SLI mode, previously I had 3 displays connected to it (24", 30", 24"). This has caused a famous bug with screen flickering when the card changes power mode / memory frequency. It didn't occur with just 2 screens, but many years ago it did happen even with 2 screens when I used GTX 480 SLI setup. To workaround screen flickering issue with 3 displays I used Nvidia Inspector with Multi Display Power Saver tool. It lowers the clocks of the card when there are no heavy applications running and you can set apps that require higher clocks or configure the GPU load in % that should switch the power mode and clock up the card. It kind of worked, but it still flickered sometimes and occasionally I had the problem that is described in this thread (or something similar). Scrolling in browser became slower, typing text introduced lag, etc. I found that if I get any window and quickly drag it on the screen, this lag will disappear for some time (sometimes even for several hours), but it will then return at a random time. It appears that it has something to do with the apps you are running, the 3D features they are using and the GPU/Memory clocks the card chooses to use to handle these tasks. Sometimes the card algorithm fails and it sets lower clocks than needed for the comfortable work. Recently I decided to plug a TV to the same PC via HDMI and it introduced another problem, in SLI mode GXT 690 can handle 3 outputs maximum at the same time. I bought HDMI switcher to switch between TV and one of the displays with a button so that I don't have to close all the apps to disable SLI mode or plug/unplug different displays. This worked fine, but I got tired of flickering and occasional lags, so I bought GTX 660 card in addition to GTX 690, just to handle 2x24" displays which never run heavy 3D apps and are set to portrait mode. This also allowed to have SLI enabled on GTX 690 and 3 displays connected together with the TV at the same time. (2 displays to GTX 660, 1 display + TV to GTX 690). The above setup has completely fixed flickering. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the occasional lag that starts to affect the system until I quickly move some window across the screen. Users above said that it happens when the memory clock is @324MHz. On my system it works fine @324 most of the time until some random moment. Then I have to perform the window moving trick to fix it. At this point memory clock can go up, but will soon return back to 324Mhz already without the lag. As a workaround one can increase the P8 clocks to P5 clocks in Nvidia Inspector overclocking settings, but this will bring up the temperature and cooler speeds in idle mode which is not what most of us want. The problem is still there with 331.40 beta driver.
TL;DR: random lag issue with multiple displays/aero that goes away after you jerk a window, the video is better than a thousand words: https://vimeo.com/78497722

I'm having kind of related issue.

Windows 7, GTX 690 in SLI mode, previously I had 3 displays connected to it (24", 30", 24").

This has caused a famous bug with screen flickering when the card changes power mode / memory frequency. It didn't occur with just 2 screens, but many years ago it did happen even with 2 screens when I used GTX 480 SLI setup.

To workaround screen flickering issue with 3 displays I used Nvidia Inspector with Multi Display Power Saver tool. It lowers the clocks of the card when there are no heavy applications running and you can set apps that require higher clocks or configure the GPU load in % that should switch the power mode and clock up the card.

It kind of worked, but it still flickered sometimes and occasionally I had the problem that is described in this thread (or something similar). Scrolling in browser became slower, typing text introduced lag, etc. I found that if I get any window and quickly drag it on the screen, this lag will disappear for some time (sometimes even for several hours), but it will then return at a random time.

It appears that it has something to do with the apps you are running, the 3D features they are using and the GPU/Memory clocks the card chooses to use to handle these tasks. Sometimes the card algorithm fails and it sets lower clocks than needed for the comfortable work.

Recently I decided to plug a TV to the same PC via HDMI and it introduced another problem, in SLI mode GXT 690 can handle 3 outputs maximum at the same time. I bought HDMI switcher to switch between TV and one of the displays with a button so that I don't have to close all the apps to disable SLI mode or plug/unplug different displays.

This worked fine, but I got tired of flickering and occasional lags, so I bought GTX 660 card in addition to GTX 690, just to handle 2x24" displays which never run heavy 3D apps and are set to portrait mode. This also allowed to have SLI enabled on GTX 690 and 3 displays connected together with the TV at the same time. (2 displays to GTX 660, 1 display + TV to GTX 690).

The above setup has completely fixed flickering. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the occasional lag that starts to affect the system until I quickly move some window across the screen.

Users above said that it happens when the memory clock is @324MHz. On my system it works fine @324 most of the time until some random moment. Then I have to perform the window moving trick to fix it. At this point memory clock can go up, but will soon return back to 324Mhz already without the lag.

As a workaround one can increase the P8 clocks to P5 clocks in Nvidia Inspector overclocking settings, but this will bring up the temperature and cooler speeds in idle mode which is not what most of us want.

The problem is still there with 331.40 beta driver.

Posted 10/11/2013 01:55 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top